Non-Key Tweets | Page 237 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Since the wheels of conference realignment started I've been bullish on the,big 12. It makes sense that all 3 of the 12, big ten, and ACC would want a northeast presence as,they grow their conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are parts of NC truly that south when Cary NC outside of Raleigh apparently has an acronym - Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees.

It had that name when I lived there 20 years ago. Well I guess our C was centralized.

Reaction Score
Rochester and Buffalo are cheap because they are not popular destinations. That's why I said you're reinforcing what I wrote.

But surely you are totally disregarding so many ills with the south. There's a reason the south is the nation's economic basket case.

You are generalizing a bit. Florida has far more wealthier zip codes than Connecticut (even including Greenwich). BTW, not picking on Connecticut here. It's a wealthy state.

Reaction Score
Well, obviously people who lose their jobs, gets downsized, outsourced, or just fed up will move out. That much is clear. Income level is relative so someone making a decent salary could move out and still result in an increase in the average wage in CT. You harp on UBS and RBS, which of course are in CT because it's cheaper than Manhattan, yet just yesterday Aetna, Travelers, and GE mentioned the disappointing state of CT. Those companies have been in CT forever and probably would have moved years ago had it not been for their long-term commitments. Companies have been sending jobs out of state for years. Poll after poll shows that CT is flailing along well behind other states. But if you think everything is very rosie in CT, I will accept your opinion.
And I don't think its just low income people moving out. CT is very liberal with the cities and with low income people. These cities vote about 105% democrat for a reason.

These BIG sweeping statements are full of holes.

For instance, Yale New Haven Hospital has climbed from 11th biggest in the world into the top 5. How do you explain that? The other day I was in Shelton for the first time in like 20 years. There are lots of new development there.

The things that are working ... are working well. The chronic issues never seem to get fixed. That's no different than upstate NY or the rest of New England. PA. NJ. Probably Maryland, Delaware too.

If you trying to convince me that you are going to move GE to Charleston, SC, I am going to laugh at you.

Reaction Score
Im not sure how it translates across other professions but I'll cite teaching as it's what I do. Average first year salary in South Carolina is $30k compared to $43k in CT. Yup you can keep 800 dollar a month doublewides.

Reaction Score
You are generalizing a bit. Florida has far more wealthier zip codes than Connecticut (even including Greenwich). BTW, not picking on Connecticut here. It's a wealthy state.

Florida is a much bigger state than Conn.

I'm talking about overall wealth. Florida ranks 26th in per capita. Conn. is #1.

So, you're much likelier to find wealthy communities in Conn. than you are in Florida.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Florida is sometimes excluded from being considered a Southern state. Have you ever heard the saying, "The further north you go in Florida, the further south you get."?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
These BIG sweeping statements are full of holes.

For instance, Yale New Haven Hospital has climbed from 11th biggest in the world into the top 5. How do you explain that? The other day I was in Shelton for the first time in like 20 years. There are lots of new development there.

The things that are working ... are working well. The chronic issues never seem to get fixed. That's no different than upstate NY or the rest of New England. PA. NJ. Probably Maryland, Delaware too.

If you trying to convince me that you are going to move GE to Charleston, SC, I am going to laugh at you.
I digress here for a moment.

I'm a Fairfield county lifelong resident and I exude Connecticut pride. The winter weather stinks, but I can suck it up. I'm well traveled and if there is one place that I could choose to live other than CT, it would be Charleston, SC - specifically the suburb of Mount Pleasant. It has a Fairfield county cosmopolitan/suburban vibe. Politically it's split 50/50. It's got great schools, town amenities/services, low crime, warm weather and access to the beach. It's growing rapidly, and while I agree and don't think GE would move there, the area is home to several large corporate HQs in tech and healthcare sectors. And Charleston is a great college town too, with a nice bar and restaurant scene (from casual to upscale).

There may come a time when I relocate there, but it won't be because I don't love CT or there aren't opportunities here, or our tax burden is too high. A lot of these things are relative and it just comes down to preference and priorities.

Now back to non-key tweets...

Reaction Score
Florida is a much bigger state than Conn.

I'm talking about overall wealth. Florida ranks 26th in per capita. Conn. is #1.

So, you're much likelier to find wealthy communities in Conn. than you are in Florida.

Yes, it's a larger state, but you'll also find proportionally more, or at the very least, as many wealthy communities. Median income is skewed because in Florida there are residents/areas that occupy both ends of the spectrum across this large state. This is also true when it comes to home values. CT, in contrast, is much more weighted towards the middle. I just think your comments were fairly one-sided, and that there are plenty of highly desirable areas in Florida.

Reaction Score
Florida is sometimes excluded from being considered a Southern state. Have you ever heard the saying, "The further north you go in Florida, the further south you get."?
This is true.

Reaction Score
This is true.

The "sweet tea line" used to be around Leesburg...it has moved to north of Ocala. As a north Florida guy for 60 years...I have seen the Alabama/Georgia panhandle change quite a bit...especially along the beaches...(pretty deserted in the panhandle when I grew up).

Reaction Score
And the women are hotter...

I hate the south.

The cost of living is cheaper, the weather is better and the people are nicer.

No idea why people live there.

Reaction Score
The "sweet tea line" used to be around Leesburg...it has moved to north of Ocala. As a north Florida guy for 60 years...I have seen the Alabama/Georgia panhandle change quite a bit...especially along the beaches...(pretty deserted in the panhandle when I grew up).

It's probably defined today as a diagonal line that runs through St. Augustine and Gainesville. A few rural exceptions aside, it's tough to consider anything South of there as the "deep" South. Most of the migration into the panhandle is from Southern states, so it still has a Southern feel.

Reaction Score

I'm a Fairfield county lifelong resident and I exude Connecticut pride. The winter weather stinks, but I can suck it up. I'm well traveled and if there is one place that I could choose to live other than CT, it would be Charleston, SC - specifically the suburb of Mount Pleasant. It has a Fairfield county cosmopolitan/suburban vibe. Politically it's split 50/50. It's got great schools, town amenities/services, low crime, warm weather and access to the beach. It's growing rapidly, and while I agree and don't think GE would move there, the area is home to several large corporate HQs in tech and healthcare sectors. And Charleston is a great college town too, with a nice bar and restaurant scene (from casual to upscale).

There may come a time when I relocate there, but it won't be because I don't love CT or there aren't opportunities here, or our tax burden is too high. A lot of these things are relative and it just comes down to preference and priorities.

Don't know much about Mt. Pleasant; though I think technically that is where the Yorktown is berthed. that said, I gone to Charleston twice for work and thought it was a great city with a lot of history, a good dining & bar scene and one doesn't need a car to enjoy. That said, 50 years from now, most of that area maybe permanently underwater.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
Yes, I have head what Stansbury & O'Leary had to say about the dream coming true for UCF through Twitter. I believe it will happen someday

If someone has an audio/video of Stansbury on what he said today please pass it along if you can....thank you.

UCF has gained control of a huge market in Orlando...and did it as a G5. Just to be clear..I have no info on any direct knowledge of UCF/ P5

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@pfh1964 No idea. B12 is the logical answer..but B12 is not logical. B12 should do it...no doubt.

@knightbengal Do you have a transcript/audio/video of any sort..a partial one? do you remember what O'Leary said 2 months ago on radio?hummm

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 53m53 minutes ago
@knightbengal Thanks. When you get it pleased put it on your Twitter. Remember what GOL said 2 months ago"geographical changes" in P5?

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@knightbengal That GOL interview becomes even more interesting....IMO

ucf #noflyzone ‏@knightbengal · 11m11 minutes ago
@flugempire gol said tonight. We will be in a p5 conference

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 22m22 minutes ago
So Standbury wasn't even scheduled to speak at tonight's event...but he just ran up on stage and spoke.
Huuummm..

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 11m11 minutes ago
UCF will get into a P5...somewhere....sometime.
UCF now owns Orlando. UCF has too much value to sit on other side of 65.
UCONN same thing

Reaction Score
Zack‏@Zack_Shields
"Because of Twitter I have to be careful how I say this.The dreams of UCF & what you want...we are talking about a sprint." - Todd Stansbury

Zack ‏@Zack_Shields 3h3 hours ago
"In evaluations for P5 prospects, they say fan support is our weakness. That is a myth. Out of all G5 in attendance, we are #3...

...we are ahead of 10 P5s. We have put UCF on the map and they know who we are. We are eliminating the myth and it's not a marathon...

...it's a sprint." - Todd Stansbury

TS just fired up the crowd with what felt like a political rally. That was impressive.

This is the most candid UCF officials have EVER been about the P5. That combined with the rumblings this last week...

Zack‏@Zack_Shields
@chiucfgal Todd basically said he wanted to share some things but because of Twitter he can't

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 41m41 minutes ago
"Because of Twitter I have to be careful how I say this.The dreams of UCF & what you want...we are talking about a sprint."

Standbury UCF

Most interesting part of Standbury Quote tonight?
Not the "sprint" part...but the "because of Twitter I have to be careful" part
Why?...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 38m38 minutes ago
B/c Stansbury did not want his words to be misinterpreted by Twitter or did not want his words to spread on Twitter? (loose lips sink ships)

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 36m36 minutes ago
I think it's "loose lips sink ships"...because then he talks about a "sprint".

...to the finish line...right?
Most interesting night

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 31m31 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush @azescobar1 @TuxedoYoda Read my timeline Daniel. Stansbury talks at UCF event tonight..unscheduled speaker

Expansion Crush ‏@Expansion_Crush · 30m30 minutes ago
@flugempire was he being cheeky or serious

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire @Expansion_Crush Dead ass serious. Earlier O'Leary got up on stage and saidUFC is going to P5 conference. Stansbury is a quiet guy..

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 29m29 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush ...he gets up on stage, unscheduled, and says what he said. I guess the place went nuts

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire @Expansion_Crush Hoping we get video/audio tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 37m37 minutes ago
@knightbengal @geoffmitchell spoke to B12 contact. It's just a rumor. Nothing to it.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 37m37 minutes ago
@knightbengal @geoffmitchell I told him what UCF guy said. His response was that's his problem.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 36m36 minutes ago
@knightbengal @geoffmitchell said statement was typical rally speak without any basis.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 35m35 minutes ago
@knightbengal @geoffmitchell I asked him directly if UCF or any AAC school was being considered. He said none meet the standard.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 34m34 minutes ago
@knightbengal @geoffmitchell I asked him if any informal talks were occurring or had occurred between B12 & UCF/UC or any AAC school.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 35m35 minutes ago
@knightbengal @geoffmitchell He said no.

Reaction Score
In the grand scheme of the universe UCF athletics has been a thing for like a day. I'll puke if they are in a P5 and we aren't. Their prize pig football team couldn't even beat us in our worst season ever. Their basketball team is laughable. Their baseball team is decent but that's baseball.

GG

Reaction Score
"Because of Twitter I have to be careful how I say this.The dreams of UCF & what you want...we are talking about a sprint."

Standbury UCF

Most interesting part of Standbury Quote tonight?
Not the "sprint" part...but the "because of Twitter I have to be careful" part
Why?...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 38m38 minutes ago
B/c Stansbury did not want his words to be misinterpreted by Twitter or did not want his words to spread on Twitter? (loose lips sink ships)

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 36m36 minutes ago
I think it's "loose lips sink ships"...because then he talks about a "sprint".

...to the finish line...right?
Most interesting night

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 31m31 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush @azescobar1 @TuxedoYoda Read my timeline Daniel. Stansbury talks at UCF event tonight..unscheduled speaker

Expansion Crush ‏@Expansion_Crush · 30m30 minutes ago
@flugempire was he being cheeky or serious

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire @Expansion_Crush Dead ass serious. Earlier O'Leary got up on stage and saidUFC is going to P5 conference. Stansbury is a quiet guy..

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 29m29 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush ...he gets up on stage, unscheduled, and says what he said. I guess the place went nuts

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire @Expansion_Crush Hoping we get video/audio tomorrow.
Interesting, especially when combined with tuxedo yoga's statement that ucf, UCONN, Cincinnati and BYU ( BYU football only) are headed to the Big 12. I did not give TY's tweet much thought, but now I am reconsidering. Some may say that I am grasping for straws, but when you have nothing else....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My parents retired to a community near Beaufort, south of Charleston. I've been to Mt. Pleasant and my wife has friends there. That's a great choice. Superb beach access too and Charleston is more interesting than any city in CT, and it's not close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom