Nika out vs GA Tech | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Nika out vs GA Tech

Reaction Score
EW & CW will play 40.
Bigs need to stay out of foul trouble.
Yes and yes…but this is year two worrying about Evina. Welcome Caroline…she’ll have fun hooking up with Christyn. And some Mir minutes should be in order. No worries…Georgia Tech folk haven’t met UConn before…or at least any time recently so their current players are about to get their first taste of UConn speed, ferocity, and confidence. With attitude. History shows this rarely goes well for even “great” teams…’95 LVs, ‘15 Gamecocks, ‘10 Baylor, ‘14 Muffet. At least for tomorrow we’re good. 79-60.

Reaction Score
It seems the stars are aligned for Caroline to get plenty of PT. It is exactly what she needs but having essentially no subs at guard is not good. We have no choice really but to go with a 2 guard lineup. Against Georgia Tech that is not necessarily a bad thing. There is such a thing as a walk on player right? Maybe that is under consideration for a while.
You made a prediction to yourself and it came to be? JR Payne should be in line for a better job if she's doing a better job than Geno.
SMH even harder. I never heard of Southern Utah until you brought them up so maybe you should take your own advice and : "forget this Southern Utah crap."
Don’t forget Dixie st Colorado already did beat them

Reaction Score
We have talked about Geno going to 4 guards in the past. Maybe the next conversation is starting 3- 4 bigs. Just kidding - I think.;) Should be interesting.

Reaction Score
As bad as the news is, its only Dec 8. We just need them to get healthy, and I mean really healthy before they come back. Big question mark with Paige, but Aubrey, Nika, and Azzi should be back within 3 or 4 weeks. If we can stay out of foul trouble, and the others play the way we know they can, we may be ready for March. I would really like to see Amari and Piath get some time on the court, who knows, maybe they will surprise us and Geno. One thing is for sure, a lot of games may be a little more interesting this year. As long as there are no more setback, we will be ok. As I said, its only Dec. 8.
Piath is working on her ball handling skills right now......she's next up as PG !!.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
UConn has been fortunate the last few years regarding the # of injuries sustained. Looks like the averages is catching up to them. I don't for a second think it has to do with training and/or practices, rather a big part of the women's game (please don't itake that as a sexist comment - it just appears college women are more prone to certain injuries than college men). I think the Huskies will be ok without Nika - she really hasn't demonstrated much add on value this year to date.
I absolutely agree with a LOT of what you post here. But, some are wondering if this is common why more top WCBB team are not afflicted with this syndrome. Is it this particular group? Is there some, maybe, too much court time i.e, practices, pickup games, one on one after practice, one on one teaching?? There seems to be SOMETHING that created 6 out of 14 players to be sidelined at the same time.
Since I don't have a private phone into the Training, Coaching staffs I DON'T KNOW. This isn't speculation, it is more into trying to determine (for myself) WHAT's Going ON?? Like you and others I am concerned about the season, at least the beginning. Regardless, we all shall survive this win or lose.

Reaction Score
My guess:

CW 40
EW 40
Ono 30-35 (depending on fouls)
AE 30-35 (depending on fouls)
Dorka 25-30
CD 25-30

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
At what point do they start looking at how they are practicing? Or what they are doing? Is it just bad luck? Are they being pushed too hard leading to injuries? Is it the shoes they are wearing? Azzi had a lingering foot injury before she got to UCONN, but now we have 3 others out.

I have no idea, but yikes. Maybe I'm just venting and being frustrated, but it sure seems like we have more injuries than almost all other teams out there. Poor kids - dropping like flies... I know no one is more frustrated than the players themselves (and the coaches too).

I hope this doesn't mean 35 minutes for Evina, Christyn, Olivia, ONO, Dorka and Caroline (I realize those #'s don't work out but am just making a point - that could spell even more injuries as kids tire out).

Regardless of who is "UCONN ready", I think he needs to start using the bench more. Maybe focus on just a few things for each player to work on and do well instead of not playing them because they aren't ready to do EVERYTHING he wants.
Here we go again. How did Geno screw this up. I know he has coached the same way for 37 years, but, I am sure he is doing something wrong. PLEASE

Reaction Score
Geno has always been creative making sure Huskies not only had an adequate roster but enough players to practice. Magically in the past, Anna and Nika showed up and before that walkons joined the team. Wonder if he has any nuggets of gold he can apply here.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yesterday I watched my Colorado team crush Southern Utah, grabbing 20 steals, putting NINE different players on the floor in first 2 1/2 minutes, having 10 score. That wasn’t unusual, that is how they have played every game, how they press hard on defense on every play, how you use the bench. The leading scorer for past two games comes off the bench, the team leader in steals on a team that is among the nation’s best in steals and total defense, is a freshman coming off the bench. Colorado is 9-0 and ranked 25th because it has nine, not five, starters. UConn has great depth, huh? Prove it. If they earn minutes in practice, what is wrong with the practices that sees so few players on the floor? Why are we playing our super star to exhaustion, inviting injury? Why? Why? Why? Time to pull our heads out of the sand.
1639002001985.gif

Reaction Score
My guess:

CW 40
EW 40
Ono 30-35 (depending on fouls)
AE 30-35 (depending on fouls)
Dorka 25-30
CD 25-30
Let’s hope there’s no foul trouble…especially for the guards.

Reaction Score
This discussion is so serious. I guess that I will have to put on the keds and fill in as point guard. At my age, 79, I'll break wind a couple of times and the opposing team will clear the floor if the not the stadium. We will have to make sure the UConn team wear their masks. Just make sure that they have EMT standing by to move immediately as I need to have a valve replacement.

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with a LOT of what you post here. But, some are wondering if this is common why more top WCBB team are not afflicted with this syndrome. Is it this particular group? Is there some, maybe, too much court time i.e, practices, pickup games, one on one after practice, one on one teaching?? There seems to be SOMETHING that created 6 out of 14 players to be sidelined at the same time.
Since I don't have a private phone into the Training, Coaching staffs I DON'T KNOW. This isn't speculation, it is more into trying to determine (for myself) WHAT's Going ON?? Like you and others I am concerned about the season, at least the beginning. Regardless, we all shall survive this win or lose.
Texas has three players out with injuries. Tennessee lost two starters from last season to injury. South Carolina's PG is day to day and the backup is lost for the season, with their PF basically taking over as PG. The injury bug is not unique to UConn.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
When it rains it pours. Character check for the team being short handed.

tcno2fan

Tina Charles No. 2 Fan
Reaction Score
UConn starting to feel like the 2021 Mystics :confused:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I haven’t seen this many injuries since my sons convinced me to play roller hockey with them.
In looking for another exercise beyond running and cycling, 15+ years ago, I bought a pair of rollerblades. My daughter was maybe 3 years old. I live on not-flat road that's not hot pack asphalt, but what I refer to as oil and gravel. They drip liquid tar onto it and then spread coarse gravel/fine rubble. So it's rough and has lots of patches. Well, that's where I tried rollerblading. I started getting the hang of it a couple of times only to take a couple of spills. Evidently my daughter was watching from the front window and laughing so hard, my wife started watching, too. I finally jammed a finger and came in to a couple of beautiful ladies with red faces and tears on their faces from laughing so hard.

Reaction Score
Those of you who think that the current injury bug is unprecedented or indicating that the Team is doing something wrong, recall that in 2018 ND lost four players to ACLs--and then beat us.

"Notre Dame lost four players to torn ACLs this season. It started with All-American forward Brianna Turner, who injured her knee in last year’s NCAA tournament. Then, it was senior guard Mychael Johnson who tore her ACL in practice in October. Freshman center Mikayla Vaughn tore her ACL in practice a month later. Guard Lili Thompson’s season then ended in January when she tore her ACL in a game, leaving Notre Dame with just seven scholarship players."

Reaction Score
So much for Nika starting in place of Paige. Either Caroline gets her 1st start, UConn goes big with Dorka or maybe Aubrey is good to go…..
Aubrey is not " good to go." She gave it a try and it did not work. And Muhl is probably going to be out 4-6 weeks, much like Azzi. It looks like this is going to be one of those years...We have three guards now. Mir can probably play several positions. And then...time for walk-ons from the student body? Or, as someone said, we just go big and slow. Start one guard and four in the paint area. This will be a coaching challenge. And a player challenge. We'll see it unfold tomorrow.

Reaction Score
In looking for another exercise beyond running and cycling, 15+ years ago, I bought a pair of rollerblades. My daughter was maybe 3 years old. I live on not-flat road that's not hot pack asphalt, but what I refer to as oil and gravel. They drip liquid tar onto it and then spread coarse gravel/fine rubble. So it's rough and has lots of patches. Well, that's where I tried rollerblading. I started getting the hang of it a couple of times only to take a couple of spills. Evidently my daughter was watching from the front window and laughing so hard, my wife started watching, too. I finally jammed a finger and came in to a couple of beautiful ladies with red faces and tears on their faces from laughing so hard.
I recommend chess.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
My memory has gone south but didn’t the Boston Globe famously say several years ago that we’ve got them where we want them when the Yankees were up 3-0. in the playoffs?
I won a thousand dollars off that series. I got 100 - 1 odds on a $10 bet after the Yankees went 3-0.

Reaction Score
Those of you who think that the current injury bug is unprecedented or indicating that the Team is doing something wrong, recall that in 2018 ND lost four players to ACLs--and then beat us.

"Notre Dame lost four players to torn ACLs this season. It started with All-American forward Brianna Turner, who injured her knee in last year’s NCAA tournament. Then, it was senior guard Mychael Johnson who tore her ACL in practice in October. Freshman center Mikayla Vaughn tore her ACL in practice a month later. Guard Lili Thompson’s season then ended in January when she tore her ACL in a game, leaving Notre Dame with just seven scholarship players."
I think I remember a walk on getting some serious minutes out of necessity during that season.........USF also had one of those injury disastrous plagued seasons a few years ago......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom