Newton is coming back! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Newton is coming back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If lucky enough to get Spencer.. How would you fill last roster opening if necessary? Best available athlete or by positional need? ie.. A backup Big?? Another wing??
Give it to a walk-on

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score

So does this confirm AJ is not coming back. I have not seen an announcement. But it seems like all the evidence is pointing to him not coming back. Good for him if that is what is happening. With that in mind we need to pick up some experience, a shooter or another big in case Samson and the new big have issues next year.

Reaction Score
The game against UNC at MSG will be hilarious. Our 2 PG's are 6'7" and 6'6". UNC's RJ Davis is 6' and Cadeau is 6'2". Good luck to them...
Like my football coach use to say
“It’s not the size of the dog in the fight it’s the size of the fight in the dog “‘
How quickly you forget 2014
Bazz 6’0 in sneakers
RB 5’10” in sneakers
They literally devoured big guards .

Reaction Score
This is huge news and hearing it early gave me a huge boost for my day of calls out on the pavement. Had some pep in the old mans step and delivered a ton of value to my customer base, I'd say I landed a triple/double Newton style!! LOL love this news!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So does this confirm AJ is not coming back. I have not seen an announcement. But it seems like all the evidence is pointing to him not coming back. Good for him if that is what is happening. With that in mind we need to pick up some experience, a shooter or another big in case Samson and the new big have issues next year.
Maybe, but also could just mean coach asked him to try and lead more with Hawkins and Sanogo gone. He’s notoriously soft spoken.

Reaction Score
Newton < Newton
Hawkins
> Spencer
Jackson > Castle
Karaban < Karaban
Sanogo = Clingan

Clingan > Johnson
Alleyne > Ross/Stewart
Calcaterra > Ball
Diarra < Diarra
upgrades at 3 spots (improvement from Newton, Karaban, and Diarra)
break even at 3 spots (Castle matching AJ, Clingan matching Sanogo, Ball matching Joey)
downgrades at 3 spots (Hawk was better than Spencer, Clingan was better than Samson, Alleyne was better than Ross/Stew)

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
This is huge news and hearing it early gave me a huge boost for my day of calls out on the pavement. Had some pep in the old mans step and delivered a ton of value to my customer base, I'd say I landed a triple/double Newton style!! LOL love this news!
So many of us out there who care this much. I get it but so many people I know just don’t get the passion some of us rooting for our college teams. I am certain you and your customers had a great day. Congrats on using the energy this created in a positive way. Go Huskies!!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This makes a successful season for Castle much more likely. They have great complimentary skillsets. We will win a bunch of games because he's back--no doubt. As much as people like to bag on him, that's a national championship PG.
I agree with that. We still need a PG though ;-)

Reaction Score
Like my football coach use to say
“It’s not the size of the dog in the fight it’s the size of the fight in the dog “‘
How quickly you forget 2014
Bazz 6’0 in sneakers
RB 5’10” in sneakers
They literally devoured big guards .
The difference between cannibalism and playing better than someone is subtle.

Couldn't help myself...I do that all the time

Reaction Score
This should move us back to preseason #1 over Kansas. If Jackson comes back, we'll be the prohibitive title favorites.

Reaction Score
This should move us back to preseason #1 over Kansas. If Jackson comes back, we'll be the prohibitive title favorites.
I think we are definitely Top 5 but add Cam Spencer or some other great shooter and we will be #1.

Reaction Score
I don't believe we really slid Newton off ball more or less during the season (Jackson was always on ball a lot when he was in there) it was more about him not being assertive in that stretch, because we were focused on going to Sanogo first in the low post. We started moving Sanogo around a bit more and de-emphasizing post-ups as opposed to just trying to find him in more opportunistic times. That freed up the paint for Newton to drive more.
To me it appeared the majority of Newton's turnovers came when there was pressure and he had to bring the ball up and he was winded. To be alleviated of that I feel allows he to be a more productive shooter/scorer. In the Natty right before the 4 minute TV timeout when SDSU went on a run Newton was gassed and had a couple of bad TOs, after he came back rested from the 3 minute blow he was able to help seal the deal. He shot 36.6% from 3 last year, playing a lot of difficult minutes having Castle to take that pressure off of him should allow him more legs to score. That's how I see it.

Reaction Score
Love the optimism, but no. With Spencer, we may be pre-season top 5. Otherwise, we’re likely at the back-end of the top 10. But whatever - it only matters where we are when the season ends.
While not as oppomistic as the guy who said we would be #1 as is with Newton I think addding a shooter with the high-qualioty Freshmen depth we have puts as one of the favorites.

Reaction Score
I think we still have question marks so hopefully we are in the 10-15 early on. Tough schedule to start for a young team who will need to find themselves. Even some returning players like DC need to ensure he stays on the court because foul trouble leads to a huge question mark. Singare isn't afraid and that's a great thing but we're not sure. And let's be honest our 1-2 in the middle was 2nd to none last year. SJ has a ways to go so we're not sure of his impact, much like the freshman. I will feel much more comfortable about this team with the addition of a player like Spencer. They'll be fun no matter, and they may bloom late so can't wait for the questions to get answered. But again, rather be in the discussion but further down.

Reaction Score
Bonding in Europe after summer session(s) prior to preseason will be huge for the development of this roster.. A shooter of Spencer's talent would dramatically affect the trajectory of this team's potential.. Second half of the year these guys will be killin' it.. OOC schedule prior to BE schedule will be Big Boy BB.. They'll be up to the challenge..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom