Non-Key Tweets | Page 472 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
If this rumor is true and UConn is talking to the B1G about some form of membership, hopefully full admission and not just hockey, I heard that Michigan's new AD knows a lot about UConn's value proposition.

Out of curiosity, say if UConn beat Michigan St in the conference quarterfinals and then won the B1G conference championship with 10 losses, what seed would have UConn gotten in the Dance? I would guess somewhere between a 4 and a 6 seed and not a 9 seed. Imagine if UConn was the 5 Seed in the West bracket replacing Baylor. UConn takes out Yale in the first round and then faces the 4 Seeded Tripping Blue Devils in Providence in the second round. That scene would have been nuts. Coach K would have a fit playing UConn at a 'neutral' court in Rhode Island. From there, while Oregon, A&M and Oklahoma are good teams; but, beatable. UConn could have made it to the Final 4 before likely falling to Kansas (again) in the semi-finals. To dream a little dream...

Reaction Score
I agree with you FDNY, but I would find it hard to believe that UConn would snub even a one sport offer of any sort from the B1G. I think they would have to accept the invitation and then work on full admission once they have one foot in the door. But.... this appears to be sheer speculation as you guys seem to have ASU already penned in the to B1G for hockey.

Reaction Score
There's no way that UConn Hockey gets the Big Ten network onto the basic cable tier. That's specialty programming.
You are probably correct, but that risk remains overwhelmingly not worth it IMO.

Not to mention the whole Hockey East being the SEC of college hockey with perfect geography for us.

Reaction Score
No sense putting the cart before the horse here but if hockey means anything, and apparently it does, the B1G would be very smart to invite UConn. Imagine Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan coming in to play double headers of hoops and hockey. That's how the B1G grows its hockey brand, recruiting in the bread basket of New England. Kids growing up playing hockey in CT and New York see B1G teams coming to town, I don't how much they will care that they don't have the history of boston schools. They are thinking Buckeyes, Wolverines, and Huskies!

Reaction Score
The B1G may provide the additional revenue and cover some of the increased travel costs. Didn't they provide Maryland with a travel stipend? Maybe we can also get some other sport scheduling with them.

Reaction Score
No sense putting the cart before the horse here but if hockey means anything, and apparently it does, the B1G would be very smart to invite UConn. Imagine Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan coming in to play double headers of hoops and hockey. That's how the B1G grows its hockey brand, recruiting in the bread basket of New England. Kids growing up playing hockey in CT and New York see B1G teams coming to town, I don't how much they will care that they don't have the history of boston schools. They are thinking Buckeyes, Wolverines, and Huskies!
If you want to think that way it would be Wolverines, Gophers and Badgers (if Minnesota and Wisconsin can ever get back at it again). Truth be told most of the B1G schools recruit out in the mid-west/west with Minnesota being the main producer of talent. The gopher's roster has 5 non-Minnesota kids on it (2 from Michigan, 1 from Alaska, and 1 from Sweden, 1 from Wisconsin)..although the kid form Alaska really doesn't count because ehe went to hs at Shattuck St Mary's in MN.

Attachments

• CeUuw8QXIAMwqzI.jpg-large.jpeg
    CeUuw8QXIAMwqzI.jpg-large.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 41
Reaction Score
The B1G may provide the additional revenue and cover some of the increased travel costs. Didn't they provide Maryland with a travel stipend? Maybe we can also get some other sport scheduling with them.
Hockey isn't football or basketball....they aren't going to bend over backwards to bring UConn in. Unless it's for all sports it isn't a good idea.

Reaction Score
If you want to think that way it would be Wolverines, Gophers and Badgers (if Minnesota and Wisconsin can ever get back at it again). Truth be told most of the B1G schools recruit out in the mid-west/west with Minnesota being the main producer of talent. The gopher's roster has 5 non-Minnesota kids on it (2 from Michigan, 1 from Alaska, and 1 from Sweden, 1 from Wisconsin)..although the kid form Alaska really doesn't count because ehe went to hs at Shattuck St Mary's in MN.
I know what you mean. I just meant kids watch football and think of conferences in those terms. Being able to play hockey and study engineering at Michigan might be a little more exciting than going to Northeastern. If they recruit primarily in the midwest, perhaps it's because they don't yet have a foothold in the northeast.

Reaction Score
I know what you mean. I just meant kids watch football and think of conferences in those terms. Being able to play hockey and study engineering at Michigan might be a little more exciting than going to Northeastern. If they recruit primarily in the midwest, perhaps it's because they don't yet have a foothold in the northeast.
You have to take football out of the equation here. Kids that play hockey on this level have one thing in mind...making it to the NHL. Why would schools come this far east when they have a state like Minnesota and can go over the border into Canada to get kids. Boston Metro area kids grow up wanting to play for BC, BU, Harvard etc...and no matter what wanting to playing the Bean Pot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I have no doubt, absolutely none, that the B1G would rather have UConn than ASU for hockey. But I also have no doubt that it would be a move that was very positive for the B1G and hugely negative for UConn, so it won't happen. All or nothing.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 4h4 hours ago
UCONN was mentioned again twice this morning as candidate for #8 in B1G HCKY.
1) Star & Tribune - "UCONN is established and good acedemics"

Steve Lance ‏@Slance66 · 4h4 hours ago
@flugempire Why would UConn do that? Leave a better, local league? They wouldn't.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Slance66
I don't know if UCONN wants to...you may be absolutely correct. Only be assured B1G has talked with Susan Herbst.

Reaction Score
Since we are playing fantasy land, who would accept this scenario?
UConn to B1G in Hockey, and in return they get 2H and 2A football games per season v. rotating B1G schools; AND
UConn to ACC in Olympic sports, and in return gets 2H and 2A football games per season v. rotating ACC schools; AND
UConn Independent in football and are the first option considered if either B1G or ACC conference is unable to fill their allotment of bowls and UConn is bowl eligible. UConn football home game TV rights are optioned to the visiting teams conference TV network and UConn gets paid a little something for it; AND
UConn signs an ACC GOR with a clause that they can get out of the GOR without penalty if another P5 conference offers them full membership with football included.

This guarantees UConn 8 football games per season (same as today), they bring in an FCS and find 3 more "OOC" teams. Problem solved.

Reaction Score
UConn to B1G in Hockey, and in return they get 2H and 2A football games per season v. rotating B1G schools; AND
UConn to ACC in Olympic sports, and in return gets 2H and 2A football games per season v. rotating ACC schools; AND
UConn Independent in football and are the first option considered if either B1G or ACC conference is unable to fill their allotment of bowls and UConn is bowl eligible. UConn football home game TV rights are optioned to the visiting teams conference TV network and UConn gets paid a little something for it; AND
UConn signs an ACC GOR with a clause that they can get out of the GOR without penalty if another P5 conference offers them full membership with football included.

This guarantees UConn 8 football games per season (same as today), they bring in an FCS and find 3 more "OOC" teams. Problem solved.

My head hurts.

Reaction Score

Yes. This. Because if the ACC wants anything its to have us be a member in basketball, to play us in football and to solve all our problems.

(Or, maybe, if the ACC wanted that we'd be in the ACC already.) Seriously, what is wrong with some of you? The ACC does not want us. If they do want us, they will invite us. But they are not going to pay us and put us on their network to co-brand us with the Big Ten. And if you say "but aren't they now doing that for Notre Dame," the answers are (i) yes, but no matter how many times some of you make this comparison we are not Notre Dame when it comes to market power, and (ii) I doubt the ACC is happy about what Notre Dame is doing but they probably don't have the contractual power to stop it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. This. Because if the ACC wants anything its to have us be a member in basketball, to play us in football and to solve all our problems.

(Or, maybe, if the ACC wanted that we'd be in the ACC already.) Seriously, what is wrong with some of you? The ACC does not want us. If they do want us, they will invite us. But they are not going to pay us and put us on their network to co-brand us with the Big Ten. And if you say "but aren't they now doing that for Notre Dame," the answers are (i) yes, but no matter how many times some of you make this comparison we are not Notre Dame when it comes to market power, and (ii) I doubt the ACC is happy about what Notre Dame is doing but they probably don't have the contractual power to stop it.
He did call it "fantasy land"

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Slance66
I don't know if UCONN wants to...you may be absolutely correct. Only be assured B1G has talked with Susan Herbst.
But that can't be right because I read on this board that Susan doesn't care about sports. Even though she had a quote that the athletics programs are the "front porch" of the university. And was encouraging people to go to football games. And then UConn did the #UConn6thBorough campaign. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut the smart people know it's all an elaborate act and she would be happy if all the sports programs went the way of BC basketball and football.

#boneyardin'

Reaction Score

Not to channel "billybud," and invoke mythology, but you've just redefined "Sisyphean."

Reaction Score
But that can't be right because I read on this board that Susan doesn't care about sports. Even though she had a quote that the athletics programs are the "front porch" of the university. And was encouraging people to go to football games. And then UConn did the #UConn6thBorough campaign. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut the smart people know it's all an elaborate act and she would be happy if all the sports programs went the way of BC basketball and football.

#boneyardin'
More like #Chief00in..

Reaction Score

Not to channel "billybud," and invoke mythology, but you've just redefined "Sisyphean."
Re-read my first sentence...

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that UConn's investment in hockey in the first place had B1g written all over it. If they add hockey, one has to think the ultimate marriage is in the works as well.
On what basis was such an impression concocted?

Reaction Score
Not a fan of hockey only. Makes us look like the kid who tries out for a team and sucks but the coach likes his hustle so he makes him manager. Or we're in the friend zone. Don't like it!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The B10 still wants DC market? They haven't gotten it yet? I guess American University to the B10!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom