Non-Key Tweets | Page 373 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 24m24 minutes ago
Big 12 update - Who is in: UC. On the bubble in: UH. On the bubble out: UCONN

As always the preference is no expansion. Big 12 only expands if the ACC/B12 legislation fails.

Some thoughts....just my opinion based on discussions I've had over the past week.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 23m23 minutes ago
1. The Big 12 really doesn't want to expand. Nobody available is an attractive enough option to overcome the expansion apathy.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 23m23 minutes ago
2. In the end the Big 12 must listen to the advice of their media partners: Fox, ESPN and IMG.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 22m22 minutes ago
Conferences who ignore the advice of their media partners are punished. See the Big East and to some extent the ACC.

3. UH is fading because (other than being short of the mark on metrics) of their successful 2015 season. And they can't get the votes.

4. If UCONN slides in as #12 then the Big 12 will have a conference network.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 21m21 minutes ago
5. The item about UMASS talking to the AAC as a potential replacement for UCONN seems very significant now. It didn't when I learned of it.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 21m21 minutes ago
6. The Big 12 is talking with the SEC about their vote. A deal is very likely.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 20m20 minutes ago
7. The odds of Big 12 expansion right now seem to be 70/30 against. Odds of a CCG by 2017 one way or the other: 100%.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 19m19 minutes ago
The word fluid has been used to describe expansion. Is there anything more fluid than fluid? Yes... The Big 12 on expansion.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 18m18 minutes ago
So if your school seems to be out.. don't despair... check back tomorrow.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 18m18 minutes ago
And this, and I'm almost reluctant to type it... about half of the B12 people I know seem to be leaning to wait on expansion until late 2017

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV Why? The list of potential candidates might grow.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 15m15 minutes ago
If the Big 12 waits until 2017 to invite new members they would become fully vested in 2023 - 2 years before the new TV deal.

If the Big 12 waits until 2017 to invite 2 AAC schools they could not join before the 2020 season.

Thus making the AAC additions fully vested the same year the current TV deal expires.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 14m14 minutes ago
@wvlawgeek The only reason to add UCONN is the TV market they bring. It's a big reason but only if a conference network is in play.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 9m9 minutes ago
By the way the vote on the Big 12 legislation is scheduled for today.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 4m4 minutes ago
@jaredljohnson @sg2waugh I once doubted the importance of political ties... I don't any more.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 1m1 minute ago
@jaredljohnson @sg2waugh The modern conference with network makes business decisions.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @jaredljohnson @sg2waugh Thus adding 2 schools from the same state is market duplication.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
N offense to the cutters and pasters intended. It no doubt takes a fair amount of time, but do all of The Dude's Non-UConn tweets really qualify as Non-Key Tweets?

Well the answer is technically yes, but I posit that the title of this threat infers key Non-Key Tweets. Therefore non-UConn tweets are non-key Non-Key Tweets.

If these posts are unreasonably long to skim on a computer screen, they are a gawdawfully brutal trudge on a mobile device, where it is harder to just search for "UConn".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@wvlawgeek The only reason to add UCONN is the TV market they bring. It's a big reason but only if a conference network is in play.

Bite me Chris.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Bite me Chris.

He might. Here is my unscientific comparison of UConn and WVU on expansion metrics. Note the entry toward the end.

Football: WVU
MBB: UConn
WBB: UConn
Hockey: UConn
Soccer: UConn
TV market size: UConn
TV market desireability/affluence: UConn
Academics: UConn
Black Lung: WVU
Biters: WVU

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Weren't you saying a friend in an AD the other day said UConn is out?

Yes, because it was thought that BYU and Cincy would be in, but BYU (as they have in the past) refuses to budge with the Big 12 to play on Sundays. Thus, the word is that UConn should be in. Again, he's not in a P5 department so I'm not sure where they get their info from, but they're certainly more connected than the average fan

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Yes, because it was thought that BYU and Cincy would be in, but BYU (as they have in the past) refuses to budge with the Big 12 to play on Sundays. Thus, the word is that UConn should be in. Again, he's not in a P5 department so I'm not sure where they get their info from, but they're certainly more connected than the average fan

D1 schools?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Btw, I know my post may have came off like I was busting your balls or calling you out but was actually just curious.

Reaction Score
So it looks like in the short-term that expansion is dead for the Big 12 but it has left the perception that the league is putting itself at great risk in the mid-term. Still we have done ourselves some good by disseminating the numbers and the value of UConn as an Academic, Athletic and Media Property.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
So it looks like in the short-term that expansion is dead for the Big 12 but it has left the perception that the league is putting itself at great risk in the mid-term. Still we have done ourselves some good by disseminating the numbers and the value of UConn as an Academic, Athletic and Media Property.

Huh? Are the results in from the deregulation vote?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yep, compromise reached, no expansion.

Got to be kidding me lol. Definitely an attempt at rationalization, but I guess we all knew that the Big 12 was a very weird fit for UConn. Let's continue to build the NYC presence, improve academics, keep the football program going in the right track, and see if we can get the Big Ten in a couple of years. I think we'd all prefer the Big Ten anyhow.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Knowing that it is coming really doesn't help.

swift-kick-in-the-balls.jpg

Reaction Score
brasssbonanzaa said:
Nah, this isn't the worst case scenario, that would've been they expanded and didn't take us. Now we're just back to where we were before.

Actually, nothing in our situation has changed. Let's continue to build football in the AAC for a few more years, and dominate this league the next few years in basketball. No reason we can't do both and then head to B1Gger pastures when the time comes.

Reaction Score
Actually, nothing in our situation has changed. Let's continue to build football in the AAC for a few more years, and dominate this league the next few years in basketball. No reason we can't do both and then head to B1Gger pastures when the time comes.
It would be nice if we could dominate this league in basketball for one year, let alone the next few.

Reaction Score
Agreed, while this isn't necessarily a positive that the Big 12 opportunity passed, it did not harm us directly, nor the conference. Staying in the AAC minus Cincinnati and Houston would have been an abject disaster.

That said, now that 12 teams aren't necessary for a conference championship, can we boot Tulsa and Tulane?

Reaction Score
Got to be kidding me lol. Definitely an attempt at rationalization, but I guess we all knew that the Big 12 was a very weird fit for UConn. Let's continue to build the NYC presence, improve academics, keep the football program going in the right track, and see if we can get the Big Ten in a couple of years. I think we'd all prefer the Big Ten anyhow.

I'm actually kind of liking the XII now

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom