Nika out vs GA Tech | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika out vs GA Tech

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As Mars Lee once said, it's gotta be the shoes.

Old School 90S GIF
:D Mars Blackmon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My impression is that Georgia Tech does not play 'fast'. That type of game may be of some help to us.
Playing a half-court game is a better choice right now than our [occasionally] run amuk fast breaks.

Nika ready to go for UCLA on Saturday?
Doesn't look like it. They are talking as much as 3 weeks for Nika.

Reaction Score
At what point do they start looking at how they are practicing? Or what they are doing? Is it just bad luck? Are they being pushed too hard leading to injuries? Is it the shoes they are wearing? Azzi had a lingering foot injury before she got to UCONN, but now we have 3 others out.

I have no idea, but yikes. Maybe I'm just venting and being frustrated, but it sure seems like we have more injuries than almost all other teams out there. Poor kids - dropping like flies... I know no one is more frustrated than the players themselves (and the coaches too).

I hope this doesn't mean 35 minutes for Evina, Christyn, Olivia, ONO, Dorka and Caroline (I realize those #'s don't work out but am just making a point - that could spell even more injuries as kids tire out).

Regardless of who is "UCONN ready", I think he needs to start using the bench more. Maybe focus on just a few things for each player to work on and do well instead of not playing them because they aren't ready to do EVERYTHING he wants.
There’s an epidemic of injuries amongst the entire basketball world. People are getting high injuries and more often recent years. At every level. That is because of prolonged fatigue. Kids are starting to play competitively younger and younger. And after all we are only human. You should look into research on that. It is definitely interesting.

Reaction Score
Yesterday I watched my Colorado team crush Southern Utah, grabbing 20 steals, putting NINE different players on the floor in first 2 1/2 minutes, having 10 score. That wasn’t unusual, that is how they have played every game, how they press hard on defense on every play, how you use the bench. The leading scorer for past two games comes off the bench, the team leader in steals on a team that is among the nation’s best in steals and total defense, is a freshman coming off the bench. Colorado is 9-0 and ranked 25th because it has nine, not five, starters. UConn has great depth, huh? Prove it. If they earn minutes in practice, what is wrong with the practices that sees so few players on the floor? Why are we playing our super star to exhaustion, inviting injury? Why? Why? Why? Time to pull our heads out of the sand.

Reaction Score
Says it's a lingering injury suffered in last year's tournament.

The issue stems from the foot injury she suffered last season in the NCAA Tournament opener against High Point. It continued to bother Mühl throughout the summer and now, she’ll be sidelined for the next few weeks to prevent it from developing into a more serious problem

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yesterday I watched my Colorado team crush Southern Utah, grabbing 20 steals, putting NINE different players on the floor in first 2 1/2 minutes, having 10 score. That wasn’t unusual, that is how they have played every game, how they press hard on defense on every play, how you use the bench. The leading scorer for past two games comes off the bench, the team leader in steals on a team that is among the nation’s best in steals and total defense, is a freshman coming off the bench. Colorado is 9-0 and ranked 25th because it has nine, not five, starters. UConn has great depth, huh? Prove it. If they earn minutes in practice, what is wrong with the practices that sees so few players on the floor? Why are we playing our super star to exhaustion, inviting injury? Why? Why? Why? Time to pull our heads out of the sand.
So you want UCONN to become like Colorado and crush Southern Utah?
Im Out GIF by Shark Tank

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
God you never miss an opportunity to change the subject to Colorado. Nika's hurt, you say? Let's do a detailed game analysis of Colorado vs Cupcake Middle School. Super helpful and relevant.

Reaction Score
Is guess Westbrook plays PG and CD starts on the wing. We’re down to 6 bodies that have played any meaningful minutes this season. The active bench is looking like Dorka, Mir, Piath, and Amari. Suddenly we have all post players!

Reaction Score
There’s an epidemic of injuries amongst the entire basketball world. People are getting high injuries and more often recent years. At every level. That is because of prolonged fatigue. Kids are starting to play competitively younger and younger. And after all we are only human. You should look into research on that. It is definitely interesting.
Like the AAU marathons they play almost year 'round now?

It's getting to be like a job for the kids starting with youth programs and leading up to the big crescendo in their Junior and Senior years.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I assume the other injured players go with the team to Georgia Tech. Will Paige go as well or is air travel not good this close to the injury?

3 weeks until Nika returns? Yikes!

Evina the primary point guard..considerable ball-handling help from Christyn and hopefully Caroline.
Mir on occasion as well. Lots of outlet passes to wide-open bigs who can move it up the court...I can see only short
breaks in PT [around the end of quarters?] for Evina/Christyn/Caroline...do we not need at least 2 of the three on the court at the same time?

Reaction Score
Caroline still on the team?
yes............she's the last of the Mohicans...............uhhhh guards.............you asked if a fifteenth player would make a difference and I'm saying yes if they could competently handle the ball...........BTW I'm not saying UConn needs to carry 15 players every year...........you'd know better than me when the last time there were this many injuries at the same time........,......it's clearly an anomaly..............I'm just saying thank God there were 14 this season and what seemed like a playing time problem just turned into every woman on deck.......UConn may have to take a page out of the Oregon State play book with 3-4 starters 6'4" or taller.......

Reaction Score
It seems the stars are aligned for Caroline to get plenty of PT. It is exactly what she needs but having essentially no subs at guard is not good. We have no choice really but to go with a 2 guard lineup. Against Georgia Tech that is not necessarily a bad thing. There is such a thing as a walk on player right? Maybe that is under consideration for a while.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom