Next year's team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next year's team

Reaction Score
Hope you are correct but I believe you should replace Mississippi State with South Carolina or Texas A&M. I think MSST will be good but not great next year, we just will not have that mega star next year. We do have a great freshman class, not just Rickea, coming in but I do not expect they can makes good into great!
I put Miss State in there because they show a remarkable ability to reload. Sort of like UConn...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that you are aware that in my post, my "predictions" are based on the returning members of the current team and the addition of the only committed freshman.

I’m pretty sure you were undervaluing the quality of the returning players. It’s no gimme that they will lose a league game. But it’s pretty preposterous to think they will never lose a league game. We all know what the holes are. But the X factor is ONO.

Reaction Score
Why would we tank? CW is going to be the best player in country next season (Sabrina isn’t coming back). Crystal will be the best PG. ONO will get stronger and MW will finally get show people why she was the #1 player coming out of HS. Oh and Geno will be to finally figure out to use Coombs and Tooly. Those other teams will tank. Every top 10 team in the country is losing important pieces too especially Norte Dame.
Finally an up beat post - The " Sky Is Falling" posters will be pleasantly surprised next year

Reaction Score
I mentioned in one of the other threads that you guys are going to look like the 2015-16 Huskies next season. No one is going to be close in my opinion. Coach Mulkey has recruited a great group. Could see you winning tomorrow, and next year as well, but I am predicting ND pulling off the win tomorrow night (sorry!).
It’s all good! I would love to win and get a championship before Notre Dame and Muffet McGraw

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The final four??? They have nine players next year, three of whom he refused to play this year. There will be negative firsts next year. It is interesting the eastern regionals are not in the northeast for the first time in a long time. I would be surprised if the first two rounds are held in Gampel because they will not be deserving.

Amazing. Let’s see how the year plays out before deciding who is deserving. ND loses a load of talent. Louisville loses the reason they got as far as they did. Baylor loses a difference maker as does MSU. Maybe they don’t deserve home court.

Reaction Score
Amazing. Let’s see how the year plays out before deciding who is deserving. ND loses a load of talent. Louisville loses the reason they got as far as they did. Baylor loses a difference maker as does MSU. Maybe they don’t deserve home court.
Baylor loses a lot in Kalani but we have so much coming back too! Baylor’s team this year was more than Kalani! I feel cox was more important to the teams success this year than Kalani

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm keeping hope alive for a VG guard from Europe and a solid fundamentals Big from Europe this summer.

Reaction Score
Why would we tank? CW is going to be the best player in country next season (Sabrina isn’t coming back). Crystal will be the best PG. ONO will get stronger and MW will finally get show people why she was the #1 player coming out of HS. Oh and Geno will be to finally figure out to use Coombs and Tooly. Those other teams will tank. Every top 10 team in the country is losing important pieces too especially Norte Dame.
We need a fifth starter and at least 2 off of the bench that can contribute significantly. We will not have that with the current team makeup. Mikayla would have to become an offensive dynamo just to get significant court time, Molly and Kyla will not improve significantly and who knows what Batouly is going to provide because I believe her knee is a lot worse than we know.

Reaction Score
Once Cox is done Baylor will come back to the pack.
Back to the pack is going to be E8 level on average for Baylor as long as Kim can keep recruiting like she has. That’s pretty good unless you’re UConn, and I don’t think of it as “the pack”. YMMV.

I think the synergy between Cox and Brown is being undervalued by some who think Baylor is the preseason #1 next year. But Kim kept them at E8 level between Griner leaving and the current Brown-Cox front line. I don’t see that changing, especially with Texas and OU reduced to speed bumps on Baylor’s annual road to the B12 title.

Reaction Score
Back to the pack is going to be E8 level on average for Baylor as long as Kim can keep recruiting like she has. That’s pretty good unless you’re UConn, and I don’t think of it as “the pack”. YMMV.

I think the synergy between Cox and Brown is being undervalued by some who think Baylor is the preseason #1 next year. But Kim kept them at E8 level between Griner leaving and the current Brown-Cox front line. I don’t see that changing, especially with Texas and OU reduced to speed bumps on Baylor’s annual road to the B12 title.
Great point!
Please allow me to clear up my "Back to the Pack", statement. I meant that the field would be wide open after Cox graduates. I don't see next year being to much of a fall off. Nayla Smith and Cox well bring even more intangibles than current Twin Towers. Baylor will always be in contention because they recruit well.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The final four??? They have nine players next year, three of whom he refused to play this year. There will be negative firsts next year. It is interesting the eastern regionals are not in the northeast for the first time in a long time. I would be surprised if the first two rounds are held in Gampel because they will not be deserving.

Reaction Score
Texas A&M was not a top ten team this year but next year they will be and they are bringing everybody back. They are a real threat for next year!

Reaction Score
And? Cox and company are going to be scary good next year! Smith, Egbo, and Decosta are going to be scary good the next 3 years
Everything depends on Cox. With Brown gone, Lauren will have a much more difficult time repeating her performances. But she is a great player and is capable. If others can contribute and take pressure off her, they can be very, very good.

Reaction Score
I will predict CW is all American next year and averages 20 points a game, just wait.
Based on what? CW is a very good solid player, but she is no Ionescu nor has she shown herself to be an AA level player.

Reaction Score
Back on topic. UConn will be very good again, next year. The issue for UConn is defense. UConn has never had problems putting up points. What has kept UConn from the championships is the inability to stop the other teams best player. This has been a theme ever since Jefferson left. Arike, William (Miss St), Durr, all glaring examples of UConn not having a defensive stopper, when it needed most.

The answer could be ONO. If ONO can become the defensive force inside, the team can focus on putting pressure on the perimeter and over play, knowing ONO has their back. Easier said than done, but that is one possibility. CD definitely has to improve her defensive game and make better decisions on offense. She is the key, IMO. UConn is not going away.

Reaction Score
As an outsider, I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of Dangerfield's role in next year's UConn team.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
If ONO gets on the same weight and nutrition plan that turned Crystal Dangerfield from a scrawny freshman to pure guns, we’re going to be okay.

Obviously Geno has his eye on Anna Makurat in Poland, but I’d be shocked if we didn’t end up with a grad transfer.

The sky isn’t falling unless the first day of school rolls around with Griffin as the only new face on the roster.

Reaction Score
Really good posting! ONO, is doing pretty good with out muscles bulging. Anyone that thinks she isn't a defensive and Offensive in the making is not seeing the REAL ONO. Some fouls she is called for are like Stewie as Frosh/Soph--refs think: she can't do that without fouling, but she can and does. Yet she took Shepherd out of the game and for many minutes contained both Turner and Jessica, hey, she's a freshman??? Remember 6 ft 5 in Butler? Bigger, wider, Taller than ONO. As a senior (Red shirt Jr) she wasn't as capable as ONO is as a frosh or with as much court awareness. Steph is my example of a near project that excelled in all phases of her game, neither Butler or ONO are/were Steph let us wait and see how ONO turns out. For my money; I'll take ONO over Stevens every day any day. ONO isn't a one trick pony.
Don't you wonder what ONO will be like as a senior leading UConn to national championship?
And? Cox and company are going to be scary good next year! Smith, Egbo, and Decosta are going to be scary good the next 3 years
Next year Baylor and Oregon( Ionescu if she returns) will be the teams to beat. I think UCONN could make the final four again if CW becomes the player we all think she can be ( dominant), Ono gets stronger and becomes a force, Meg needs to be a consistent and the fifth starter is able to make a meaningful contribution.
I live in PAC-12 Colorado so I watch a lot of Oregon ball thanks to PAC-12 Network. It may be toughest league top to bottom and that competition prepares them. We will know in a few hours if Ionescu returns. If she does, Oregon is team to beat. Baylor has quality players but Brown was a brute who masked obvious weaknesses that Oregon exploited. I figure Baylor to win Sunday since ND can't play defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom