Next year's team | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Next year's team

Reaction Score
CW had the benefit of being the 3rd or 4th player that the defense was most concerned about. Next year she will be #1. How she and the team around her respond to that new challenge will go a long way to determining the outcome.
Perhaps one of the assistants will teach UConn how to use picks, if so CW will be unstoppable. This year they typically ran around them versus (as ND and Louisville do) as the name suggests, picking off the defender.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Back in the day it seems to me Geno gave bench role players a lot more time. They came in for a boost of energy or play and the starters got a break. I think the real break from this came in the Stewie era.

Back in the day we had better bench players.

Reaction Score
Back in the day we had better bench players.
I don't think so talent wise, I think experience wise yes. Morgan Valley couldn't have handled any of the current bench, yet she was a great contributor. Megan Gardler wasn't as talented as the current bench but she was a terrific part of our game, because she played enough to be steady and confident.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I don't think so talent wise, I think experience wise yes. Morgan Valley couldn't have handled any of the current bench, yet she was a great contributor. Megan Gardler wasn't as talented as the current bench but she was a terrific part of our game, because she played enough to be steady and confident.
My first thought was to agree they aren't as talented, but upon reflection I think It might be more that the opposing teams are now much better overall and closer to our A Team, so its much more of a talent difference between the B Team and our opponent's A teams.

That could he real story of parity. Just like the men's side, on any given night Buffalo can give our A Team fits since the overall quality of the entire field is better - why there are more upsets on the women's side now, notwithstanding the elite 8 were all top seeds.

Reaction Score
My respect to the UCONN fans here at the Boneyard, and, to the UCONN Team. Wasn't sure if I had the fortitude to post this on your site, but I don't see what many of you are seeing in next year's UCONN Team. On the national level, I think UCONN will struggle to be a TOP 10 team next year........... I can't see how this team competes as UCONN has in the past, unless, the overall play of the other teams across the country diminishes significantly. Next year will be a rebuilding year for UCONN. ...... I wish UCONN well, and here is to UCONN proving me dead wrong in 2019-2020 season.

Forgive my editing of your reply: I don't see very many strong teams next year, excepting Baylor, Oregon and possibly Oregon State, that are clearly better than UCONN. Barring injury, they should easily be in the top ten and probably in the top six. When I look at the overall WBB scene next year, I just don't see more than 3 or 4 teams that will be bringing more to the table than UCONN.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Geno has something up his sleeve. I dont believe Geno will go into next season with this roster. I believe there will be additions, who, from where, I dont know. We've seen this before with Butler Stevens, and Hunter.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The final four??? They have nine players next year, three of whom he refused to play this year. There will be negative firsts next year. It is interesting the eastern regionals are not in the northeast for the first time in a long time. I would be surprised if the first two rounds are held in Gampel because they will not be deserving.
Where are the regionals scheduled for? How many places in the East can they be?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The regional finals next year are in Fort Wayne IN, Greenville SC, Dallas, Portland OR.
The opening rounds are at the top 16 seeds, as determined on selection Monday.
Fort Wayne in the East?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I know what he is allowed. You lighten up. That was my opinion. My name is not Francis.
image.jpg

Reaction Score
A few of us lament on the lack of size this year, and ONO did her best to fix that, she didn't.

We too lamented on the apparent lack of any sizeable talented recruits for next year and beyond, that too hasn't happened. Gloom and doom it was called. Facts and honesty we believed. Nothing has happened to date to change that opinion.
If there are tall, beyond 6 ft 2, with talent and Div one experience willing and signed by Uconn I haven't heard of them. Have you? Who replaces the rebounding of Gabby/Collier? Who replace the Fire power of KLS? Questions, so far without answers.

Reaction Score
Missing the bunnies is the most frustrating thing because you know if those go in, you win. But, these are humans, and not robots, playing the game.
And to think last summer Collier was called "The Robot" because she made the same move with th same results --scoring.

Reaction Score
Why would we tank? CW is going to be the best player in country next season (Sabrina isn’t coming back). Crystal will be the best PG. ONO will get stronger and MW will finally get show people why she was the #1 player coming out of HS. Oh and Geno will be to finally figure out to use Coombs and Tooly. Those other teams will tank. Every top 10 team in the country is losing important pieces too especially Norte Dame.
Flash---Sabrina isn't leaving!!

Reaction Score
This team got as far as the team did the kast two years with Williams and Nurse. I think our new Williams has that will to win. The problem this team suffered from compared to our past great teams was a problem finishing strong. It was glaring in the tournament. In hindsight, maybe GA should’ve called time out when they got up 9 and made sure they kept theiir focus.

Obviously what next year’s team needs to be an end of the year force is a good shooter who can handle (Griffin?) but even more, an inside presence with height and muscle. That would leave Walker at the 3 as a defender instead of being back in her role this year.i have no idea what to make of Coombs. We’ve had other players who he used because of defensive skills who werent big scorers, notably Fariis.

If they lose a league, game maybe. They will still have 2 National hs POY, the best pg in her hs class, a young center who obviously needs to make the strides you mentioned but was impacting games already, and one incoming McD AA. If they can manage to get a couple of grad transfers with the skills they are missing and/or another Fr or two maybe the Europeans who have some maturity to their game, I wouldn’t be all that pessimistic. They will be a lot better than 99% of the opposition.
Maybe When up by 9 Geno should have called timeout--and put ONO in the game. When she came out ND ran rampant under the boards. A bad move taking out ONO.
Uconn won't lose any AAC games next year! Some may be closer than in time past, but no losses.
I beg to differ on Faris's defensive skills--Diggy Baby ran away with her on Defense, then to return the favor Diggy stuffed Faris a few times. Defense means you slow down the offense player, not give her free reign. Coombs, would do better and has. I'm not a big Faris fan.

Reaction Score
CW had the benefit of being the 3rd or 4th player that the defense was most concerned about. Next year she will be #1. How she and the team around her respond to that new challenge will go a long way to determining the outcome.
I totally agree. Next year will surely begin to define what can be expected from CW. Being the top rated player
in your class does not always translate to maintaining that position at the next level. Nor does a good showing in the McDonalds game. As I remember the top-rated player of that class changed multiple times as the season progressed. To reasonable people, the jury is still out on many of the players in that freshman class. I would agree with LoTrader that proclaiming CW will be an AA next season is quite a reach. A perspective probably based on the belief that Uconn always has potential but hidden All Americans who emerge once the previous class of AA graduates.

As to how Uconn will match up in comparison with other teams? Even considering that the WCBB strength level might not be as strong next season, it still does not take into consideration the variable factors that usually pop up each season. For example, transfers, players getting better, etc. We can evaluate teams we are familiar with in respect to the mitigating circumstances of this last season, but not with those we barely know. Also when it comes to foreign recruits we basically know very little, unlike homegrown US high school players. While a lot of teams will actually be weakened via unforeseen circumstances, many will also be stronger and better than expected. My take is that beyond a few of the teams at the top the remainder are a big question mark.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom