Non-Key Tweets | Page 501 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
M. David Rudd is University of Memphis President:

Dr. M. David Rudd ‏@UofMemphisPres
May 1
Why U of M and Tiger athletics matter locally and nationally. Great story. Compelling data. Sharing it this week! pic.twitter.com/MwbM9G2Eoy

Dr. M. David Rudd ‏@UofMemphisPres May 1
More data on why Memphis matters. pic.twitter.com/ZIZXSC5eZM

Dr. M. David Rudd ‏@UofMemphisPres 13h13 hours ago
pic.twitter.com/bWiUIlt6D7

Swearingen20 6:36pm via Twitter for iPhone
@McMurphyESPN hearing it's Memphis & Cincinnati. Memphis is a top 5 tv market for college football & Cincy adds a bridge for West Va

Swearingen20 8:38pm via Twitter for iPhone
@McMurphyESPN UCONN fans..F'ball drives ratings & expansion. U might be a huge tv market but no one watches or goes to UCONN football games
When you put out a tweet like that as a President this late in the game...desperation reigns!

Reaction Score
We better be doing something behind the scenes. Dave Benedicts comments at his press conference gave me some "here we go again" feelings. New AD at a time when a P5 league is expanding. Louisville and West Virginia showed last go round, all hands on deck are needed. Make promises that may cost you financially short term. Whatever it takes, pull out all the stops.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Need a Dooley bat signal for when a Twitter fool needs some educating...
upload_2016-5-2_23-50-20.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Need a Dooley bat signal for when a Twitter fool needs some educating...

A silhouette of a husky mounted on a giant spotlight on a roof?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 2h2 hours ago
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said data from Navigate Research indicates a football title game improves playoff chances by 4-5 percent.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN Chuck, 4-5% probability increase doesn't justify expansion without a network & increased revenues.

@ChuckCarltonDMN Any idea on the projections concerning B12N earnings & the $15M threshold necessary for UT?

@ChuckCarltonDMN Logic says UT would allow B12N if kept whole. But is there enough $ left over to justify expansion for the others?

@ChuckCarltonDMN Also have to point out that losing a CCG decreases odds of losing team making playoffs by 100%.

@ChuckCarltonDMN So -100% >> +4-5%.

Expansion_crush ‏@Expansion_Crush 2h2 hours agoAtlanta, IN
@ChuckCarltonDMN Which means add 2 to 4 teams or the BXII will be constituted by different schools in 2024?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
@Expansion_Crush @ChuckCarltonDMN what no one is saying is that expansion without increased $ does as much to doom B12 as doing nothing.

Expansion_crush ‏@Expansion_Crush 1h1 hour agoAtlanta, IN
@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN get to 12 then see what shakes with the other P5. 12 seems to be the natural number to sustain a conference

Andy smith ‏@Doctor_alesmith 1h1 hour agoBeachwood, OH
@Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN so Nebraska Iowa to the b12

@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN I think the BXII can still monetize on some things yet. CCG added markets etc

@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN Then the BXII is in a bad place either way of that's what it boils down to. But I don't think it's inevitable.

@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN I mean they will likely add 2 to 4 teams. Adding markets and recruiting areas close to the east coast helps.

@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN UCONN and Cincy would easily pay for themselves while adding recruiting and marketing areas

@Expansion_Crush @ChuckCarltonDMN Big 12 can only expand if the $ justifies doing so.

@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN I believe it will in the shadow of the recent Big Ten contract rumors.

@Expansion_Crush @ChuckCarltonDMN what no one is saying is that expansion without increased $ does as much to doom B12 as doing nothing.

RedDirtSport‏@RedDirtSport
Everything Boren has been stumping for is apparently best for the league If your AD sides with the LHN what happens next isn't OU's fault

Omega Supreme‏@OmegaSupreme914
Omega Supreme Retweeted RedDirtSport

Say it again! @Expansion_Crush

Expansion_crush ‏@Expansion_Crush 46m46 minutes agoAtlanta, IN
@OmegaSupreme914 @RedDirtSport OU looks at the separation of some schools and sees themselves being treated like less than peers.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 45m45 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 @RedDirtSport That's a stretch. Take a look at OU's revenues.

Expansion_crush ‏@Expansion_Crush 43m43 minutes agoAtlanta, IN
@theDudeofWV @OmegaSupreme914 @RedDirtSport Only in regards to T1.

RedDirtSport ‏@RedDirtSport 45m45 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 We're fine now. We won't be after 10 years of this horseshit

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 43m43 minutes ago
@RedDirtSport @Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 OU wants the B12 to survive because the B12 is best for OU.

RedDirtSport ‏@RedDirtSport 42m42 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 No. OU wants the Big 12 to adapt or we'll old yeller this bitch. Play time is over

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 40m40 minutes ago
@RedDirtSport @Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 Be careful of emotional analysis.

RedDirtSport ‏@RedDirtSport 39m39 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 added TCU over drunk cowboys. Boren has been analytical. Time to turn up heat

Jake TrotterVerified account‏@Jake_Trotter
Bowlsby: data from the consultant league hired shows having 12 teams w/ an 8-game conference schedule is best league model for reaching CFP

Chris Anderson ‏@CMAnderson247 55m55 minutes ago
Chris Anderson Retweeted Jake Trotter

But will the Big12 actually do something about it?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 47m47 minutes ago
@CMAnderson247 @Jake_Trotter But only increase chances 4-5%.
Didn't go through the whole DudofWV thing (I never can) but he's a moron for not realizing the 4-5% increase most likely accounts for (i.e., the simulation INCLUDES) scenarios where the higher ranked team loses the B12CCG.

Reaction Score
We better be doing something behind the scenes. Dave Benedicts comments at his press conference gave me some "here we go again" feelings. New AD at a time when a P5 league is expanding. Louisville and West Virginia showed last go round, all hands on deck are needed. Make promises that may cost you financially short term. Whatever it takes, pull out all the stops.

Well, we know he can make at least one call...

The day Benedict got hired:

Chris Del Conte, Director of Athletics, TCU
"Congratulations to the University of Connecticut on hitting a home run with its hire of David Benedict! He will be a perfect fit for the Huskies and Storrs. I have known David for quite some time and he's a winner! He has been in leadership capacities at several of the top Universities in the country and will draw upon those vast experiences. David will serve UConn and its constituents in a first-class manner. I'm very excited for him."

... and since the interweb and twitterverse are speculating abut a Texas, TCU and TT voting block on BIG12 expansion I sure hope he uses the "phone a friend" option often!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yeah but Del Conte is off to U-Dub. Anybody know exactly when?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well, we know he can make at least one call...

The day Benedict got hired:

Chris Del Conte, Director of Athletics, TCU
"Congratulations to the University of Connecticut on hitting a home run with its hire of David Benedict! He will be a perfect fit for the Huskies and Storrs. I have known David for quite some time and he's a winner! He has been in leadership capacities at several of the top Universities in the country and will draw upon those vast experiences. David will serve UConn and its constituents in a first-class manner. I'm very excited for him."

... and since the interweb and twitterverse are speculating abut a Texas, TCU and TT voting block on BIG12 expansion I sure hope he uses the "phone a friend" option often!

USF's "new" AD (hired in 2014) also has a relationship with Del Conte: Amid Big 12 expansion chatter, USF Bulls seek greater stature

"All those factors likely will be considered, as well as some less conspicuous ones (such as the fact TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte is a close friend and former co-worker of Harlan)."

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing that adding a directional school from Florida provides stability for the Big 12 in the future.

If the goal is to keep OU and UT in the fold long into the future, than you aren't going to do that by adding the 4th and 5th most prestigious football programs from the state, who have an academic reputation that is slightly better than CCSU.

Conferences are more than just what happens on the field or on the court. It's a financial agreement to that ties universities together and associates them with one another. From that perspective, do you think UT alums and administration want to be associated with USF?

Not going to happen.

If the Big 12 goes to 14 it will be with UConn, Cincy, BYU and Houston/Memphis before UCF/USF.

Reaction Score

Stop it. You are implying that there is something that we could have promised to get us in that would have gotten us in but we didn't do it. Do you have any evidence for that at all? That the ACC would have taken us if we added men's lacrosse, or if we agreed to expand the football stadium, and we said no?

There is no reason to think there is any reasonable commitment we would not make to get in the P%. So stop implying that this has been the case.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 3h3 hours ago
UCF won't get the nod for B12 Expansion. UCF is a great candidate for multiple reasons...except one.
ESPN working on ACCN for FSU/Miami 1st

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 3h3 hours ago
ESPN, for now, is not in the corner of UCF.Can you imagine a B12N with LHN folded in..with UCF as member..ESPN as Owner.. FSU saying WTH!?!?

Reaction Score
Stop it. You are implying that there is something that we could have promised to get us in that would have gotten us in but we didn't do it. Do you have any evidence for that at all? That the ACC would have taken us if we added men's lacrosse, or if we agreed to expand the football stadium, and we said no?

There is no reason to think there is any reasonable commitment we would not make to get in the P%. So stop implying that this has been the case.
All I know is west Virginia said to hell with exit notice time frame and said we will be there next year. Guess what? They were. The big East ended up getting a huge chunk of change out of them in the process. They had to get help from the big 12 to pay it. You think WVU regrets it? If I'm not mistaken you were pretty critical of WVU'S tactics to leave the Big East.

Could uconn have done,something similar? Probably not, but that shouldn't stop them from going the WVU route or some other less less than wholesome way this time around.

I still can't believe Louisville got picked over us, only because they didn't fit the profile of an acc school at the time.

To get beat out for a p5 spot by other former conference USA schools may be one dagger too many for the athletic program to overcome.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Didn't go through the whole DudofWV thing (I never can) but he's a moron for not realizing the 4-5% increase most likely accounts for (i.e., the simulation INCLUDES) scenarios where the higher ranked team loses the B12CCG.

Yeah, thought this as well. If The SEC and B1G are close to 100% locks for a playoff spot every season and the P12 is not far behind. A 5% bump could mean beating out the ACC most years. Statistically speaking.

Reaction Score
All I know is west Virginia said to hell with exit notice time frame and said we will be there next year. Guess what? They were. The big East ended up getting a huge chunk of change out of them in the process. They had to get help from the big 12 to pay it. You think WVU regrets it? If I'm not mistaken you were pretty critical of WVU'S tactics to leave the Big East.

Could uconn have done,something similar? Probably not, but that shouldn't stop them from going the WVU route or some other less less than wholesome way this time around.

I still can't believe Louisville got picked over us, only because they didn't fit the profile of an acc school at the time.

To get beat out for a p5 spot by other former conference USA schools may be one dagger too many for the athletic program to overcome.

I don't disagree with anything in this post. But it doesn't change the fact that we have no reason to believe that UConn failed to make any promise or take any act it could make or take that would have us in the P5 by now. Nor is there any reason to think we won't do what we are told we have to do if anyone ever makes us a real offer based on our commitments.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with anything in this post. But it doesn't change the fact that we have no reason to believe that UConn failed to make any promise or take any act it could make or take that would have us in the P5 by now. Nor is there any reason to think we won't do what we are told we have to do if anyone ever makes us a real offer based on our commitments.
What can say. I'm scared sheetless, the Big 12, will expand and we will get another "winners win, we are winning don't you worry about a thing email."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think you rode that bus one stop too far Biz. He's implying that Warde being a new AD, meant that he wasn't actively engaged in the CR the last time they shuffled the deck chairs. Now, it's fair to disagree with that position (and it's got problems on a few different levels) but he didn't say that anyone was refusing any concessions.

Hell, I'd rename Storrs Delanyville if that was what it took for a move.

Reaction Score
I think you rode that bus one stop too far Biz. He's implying that Warde being a new AD, meant that he wasn't actively engaged in the CR the last time they shuffled the deck chairs. Now, it's fair to disagree with that position (and it's got problems on a few different levels) but he didn't say that anyone was refusing any concessions.

Hell, I'd rename Storrs Delanyville if that was what it took for a move.
Eh, you could take it a step further and ask is there any evidence we DID do everything possible to get off the titanic? I doubt there was anything more they could have done, but I really admired how WVU begged, borrowed and stole to get into the Big12. The only thing I'll say,in defense of us is,that EVERYONE thought the ACC would take us. WVU got a no from the ACC and knew the Big East was no longer an acceptable home.

People forget Herbst was quoted as saying we have to stop and think if putting kids on a bus to Iowa to play sports is a,solution. I give her the benefit of being new at the time she said it, but like Fishy once said, I bet she'd drive the bus there herself now.

Reaction Score
The good news is it sounds like if the Big12 expands it is going to be based on the numbers. What numbers you ask? Well, whether Big12 expansion increases the chances of a playoff appearance, whether expansion increases total revenue for the existing 10 programs, whether expansion increases the possibility for a network, and whether expansion increases the likelihood the Big12 can survive in the future?

If the answer to the above questions is "yes - or at least mostly yes" then a pure numbers driven approach directly benefits UConn. Whether it is DMA, athletic budgets, academics, athletic success or name recognition UConn will rank at the top of the G5 list.

What UConn does not want is an ACC-like approach which involves Presidents voting for the teams they like or selecting a program based on the President/AD who builds the best personal relationship. UConn was always a P5 programs by the numbers...the only difference is the ACC did not use numbers as the penultimate decider. I don't think the Big12 is making the same error.

IMO the Big12 is handling potential expansion in a pure business manner and UConn is good for business. I completely understand why some BY posters are scared because we've been crushed before. That said, everything this time indicates the decision making metrics for the Big12 are exactly what UConn wants....a pure numbers driven assessment.

There is a reason posts are coming out of Memphis and other schools claiming "no one watches UConn football" or equally ridiculous subjective arguments. The reason is if you can't win with the cards in front of you then you need to change the game. UConn should have the cards in this game.

Personally I am more afraid the Big12 will not expand as opposed to the Big12 expanding and UConn not being selected. Maybe that will make the ball kick even more unbearable...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom