Non-Key Tweets | Page 1030 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Monty and his son have always been against UConn, but they have changed their tune. They finally get Yormark's plan. Yormark wants UConn so he can get the ACC schools. The Big 12 thinks they can get them. He says he talked to someone high up in the Big 12.

The show is still live, so I’ll go back to try to find it later, but why does getting UConn allow the Big 12 to get ACC schools? Wouldn’t ACC schools come to the Big 12 no matter what?

Reaction Score
The show is still live, so I’ll go back to try to find it later, but why does getting UConn allow the Big 12 to get ACC schools? Wouldn’t ACC schools come to the Big 12 no matter what?
Yes they would. I don't understand why Yormark with put UConn through this if he knew he couldn't do it to start with.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes they would. I don't understand why Yormark with put UConn through this if he knew he couldn't do it to start with.

Leonardo Dicaprio Cause GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
A lot of the anti-Big XII sentiment here reads a lot like the faculties objections to a UConn upgrade back in the mid-90s. The faculties concerns were, what about academics, it feels like we're too focused on sports, resenting the focus and more specifically the money spent on athletics (Basketball) wasn't being spent on academics. Of course they were also failing to recognize that, that success was leading to record applicants and boosting the quality of the student population.

Now it's the Big East nostalgists concerned that there's too much focus on football and resenting that dollars spent on football aren't being spent on basketball.... failing to recognize that football's existence and more success there will lead to record revenues and boost the ability to continue to pay the best coaches in the nation on the basketball side or to maximize revenue sharing with the players to continue to attract top talent.

The faculty sentiment helped slow things down, ultimately contributing to UConn having less time to build a track record in football (and potentially contributing to the current situation)... the basketball sentiment and high profile naysayers (i.e. the state speaker of the house, the US senators) may ultimately slow/untrack (or at least provide an excuse that UConn doesn't have the support necessary) a potential move here...

Reaction Score
Monty and his son have always been against UConn, but they have changed their tune. They finally get Yormark's plan. Yormark wants UConn so he can get the ACC schools. The Big 12 thinks they can get them. He says he talked to someone high up in the Big 12.

Yeah, in conference realignment world the game is raid or be raided. Adding UConn greases the skids for future additions.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah, in conference realignment world the game is raid or be raided. Adding UConn greases the skids for future additions.
For what it's worth whether or not the addition of Connecticut makes the big 12 more attractive to ACC basketball centric schools is hardly the big driver in this round of "almost" conference realignment. The thing that's driving this is the fact that Connecticut is undisputably the best basketball school in the country, particularly if you count both women's basketball and men's basketball. Additionally, it is located in the north east, which is an attractive addition to the big 12 footprint. Both of which we're not enough to get us across the finish line... again.

Reaction Score
Now it's the Big East nostalgists concerned that there's too much focus on football and resenting that dollars spent on football aren't being spent on basketball....

and those people seem oblivious to Yormark's plan to have a separate basketball contract which will likely be double that (at least) of the Big East deal.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth whether or not the addition of Connecticut makes the big 12 more attractive to ACC basketball centric schools is hardly the big driver in this round of "almost" conference realignment. The thing that's driving this is the fact that Connecticut is undisputably the best basketball school in the country, particularly if you count both women's basketball and men's basketball. Additionally, it is located in the north east, which is an attractive addition to the big 12 footprint. Both of which we're not enough to get us across the finish line... again.

the biggest change from this year to last year is probably the television value of Women's basketball. If this happens, we should all send Caitlin Clark a thank you note for the assist.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A lot of the anti-Big XII sentiment here reads a lot like the faculties objections to a UConn upgrade back in the mid-90s. The faculties concerns were, what about academics, it feels like we're too focused on sports, resenting the focus and more specifically the money spent on athletics (Basketball) wasn't being spent on academics. Of course they were also failing to recognize that, that success was leading to record applicants and boosting the quality of the student population.

Now it's the Big East nostalgists concerned that there's too much focus on football and resenting that dollars spent on football aren't being spent on basketball.... failing to recognize that football's existence and more success there will lead to record revenues and boost the ability to continue to pay the best coaches in the nation on the basketball side or to maximize revenue sharing with the players to continue to attract top talent.

The faculty sentiment helped slow things down, ultimately contributing to UConn having less time to build a track record in football (and potentially contributing to the current situation)... the basketball sentiment and high profile naysayers (i.e. the state speaker of the house, the US senators) may ultimately slow/untrack (or at least provide an excuse that UConn doesn't have the support necessary) a potential move here...

Why do people insist on insulting those that disagree with them? People are not hesitant about this move purely because of nostalgia. UConn is in a good basketball league that pays reasonably well and has nearby teams that fans care about. The pro-BE contingent gets that the Big East is a big problem for football.

The problem is that the Big 12 is a Franken-league of far flung, second tier state schools and a handful of religious-based private schools that...is not taking us for football. With Arizona, the Big 12 is the best basketball league in the country, but not by a mile, and we don't know the financial difference.

If the Big 12 doesn't want us until 2031, why not just stay in the Big East for now and agree to join the Big 12 in 2031 if it still makes sense for everyone at that time?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Where will the incentive and money come from in the next 7 years to ramp up the football program?

I am in favor of more money, but the only data we have is Boneyarders negotiating among ourselves for what our cut will be. Until we know, we don't know. The difference needs to include the fact that we have to pay $15 million to leave the Big East.

I think that a minimum 3 or 4 game commitment by Big 12 schools would be a good sweetener for UConn, and tip the deal in the Big 12's favor. But just leaving the Big East for the Big 12 for a few million more a year for the chance to apply to join the Big 12 for football in 2031 is not that exciting.

Reaction Score
I get the pros and cons of both sides. Having to wait until 2031 for football is a tough pill to swallow and I could see it being a big sticking point. The Big 12 and ACC are #3 and #4 right now and both sides think they will be doing the poaching. If the Big 12 grabs UConn, that could go a long way to having ACC programs preferring to join the Big 12 rather than trying to keep the ACC afloat.

What if UConn agrees to the 2031 date and then suddenly Pitt and Cuse get a full invite in say 2028? If the Big 12 is really serious about adding UConn, we should be doing everything possible to get football in earlier even if it means a discount.

Reaction Score
I am in favor of more money, but the only data we have is Boneyarders negotiating among ourselves for what our cut will be. Until we know, we don't know. The difference needs to include the fact that we have to pay $15 million to leave the Big East.

I think that a minimum game commitment by Big 12 schools would be a good sweetener for UConn, and tip the deal in the Big 12's favor. But just leaving the Big East for the Big 12 for a few million more a year for the chance to apply to join the Big 12 for football in 2031 is not that exciting.
We paid 17 million to leave the AAC early. That was worth it. This would be too.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I get the pros and cons of both sides. Having to wait until 2031 for football is a tough pill to swallow and I could see it being a big sticking point. The Big 12 and ACC are #3 and #4 right now and both sides think they will be doing the poaching. If the Big 12 grabs UConn, that could go a long way to having ACC programs preferring to join the Big 12 rather than trying to keep the ACC afloat.

What if UConn agrees to the 2031 date and then suddenly Pitt and Cuse get a full invite in say 2028? If the Big 12 is really serious about adding UConn, we should be doing everything possible to get football in earlier even if it means a discount.

UConn doesn't move the needle at all, for anyone. And it is reasonably likely that most of both the Big 12 and ACC get blown out and left on the side of the road if college football becomes a P2 or just blows itself up with stupidity and kills the sport. Would we rather be in the Big East or Big 12 when that happens?

Reaction Score
Where will the incentive and money come from in the next 7 years to ramp up the football program?
The incentive has always been there, people either can’t or don’t want to see it.

Twelve months ago, it was a good idea to build up the FB program in order to be ready for the opportunity when it presented itself(luck is opportunity meeting preparation, except in Rutgers case. Pure dumb luck.)

With the speed that collegiate athletics has evolved, it is now imperative to get straight, or Hoops will go away

Reaction Score
The incentive has always been there, people either can’t or don’t want to see it.

Twelve months ago, it was a good idea to build up the FB program in order to be ready for the opportunity when it presented itself(luck is opportunity meeting preparation, except in Rutgers case. Pure dumb luck.)

With the speed that collegiate athletics has evolved, it is now imperative to get straight, or Hoops will go away
If we get a scheduling agreement with the Big 12 for football, that would go a long way to increase fan support of the football program, including buying tickets. And big donor support. That is why I ask where is the money going to come from in the next 7 years if we aren't going to the Big 12?

CL82

Reaction Score
the biggest change from this year to last year is probably the television value of Women's basketball. If this happens, we should all send Caitlin Clark a thank you note for the assist.
I'm not a huge Caitlyn Clark fan. She kind of seems like a jerk to me, with her taunting opponents two years ago in Iowa's NCAA run or the flops she takes in the WNBA, but she is indisputably an incredible talent. Everybody talks about her shooting range, but her assists are really well done, smart and right on the money.

I absolutely agree that she has been the catalyst for an awakening of appreciation of women's basketball. Think that's hyperbole? The most watched basketball game last year, men's or women's, including the NBA, was the national championship game. A tribute that largely to her record-breaking run her senior year.

So, yeah, while the Connecticut women's basketball brand was already well established and national, the appreciation for women's basketball generally was enhanced by Clark's flashy skill set, and incredible run last year.

Reaction Score
If we get a scheduling agreement with the Big 12 for football, that would go a long way to increase fan support of the football program, including buying tickets. And big donor support. That is why I ask where is the money going to come from in the next 7 years if we aren't going to the Big 12?
Going to be a struggle if we aren’t in, but going “all out” or “ we’ll wait until 2030 to get going”can’t be an option. Where did Mr D’Amelio come from? Let’s find the next one! Tough job, but that’s what it is.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't move the needle at all, for anyone. And it is reasonably likely that most of both the Big 12 and ACC get blown out and left on the side of the road if college football becomes a P2 or just blows itself up with stupidity and kills the sport. Would we rather be in the Big East or Big 12 when that happens?
UConn does move the needle. Whatever happens, when the dust settles, I think programs like Pitt, Cuse, Louisville would prefer to be with UConn, Cincy, WVU. If they do get blown up, I'd rather be with those remaining football schools in what could be a similar Big East Football Conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well, I would imagine that a goal of not sucking is something that the team, the coaching staff, in the athletic department has always had. in addition to that dangling, the carrot of P4 membership is another nice incentive.

Reaction Score
My opinion is there is nothing political about mentioning certain individuals who love press or taking certain actions and calling them out on it, but I guess that is a no no so you won’t see it from me. I don’t care if these individuals are Independent, Republican, Democratic or members of the Green Party but I have learned my lesson

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Well apparently they did have the votes if you believe the leaks. They even supposedly had the votes last year. Now they're trying to hold on to the votes.

Reaction Score

This Monty guy has to be full of it. There’s no way UConn turned down an ACC offer, and there’s no way Gonzaga has an offer to the Big 12. Yormark openly said those talks are done, and even Dennis Dodd mentioned that interest in Gonzaga has dropped, but UConn is still in the mix. It’s pretty clear where things stand. Yormark wants basketball, and the Big 12 Presidents and ADs see themselves as equals to the SEC and Big Ten. If a vote was going to happen, it would’ve happened by now. This whole situation will fade as football season gets underway—maybe that’s why the timing worked out so well.

Well apparently they did have the votes if you believe the leaks. They even supposedly had the votes last year. Now they're trying to hold on to the votes.

UConn did have the votes. But bringing in BYU and Utah probably didn't do much to help UConn's cause, nor UCF prob.

Reaction Score
If they had the votes, we would not be discussing this now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom