Next year's team | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Next year's team

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If there was one bug benefit to Stevens leaving it was the door it left open for others to gain experience that will allow them to hit the floor running next year. Maybe the chances winning an NC this year would’ve improved. But either Walker or Williams would likely seen a lot less floor time. One of them would not have started. Probably Williams. And ONO would probably have had less floor time. A core four of ONO, Dangerfielf, Walker and Williams should beat most opponents. Obviously the last spot and hopefully a couple of reserves Geno isn’t hesitant to play are holes that need to be filled.

It’s interedting that GA pushes players out of their comfort zone. He rarely leaves that zone when it comes to his bench. He either trusts or he doesn’t and his:starters play big minutes. Maybe that’s why they faded at the end of many games, noticeably in the tournament. Coombs at least couldn’t geld the fort defensively for some minutes here and there. Next year?

Reaction Score
I would really like to see Geno experiment with more aggressive subbing early in the year to instill confidence and provide experience to the bench. Not wholesale substitution, but one or two at a time with the starters. He may just have to deal with the uncomfortable feeling of providing that experience in games versus practice.

Reaction Score
Lots of pessimism on this thread. Next year has been a concern for most of this year. One positive, however, is the backcourt. "They" have always said that college basketball is a guard's game. Right now, I see a starting backcourt next year that will probably be the best in the country. That's a start.
It used to be a guard's game. Notre Dame, Baylor and Miss St. are changing the rules. Guards will always be key, but having 5 of them is no longer a formula for success. Recruiting Olivia is a step in the right direction. But it will take another season before she reaches "impactful" and reliable status. Uconn fell off in recruiting success....not due to the people from UCONN doing the work....I just think a lot of great players found homes that better suited them. And those homes were places like Stanford, Miss. st., Baylor, ND, Oregon, etc. No longer is UCONN the only sanctuary of excellence in the game. So, we have to get lucky and hope many future stars carry the UCONN dream. But no longer is it true that all of them will. And landing only one recruit in next year's class will not cut it.

Reaction Score
If there was one bug benefit to Stevens leaving it was the door it left open for others to gain experience that will allow them to hit the floor running next year. Maybe the chances winning an NC this year would’ve improved. But either Walker or Williams would likely seen a lot less floor time. One of them would not have started. Probably Williams. And ONO would probably have had less floor time. A core four of ONO, Dangerfielf, Walker and Williams should beat most opponents. Obviously the last spot and hopefully a couple of reserves Geno isn’t hesitant to play are holes that need to be filled.

It’s interedting that GA pushes players out of their comfort zone. He rarely leaves that zone when it comes to his bench. He either trusts or he doesn’t and his:starters play big minutes. Maybe that’s why they faded at the end of many games, noticeably in the tournament. Coombs at least couldn’t geld the fort defensively for some minutes here and there. Next year?
Not convinced the kids were gassed. There are a lot of long tv timeouts in the tournament. Just hit a team that didn’t miss much in the 4th Q. Tried too hard to make shots to make up for it instead of playing normally.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Mikayla doesn't have to be an offensive dynamo, the playing time she gets now is based on her defense. Just being offensively adequate (hitting the short open shot) would give her significantly more playing time, IMHO.

She's a great defensive player, but unfortunately she won't see long stretches of playing time. She'd have to greatly improve her outside shooting to get there, because we can't afford to play 5 on 4 against the defenses of other teams, particularly in the OOC schedule.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not convinced the kids were gassed. There are a lot of long tv timeouts in the tournament. Just hit a team that didn’t miss much in the 4th Q. Tried too hard to make shots to make up for it instead of playing normally.
Auto correct needs remediation. Whether gassed or not, many of the games at the end of the year had them losing steam. But Geno definitely doesn’t trust his bench readily. We’ll never know if using Coombs 4-5 minutes a half to give the other kids a breather would have helped. But as usually for tge last 25 years, our disappointing endings are everyone else’s great year. I think next year will e okay and could even be great with another one ore two recruits who can contribute.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She's a great defensive player, but unfortunately she won't see long stretches of playing time. She'd have to greatly improve her outside shooting to get there, because we can't afford to play 5 on 4 against the defenses of other teams, particularly in the OOC schedule.
That did not seem to be a problem when they had Faris, not the first three years.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
That did not seem to be a problem when they had Faris, not the first three years.

Kelly was a far better offensive player throughout her career at UCONN than Coombs has been, so far. The mere fact that Kelly could shoot threes meant you had to guard her. Coombs can be totally ignored by the D beyond 5-10 ft. from the basket.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Kelly was a far better offensive player throughout her career at UCONN than Coombs has been, so far. The mere fact that Kelly could shoot threes meant you had to guard her. Coombs can be totally ignored by the D beyond 5-10 ft. from the basket.
Not her first three seasons. Other teams did not guard her when she was on the perimeter. Only her senior season was she good from outside.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Not her first three seasons. Other teams did not guard her when she was on the perimeter. Only her senior season was she good from outside.

Really? Kelly made 17, 30, 23, and 49 threes during her four year UCONN career, finishing close to 33 percent from behind the arc. That equates to a 50 percent scoring clip from two point range. That's certainly respectable. Her worst three point percentage was 27 percent as a freshman. She shot 30 percent or better for each of her last three seasons. She's a member of the 1,000 point club, with 1,109 total points for her UCONN career, which is more than respectable, and it's not like she only scored those point during her senior season. She averaged 4.1, 7.8, 6.7 and 10.2 ppg respectively.

Any opposing coach that told their players to ignore Kelly from the perimeter during any of her four years at UCONN would have been crazy, and a lousy BB coach. You don't ignore a player who hits one of three shots from behind the arc. At 25 percent or less, maybe.

Reaction Score
I think we all need to wake up. Next year’s team, as presently constructed is not close to the quality of the team that just lost to ND.

1. Katy Lou was an exceptional leader, player and scorer. A tough 6’3” presence and a complete player. No one on the roster is close.

2. Pheesa was a superb player, capable of taking over most games. And with her wing span and athleticism, double doubles were routine. Who on the current roster is the talent that she is?

3. Dangerfield will remain one of the best point guards in the country. But not the best. That won’t change.

4. Walker is becoming a reliable presence, and is fully capable of becoming a star. But she has not reached the level of distinction that a high school player of the year typically attains by the end of her second year.

5. The new recruit from Ossining HS, and so far the only one, looks like a fine player, but she brings nowhere near the accolades that Walker and Williams brought to UCONN. How can she be expected to start?

6. Williams had a very fine freshman season. Too much was probably expected of her. But she bubbles with upside potential. For UConn to be great next season, she has to return as a consistent, reliable, dominating superstar. A lot to ask of a sophomore.

7. Olivia probably did about what coach expected. She got better, but didn’t make a difference. We all hope and believe she will become dominant, but have little basis for our opinion. She really never did much.

8. The only bench player with any future is likely Mykala. She may become a substitute guard who can handle the ball, defend, and drive to the hoop. But do not expect her to morph into an all around player, and an offensive scoring machine.

9. Kyla and Molly are phenomenal teammates. Batouly has shown little and I’m surprised she still wants to play at this level.

But unless Geno finds some future all Americans, with size , speed, and athleticism in Latvia, we are fielding a substantially diminished team next season. It is just the way things worked out. Everyone is doing the best they can.
Agree with you on Samuelson (the hardest to replace) , Collier and Dangerfield. I see more of an upside with Walker and Williams. ONO can be a presence but it take another year. If--and it's a big if--Aubrey comes through we'll turn frowns into smiles.

Reaction Score
This game is a game of height. Baylor had two monsters in Cox and Brown. Oregon started two kids 6'4" and over. ND had two talented bigs. That's what it takes.

And look at the championships we won with Breanna: she had Kiah Stokes swatting shots like mad, and a tremendous power forward in Morgan Tuck to help her under the boards. We just didn't have that this year, and we won't next year either.

Yes, there's ONO. But she needs help under the boards which guards just can't supply. Look what Baylor did to UConn in their one match-up: 54 points in the paint!

It's not magic. Our kids will compete next year, but we don't have the overall talent to reach the mountain top next year. Let's be honest..

Reaction Score
I have become a doomsday believer due to the devastating losses in the last three Tournaments. As of this morning, there is no way that next year's team will compare to this team's chances to win #12. I am predicting the following:
Our home game win streak will end
Our 0 losses in the AAC will end
Our streak of no losses to an unranked team will end
Our streak of being in the Top 10 during the season will end
We will be hard pressed to get a 4 seed in the Tournament
Our streak of Elite 8s will end
Crystal will have to shoot the lights out most every game in order to become an AA
The win totals between Tara and Geno will widen

Basically all the things that Geno had predicated could happen during the last 3 seasons will, in fact, come true next season.
Also, I think some of this season's top teams will also have worse teams next year unless they get transfers with the ND "immediate eligibility" waiver (yes, I am guessing that ND will get another one or three transfers).

I really, really hate posting this but I don't think that we have a Gabby and Kia type players on the current roster that will step up like the team did after we lost the Big 3, even though we are only losing the "Greatest 2".

Please Huskies, prove me wrong!!!!!!!!

Signed - another Pessimist :(
You need a drink.

Reaction Score
Let’s wait to see if Geno can get any other players to come in next year. You never know. Look at how transfers are impacting teams these days.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Let’s wait to see if Geno can get any other players to come in next year. You never know. Look at how transfers are impacting teams these days.
Transfers whose coaches allowed them to play.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This game is a game of height. Baylor had two monsters in Cox and Brown. Oregon started two kids 6'4" and over. ND had two talented bigs. That's what it takes.

And look at the championships we won with Breanna: she had Kiah Stokes swatting shots like mad, and a tremendous power forward in Morgan Tuck to help her under the boards. We just didn't have that this year, and we won't next year either.

Yes, there's ONO. But she needs help under the boards which guards just can't supply. Look what Baylor did to UConn in their one match-up: 54 points in the paint!

It's not magic. Our kids will compete next year, but we don't have the overall talent to reach the mountain top next year. Let's be honest..
Depends on what the competition brings to the table. Most of this year’s contenders lost key pieces and in NDs case. maybe every piece. We should fall off some, but almost every year that it looks like that, somehow we are a tough out. The front court will be key. Need a few other kids, a big grad transfer with some skill woukd do.

Reaction Score
Need help from the statistics gods...

Am I imagining this or has Notre Dame been getting to the free throw line more often than - certainly us - but perhaps lots of other teams too. Happened with Baylor in the Finals. Our players don’t seem to draw as many fouls.

Reaction Score
Need help from the statistics gods...

Am I imagining this or has Notre Dame been getting to the free throw line more often than - certainly us - but perhaps lots of other teams too. Happened with Baylor in the Finals. Our players don’t seem to draw as many fouls.
I jokingly made a comment about ND making a pact with the Devil on another post, but it does seem like ND has been getting more than their share of calls the last few years. Stats do not always tell the same story that the eye test does.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I jokingly made a comment about ND making a pact with the Devil on another post, but it does seem like ND has been getting more than their share of calls the last few years. Stats do not always tell the same story that the eye test does.

My eyes tell me that ND players, especially guards have, for several years, mastered four offensive maneuvers that give them either illegal advantage or send them to the foul line:
The arm bar and push-off while dribbling
The sideways leap into the vertical space of the defender to draw a foul call
The flop, which has become so blatant that refs are no longer quite so easily buying into it
The moving screen
Now, to be honest, ND does not own the patent or eexclusive rights to those strategies, but they seem to count on them as a significant part of their offensive production. Maddening at times!

Reaction Score
Notre Dame had 805 FT attempts in 38 games...UConn had 668 in 38 games...

The Irish's style of play must have led to many foul calls since they were #1 in FT attempts.

Miss. State was right behind them with 803 in 36 games..

Reaction Score
Next year is next year. We'll see what happens. Certainly not going to lose sleep over it or wail and gnash my teeth over it for the next six months.

Reaction Score

You might be mistaken about fatigue and/on the body. It's accumulative; it is not: well, stop for 5-minutes so the body can re-calibrate to zero fatigue (think in terms of sleep ... And it doesn't mean that a player cannot go in overdrive a score 30-points, then collapsed 2-days later and die. And the risks for injuries are well documented.)

Reaction Score
not with the roster they have now. They must add two posts to be competitive. As well as ONO getting much stronger. They were thin this year, barring transfers they will be thinner next year.
A healthy Batouly will go a long way toward that. I really think that, if she were healthy, she would have made a difference against ND

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You are over stating your point. Kelly was never one that teams guarded; yes, she got better-- or, took shots towards the end. But seriously ... All themes are going to forced one or more players on a team to beat them. This will be the case with Coombs or even MW. I'm not a bb genius but the problem for Coombs this year is not her outside (or even inside) shooting, it is that the Uconn offfense was not equipped to handle a penetrating guard dumping the ball to post players. See Baylor, MSU and others with bigs. As a result, she created for players not there and if they were, very little could be done. Jefferson had Tuck, Steward, Kia, etc. That isn't a part of Dangerfield's game. Whenever she goes to the basket it is to score a layup, or it's a broken play. There are very few D1 basketball players who cannot become better shooters after a summer of intensive training. I would be surprise if she isn't light years away from what we saw this year. As for the fellow non-starters, I doubt that all players are recruited with the intent of them ever being starters. A lot of schools carry players who will never enter a game. Yet, they have an important role on the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom