Nika out vs GA Tech | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Nika out vs GA Tech

Reaction Score
This discussion is so serious. I guess that I will have to put on the keds and fill in as point guard. At my age, 79, I'll break wind a couple of times and the opposing team will clear the floor if the not the stadium. We will have to make sure the UConn team wear their masks. Just make sure that they have EMT standing by to move immediately as I need to have a valve replacement.
I'm all for this, but can you you do a Fast Break, with that supersonic wind on your tail?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At what point do they start looking at how they are practicing? Or what they are doing? Is it just bad luck? Are they being pushed too hard leading to injuries? Is it the shoes they are wearing
15204ED4-A07E-445B-8C78-64A9CF2F2140.jpeg

Reaction Score
Texas has three players out with injuries. Tennessee lost two starters from last season to injury. South Carolina's PG is day to day and the backup is lost for the season, with their PF basically taking over as PG. The injury bug is not unique to UConn.
One, two, 3 at this point of the season is probably expected. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Those of you who think that the current injury bug is unprecedented or indicating that the Team is doing something wrong, recall that in 2018 ND lost four players to ACLs--and then beat us.

"Notre Dame lost four players to torn ACLs this season. It started with All-American forward Brianna Turner, who injured her knee in last year’s NCAA tournament. Then, it was senior guard Mychael Johnson who tore her ACL in practice in October. Freshman center Mikayla Vaughn tore her ACL in practice a month later. Guard Lili Thompson’s season then ended in January when she tore her ACL in a game, leaving Notre Dame with just seven scholarship players."
You need to post this 7 more time in as many threads. You answered my question--who else has experienced this trend?? Thanks.

Reaction Score
My impression is that Georgia Tech does not play 'fast'. That type of game may be of some help to us.
Playing a half-court game is a better choice right now than our [occasionally] run amuk fast breaks.

Nika ready to go for UCLA on Saturday?

But didn't Auriemma just say recently that it was the transition game that CT was running well, and the half court needed a lot of improvement??

sun

Reaction Score
Some of these kids start playing at such a young age that perhaps it makes them more susceptible to repetitive motion injuries.
There's simply too much wear & tear on their growing bodies.
Then the problem gets magnified because they're playing at a faster and rougher pace than previous generations, and more injuries result.
Some of these kids have non-typical frames and bones that get exposed to more stresses than many average sized kids.
Some of them grow so fast I don't know how they can stay coordinated and free of injury when they're active in a sport.
Some kids bones grow too fast for their ligaments, tendons and other soft tissues which causes growing pains.
Then the way Dr.'s treat that is by limiting their activity, or immobilizing the painful joint with a cast for a time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My impression is that Georgia Tech does not play 'fast'. That type of game may be of some help to us.
Playing a half-court game is a better choice right now than our [occasionally] run amuk fast breaks.

Nika ready to go for UCLA on Saturday?
Nika is out for 3 weeks most likely.

Reaction Score
This team is getting soft w/all these injuries. Even Tiger is playing competitive golf next week, and he nearly had his leg amputated a few months ago.

Reaction Score

Paige, Nika, Aubrey, Nika with an injury held over from last year; Aubrey too with ongoing issues, leg and back. Some of these have to heal
God you never miss an opportunity to change the subject to Colorado. Nika's hurt, you say? Let's do a detailed game analysis of Colorado vs Cupcake Middle School. Super helpful and relevant.
When did Mir get well?

Reaction Score
Aubrey is not " good to go." She gave it a try and it did not work. And Muhl is probably going to be out 4-6 weeks, much like Azzi. It looks like this is going to be one of those years...We have three guards now. Mir can probably play several positions. And then...time for walk-ons from the student body? Or, as someone said, we just go big and slow. Start one guard and four in the paint area. This will be a coaching challenge. And a player challenge. We'll see it unfold tomorrow.
Eh, its certainly not an ideal situation, but we have 4 out of 5 of our starters available to play. You figure ONO/AE/DJ are a 3 player post rotation occupying 80 minutes per game. Not much different than what we saw at full strength, which each playing approximately 4 extra minutes more per game.

The issue is the guard rotation. I suspect CW, Evina, and Caroline are all about to be playing 35-37 mpg. That leaves 9-15 minutes up for grabs on the perimeter. The only viable option is Mir, who is only 5-11 and can hold her own defensively on the perimeter. You can get away with this. type of rotation for a couple of weeks.

Oddly enough, even at only 9 available players, I still see it being a challenge for Amari and Piath to get minutes. The depth chart at their position has not been affected since our last game. Thus, I don't expect to see any truly wonky lineups for more than a small stretch. ONO/AE/DJ at the same time should be very rare, and two of the 3 guards will be on the floor at all times. But who knows what surprises Geno has up his sleeves.

Reaction Score
This team is getting soft w/all these injuries. Even Tiger is playing competitive golf next week, and he nearly had his leg amputated a few months ago.

I'm sure that if these injuries happened "a few months ago", that there wouldn't be a lot of concern for the Georgia Tech game coming up.....

Reaction Score
Paige, Nika, Aubrey, Nika with an injury held over from last year; Aubrey too with ongoing issues, leg and back. Some of these have to heal

When did Mir get well?

And don't forget Paige too. CT will be in some trouble trying to replace all six of those players......

Reaction Score
Just watched replay of LSU versus Iowa State from December 2. Jailin Cherry went down with non-contact leg injury. She couldn't get up without help and was carried off the court. Her leg just buckled on a drive to the basket. Seems like I'm seeing a lot of that as I watch replays. I can't seem to find anything about the extent of Cherry's injury. I bring this up because it was another case of someone just having her leg collapse without contact.

Reaction Score
Often it is said that Liv or our other bigs cannot get in foul trouble, but now the person who absolutely cannot get in foul trouble is EW. Even if there's no foul trouble, who is available to give her a breather? I would say CW, but she has to play as many minutes as EW. In my opinion, there are no obvious other choices for playing the point. If I was the opposition, I would be full court pressing the heck out of the UConn guards. Try to gas EW and recognize that PG is an unnatural position for anyone else trying to play PG. Turnovers (already bad) could get worse.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I just don't see us trying to speed up the game...pressing all over the court...pushing the ball
up on offense. We have big troubles with turnovers as it is...I think a more conservative approach may be in store..at least for this game. Foul trouble for the 3 guards [Evina/Caroline/Christyn] is more likely in a fast-paced game. Two quick fouls on any of those 3 would not be a good sign.

High minutes for the guards leading to tired legs at the end? Perhaps...but I think there are 4 TV timeouts in each half...4 for each team in each half. You don't want Geno taking his to break up momentum when things are going well....but 8 timeouts in 20 minutes of play...maybe more if GTech takes a couple...toss in 15 minutes at halftime...and I hope our guards can stay fresh even down the stretch....uhhh...as we pull out an 8-10 point victory!

Reaction Score
Remember when all we were talking about was our incredible depth?

Reaction Score
Desperate times call for desperate measures:
Suit up Jamelle and Morgan.
:p
At least they know the system and are familiar with Geno's.......quirks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gee, who's the trainer on the team?!? I might look into getting someone else next year. Besides all these injuries, the team has looked slow and lethargic most of the year.
It's been all downhill since Rosemary Ragle left. :(

Reaction Score
Holy smokes! Well, next person up. Injuries are hitting a lot of programs this year. Just gotta push through and stay positive. Hope everyone can rest up, heal up, and get back up there when they can. Go, Huskies!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom