Non-Key Tweets | Page 363 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You're not nearly as cynical as you think.

The Big12 is leaking out this narrative- Let us manage our conference and decide who our champ is or else the following programs are getting let in to the country club. I'm not saying I agree with the narrative, but you and I are reading the story with a similar perspective.
Why would anyone from another conference care? Their take of the $$$ isn't effected by the big12 splitting their $$$ w two more teams.

Reaction Score
I actually felt bad for L'ville (for about 10 seconds) when it seemed like we were a "lock" for the ACC so many moons ago.....how delusional does that seem now. Since Cuse & Pitt bolted from the OBE it has been so depressing, just can't help but feel like Charlie Brown. Maybe Lucy will finally see the light.

Never felt sorry for Louisville especially after the "UConn to the ACC is the dumbest thing I ever heard " comment

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're not nearly as cynical as you think.

The Big12 is leaking out this narrative- Let us manage our conference and decide who our champ is or else the following programs are getting let in to the country club. I'm not saying I agree with the narrative, but you and I are reading the story with a similar perspective.

Why would the other conferences care if the Big 12 is picking up the tab?

All this chatter may be a total fantasy, but if it doesn't happen, I am confident that the Pac 12 not wanting BYU or Cincinnati in a P5 conference will NOT be a factor. I can see the ACC not wanting UConn in a P5 league. On the other hand, they also want the Big 12 to split its playoff revenue more ways because right now the Big 12 has a cost advantage over the ACC.

Reaction Score

All this chatter may be a total fantasy, but if it doesn't happen, I am confident that the Pac 12 not wanting BYU or Cincinnati in a P5 conference will NOT be a factor. I can see the ACC not wanting UConn in a P5 league. On the other hand, they also want the Big 12 to split its playoff revenue more ways because right now the Big 12 has a cost advantage over the ACC.
If the B-12 is forced to expand because of this...it will be full steam ahead to get a conference network in place. If that comes to fruition the ACC will be left in the dust.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the B-12 is forced to expand because of this...it will be full steam ahead to get a conference network in place. If that comes to fruition the ACC will be left in the dust.

Why is one exclusive of the other? It would be hard for ESPN to stand in the way if all 4 other P5 conferences have a Conference Network.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While a B-12 network will be a necessary (and for most involved welcome) end result, there will need to be an unraveling of the longhorn network first. I don't imagine UT playing nice (although ESPN will be very motivated to end that monstrosity).

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Why is one exclusive of the other? It would be hard for ESPN to stand in the way if all 4 other P5 conferences have a Conference Network.
There is a strong possibility that ESPN would be in favor of ending the longhorn network (where they are bleeding $$$), replacing it with a b-12 network, using the expanded conference as an excuse to replace a money pit with what may be no better than a revenue neutral product.

Reaction Score
There is a strong possibility that ESPN would be in favor of ending the longhorn network (where they are bleeding $$$), replacing it with a b-12 network, using the expanded conference as an excuse to replace a money pit with what may be no better than a revenue neutral product.

I think what could happen is that ESPN/UT/Bug 12 cut a deal that basically turns the LHN into the Bug 12 network, but structures the payment in a way that for the first X years of the networks life UT gets a higher payout to offset the loss in revenue the school will face by shuttering the LHN (because while LHN is a disaster for ESPN, it has been profitable for UT).

Reaction Score
For the ACC to get their Network...their Tier 2 rights need to be bought back from Raycom...no way in this day and age ESPN is going to pay to produce the programming...buy the rights back from Raycom ...then pay the ACC more money for a ACC Network. This is the reason it hasn't been done so far..and with ESPN in major cost cutting right now, it won't be done anytime soon either. Stafford basically sold his schools an empty bill of goods about a conference network, and screwed them over when he sold the media rights to Raycom (which also employs his son). This problem has been well documented the past 18 months.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/05/20/Media/ACC-net.aspx

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think what could happen is that ESPN/UT/Bug 12 cut a deal that basically turns the LHN into the Bug 12 network, but structures the payment in a way that for the first X years of the networks life UT gets a higher payout to offset the loss in revenue the school will face by shuttering the LHN (because while LHN is a disaster for ESPN, it has been profitable for UT).
I agree that this makes sense. I have trouble seeing Texas making this concession.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
UT is the proverbial fly in the ointment with this and UT has made it clear, repeatedly over the years that their only concern is what is best for UT.

Reaction Score
UT is the proverbial fly in the ointment with this and UT has made it clear, repeatedly over the years that their only concern is what is best for UT.

I think that giving UT a larger share of revenue to offset that loss from the network may make them feel better about it.

Texas knows this is a huge loss leader for ESPN at a time they cannot afford it. It's not going to last forever and when ESPN drops is I don't know how that they get it picked up elsewhere. The writing is on the wall for UT. Take what you can while you can.

Reaction Score
Wasn't this tweet about the MBB game tonight? Timing confuses me.

Yes, I thought the same thing - that's why I posted it. You had someone who covers the Big 12 (on the web) watching a UConn men's game and then thinking about the possibilities our women's team would bring to their league.

Kinda weird logic, but it also shows that women's Bball doesn't exactly have ZERO value in these considerations, as some people claim.

It's not from a huge source, I just thought it was interesting for someone (non-UConn) to think along those lines and also to Tweet it.

Timing is interesting for sure, and just adds (albeit slightly) to the smoke that's forming.

Reaction Score
I think that giving UT a larger share of revenue to offset that loss from the network may make them feel better about it.

Texas knows this is a huge loss leader for ESPN at a time they cannot afford it. It's not going to last forever and when ESPN drops is I don't know how that they get it picked up elsewhere. The writing is on the wall for UT. Take what you can while you can.

It might make sense to transition to a more sustainable platform. All it would require is give-and-take, and actually if UT has other conferences in mind for the future, its best bet would be to maximize its current payout with current network, but if it intends to make the B12 more stable in the future, then it could see the dollars and sense in compromising.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why would anyone from another conference care? Their take of the $$$ isn't effected by the big12 splitting their $$$ w two more teams.

I'm viewing this like a country club membership. There's some inequity amongst the existing members regarding playing for the club championship. Different factions within the country club have varying levels of clout. Some of the factions want to bring in new members to equal out the power within the club.

Some members in the club are buffoons, but they're still in the club. Their membership isn't getting revoked no matter how little they contribute to the club. All they do is show up for the free buffet and open bar. They're sponges, everyone knows it, but they're not leaving (BCU, Vandy, Northwestern, Wash St, Texas Tech, etc)

UConn isn't a part of the club and it needs someone to sponsor them.

The member who is considering sponsoring UConn to shore up their power base within the club, says it like this. "Look either we can redistribute our power within bringing in any new candidates or here's our new member." Other club members say, "That's fine. They're coming in at your expense and it has no bearing on us." Sponsor says, "Okay. Don't come bitching when they end up in your foursome or reception (bowl games)."

I get that some people don't understand power bases and irrational human decision making. No problem. But it's real.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm viewing this like a country club membership. There's some inequity amongst the existing members regarding playing for the club championship. Different factions within the country club have varying levels of clout. Some of the factions want to bring in new members to equal out the power within the club.

Some members in the club are buffoons, but they're still in the club. Their membership isn't getting revoked no matter how little they contribute to the club. All they do is show up for the free buffet and open bar. They're sponges, everyone knows it, but they're not leaving (BCU, Vandy, Northwestern, Wash St, Texas Tech, etc)

UConn isn't a part of the club and it needs someone to sponsor them.

The member who is considering sponsoring UConn to shore up their power base within the club, says it like this. "Look either we can redistribute our power within bringing in any new candidates or here's our new member." Other club members say, "That's fine. They're coming in at your expense and it has no bearing on us." Sponsor says, "Okay. Don't come bitching when they end up in your foursome or reception (bowl games)."

I get that some people don't understand power bases and irrational human decision making. No problem. But it's real.

Yep. THAT is what is going on. Great catch.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Come on guys.. the fate of Uconn's Future Conference hinges on this poll...
Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 12.53.06 PM.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom