Non-Key Tweets | Page 41 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
For football, the B1G is not going to add just 1 program unless that program is named Texas or ND. Thus, UConn, or any other program, is going to need a partner.

So we're basically in agreement that a hockey-only add has no impact.

Reaction Score
I noticed that, with Maryland leaving, that left a hole in the ACC's women's softball...Maryland leaving left 7 instead of 8 teams playing the sport..Louisville will add the eighth again.

Is women's softball more of a southern thing?

Reaction Score
I noticed that, with Maryland leaving, that left a hole in the ACC's women's softball...Maryland leaving left 7 instead of 8 teams playing the sport..Louisville will add the eighth again.

Is women's softball more of a southern thing?

Is it a southern thing? I thought it was more of a West coast thing, although I know that Texlahoma is getting strong there too.

As for your question, the only "Northern" team I know that cares about softball is Michigan. Before you ask, no one cares about college baseball either. The fact that people actually care about college baseball is actually really bizarre to me, given the breadth of minor leagues out there for people who think 162+ MLB games a year isn't enough.

Reaction Score
There's no incentive for hockey teams to travel. No extra money in it. AND, the quick travel within Hockey East is too easy to give up.
It's weird to think Canisius and Niagra are the only college D1 hockey programs in Buffalo. RIT does have a solid following in hockey. The Purple Eagles aimed for the ECAC, if I am correct, but the ECAC opted for a second school in CT (QU).

Reaction Score
Baseball is big in the south in a swath through Texas to California....

When I was a 12 year old boy...the closest MLB team to the deep south was Washington/Baltimore and St. Louis. No southeastern teams.

We had no NFL teams in the south, no MLB teams...college is what we followed and is probably why there is such a college football culture in the southeast.

Reaction Score
I would think so, too; but, 20 years ago, who would have ever thought that Syracuse and G-Town would be in two different basketball conferences.

SU-GTown in basketball /= BU-BC in hockey. Plus, with hockey being much smaller and an inconsequential sport with respect to overall realignment, there's no reason for the B1G to take BU without BC. UConn would be a standalone 7th hockey school if it joined, or team 8 would come from elsewhere.

Reaction Score
It's weird to think Canisius and Niagra are the only college D1 hockey programs in Buffalo. RIT does have a solid following in hockey. The Purple Eagles aimed for the ECAC, if I am correct, but the ECAC opted for a second school in CT (QU).

When your AD is from the south, and he wants to make sure that nothing career-killing is going to happen under his watch (like swapping hockey for football) you begin to understand why he looked that gift horse of a free arena in the mouth.

Reaction Score
When your AD is from the south, and he wants to make sure that nothing career-killing is going to happen under his watch (like swapping hockey for football) you begin to understand why he looked that gift horse of a free arena in the mouth.
You have to forgive me, but who do you speak of? I forgot who exactly applied for Vermont's ECAC spot, Niagra, Rochester or both. I know Holy Cross did. Quinnipiac was provided a miraculous boost by Yale. QU's and Yale's past seasons were obviously great ones. That was a season for the ages.

Reaction Score
You have to forgive me, but who do you speak of? I forgot who exactly applied for Vermont's ECAC spot, Niagra, Rochester or both. I know Holy Cross did. Quinnipiac was provided a miraculous boost by Yale. QU's and Yale's past seasons were obviously great ones. That was a season for the ages.

Buffalo. Here you have a 30,000 student university, in a region that's a hockey hotbed, next to Ontario, with a free arena being built by the owner of the Buffalo Sabres. No hockey team. STOOPID.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV20h
Also I have 40 minutes worth of expansion talk recorded from our B1G super-insider on the B1G's expansion plans.

And we will be taking your expansion phone calls live on the air... no-holds barred straight talk.

steve berklund@ksuberk5420h
@theDudeofWV When will Big12 expand & is it seriously a possibility this time? Tired of talking about it. Just want 2 get it done

@ksuberk54 the B12 really is happy with 10. They only way they expand is if the other big 4 conferences force them to expand.

Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV15 Sep
@knightbengal if the B12 expands my info says Cincy is a lock for #11 & BYU leader for #12 with UCF close behind & now ahead of USF.

Reaction Score
Also I have 40 minutes worth of expansion talk recorded from our B1G super-insider on the B1G's expansion plans.

Alright. Listened to the Dude of WV via downloadable segments out of curiosity. It essentially was his "B1G insider" talking the entire time with minimal commentary by the Dude of WV.
FWIW. As best I could, here is a summary.
1. Texas is concerned about the attention Texas A & M is receiving as part of the SEC and that this will grow further once the SEC network is in place.
2. Texas negotiated an out of the Big12 GOR if it chooses to become an independent and will likely take this option if independents are allowed as part of the new "Division 4".
3. Texas would seek admission to the ACC for all sports except for football which would remain independent comparable to the deal Notre Dame has with the ACC.
4. Oklahoma is concerned about Texas taking this route and has been in contact with the B1G about membership.
5. There were no other schools mentioned as being in contact with the B1G aside from Kansas mentioned in brief as an example of a candidate for the B1G attempting to break the GOR.
6. University of Buffalo was mentioned to the B1G since it is AAU but not as an imminent add to the B1G but rather a potential add to the AAC with possible move to the B1G years down the road.
7. AAC was discussed as being a "feeder" for the power conferences in the "Division 4" with the thought that as schools in the AAC further develop their programs those schools that are successful at doing this would move into one of the power conferences. UConn was mentioned in this discussion along with a few others such as Cincinnati and Houston although a specific power conference to which these schools would step up was not identified.

Reaction Score
Alright. Listened to the Dude of WV via downloadable segments out of curiosity. It essentially was his "B1G insider" talking the entire time with minimal commentary by the Dude of WV.
FWIW. As best I could, here is a summary.
1. Texas is concerned about the attention Texas A & M is receiving as part of the SEC and that this will grow further once the SEC network is in place.
2. Texas negotiated an out of the Big12 GOR if it chooses to become an independent and will likely take this option if independents are allowed as part of the new "Division 4".
3. Texas would seek admission to the ACC for all sports except for football which would remain independent comparable to the deal Notre Dame has with the ACC.
4. Oklahoma is concerned about Texas taking this route and has been in contact with the B1G about membership.
5. There were no other schools mentioned as being in contact with the B1G aside from Kansas mentioned in brief as an example of a candidate for the B1G attempting to break the GOR.
6. University of Buffalo was mentioned to the B1G since it is AAU but not as an imminent add to the B1G but rather a potential add to the AAC with possible move to the B1G years down the road.
7. AAC was discussed as being a "feeder" for the power conferences in the "Division 4" with the thought that as schools in the AAC further develop their programs those schools that are successful at doing this would move into one of the power conferences. UConn was mentioned in this discussion along with a few others such as Cincinnati and Houston although a specific power conference to which these schools would step up was not identified.

What was the guy's name?

Reaction Score
What was the guy's name?

A name was not provided but a statement was made that he has connections to multiple athletic and academic departments in the B1G. Of course, the specifics of these connections were not disclosed either.

pj

Reaction Score
Those sound like plausible assertions. Thanks for listening B1Galum.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What does the ACC get out of a Texas' partial membership?

And what does Texas get out of being independent in football as opposed to being in the Big 12? If they think A&M is distancing them now, that gap would be open daylight if UT were to strike out on their own.

The whole premise is a non-starter.

Reaction Score
I'm just laughing at the UB stuff. That's why I asked his name. The insider is the Dude's brother.

Reaction Score
The fact that this s**tbrain has a podcast - and that there are people out there listening to it - makes me lose faith in humanity.

Reaction Score
What does the ACC get out of a Texas' partial membership?

And what does Texas get out of being independent in football as opposed to being in the Big 12? If they think A&M is distancing them now, that gap would be open daylight if UT were to strike out on their own.

The whole premise is a non-starter.

In terms of valuation, the ACC conference would pick up 5-6 home games that feature Texas as an opponent. Those home games will generate higher ratings and more revenue (same premise as ND). With regard to Texas. . . most marquee members of a conference subsidize the bottom half of the conference. Texas is one of the few programs that would see an uptick in revenue if they were out on their own. However, it will be much difficult to do in the current climate, but under new rules in a D4 format, they could do well.

Reaction Score
Buffalo and UMass (if their FBS football program survives) would be smart additions to the AAC to strengthen their presence in the Northeast. Just hope UConn is in the ACC or B1G by then.

I do not buy Texas to the ACC in all sports except football. Except for basketball and a few select women’s basketball teams and men’s lacrosse teams, these sports only take money from athletic budgets, not give. The nearest ACC school at this time to Texas is Florida State, which is 870 miles away (both ND and Louisville are about 375 miles from their nearest ACC partner). That would cost a lot of time and money. Why would the ACC member schools take on this additional cost without taking on at least part of the revenue for U Texas football?

If the XII does die, I still believe that the PAC is the most likely landing spot (call it 50%) as Texas can still be the king of the hill in the PAC (USC being it’s only real competition) with B1G (25%) and the SEC (25%).

Reaction Score
Buffalo and UMass (if their FBS football program survives) would be smart additions to the AAC to strengthen their presence in the Northeast. Just hope UConn is in the ACC or B1G by then.

I do not buy Texas to the ACC in all sports except football. Except for basketball and a few select women’s basketball teams and men’s lacrosse teams, these sports only take money from athletic budgets, not give. The nearest ACC school at this time to Texas is Florida State, which is 870 miles away (both ND and Louisville are about 375 miles from their nearest ACC partner). That would cost a lot of time and money. Why would the ACC member schools take on this additional cost without taking on at least part of the revenue for U Texas football?

If the XII does die, I still believe that the PAC is the most likely landing spot (call it 50%) as Texas can still be the king of the hill in the PAC (USC being it’s only real competition) with B1G (25%) and the SEC (25%).

It would not look good for two AAC teams to drop football altogether. it wouldn't look good for the conference at all. And this would be a better than even probability within the next 5-10 years.

Reaction Score

I agree that the Olympic sports is a real complication for Texas to the ACC. Then again, UCONN will be traveling to Houston and Dallas this year. . .

Reaction Score
Women's soccer is a bigger ACC sport than women's basketball....just a different regional emphasis. Texas is not particularly strong here,

#5 UNC plays #3 FSU tonight on ESPNU.

Rankings:

#1...Virginia
#3...FSU
#5...UNC
#6...Wake Forest
#7...Notre Dame
#18..Duke
#23..Virginia Tech

Reaction Score
Women's soccer is a bigger ACC sport than women's basketball....just a different regional emphasis. Texas is not particularly strong here,

#5 UNC plays #3 FSU tonight on ESPNU.

Rankings:

#1...Virginia
#3...FSU
#5...UNC
#6...Wake Forest
#7...Notre Dame
#18..Duke
#23..Virginia Tech

Please don't take offense to this, but anyone who thinks women's soccer will drive the future conference affiliation of Texas needs to put the crack pipe down.

Aside from maybe Uconn Women's BB, JH Lacross, and a few Hockey East schools, realignment will be about football and a handful of men's BB schools.

Reaction Score
LOL...Don't put words into my mouth.....I just mention that Texas isn't big in women's soccer...

I don't think that Texas is going anywhere. Just as I told folks that the gossip about FSU to the Big 12 was ludicrous...it doesn't make sense for Texas to play in an east coast league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom