Non-Key Tweets | Page 235 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
NYC.
If three people average $100k and one leaves, does that change the per capita income? I don't get your point. I think your original statement was something to the effect that high revenue companies are moving to CT. Yet the population shows no growth. Maybe the math doesn't include people who are no longer looking for jobs. Why does every town north of fairfield county have empty buildings lining main street? Maybe everyone staying in CT is becoming a cop or a teacher, I have no idea. How about try removing Fairfield county from your math and see what happens.

So you think that everyone in CT makes the same amount of money?

Reaction Score
NYC.
If three people average $100k and one leaves, does that change the per capita income? I don't get your point. I think your original statement was something to the effect that high revenue companies are moving to CT. Yet the population shows no growth. Maybe the math doesn't include people who are no longer looking for jobs. Why does every town north of fairfield county have empty buildings lining main street? Maybe everyone staying in CT is becoming a cop or a teacher, I have no idea. How about try removing Fairfield county from your math and see what happens.

I thought my math was self-evident. It's the highest per capita in the country. If rich people leave, the per capita drops.

Pretty simple.

If Fairfield became its own state, then Conn. becomes a much poorer state with a different tax base.

Is Fairfield leaving soon?

Reaction Score
OK you win. You TKO'd me with statements having nothing to do with your assertion.
Looking forward to the influx of riches, prosperity, and rising housing values!

Reaction Score
Company A lays off 20 people. 19 making $50k. 1 making $100k. None of them were poor. I suppose 20 people leaving the state while raising the single most important metric, per capita income, is a good thing. Am I following your math correctly? If I really need to dumb it down, Fairfield County skews your per capita income but if you want to say the state of CT is doing superbly because of rich investment bankers in Greenwich, again, you win.

Reaction Score
Im basing my assumptions on math.

Why is Conn the highest per capita state in the USA?

It can't be because rich people are fleeing.

It is because the young are fleeing.

On another sad note: Companies leaving Connecticut - particularly financial services - put a serious damper on my dream of returning one day.

I just don't get how such a great place to live can be railroaded in the name of ideology.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How does disposable income compare? People are leaving because their higher salaries don't seem to translate into higher disposable income. People are tired of having to support Hartford, Bridgeport, and New Haven.

Why does every jackass on the Right feel the obligation to force feed us their FoxNews drivel? If you want to regurgitate nonsense at us, there is a big crew on the Cesspool that will welcome you with open arms.

Reaction Score
Why does every jackass on the Right feel the obligation to force feed us their FoxNews drivel? If you want to regurgitate nonsense at us, there is a big crew on the Cesspool that will welcome you with open arms.
Should I ask for your mother by name?
Hey, if you are a bleeding liberal, by all means, have at it. Don't curse me because I fall into the category of people who think we can manage our cash better than our over-paid public officials.

Reaction Score
Huh? Wish that were true. About the cost of living being higher where folks want to live.

If so, the Florida of my youth wouldn't have become inundated with snow birds...many from New England.

Reaction Score
And New Jersey? A veritable paradise according to the cost of living index.

Reaction Score
And New Jersey? A veritable paradise according to the cost of living index.

Much of NJ is awful. No one would want to live there. Much of NJ is beautiful, and it costs a lot of money to live there. Just like Conn., a beautiful state.

As for Florida, it's pretty ugly all around, just flat, but it has the heat going for it. About it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Much of NJ is awful. No one would want to live there. Much of NJ is beautiful, and it costs a lot of money to live there. Just like Conn., a beautiful state.

As for Florida, it's pretty ugly all around, just flat, but it has the heat going for it. About it.

To each their own, but I'll take a Florida beaches over Lake Erie and Ontario any day.

Reaction Score
Well, obviously people who lose their jobs, gets downsized, outsourced, or just fed up will move out. That much is clear. Income level is relative so someone making a decent salary could move out and still result in an increase in the average wage in CT. You harp on UBS and RBS, which of course are in CT because it's cheaper than Manhattan, yet just yesterday Aetna, Travelers, and GE mentioned the disappointing state of CT. Those companies have been in CT forever and probably would have moved years ago had it not been for their long-term commitments. Companies have been sending jobs out of state for years. Poll after poll shows that CT is flailing along well behind other states. But if you think everything is very rosie in CT, I will accept your opinion.
And I don't think its just low income people moving out. CT is very liberal with the cities and with low income people. These cities vote about 105% democrat for a reason.

The population of Fairfield County is on the rise.

Reaction Score
I don't want to get in trouble with the board powers as I've pretty much stayed off their sh-list as a poster. So can someone start a new thread called, "My state is the best, and your state sucks!" That may be allow us to redirect 50% of our non-key tweet non-key tweet thread posts. My ability to see the Dood's posts should not be hindered by this drivel!

Reaction Score
To each their own, but I'll take a Florida beaches over Lake Erie and Ontario any day.

It's cheap to live in Western New York.

Which proves my point.

Honestly, I avoid Florida as much as I possibly can. California? Now that I love.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's cheap to live in Western New York.

Which proves my point.

Honestly, I avoid Florida as much as I possibly can. California? Now that I love.

I can live as comfortably in Florida financially as I did in Rochester or while in Cut. And I get to golf on New Year's Day.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Really Nelson?

Reaction Score
Fairfield County is unique because it is so close to NYC and cheaper than NYC. I am no expert, but UBS opened Stamford almost 20 years ago. I am not sure about RBS. Both have downsized and I'd wager much of that has to do with cutting costs in CT. Whatever the reason, nothing you wrote supports your original assertion that high revenue companies are currently flocking to CT.

Not defending CT; but, UBS's reduction in headcount in Stamford had little to do with the state and a lot to do with their restructuring after the $58 billion bailout by the Swiss government that the company endured after it lost everything including the kitchen sink when the economy tanked in '08 & '09. Stamford was the focal point of their mortgage business, which is where most of the losses came from. Thus, Stamford flelt those job cuts.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=ah0AFa2SEHhw

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loc...-stay-in-Connecticut-through-2021-5862247.php

Ditto for RBS, except they were bailed out by the UK government instead and look to be leaving the US as a whole, not just Stamford.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/bus...oncedes-little-future-in-Stamford-6104099.php

That said, Stamford looks to be surviving. Even residential buildings are popping out along the water south of the train station as folks are priced out of Manhattan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom