Non-Key Tweets | Page 1041 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Not as amusing as the fact that UConn, like USF, is still on the outside looking in. You'd be more persuasive if you could make a cogent counterargument, but as usual, ad hominem attacks are your first and only line of defense.
Hank, your argument for USF is mostly based on 2 things, location, location, location, and giving UCF a close rival. We both know that is nice and maybe back in the day that would have been enough, but not today. To be fair, UCF already gets the Big 12 into FL, so USF's location advantage is minimized. Given that BCU is irrelevant except for alums and current students, a case could be made that New England is untapped potential for eyeballs and prospective students and athletes. We also give a NY presence which could be leveraged for further visibility. As @ZooCougar noted, UCF may not be interested in having USF competing for in-state recruits (see BC/UConn for another territory example), so there may not even be support.
Conference expansion is about dollars, what does USF bring to the table and would it bring an increase in the league payout? Outside of 2016 & 2017, their football is not much better than ours. Given that they've had 2 7-6 seasons since, and including, 2018, I'll give them an ever so slight nod. When you consider basketball eyeballs, It's not even close that having the UConn men & women in their conference is preferred, especially with women's hoops being a somewhat untapped resource. Given that they're only 100 miles from UCF/Orlando, not a big increase in TV markets. We are talking about maybe the #4 school in the state after UF, FSU & UCF.
Based on this simple analysis, I would think the B12 would value UConn as a better addition than USF. If Yormark really does split the football TV deal from the basketball, UConn's value is even clearer.
That would be my counterargument.

Reaction Score
Hank, your argument for USF is mostly based on 2 things, location, location, location, and giving UCF a close rival. We both know that is nice and maybe back in the day that would have been enough, but not today. To be fair, UCF already gets the Big 12 into FL, so USF's location advantage is minimized. Given that BCU is irrelevant except for alums and current students, a case could be made that New England is untapped potential for eyeballs and prospective students and athletes. We also give a NY presence which could be leveraged for further visibility. As @ZooCougar noted, UCF may not be interested in having USF competing for in-state recruits (see BC/UConn for another territory example), so there may not even be support.
Conference expansion is about dollars, what does USF bring to the table and would it bring an increase in the league payout? Outside of 2016 & 2017, their football is not much better than ours. Given that they've had 2 7-6 seasons since, and including, 2018, I'll give them an ever so slight nod. When you consider basketball eyeballs, It's not even close that having the UConn men & women in their conference is preferred, especially with women's hoops being a somewhat untapped resource. Given that they're only 100 miles from UCF/Orlando, not a big increase in TV markets. We are talking about maybe the #4 school in the state after UF, FSU & UCF.
Based on this simple analysis, I would think the B12 would value UConn as a better addition than USF. If Yormark really does split the football TV deal from the basketball, UConn's value is even clearer.
That would be my counterargument.

He doesn’t deserve that. But that’s a nice response..

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Everything in context, my friend. The statement to which I replied posited that UConn would be a good addition to the B12 because WVU needs eastern company. I contend that, if WVU indeed needs company because it's perceived as a geographic outlier, then UCF needs company more because it's even more isolated geographically with respect to the rest of the conference. USF, regardless of its athletic prowess, would be a sensible B12 addition to address that need. As the crow flies, Tampa is less than 100 miles from Orlando, and Storrs is about 400 miles from Morgantown. If concerns about geographic isolation were a motive for expanding the B12, and I'm not sure they are, then UCF would have the more pressing need. Beyond geography, the other metrics I mentioned are frosting on the cake (I hasten to add that UConn's basketball prowess is frosting too). If you can't see the logic in that assessment, then heaven help you.

I doubt that Yormark would take calls from either of us, but when he considers the recommendations of others, I bet he's swayed more by logic and credibility than by fan-boy emotion. As always, logos, ethos, pathos -- in that order.
" I bet he's swayed more by logic and credibility than by fan-boy emotion. As always, logos, ethos, pathos -- in that order"

Much as you argue against @ZooCougar for his ad homimem attacks (he's a passionate UConn fan, but he's not wrong), you fall into the same category with the use of the "fanboy" term. Nothing that I wrote was factually incorrect, nor was it some lunatic fanboy (middle age status not withstanding) ranting. I completely accept that UConn had a poor showing the last decade in football, as did Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, and Kansas (ah, yes, we won't point out that those grandfathered are exempt from critique). I'll also add that referring to UConn's basketball prowess as "frosting" is disingenous and insulting. Would you call Bama's national football championships frosting to the SEC? Making light of UConn's achievement in BB (by comparing to USF that has achieved no real success in sports), which no other team has done in the current era save for UCLA decades ago, speaks against your use of ethos.

Regarding pathos, you as a non-UConn fan should take your own words to light as you come to this site to post. If you cannot see that this fanbase has suffered time and again during CR and made to endure countless critique about what it lacks as an athletic school, yet you post that other teams should get the call while UConn endlessly wait for unlikely scenarios to unfold, then Heaven help you for your lack of empathy and manners as a visitor to this site.

Reaction Score
" I bet he's swayed more by logic and credibility than by fan-boy emotion. As always, logos, ethos, pathos -- in that order"

Much as you argue against @ZooCougar for his ad homimem attacks (he's a passionate UConn fan, but he's not wrong), you fall into the same category with the use of the "fanboy" term. Nothing that I wrote was factually incorrect, nor was it some lunatic fanboy (middle age status not withstanding) ranting. I completely accept that UConn had a poor showing the last decade in football, as did Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, and Kansas (ah, yes, we won't point out that those grandfathered are exempt from critique). I'll also add that referring to UConn's basketball prowess as "frosting" is disingenous and insulting. Would you call Bama's national football championships frosting to the SEC? Making light of UConn's achievement in BB (by comparing to USF that has achieved no real success in sports), which no other team has done in the current era save for UCLA decades ago, speaks against your use of ethos.

Regarding pathos, you as a non-UConn fan should take your own words to light as you come to this site to post. If you cannot see that this fanbase has suffered time and again during CR and made to endure countless critique about what it lacks as an athletic school, yet you post that other teams should get the call while UConn endlessly wait for unlikely scenarios to unfold, then Heaven help you for your lack of empathy and manners as a visitor to this site.

USF doesn’t add anything that the Big 12 doesn’t already have. The Big 12 is not undergoing a process to review USF as a prospective member like UConn is at this very moment in time.

That is all that needs to be said.

As far as calling him a troll being ad hominem. Well, it’s not. He is here to agitate. He knows USF isn’t a candidate. He’s trying to agitate that’s what trolls do.

He doesn’t deserve more than a two sentence response.

Reaction Score
I think some people come here just to feel what it feels like to win titles. They know their school never will so they join and act like they are part of a winner. Never winning a title can get boring fast. We don’t know this since we win bball titles all the time but for some it is a big problem.

Eventually they get angry when they realize we can win more titles and there school still can’t win any in anything.

Reaction Score
I think some people come here just to feel what it feels like to win titles. They know their school never will so they join and act like they are part of a winner. Never winning a title can get boring fast. We don’t know this since we win bball titles all the time but for some it is a big problem.

Eventually they get angry when they realize we can win more titles and there school still can’t win any in anything.

He’s a BC fan. They are a boutique program that only wins titles in niche sports.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
He’s a BC fan. They are a boutique program that only wins titles in niche sports.
Speaking of niche sports, I looked up Cincinnati and found that other than their 2 BBall titles in '61 & '62, their only recent claim to fame team titles are in women's dance (hip-hop) or Cheer Game Day. That is such a well run athletic program. :cool: ^_^

Reaction Score
Speaking of niche sports, I looked up Cincinnati and found that other than their 2 BBall titles in '61 & '62, their only recent claim to fame team titles are in women's dance (hip-hop) or Cheer Game Day. That is such a well run athletic program. :cool: ^_^

We had bigger revenue than Cincy before they got into the Big 12. They really have very little.

Reaction Score
Whether true or not, this is what the BIG has to say. And I happen to think it is true, in a literal sense. Doesn't mean they won’t extend an invite once FSU is available.
or they might not. B10 already has an embarrassment or riches and do they really want or need a florida based franchise? The only reason they would take FSU would be to spite the B12 which is where FSU will likely end up

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
or they might not. B10 already has an embarrassment or riches and do they really want or need a florida based franchise? The only reason they would take FSU would be to spite the B12 which is where FSU will likely end up
They want a school (or 2) in Florida. Being able to plant a flag and recruit athletes and, more importantly general student population would be a boon for every Big10 school. They all would love the opportunity to have a presence in Florida. FSU and, to a lesser extent, Miami would give them that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well we better get in before they do, because rumor is they're not a fan of ours.

Reaction Score

FSU will likely end up in the ACC, where they will stay at least until the GOR expires and probably beyond. And unless they can break the habit of 1-4 starts, they will be damn lucky to be there.

Reaction Score
FSU will likely end up in the ACC, where they will stay at least until the GOR expires and probably beyond. And unless they can break the habit of 1-4 starts, they will be damn lucky to be there.
I don't blame fsu for their ambitions. The problem is they're on the outside of the party

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom