Next year's team | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Next year's team

Reaction Score
This game is a game of height. Baylor had two monsters in Cox and Brown. Oregon started two kids 6'4" and over. ND had two talented bigs. That's what it takes.

And look at the championships we won with Breanna: she had Kiah Stokes swatting shots like mad, and a tremendous power forward in Morgan Tuck to help her under the boards. We just didn't have that this year, and we won't next year either.

Yes, there's ONO. But she needs help under the boards which guards just can't supply. Look what Baylor did to UConn in their one match-up: 54 points in the paint!

It's not magic. Our kids will compete next year, but we don't have the overall talent to reach the mountain top next year. Let's be honest..
Sadly, the game is turning to bigs. ONO can help at 6'4" but her skinny 6'4" doesn't compare with muscular Lauren Cox's who is a beast. If you don't have biggies you need to stock up on three pointers. Oregon nearly did it with threes. ND's biggies couldn't compete with Baylor's bigger, stronger biggies and the game might have turned into a rout had Cox not been injured.

Reaction Score
I would really like to see Geno experiment with more aggressive subbing early in the year to instill confidence and provide experience to the bench. Not wholesale substitution, but one or two at a time with the starters. He may just have to deal with the uncomfortable feeling of providing that experience in games versus practice.
Geno has a system and he sticks with it. You earn minutes on the court by what you show in practice. In fairness, Geno gave a decent amount of time on court to the bench players, but no one ever excelled. No one showed him that they could be a reliable court presence in a big game. Mikayla must have showed the most talent, but it was exclusively on defense. And she made a number of poor decisions, resulting in loss of possession. So what he learned, after all, was that the bench was not good enough to help. Next year, as of this moment, there is no bench at all. Molly, Batouly and Kyla are what they are.....average players at the AAC level. They could play for Cincinnati, Memphis or East Carolina. And still not win often. Mikalyla may have more native BB skills. But she is not a factor on offense, and ( practically speaking ) almost doesn't require covering. If that doesn't change, she is just a faster Molly and less of an offensive threat. Not good enough to matter. I assure that Geno will soon be off to Latvia or Croatia to find some international talent. Otherwise, next year's team will be fortunate to make it to the round of 16.

Reaction Score
You need a drink.
Agree with most except possibly the AAC streak. While the overall league is crawling upward, I don't have much faith in any one team's ability to do really well against UConn. Maybe CFU, depending on how they recruited and who's still on the team.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield will be good but she will not be the best point guard. One thing she needs to do is run a proper play when the clock is running out, something other than a rushed three pointer. Her decision making in crunch time needs to get better.
Wondering why Danger tailed off at end of the year. One great game with several OK ones in playoffs. Injured, tired, or whatever, we need her playing with full skills next year.

Reaction Score
Sadly, the game is turning to bigs. ONO can help at 6'4" but her skinny 6'4" doesn't compare with muscular Lauren Cox's who is a beast. If you don't have biggies you need to stock up on three pointers. Oregon nearly did it with threes. ND's biggies couldn't compete with Baylor's bigger, stronger biggies and the game might have turned into a rout had Cox not been injured.
Its been rare for some time for a team to win NCAA's without a banger (or more likely two). ONO could turn out great but her body type unlikely to ever fill out to the point where she could compete with the Cox's or Brown's of the world.

Reaction Score
Geno has a system and he sticks with it. You earn minutes on the court by what you show in practice. In fairness, Geno gave a decent amount of time on court to the bench players, but no one ever excelled. No one showed him that they could be a reliable court presence in a big game. Mikayla must have showed the most talent, but it was exclusively on defense. And she made a number of poor decisions, resulting in loss of possession. So what he learned, after all, was that the bench was not good enough to help. Next year, as of this moment, there is no bench at all. Molly, Batouly and Kyla are what they are.....average players at the AAC level. They could play for Cincinnati, Memphis or East Carolina. And still not win often. Mikalyla may have more native BB skills. But she is not a factor on offense, and ( practically speaking ) almost doesn't require covering. If that doesn't change, she is just a faster Molly and less of an offensive threat. Not good enough to matter. I assure that Geno will soon be off to Latvia or Croatia to find some international talent. Otherwise, next year's team will be fortunate to make it to the round of 16.

Seems, Geno is only comfortable with 5 alive basketball. 5 players all being a threat offensively. Im ok with that mindset, But you have to have established role players too. The Wholesale subbing is a bunch of croc. Players sitting and cheering for three straight quarters and then expected to pick up where starters left off is an unfair assessment. UCONN subs often play timid and seem unsure of what do, to please the coach. You Play well and then sit the bench the next three games. That would leave a player guessing. I've heard Geno say, "ONO is not a good practice player". So that would mean ONO only plays out of necessity verses earned minutes. How does that translate to that kid who is working her tail off to get those minutes? I just want to see a healthy mixture of starters sprinkled with a bench player thru out the game. Carve out roles and make them play above those expectations.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agree with most except possibly the AAC streak. While the overall league is crawling upward, I don't have much faith in any one team's ability to do really well against UConn. Maybe CFU, depending on how they recruited and who's still on the team.
I believe that UCF loses most or all of their starters. Kay Kay Wright, easily their best player, is a senior.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I believe that UCF loses most or all of their starters. Kay Kay Wright, easily their best player, is a senior.
This is not fully accurate. Wright is only a junior, and next year's team will once again rely heavily on her. UCF does lose several from their supporting cast, most notably Thigpen, McDonald, Paul and Shuler (that's 4 of their top 6 scorers). But also return 4 players who averaged double digit minutes, including post players Kaba and Smith.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Pretty sure ND has been there done that, many more times than UConn. Over the last decade, UConn has won its final game of the season more often than not. No other team can say that. In other words, ND is used to losing, and we're not, but we should probably get more familiar with it because it's going to happen more often going forward.

Next year is going to be real tough for ND. With Jackie Young leaving, you're losing your entire starting 5, and you don't have another Arike O. waiting in the wings to step up, and step in. :confused:

Reaction Score
No doubt the strongest backcourt, with Dangerfield and Williams. I think ONO showed a lot of improvement and a glimpse of her potential in her action in the semi-final. I think she's gonna be really good next year for you guys. I'm thinking All-AAC next year for both Williams and ONO. Those three plus Walker, who I'm sure is going to improve... You have an at least elite 8 team. Combine that with UConn's coaching staff, final four. UConn isn't my favorite team, but I am a WBB fanatic. I always tell non-WBB fans to watch UConn games to watch good basketball.

Geno is the best coach, and his staff is obviously going to be stellar. You guys will figure it out. I would be surprised if you guys didn't make the FF next year. I know many posters predict things like sweet 16 and elite 8 finishes, but I can't see that. Outsider fans like me can't see the doom and gloom for UConn. I follow so many other teams, UConn still has a lot of talent. Not the most talent, but enough to compete with the rest of the pretty even playing field that is next season.
Tend to agree, UConn may not be the best team next year but surely they will be top 10, probably top 4. ONO is the key, if she can become stronger physically then UConn has a chance to be really good. I may bleed Maroon and White but there is a part of me that loves BLUE

Reaction Score
I like next years team, especially after they play 10 games figure things out. Yes I agree CW will impress, but equally if MW can gain a half step of quickness over the summer she will be outstanding.

Reaction Score
The AAC team who really had bad breaks last season was USF. If those athletes return, and are healthy, they will be a fine team. Central Florida is on the rise, as well.

Reaction Score
Wondering why Danger tailed off at end of the year. One great game with several OK ones in playoffs. Injured, tired, or whatever, we need her playing with full skills next year.
The problem is, Dangerfield can only get a rest when the game is one-sided and into the 4th quarter. And she had Katy to help distribute the ball; and the best hands of any player I have ever seen in Pheesa. So even marginal passes were converted. Now, Williams and Walker have to step up. And, per usual, we have been extraordinarily lucky with injuries. Take a starter out for any length of time, and we just start sliding.

Reaction Score
You might be mistaken about fatigue and/on the body. It's accumulative; it is not: well, stop for 5-minutes so the body can re-calibrate to zero fatigue (think in terms of sleep ... And it doesn't mean that a player cannot go in overdrive a score 30-points, then collapsed 2-days later and die. And the risks for injuries are well documented.)
I think I know fatigue pretty well. I wake up fatigued. And it doesn’t get much better, even after 2 cups of coffee. Also not 18-21. Geno thinks they can, and I usually agree with him.

Reaction Score
Cox was the single player we didn’t get that really mattered. We’d have 7 NCs in a row if she was here.

Reaction Score
I’m totally confused by the lack of respect and confidence shown to Christyn Williams. She was the #1 HS player, and already plays like a senior. She backed off a little due the respect she had for the program and the upperclassmen, but you can be sure she’ll have a complete green light next year. I’m positive Geno will be pushing her to get her shots. I can’t imagine her NOT being an AA.
CW has a good chance to be an AA, just won't happen in her sophomore year.

Reaction Score
Seems, Geno is only comfortable with 5 alive basketball. 5 players all being a threat offensively. Im ok with that mindset, But you have to have established role players too. The Wholesale subbing is a bunch of croc. Players sitting and cheering for three straight quarters and then expected to pick up where starters left off is an unfair assessment. UCONN subs often play timid and seem unsure of what do, to please the coach. You Play well and then sit the bench the next three games. That would leave a player guessing. I've heard Geno say, "ONO is not a good practice player". So that would mean ONO only plays out of necessity verses earned minutes. How does that translate to that kid who is working her tail off to get those minutes? I just want to see a healthy mixture of starters sprinkled with a bench player thru out the game. Carve out roles and make them play above those expectations.
Back in the day it seems to me Geno gave bench role players a lot more time. They came in for a boost of energy or play and the starters got a break. I think the real break from this came in the Stewie era.

Reaction Score
My respect to the UCONN fans here at the Boneyard, and, to the UCONN Team. Wasn't sure if I had the fortitude to post this on your site, but I don't see what many of you are seeing in next year's UCONN Team. On the national level, I think UCONN will struggle to be a TOP 10 team next year. Without help from transfers, I see UCONN, at best, making the Elite 8, and more likely the Sweet 16. As far as the probable starters next year, I see Dangerfield as an experienced, solid PG, who will run the team well, and, when necessary, be a play maker. CW is a superstar in the making, and will make a significant leap next year, but not a National AA leap in her sophomore year. MW is solid, but that's it, solid. I don't see MW ever making AA status at any level. After that UCONN will have ONO & someone else, both unproven, in the starting lineup. To me, I can't see how this team competes as UCONN has in the past, unless, the overall play of the other teams across the country diminishes significantly. Next year will be a rebuilding year for UCONN. I see a year where the UCONN coaches are going to have to play significantly more players than has been the norm at UCONN. That is not a bad thing, or, a good thing. Please don't think I am down on UCONN. I have always enjoyed how UCONN Teams play and compete, and always enjoyed Geno, and his coaching. I wish UCONN well, and here is to UCONN proving me dead wrong in 2019-2020 season.

Reaction Score
Cox was the single player we didn’t get that really mattered. We’d have 7 NCs in a row if she was here.
Imagine if Elena DD stayed we’d have so many more championships. But these are all ifs

Reaction Score
My respect to the UCONN fans here at the Boneyard, and, to the UCONN Team. Wasn't sure if I had the fortitude to post this on your site, but I don't see what many of you are seeing in next year's UCONN Team. On the national level, I think UCONN will struggle to be a TOP 10 team next year. Without help from transfers, I see UCONN, at best, making the Elite 8, and more likely the Sweet 16. As far as the probable starters next year, I see Dangerfield as an experienced, solid PG, who will run the team well, and, when necessary, be a play maker. CW is a superstar in the making, and will make a significant leap next year, but not a National AA leap in her sophomore year. MW is solid, but that's it, solid. I don't see MW ever making AA status at any level. After that UCONN will have ONO & someone else, both unproven, in the starting lineup. To me, I can't see how this team competes as UCONN has in the past, unless, the overall play of the other teams across the country diminishes significantly. Next year will be a rebuilding year for UCONN. I see a year where the UCONN coaches are going to have to play significantly more players than has been the norm at UCONN. That is not a bad thing, or, a good thing. Please don't think I am down on UCONN. I have always enjoyed how UCONN Teams play and compete, and always enjoyed Geno, and his coaching. I wish UCONN well, and here is to UCONN proving me dead wrong in 2019-2020 season.
OMG I SOOOO wish UConn was playing Oregon State next year!

Reaction Score
Lou was an AA her sophomore year. And she was more one-dimensional than CW. I think CW will prove you wrong. I think ONO will also have a big jump, and if she drops a few bad habits, could be very, very good. I think CD has some unfinished business, as does Meg. Not sure who starter #5 will be, but I’m leaning to the incoming freshman. I think she’ll fit in like CW did this year. Hoping we get another player of 2, but pickings may be slim, and Geno won’t take just anyone.

Reaction Score
You and I agree. I would love to see OSU vs UCONN. Perhaps we'll see it come to pass when UCONN plays in the NCAA Portland Regional next season.
Well that’s quite possible since there are no Storrs-drivable regional sites next year. Here’s hoping!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is not fully accurate. Wright is only a junior, and next year's team will once again rely heavily on her. UCF does lose several from their supporting cast, most notably Thigpen, McDonald, Paul and Shuler (that's 4 of their top 6 scorers). But also return 4 players who averaged double digit minutes, including post players Kaba and Smith.
Thanks for the correction. I misremembered from the AAC tourney program. Kay Kay does come back, but the roster includes SEVEN seniors.

Reaction Score
I’m totally confused by the lack of respect and confidence shown to Christyn Williams. She was the #1 HS player, and already plays like a senior. She backed off a little due the respect she had for the program and the upperclassmen, but you can be sure she’ll have a complete green light next year. I’m positive Geno will be pushing her to get her shots. I can’t imagine her NOT being an AA.

CW had the benefit of being the 3rd or 4th player that the defense was most concerned about. Next year she will be #1. How she and the team around her respond to that new challenge will go a long way to determining the outcome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom