Non-Key Tweets | Page 470 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Does anyone know which hockey conference would produce the most revenue for UConn Hockey? I thought the B1G network paid out 2m per team last year.

Please don't tell me the B1G pays their hockey programs about the same as the AAC pays their schools for all of their basketball and football programs. I'm begging you not to tell me that. :eek:

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h2 hours ago
It also states B1G approached Notre Dame..B1G "sparked the conversation" with Notre Dame.
This happened late last year...as we tweeted out.

I'm generally a fan of how Flug conducts himself, but this one is nothing to take credit for. ND leaving Hockey East had been widely written about. Heck, it came from their own student newspaper last year with quotes from their coach.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I truly believe that @Dooley has impacted the Twitterverse.
To be clear, that doesn't have much effect on real world outcomes, but it does impact what we see and read.

The social media "work" that we all do is only to make our non-key thread reading more palatable. I can only take so much Memphis/Houston/UCF/USF/Temple CR talk before wanting to give up following college sports altogether.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The social media "work" that we all do is only to make our non-key thread reading more palatable. I can only take so much Memphis/Houston/UCF/USF/Temple CR talk before wanting to give up following college sports altogether.
Yeah, I hear you but we've seen the numbers you worked up pop up hear and there. They are becoming cannon. Now, does that impact the decision makers? Minimally, but I think it does in that it influences perception over time.

Keep it up.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I hear you but we've seen the numbers you worked up pop up hear and there. They are becoming cannon. Now, does that impact the decision makers? Minimally, but I think it does in that it influences perception over time.

Keep it up.

The decision makers like their fan bases to be happy with their decisions. If B12 fans or B1G fans like UConn, it makes it much easier for them to vote us in. I public perception is critical and it always has been. I was for an all out marketing push with full time employees tweeting, emailing and broadcasting UConn's virtues years ago. I emailed UConn on several occasions advocating this approach.

HFD was 100% right on the need for aggressive social media campaigns and advertising campaigns. That is the main reason I hated to see him go. He was crazy, but he did get "it", as far as perception and CR go.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 42m42 minutes ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Let's Play Hockey

@LetsPlay_Hockey has heard UNO-Miami,OH-ASU-UCONN 1 one those 4 becoming #8.

We only heard B1G talked w ASU-UCONN

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 39m39 minutes ago
And yes...this is confirmation.
As we stated B1G has talked with UCONN HCKY...convo started last year.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 38m38 minutes ago
But like almost always...our info is limited. We have no idea what UCONN has said back to B1G.
We wait with you.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 36m36 minutes ago
@DooleyMcStitch
It's the fans wish..my wish.
But as you see...UCONN is in play...or at least has been in play.
Will see

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 31m31 minutes ago
http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/3/23/11290782/notre-dame-joins-big-ten-hockey-2017

UCONN is a candidate for Big Ten HCKY...
We @flugempire reported this last year through BTM multiple times...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 30m30 minutes ago
Next Dinner with BTM is May.
I will give you a heads up in April-May.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 27m27 minutes ago
We have no idea...no info on level of interest from ASU & UCONN...only BTM stated B10 on Feb 5th had "perception" 2 out of 3 ASU/UCONN/ND

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 26m26 minutes ago
But we have no more info..
Im assuming we all get word on who #8 is before May's dinner with BTM.

Reaction Score
Flug's off-base here, unless the theory he's purporting is being done with an all-sports invite to follow. His football commentary has been good but in the past he's shown himself to not be the most knowledgeable in the realm of hockey. Discussions could have taken place informally between UConn and the B1G, but he should have his ear to the ground enough to know that all of the steam is behind ASU. There is absolutely none behind UConn.

Reaction Score
Um if you were Big 10 alumni wouldn't you already want the BTN in Phoenix? Why would Arizona State hockey be what changes your mind?

God some of this stuff is so dumb.

I think what he means is that Arizona is currently an out of market channel for the BTN and adding Arizona St would make Arizona an in market channel. Thus, the BTN could charge higher rates.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think what he means is that Arizona is currently an out of market channel for the BTN and adding Arizona St would make Arizona an in market channel. Thus, the BTN could charge higher rates.

It means they could try. Didn't work in PA. It's a meaningless distinction.

As if the Network's value is 8 fold because a local college hockey team has a handful of games on it.

It isn't what he said anyway. Why would the alumni care what the rate is?

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My personal opinion: B1G would add ASU for live games that alumni can attend. Not for any sort of TV boost. If they want Hockey TV, UConn or BC or BU would make far more sense.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I'm generally a fan of how Flug conducts himself, but this one is nothing to take credit for. ND leaving Hockey East had been widely written about. Heck, it came from their own student newspaper last year with quotes from their coach.
He seems like a rational guy. As such, he's good at making educated guesses. Same was the situation with the Maryland-ACC settlement. Everyone knew they were going to settle and there was a published mediation by date.

Reaction Score
Um if you were Big 10 alumni wouldn't you already want the BTN in Phoenix? Why would Arizona State hockey be what changes your mind?

Actually, it's almost the opposite of his point. Big Ten alum in Phoenix want the Big Ten network for reasons having nothing to do with hockey. But the thought that the rest of the Phoenix population is willing to pay for the Big Ten Network to gets 6 or 7 ASU hockey games is more bizarre than even most of the stupid things that we come up with.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hockey is not moving the needle an iota in terms of television and carrier fees.

My guess is that only a tiny subset of Big Ten alum/fans even care about hockey - and half the schools do not even play it.

So I'll wager that the number of Big Ten hockey fans currently drawing breath in Phoenix wouldn't fill a movie theater.

Reaction Score
If the B1G really had interest in our hockey and hoops and didn't want us to go down the shtter due to no revenue, they should just add us for all sports except football, where you could throw us 5-6 games a year to help us build our independent schedule, give us partial team payment to keep us afloat until the B1G is ready to add 1-3 new members once GOR's expire. You get our hoops, hockey, other olympic sports, the market, you get the B1G thrown on every CT TV etc.

Of course the easy answer is they don't have much interest since we aren't AAU and they don't do those ND type deals...or they have some interest but know the ACC won't move due to the ND deal and they feel that us potentially going to the Big 12 will be a nice incubator for us until they are ready to pluck us (if they even want to).

It may be crazy to suggest it but this is right forum for it. Oh well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They think both of ASU's hockey fans will also want BTN, and that critical mass will result in carriage.

Reaction Score
Hockey is not moving the needle an iota in terms of television and carrier fees.

My guess is that only a tiny subset of Big Ten alum/fans even care about hockey - and half the schools do not even play it.

So I'll wager that the number of Big Ten hockey fans currently drawing breath in Phoenix wouldn't fill a movie theater.

Though they would probably out-number fans of the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes, which, of course, is not saying much.

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 6h6 hours ago
Hearing this morning that FSU has told ACC they will challenge GOR validity in court this fall regardless of what conf they call home

Currently there are 8 ACC schools that will not sign a new GOR for extra ESPN $

FSU says they do not want to leave ACC but have to keep options open since ACC is going to fall further behind SEC and others

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste 7h7 hours agoIrmo, SC
@MH ver3 It will come down to TexA$$ giving up LHN for B12N. If that happens the ACC is dead, if not the B12 will die after GOR

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@Mountaineer_Ste I agree with this

@Mountaineer_Ste although I am hearing UT will play ball on LHN conversion but the details are the big hold up

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 52m52 minutes ago
@Mountaineer_Ste 15 mil,just the branding in Texas(minus Waco,Lubbock,FW) and keep original programming.

J ‏@UCONNfan14 23m23 minutes ago
@MH ver3 thats because they are due the money july 1st or 2nd know facts. /can't receive $ b4 the time it is due to conference its out online

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@UCONNfan14 no. I'm talking about $$ promised before launch of network.

J ‏@UCONNfan14 16m16 minutes ago
@MH ver3 they have reached that plateau and they will reach the other so with that said unless fsu recorded "secert meeting" w/ acc not void!

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 21m21 minutes ago
ESPN may help to keep UT "whole" during transition of LHN to B12N. ESPN knows it's for the best financially.

They are taking a beating on LHN. More content,more markets,more subscriber fees will lead to profit.

J ‏@UCONNfan14 21m21 minutes ago
@MH ver3 so it wont increase to price tag until 7/1/16 as stated in articles http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2016/03/what-is-future-of-acc-network.html…

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@UCONNfan14 they were supposed to be making more than that already. They were promised that. The extra $45m to the conf is because no ACCN

J ‏@UCONNfan14 12m12 minutes ago
@MH ver3 each school supposed to be at 19-20 M which they are you know nothing FSU more interested in SEC which they have been rumored as

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 4m4 minutes ago
@UCONNfan14 ok man. Whatever. Keep your head in the sand too

J ‏@UCONNfan14 5m5 minutes ago
@MH ver3 this is what espn has been doing which is why no network know your stuff they own ACC so why pay more $ http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/2/27/5453790/espn-launching-acc-network-plus-14-other-online-college-conference-channels…

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 2m2 minutes ago
@UCONNfan14 if you think that is the ACCN then you are the one who knows nothing. Jon snow

J ‏@UCONNfan14 1m1 minute ago
@MH ver3 thats what they have been doing also rumored to go digital with raycom insult all you want but u knew nothing of this flugar got it

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 16m16 minutes ago
And for those that think ND joining that northern conference in hockey is not a big deal...keep your head in the sand.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 15m15 minutes ago
I would divulge further but I can't right now.

ME: "Flugar got it" Ouch! :D

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Notre Dame Hockey

Notre Dame releases their statement

Greg Flugaur Retweeted
Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN · 2h2 hours ago
Jack Swarbrick’s statement is interesting. Travel part is true. The TV part is a shot at Hockey East.

Daniel Mountcastle ‏@Expansion_Crush · 2h2 hours ago  Atlanta, IN
@MikeMcMahonCHN @flugempire and could be used against ACC in 2024 if the situation doesn't change.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Expansion_Crush @MikeMcMahonCHN
Especially if NBC plays a role in partnering with FOX to get partial B1G Tier 1 TV package starting= 2017

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hearing this morning that FSU has told ACC they will challenge GOR validity in court this fall regardless of what conf they call home

Currently there are 8 ACC schools that will not sign a new GOR for extra ESPN $

FSU says they do not want to leave ACC but have to keep options open since ACC is going to fall further behind SEC and others

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste 7h7 hours agoIrmo, SC
@MH ver3 It will come down to TexA$$ giving up LHN for B12N. If that happens the ACC is dead, if not the B12 will die after GOR

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@Mountaineer_Ste I agree with this

@Mountaineer_Ste although I am hearing UT will play ball on LHN conversion but the details are the big hold up

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 52m52 minutes ago
@Mountaineer_Ste 15 mil,just the branding in Texas(minus Waco,Lubbock,FW) and keep original programming.

J ‏@UCONNfan14 23m23 minutes ago
@MH ver3 thats because they are due the money july 1st or 2nd know facts. /can't receive $ b4 the time it is due to conference its out online

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@UCONNfan14 no. I'm talking about $$ promised before launch of network.

J ‏@UCONNfan14 16m16 minutes ago
@MH ver3 they have reached that plateau and they will reach the other so with that said unless fsu recorded "secert meeting" w/ acc not void!

ESPN may help to keep UT "whole" during transition of LHN to B12N. ESPN knows it's for the best financially.

They are taking a beating on LHN. More content,more markets,more subscriber fees will lead to profit.

J ‏@UCONNfan14 21m21 minutes ago
@MH ver3 so it wont increase to price tag until 7/1/16 as stated in articles http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2016/03/what-is-future-of-acc-network.html…

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@UCONNfan14 they were supposed to be making more than that already. They were promised that. The extra $45m to the conf is because no ACCN

J ‏@UCONNfan14 12m12 minutes ago
@MH ver3 each school supposed to be at 19-20 M which they are you know nothing FSU more interested in SEC which they have been rumored as

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 4m4 minutes ago
@UCONNfan14 ok man. Whatever. Keep your head in the sand too

J ‏@UCONNfan14 5m5 minutes ago
@MH ver3 this is what espn has been doing which is why no network know your stuff they own ACC so why pay more $ http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/2/27/5453790/espn-launching-acc-network-plus-14-other-online-college-conference-channels…

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 2m2 minutes ago
@UCONNfan14 if you think that is the ACCN then you are the one who knows nothing. Jon snow

J ‏@UCONNfan14 1m1 minute ago
@MH ver3 thats what they have been doing also rumored to go digital with raycom insult all you want but u knew nothing of this flugar got it

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 16m16 minutes ago
And for those that think ND joining that northern conference in hockey is not a big deal...keep your head in the sand.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 15m15 minutes ago
I would divulge further but I can't right now.

ME: "Flugar got it" Ouch! :D

I have a picture of MH

th

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds