Non-Key Tweets | Page 334 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This. Now what's the angle. Why? Trying to destabilize the ACC? Or pit the the ACC and Big12 against each other? Or maybe he's just being a ?

Just business.

The Big Ten has two divisions and, for better or worse, the two 'champions' play each other in the title game.

What the ACC wants to do is game the process by stepping over a lesser division winner and choosing whoever they feel are the top two teams. They don't want to see a team like Duke '14 in their title game because it could cost them a playoff sport if there's an upset or, more likely, it damages the resume of the eventual ACC champion.

There's no reason for the Big Ten to give a competitor for the four playoff spots an advantage.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
We need to hope that the Big 12 stays put....or expands to 14. There's no movement coming from the other conferences right now, so we're in our box. If the Big 12 expands and takes two from the American, it'd be catastrophic. The ESPN contract would likely be terminated.... UConn, Cincinnati, Houston and Temple are considered "A" schools under the contract. Everyone else is a "B" school. If two "A" schools or one "A" and one "B" school leave, the contract can and likely would be terminated. If two "B" schools leave, the contract gets renegotiated downward.

We'd have to pry Boise away from the Mountain West. Maybe we could threaten to pilfer the Mountain West whether Boise comes with us or not? It is pretty obvious that even without Cincy and Houston that the AAC is going to bury the MWC over time. I watched a lot of football this fall and I don't think I watched more than one MWC game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just business.

The Big Ten has two divisions and, for better or worse, the two 'champions' play each other in the title game.

What the ACC wants to do is game the process by stepping over a lesser division winner and choosing whoever they feel are the top two teams. They don't want to see a team like Duke '14 in their title game because it could cost them a playoff sport if there's an upset or, more likely, it damages the resume of the eventual ACC champion.

There's no reason for the Big Ten to give a competitor for the four playoff spots an advantage.

They could just split up FSU and Clemson, but they don't seem to want to do that either.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
HuskyHawk said:
They could just split up FSU and Clemson, but they don't seem to want to do that either.

The difference between power teams and power conferences. The ACC has 2 teams, more like 1 and a half, but Clemson should stick as long as Dabo is around. The B12 has 2 and one is down. OSU and Baylor are on a high because Texas is down.

In order to maximize the CCG, you need to be sure that both division winners are strong. Even the SEC had a dud, but they are the SEC so no one cares that Bama didn't beat anyone nor did any of the teams they played. If you swapped Stanford and Bama's records, Bama would still have gotten in with two losses.

The ACC and B12 want to get the max bump in the polls for their CCG. Delany and friends are saying no freaking way. We play divisions, then you play divisions.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We need to hope that the Big 12 stays put....or expands to 14.
There's no movement coming from the other conferences right now, so we're in our box.

If the Big 12 expands and takes two from the American, it'd be catastrophic.

The ESPN contract would likely be terminated....

UConn, Cincinnati, Houston and Temple are considered "A" schools under the contract. Everyone else is a "B" school.

If two "A" schools or one "A" and one "B" school leave, the contract can and likely would be terminated. If two "B" schools leave, the contract gets renegotiated downward.

Yup, this is a real concern. If Cinci and Houston are tapped, that will lower our AAC payout even more. If Cinci, Houston, Memphis and USF/UCF are tapped, then we might as well start a bake sale.

The thought that really concerns me is that P5 conferences all want to be at 14 so that the Playoff committee has a better chance at comparing apples to apples, so to speak. And if the B12 goes up to 14 and we aren't part of it, it could be a LONG time before any P5 rumors start to swirl again. B1G and ACC are already at 14.

Reaction Score
What the ACC wants to do is game the process by stepping over a lesser division winner and choosing whoever they feel are the top two teams.

Worse yet, they could change their criteria to best game the process in any given year. That would not sit well with the other moms in the neighborhood.

Reaction Score
I was against the Conference championship game deregulation because they have divisions for a reason. In basketball, conferences seed their teams at the end of the regular season for their conference tournaments, which makes much more sense. So the argument for doing the same for football makes sense. But alas, football is a mess. No deregulation.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think the incoming fog of ESPN cable losses will really slow CRA. I am beginning to think the B12 will eventually add its two teams after a long struggled, but after that, nothing more happens.

Land of misfit toys after Cincy and Memphis land in the B12:

tier 1
UConn
Boise St
Navy
Temple
Houston <--don't think the tv people will ever let Houston land in the B12 because of the severe market overlap issue.
Air Force
Army (history)

tier 2
USF
UCF
Hawaii
SMU

tier 3
Fresno
Tulsa
San Diego

Reaction Score
There is a big downside for the Big 12 going to 12 or more teams. The two biggest draws in the Big 12 are Texas and Oklahoma. With 12 schools and a 9 game schedule, schools would not have either Texas or Oklahoma or both (depending on divisions) on their home football schedule every other year. I think the football round robin is the greatest strength of the Big 12.

As for the AAC TV contract, it really can't get much worse from a monetary standpoint, so I don't think losing two AAC schools to the Big 12 would be a calamity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just business.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
That is one possible explanation, I suppose, however, consider this alternative. If the ACC had carte blanche in setting up its conference championship game then it could set a 15 team three pod system. Who would be most likely candidate to fill that slot? Why the University of Connecticut. Delany is not going allow the ACC to steal "the jewel of the east" before he can bring them on board. He has staked out NYC as Big Ten territory. He's not giving Swofford the key to the city. It's just business alright. UConn Business.

Just another link in the chain boys. B1G news is on the horizon.

Reaction Score
CL82 said:
Conspiracy Kitty says: That is one possible explanation, I suppose, however, consider this alternative. If the ACC had carte blanche in setting up its conference championship game then it could set a 15 team three pod system. Who would be most likely candidate to fill that slot? Why the University of Connecticut. Delany is not going allow the ACC to steal "the jewel of the east" before he can bring them on board. He has staked out NYC as Big Ten territory. He's not giving Swofford the key to the city. It's just business alright. UConn Business. Just another link in the chain boys. B1G news is on the horizon.

It is sad that I actually thought of that yesterday. I was too ashamed to say it.

Reaction Score
"I agree a conference should not have to expand in order to have a championship game," Delany told ESPN.com. "That wouldn't be right. That's tail wagging dog. On the other hand, I want to have some familiarity -- some knowledge as to how these things are going to play out. I don't want unintended consequences. I don't want to wake up one morning and see some odd structure that's unfamiliar.

"We don't think he should have to expand to have the same option we have," Delany said, "but we feel he should have a structure similar to ours."

Go to two divisions of five each and have the winners play a championship game = Big Ten approval.

I think Delaney is really putting a stick in the ACC's spokes, rather than the Big 12.
if every team plays each other what is the point of two divisions?

Imagine Texas and TCU are in different divisions. Texas beats TCU in the regular season, 21-20. But TCU, regroups and wins their division while Texas wins theirs. TCU then beats Texas in a blowout game 45-10 as Texas had a 2nd string QB in.

This format assures the CCG is a rematch which will either confirm a previous result, or completely negate it. That to me is the very definition of the tail wagging the dog.

Reaction Score
There is a big downside for the Big 12 going to 12 or more teams. The two biggest draws in the Big 12 are Texas and Oklahoma. With 12 schools and a 9 game schedule, schools would not have either Texas or Oklahoma or both (depending on divisions) on their home football schedule every other year. I think the football round robin is the greatest strength of the Big 12.

As for the AAC TV contract, it really can't get much worse from a monetary standpoint, so I don't think losing two AAC schools to the Big 12 would be a calamity.
you don't think it could get worse??? do you really want to mess with Karma.
I guarantee you that a contract without Houston and Cincy in the mix will be equal to or less than the current payout.

Reaction Score
Michigan State lost to a non-bowl team Nebraska while Ohio State and Iowa lost to a top 4 team. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
you don't think it could get worse??? do you really want to mess with Karma.
I guarantee you that a contract without Houston and Cincy in the mix will be equal to or less than the current payout.
I don't know. I think espn got the AAC for 50 cents on the dollar, if not less. As Bud says, "...Analysts don't like it. I do. The breakup value is twice the market price. The deal finances itself. Sell off two divisions, keep..."

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The AAC with Boise St., BYU, and whoever else with no Cinci, Memphis, and/or Houston is, as Gordon would say, "...a dog with different fleas."

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, we couldn't get Boise and BYU to sign on the dotted line WITH those schools...I doubt they join without them.

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 · 20h20 hours ago
Jim Delany is the best friend of Cincinnati and 1 of either Houston or Memphis right now. #Big12Expansion

Mexican Batman
‏@Mexican__Batman @frankthetank111 @zach_barnett why are u so sure cincy will get the invite?

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 · 3h3 hours ago
New large market, academics, consistent long-term performance. To be clear, this is only if Big 12 invites *anyone*

If I were running the Big 12, BYU would already be in the league. Whether Big 12 agrees with me is another matter.

I think Sunday restrictions are a red herring re: BYU. MWC worked fine with them. Seems more personal (literally)

Strong personal networking b/w Big 12 presidents and Cincinnati and Houston. Memphis has some; BYU not as much.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 · 2h2 hours ago
If Big 12 is going to expand that far east, then UConn is more valuable than Temple (but they won't expand that far)

In a vacuum, UConn and Temple bring value with academics and markets. They just don't fit the Big 12 specifically.

That being said, if I was running UConn or Temple, I'd still be calling the Big 12 daily. (1/2)

Last 2 spots in the Big 12 might be the last 2 spots in the 5 power conferences for the next generation. (2/2)

Reaction Score
MH3 ‏@MH3 · 8h8 hours ago
B10 trying to thwart B12 again. Blocking bid to deregulate championship game. Trying to pry OK away. Must expand soon and Bowlsby knows it

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 4h4 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush OU is driving expansion and isn't AAU. Without AAU status the B1G will not look at OU now or in 2020.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 4h4 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush It's pretty damn clear that the Big 12 has to expand. They can bitch & moan but they all understand that.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush Boren won the argument

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 3h3 hours ago
I think more and more people on Twitter are starting to understand BTM-B10 perceptions have been tracking B12 EXP drama right on the nail.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 3h3 hours ago
We @flugempire for 2 months have been passing along info B12 will not proceed with final negotiations/votes on EXP until Dereg/Vote are done

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h2 hours ago
@cfn_ms @frankthetank111 Delany's number 1 Goal through Deregulation is too keep Divisions as a cemented structure toward having CCG's..

@cfn_ms @frankthetank111 ..having divisions/pods is vital to continue expansion in next generation. B1G is extremely Pro-Divisions.

@cfn_ms @frankthetank111 If B12/ACC is able to keep one 10 school/one 14 school conference with CCG-2 top teams being selected=loss for B1G

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 26m26 minutes ago
More Steam:
B1G Hockey is still very much interested in obtaining UCONN Hockey as part of Big Ten Hockey Conference.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 24m24 minutes ago
What we don't know....at this time we have zero info if UCONN HCKY is truly interested in joining B1G Hockey Conference.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 23m23 minutes ago
But we @flugempire do know is there has been discussions (plural) between UCONN & B1G HCKY in last 2 months.

This we know...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 7m7 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush We don't know anything beyond what we have tweeted.
B1G HCKY has been aggressive in talking with UCONN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Frank the Tank again with his nonsense. He has no clue about markets whatsoever. The idea that Temple and UConn are anywhere near comparable markets is asinine to the extreme.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In a vacuum, UConn and Temple bring value with academics and markets. They just don't fit the Big 12 specifically.

That being said, if I was running UConn or Temple, I'd still be calling the Big 12 daily. (1/2)

Last 2 spots in the Big 12 might be the last 2 spots in the 5 power conferences for the next generation. (2/2
)

Damn straight. Ward quit printing out your resume and get on the phone.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 26m26 minutes ago
More Steam:
B1G Hockey is still very much interested in obtaining UCONN Hockey as part of Big Ten Hockey Conference.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 24m24 minutes ago
What we don't know....at this time we have zero info if UCONN HCKY is truly interested in joining B1G Hockey Conference.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 23m23 minutes ago
But we @flugempire do know is there has been discussions (plural) between UCONN & B1G HCKY in last 2 months.

This we know...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 7m7 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush We don't know anything beyond what we have tweeted.
B1G HCKY has been aggressive in talking with UCONN.

Anyone else read B1G HCKY as BIG HICKEY?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom