Non-Key Tweets | Page 392 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well as a state Georgia leads by a lot.

Might not be true or it might be defined in a silly way - but I still wouldn't write of Memphis.

I seem to remember Louisville being written off.

Pretty sure, Florida, Texas and CA lead...but maybe not on a per capita basis.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think you guys are making a mistake dismissing Memphis.

I would be shocked if they invited Memphis.

Memphis is a toxic mix of bad academics, NCAA trials and marginal athletics.

Their football program has been to nine bowls in 100+ years of football - we've been to six in about 11.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Memphis is not a factor in realignment. If Memphis is even on a list somewhere, it is just to tweak the SEC.

If you want to read the coach tea leaves: Fuente and Mendenhall bolted for jobs that aren't great, and Herman stayed despite getting some serious interest. UVA is where hot young head coaches go on their way to being middle aged position coaches, and I think Fuente is nuts to replace Beamer. You want to be the guy that replaces the guy that replaced Beamer. I would expect that Fuente's and Mendenhall's agents would know where those schools were in the mix for advancement. Herman got paid and has a monster team returning. He might be waiting for Strong or Sumlin to get fired.

Reaction Score

Their football program has been to nine bowls in 100+ years of football - we've been to six in about 11.
that would be a logical way to sum things up. but you are forgetting Rule #1 trumps all logic with respect to CR.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

All true but I'm not shocked by anything. When people start making compromises strange things happen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
All true but I'm not shocked by anything. When people start making compromises strange things happen.

I think the strange thing in this instance would be something like UConn being invited.

I really think Memphis is just a non-starter for any major conference - forget all the problems, they're just so far below even the Big 12 academically that I think the presidents would never, ever bite.

Plus, is anyone really interested in the third-best program in Tennessee?

Reaction Score
I think the strange thing in this instance would be something like UConn being invited.

I really think Memphis is just a non-starter for any major conference - forget all the problems, they're just so far below even the Big 12 academically that I think the presidents would never, ever bite.

If the Big 12 is going to invite Memphis, it's going to have to happen before next football season starts, and it becomes clear that their success was a mirage. Losing Fuente and Lynch in the same offseason = UCF.

Reaction Score
Alabama's roster has 8 Florida kids ans 4 from anywhere in Tennessee.

Georgia's roster has 16 Florida kids....4 from Tennessee (a couple from Columbia Ms...150 miles from Memphis)

LSU's roster has 4 Florida and 3 Tennessee kids...

Ole Miss has 8 Tennessee kids...6 from Memphis...only 3 from Florida

Arkansas has 13 Florida kids...3 from Tennessee (2 from Memphis)

South Carolina has 15 from Florida...zero from Tennessee

Just from my perusal of the six SEC rosters, I'd say the the Vols are the big users of Tennessee recruits...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Key... f---ng... tweets.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I wonder whether the people touting Memphis (whoever they are) and to a lesser extent, Houston, are even listening to what Boren says. He's driving the Big XII expansion bus. He wants national exposure for OU. That's his stated goal. He isn't talking about football, he's talking about OU the university. Certainly he also wants the Big XII to survive and thrive, meaning a network. But neither Memphis nor Houston do anything to further David Boren's goals for OU. That is not the company they want to keep.

Reaction Score
I've read it somewhere. Not sure how they defined the area or where I read it.

I don't know Tennessee well, so I do not now where in the state these high schools are; but, out of 348 SEC scholarship offers/signings in the SEC in 2015 according to ESPN, 29 or 8% were from the Tennessee. 70 were from the state of Georgia or 20%. Thus, I find that statement about the value of Memphis's recruiting base to be suspicious.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/conference/_/class/2015/id/8

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't know Tennessee well, so I do not now where in the state these high schools are; but, out of 348 SEC scholarship offers/signings in the SEC in 2015 according to ESPN, 29 or 8% were from the Tennessee. 70 were from the state of Georgia or 20%. Thus, I find that statement about the value of Memphis's recruiting base to be suspicious.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/conference/_/class/2015/id/8

It certainly could be. I don't know how they defined the geography, nor do I remember the time frame they looked at.

Also I'm an idiot so I could have completely misremembered whatever it is I think I read.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Indeed. And Ole Miss is less than an hour and a half from Memphis and has more fans in the area than U Memphis does. It's pretty central really, to several SEC schools, and U Memphis landing in the Big XII wouldn't change anything with regard to recruiting the area. When Arkansas and Missouri were in the SWC & Big 12 respectively that might have been different. The SEC has walled it off pretty solidly now.

Reaction Score
Isn't it usually California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania for top five, but the group rotates a bit for which ones place higher?

Reaction Score
It certainly could be. I don't know how they defined the geography, nor do I remember the time frame they looked at.

Also I'm an idiot so I could have completely misremembered whatever it is I think I read.

No need to apologize as 1) I lost my own mid years ago & can't throw stones while living in a glass house and 2) I recall seeing people brag about how valuable Memphis area recruits are also.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom