Non-Key Tweets | Page 1031 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
If they had the votes, we would not be discussing this now.
Not so sure on that one. It's Thursday now and they just got their consultant presentation on Monday. Given that and it's a new school year. I'm sure there's arm twisting going on but these once in motion turn like a cruise ship.

Reaction Score
Not so sure on that one. It's Thursday now and they just got their consultant presentation on Monday. Given that and it's a new school year. I'm sure there's arm twisting going on but these once in motion turn like a cruise ship.
The votes on the Pac12 schools took 2 days.

This is going on so so long. Not good.

Reaction Score
The votes on the Pac12 schools took 2 days.

This is going on so so long. Not good.

Happens…

“In an earlier report that came out a couple of weeks ago, it was Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, and NC State that were voting against adding both schools and one vote would need to flip if Cal and Stanford wanted to join the conference (expanding requires 12 out of 15 votes). From what Marcello is reporting, it does not sound like any of those schools have flipped their votes.”

Who knows which way this wind will end up blowing…

Reaction Score
Monty and his son have always been against UConn, but they have changed their tune. They finally get Yormark's plan. Yormark wants UConn so he can get the ACC schools. The Big 12 thinks they can get them. He says he talked to someone high up in the Big 12.

I had the script on Friday
The B12 commissioner is trying to zag when the other power conferences are zigging. He's expecting basketball to have growth and earn a closer share of revenue dollars to football over the years. So he's loading up on undervalued basketball-focused properties (Arizona, Houston, BYU, etc.) and worthwhile "leftovers".

His goal is P3. The top schools in all other conferences have joined the B1G or SEC, and FSU/Clemson have made it clear they're looking to bolt the ACC as soon as they find a way around the grant of rights or bully their way out. Yormark is seeing how tenuous the ACC's position is, and how many strong basketball-focused brands/schools the ACC has that won't be the top choice of B1G/SEC. The B12 was almost dead, and now he's trying to make the B12 a better landing spot for some of the basketball-focused ACC schools when the time comes instead of ACC teams staying and trying to poach FROM the B12. So he's getting UConn in right away to further enhance the B12's value in the run up to their next media negotiation and next round of realignment (easier to convince east coast teams from ACC that B12 will work for them if they have UConn as a test case and "friend" as it were... and keep us from the ACC as a decent fill-in when others leave).

From UConn's perspective, joining right away hopefully gets us more short term money while eventually getting us enough money when football joins and we get a full share to compete when the House settlement and revenue sharing of up to $25 million annually to players kicks in. B12 presidents don't want to give us football money that comes out of their share and ESPN won't give us full pro rata share because our football is garbage. So have to wait for a full re-negotiation in 2031, and B12 presidents are pretty skeptical about our football so they'll add some stipulations to protect themselves from us joining if we don't improve football so we're not a net drain on that future football negotiation. UConn would prefer football in right away, but it doesn't seem to be an option.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
IIRC the corner 4 schools, aside from Colorado, were a package deal.

Those schools had less leverage than UConn has now, and were bad and/or redundant in their markets. They were desperate and in no position to make make demands and they got full memberships in a league that appears to be turning us down for a basketball only membership coming off a national championship in men’s and a final four in women’s where we posted one of the highest rated games in the sport’s history despite playing it at 10 pm on a Friday.

Conference realignment sucks.

Reaction Score
Sounds like some schools think it’s too much too quickly.
Seems like odd timing. Start of semester, students and possibly protesters coming back and start of football season. Guessing it might not be top priority?

Reaction Score
Those schools had less leverage than UConn has now, and were bad and/or redundant in their markets. They were desperate and in no position to make make demands and they got full memberships in a league that appears to be turning us down for a basketball only membership coming off a national championship in men’s and a final four in women’s where we posted one of the highest rated games in the sport’s history despite playing it at 10 pm on a Friday.

Conference realignment sucks.
I think that was the strength in being a package deal. But that’s also why I’m skeptical we’ll get in this time around.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think that was the strength in being a package deal. But that’s also why I’m skeptical we’ll get in this time around.

They weren't a package deal. They would have slit each other's throats in a heartbeat for a spot on the Big 12 lifeboat.

Reaction Score
Seems like odd timing. Start of semester, students and possibly protesters coming back and start of football season. Guessing it might not be top priority?

It always happens at this time of year. With the season going again it will be pushed into the back burner within the media, it already kind of was.

The closer it gets to basketball the better I say.

We’re good enough to seriously considers but not good enough to be urgent.

I see people refer to UConn Football as “unwashed -ss”. The fact that they are even still considering football is a minor miracle.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
It's so weird to me that the big thing is "UConn needs to commit to spend more on football." Well, what do you think we would do if we had an extra $20 mil per year from our conference? In fact, the best way to quickly improve the football program is to give us a full or partial share up front.

Reaction Score
If you look back, early fall, late august has always been the time that realignment happens.

Which is true.

I wonder if Yormark might have gotten more traction by rolling this out at the start of hoop season.

Reaction Score
It's so weird to me that the big thing is "UConn needs to commit to spend more on football." Well, what do you think we would do if we had an extra $20 mil per year from our conference? In fact, the best way to quickly improve the football program is to give us a full or partial share up front.

These people are stupid.

The AAC adds were just as poor as us before they got Big 12 checks.

Reaction Score
It gives UConn a good excuse.

"Why aren't you consistently winning?"

"It is difficult to support a program financially outside a competitive conference. When UConn was in the Big East and better supported financially, we competed well."

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
We're in a catch 22. We need more money to get football back to competitive levels, but for that we need to be in a conference where we get more football money. Hard to do the former without the latter being true, and we get slammed for this every time.

Reaction Score
Agree and it’s also why I’m tired of the comparisons to Vandy, even from B12 podcasters that support adding Uconn. If Uconn gets full or partial B12 shares, they won’t be the Vandy of the B12. Uconn already showed what they can do in a power conference. Given the chance, they’ll get it done again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom