Next year's team | The Boneyard

Next year's team

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed watching this year's team. It had great chemistry. Sure, if Stevens snd Espinoza-Hunter had stayed, it would have been a cake walk to national championship but it is what it is. Dangerfield will be even better next year and Walker and Williams will be strong players. Hopefully, ONO will gain some muscle, keep her arms up and learn to shoot free throws. As good as Pheesa was this year, the biggest problem will be replacing Lou, not just her shooting but her passing, decision making, and leadership. The team to beat next year is Mississippi State, and possibly Stanford, while Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville, and Oregon, if their star goes pro, will have problems. UConn will benefit from playing tough games at home. But a big thank you goes to this year's team. You did us proud.

Reaction Score
Losing the seniors will be tough, but we should still be in the top ten.

Reaction Score
Next year Baylor and Oregon( Ionescu if she returns) will be the teams to beat. I think UCONN could make the final four again if CW becomes the player we all think she can be ( dominant), Ono gets stronger and becomes a force, Meg needs to be a consistent and the fifth starter is able to make a meaningful contribution.

Reaction Score
I have become a doomsday believer due to the devastating losses in the last three Tournaments. As of this morning, there is no way that next year's team will compare to this team's chances to win #12. I am predicting the following:
Our home game win streak will end
Our 0 losses in the AAC will end
Our streak of no losses to an unranked team will end
Our streak of being in the Top 10 during the season will end
We will be hard pressed to get a 4 seed in the Tournament
Our streak of Elite 8s will end
Crystal will have to shoot the lights out most every game in order to become an AA
The win totals between Tara and Geno will widen

Basically all the things that Geno had predicated could happen during the last 3 seasons will, in fact, come true next season.
Also, I think some of this season's top teams will also have worse teams next year unless they get transfers with the ND "immediate eligibility" waiver (yes, I am guessing that ND will get another one or three transfers).

I really, really hate posting this but I don't think that we have a Gabby and Kia type players on the current roster that will step up like the team did after we lost the Big 3, even though we are only losing the "Greatest 2".

Please Huskies, prove me wrong!!!!!!!!

Signed - another Pessimist :(

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have become a doomsday believer due to the devastating losses in the last three Tournaments. As of this morning, there is no way that next year's team will compare to this team's chances to win #12. I am predicting the following:
Crystal will have to shoot the lights out most every game in order to become an AA

Basically all the things that Geno had predicated could happen during the last 3 seasons will, in fact, come true next season.
Also, I think some of this season's top teams will also have worse teams next year unless they get transfers with the ND "immediate eligibility" waiver (yes, I am guessing that ND will get another one or three transfers).

I really, really hate posting this but I don't think that we have a Gabby and Kia type players on the current roster that will step up like the team did after we lost the Big 3, even though we are only losing the "Greatest 2".

This team got as far as the team did the kast two years with Williams and Nurse. I think our new Williams has that will to win. The problem this team suffered from compared to our past great teams was a problem finishing strong. It was glaring in the tournament. In hindsight, maybe GA should’ve called time out when they got up 9 and made sure they kept theiir focus.

Obviously what next year’s team needs to be an end of the year force is a good shooter who can handle (Griffin?) but even more, an inside presence with height and muscle. That would leave Walker at the 3 as a defender instead of being back in her role this year.i have no idea what to make of Coombs. We’ve had other players who he used because of defensive skills who werent big scorers, notably Fariis.

If they lose a league, game maybe. They will still have 2 National hs POY, the best pg in her hs class, a young center who obviously needs to make the strides you mentioned but was impacting games already, and one incoming McD AA. If they can manage to get a couple of grad transfers with the skills they are missing and/or another Fr or two maybe the Europeans who have some maturity to their game, I wouldn’t be all that pessimistic. They will be a lot better than 99% of the opposition.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to next season because women college basketball has elevated. The landscape of perennials could change a lot over the next couple of years based off recruiting and great coaching. IMO I think the field is wide open next year and we might see a revolving door of number one team each week..

It will be nerve wrecking but exciting as we (UCONN), hit the reset button and open a whole new Chapter of legacies with this current group. No returning or joining player, will have been part of a Finals game or won a championship. So the drive and Journey will be a lot different. I'm excited to see how Geno, reinvents this team without a pure shooter and a go getter like Pheesa. I think them learning how to win will go further than just blowing teams out because we're so superior in talent.
I would like to see Mikayla get a chance to show her stuff. I really felt she could have given us at least 3 to 5 minutes of quality defense in big games this year. I felt she could have subbed for Crystal to help save her legs late in games.
Meg, CW and ONO. I can't wait to see how they step up next season as they will be counted on more.
So many unknowns has made me excited for next year. Lets Go Huskies!!!

Teams to beat
Baylor, Maryland. Everybody else is in the same boat as us.

Reaction Score

Some of those things you mentioned aren't bad. Losing games makes it easier to coach a kid. When you win all the time its harder to reach players. You can build character through losses. Looking at ND building character after loss to UCONN early in the season. UCONN built character after losing to Louisville. Losing in AAC could be good for everybody

Reaction Score
Next year Baylor and Oregon( Ionescu if she returns) will be the teams to beat. I think UCONN could make the final four again if CW becomes the player we all think she can be ( dominant), Ono gets stronger and becomes a force, Meg needs to be a consistent and the fifth starter is able to make a meaningful contribution.
The final four??? They have nine players next year, three of whom he refused to play this year. There will be negative firsts next year. It is interesting the eastern regionals are not in the northeast for the first time in a long time. I would be surprised if the first two rounds are held in Gampel because they will not be deserving.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed watching this year's team. It had great chemistry. Sure, if Stevens snd Espinoza-Hunter had stayed, it would have been a cake walk to national championship but it is what it is. Dangerfield will be even better next year and Walker and Williams will be strong players. Hopefully, ONO will gain some muscle, keep her arms up and learn to shoot free throws. As good as Pheesa was this year, the biggest problem will be replacing Lou, not just her shooting but her passing, decision making, and leadership. The team to beat next year is Mississippi State, and possibly Stanford, while Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville, and Oregon, if their star goes pro, will have problems. UConn will benefit from playing tough games at home. But a big thank you goes to this year's team. You did us proud.
Really good posting! ONO, is doing pretty good with out muscles bulging. Anyone that thinks she isn't a defensive and Offensive in the making is not seeing the REAL ONO. Some fouls she is called for are like Stewie as Frosh/Soph--refs think: she can't do that without fouling, but she can and does. Yet she took Shepherd out of the game and for many minutes contained both Turner and Jessica, hey, she's a freshman??? Remember 6 ft 5 in Butler? Bigger, wider, Taller than ONO. As a senior (Red shirt Jr) she wasn't as capable as ONO is as a frosh or with as much court awareness. Steph is my example of a near project that excelled in all phases of her game, neither Butler or ONO are/were Steph let us wait and see how ONO turns out. For my money; I'll take ONO over Stevens every day any day. ONO isn't a one trick pony.

Reaction Score
Really good posting! ONO, is doing pretty good with out muscles bulging. Anyone that thinks she isn't a defensive and Offensive in the making is not seeing the REAL ONO. Some fouls she is called for are like Stewie as Frosh/Soph--refs think: she can't do that without fouling, but she can and does. Yet she took Shepherd out of the game and for many minutes contained both Turner and Jessica, hey, she's a freshman??? Remember 6 ft 5 in Butler? Bigger, wider, Taller than ONO. As a senior (Red shirt Jr) she wasn't as capable as ONO is as a frosh or with as much court awareness. Steph is my example of a near project that excelled in all phases of her game, neither Butler or ONO are/were Steph let us wait and see how ONO turns out. For my money; I'll take ONO over Stevens every day any day. ONO isn't a one trick pony.
Great Post and I agree!

Reaction Score
This team got as far as the team did the kast two years with Williams and Nurse. I think our new Williams has that will to win. The problem this team suffered from compared to our past great teams was a problem finishing strong. It was glaring in the tournament. In hindsight, maybe GA should’ve called time out when they got up 9 and made sure they kept theiir focus.

Obviously what next year’s team needs to be an end of the year force is a good shooter who can handle (Griffin?) but even more, an inside presence with height and muscle. That would leave Walker at the 3 as a defender instead of being back in her role this year.i have no idea what to make of Coombs. We’ve had other players who he used because of defensive skills who werent big scorers, notably Fariis.

If they lose a league, game maybe. They will still have 2 National hs POY, the best pg in her hs class, a young center who obviously needs to make the strides you mentioned but was impacting games already, and one incoming McD AA. If they can manage to get a couple of grad transfers with the skills they are missing and/or another Fr or two maybe the Europeans who have some maturity to their game, I wouldn’t be all that pessimistic. They will be a lot better than 99% of the opposition.
I am pretty sure that you are aware that in my post, my "predictions" are based on the returning members of the current team and the addition of the only committed freshman.

Reaction Score
I will be rooting hard for our huskies next year. I really do think they will surprise. We will not be the team to beat but we will be competitive. I really love the way our underclassman played in the biggest stage last night. I’m hopeful Aubrey will bring great defense and mikayla can improve. Our defense and rebounding was what held us back

Reaction Score
Why Mississippi State? They lose McCowan, Howard and Danberry.
Who knows how Miss St will do next year but since they successfully replaced 4 starters this year you have to respect their chances next as well.

Reaction Score
Why would Baylor have problems? We have everyone coming back except Kalani and Chloe! Plus we get a good guard in Jordyn Oliver! Baylor should be the heavy favorites next year with Oregon!

Reaction Score
Why would Baylor have problems? We have everyone coming back except Kalani and Chloe! Plus we get a good guard in Jordyn Oliver! Baylor should be the heavy favorites next year with Oregon!
I mentioned in one of the other threads that you guys are going to look like the 2015-16 Huskies next season. No one is going to be close in my opinion. Coach Mulkey has recruited a great group. Could see you winning tomorrow, and next year as well, but I am predicting ND pulling off the win tomorrow night (sorry!).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Losing SUCKS!!!! As soon as the game ended, I turned the channel. I don't need to see Notre Dame celebrating another victory over UConn. I won't look at any highlights or replays .

We missed a lot of bunnies and 3 free throws that would have made the difference. ND was 14-16 from the line, UConn was 6-9. That's 5 points right there. We had a 9 point lead in the 4th quarter that we couldn't hold.

Two freshmen figured prominently in this year's run for the championship. We stepped in that same gopher hole last year, game 5 of the tournament. ND hit shots and made plays late in the game when they needed to, we didn't. Our girls did the best they could. They weren't trying to lose, the other team (on that night) simply played better.

Geno and his team had to play the hand they were dealt, after losing Espinosa-Hunter and Stevens. I hope this is the last time ND knocks us out of the tournament. I hope Baylor wins BIG Sunday, so that ND can feel the same agony of defeat UConn Nation is feeling right now. Misery loves company.

I'm done with this season and commenting on it. I can’t extract any more joy or pleasure from this season. I'm looking forward to next season, and what lies ahead for the program going FORWARD. It's on to the next NLI signing period (final day is May 20). Let's see who else Geno and staff can recruit for next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Hope you are correct but I believe you should replace Mississippi State with South Carolina or Texas A&M. I think MSST will be good but not great next year, we just will not have that mega star next year. We do have a great freshman class, not just Rickea, coming in but I do not expect they can makes good into great!

Reaction Score
Brown gone.

Reaction Score
Why would we tank? CW is going to be the best player in country next season (Sabrina isn’t coming back). Crystal will be the best PG. ONO will get stronger and MW will finally get show people why she was the #1 player coming out of HS. Oh and Geno will be to finally figure out to use Coombs and Tooly. Those other teams will tank. Every top 10 team in the country is losing important pieces too especially Norte Dame.

Reaction Score
Losing SUCKS!!!! As soon as the game ended, I turned the channel. I don't need to see Notre Dame celebrating another victory over UConn. I won't look at any highlights or replays .

We missed a lot of bunnies and 3 free throws that would have made the difference. ND was 14-16 from the line, UConn was 6-9. That's 5 points right there. We had a 9 point lead that we couldn't hold. Two freshmen figured prominently in this year's run for the championship. We hit that same barrier in the road we hit last year, game 5 of the tournament. ND hit shots and made plays when they needed to, we didn't. Our girls did the best they could. They weren't trying to lose, the other team (on that night) was better them. Geno had to play the hand he was dealt. I hope this is the last time ND knocks us out of the tournament. I hope Baylor wins BIG Sunday, so that ND can feel the agony of defeat to end the season.

I'm done with this season, now I'm looking forward to next season, and what lies ahead for the program going FORWARD.
Missing the bunnies is the most frustrating thing because you know if those go in, you win. But, these are humans, and not robots, playing the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom