Newton is coming back! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Newton is coming back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sliding Newton off ball coincided with a bit of a rough stretch for him this past season. He seems to excel with the ball in his hands attacking the rim. Will be interesting to see how that on/off ball dynamic plays out with him and Castle.

Unless he has a big leap, Diarra should have a minimal role. He’s not taking ball handling duties away from Newton. Although I can see him getting forced onto the court in certain matchups against quick guards (that Newton and Castle will have trouble staying in front of).
Welcome back Tristan. You are the man!
Newton is ball dominant, almost all his scoring is with the ball in his hands. I don't see that changing. Plenty of scoring to go around with this team though, and we win when we share the ball. So many assists on baskets last year during our championship run, one of the main reasons we dominated.

Another big reason we dominated is the secret sauce, Andre Jackson. If he comes back also, we look real good to repeat.

Reaction Score
I wonder how much Newton's coming being back impacts Cam Spencer's decision. I have to think it's a plus, because a big just disappeared for us. I would think Jackson's announcement would be more meaningful for Spencer, but that decision has likely already been made and Spencer is likely already aware of it.
If Spencer was being honest when he said basketball fit can be more important than just getting an NIL bag, then this decision just became the greatest gift we could have received. He can fill the Hawkins role and we'll be the #1 title favorite

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Now A morning of refreshing AJax Twitter and shirking any type of work.
Save yourself the trouble, it won't happen until tomorrow, or perhaps Friday, as a courtesy to Newton.

I found Newton's announcement on a Wednesday to be interesting. Newton today, Jackson tomorrow and Spencer on Friday?

Reaction Score
Save yourself the trouble, it won't happen until tomorrow, or perhaps Friday, as a courtesy to Newton.

I found Newton's announcement on a Wednesday to be interesting. Newton today, Jackson tomorrow and Spencer on Friday?
I believe the deadline to withdraw from the NBA Draft is today, so should find out about Jackson today.

Reaction Score

1685543072906.gif

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe the deadline to withdraw from the NBA Draft is today, so should find out about Jackson today.
True, but he can theoretically still stay in the draft and still return to college if he doesn't like the outcome

Reaction Score

I guess I'll have to call out of work tmrw as well

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
True, but he can theoretically still stay in the draft and still return to college if he doesn't like the outcome
I don’t think that’s true.

Reaction Score
Can he? I think it is an NCAA rule that players must withdraw by today to keep their eligibility

Reaction Score
Awesome news! Back to back nattys is in reach. Lead this team and then go pro!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think that’s true.
No he cannot
Can he? I think it is an NCAA rule that players must withdraw by today to keep their eligibility

It is technically true for Andre. If you go undrafted and participated in the NBA Combine, you can elect to return to college. Andre will not go undrafted though, so the decision is made today

Reaction Score
No, he can't. If he doesn't withdraw today, then the only way he can come back is if he goes undrafted. If he's drafted, even in the second round, he wouldn't have the option to return to college.

Practically, his decision needs to be made today - given that he'll certainly be drafted somewhere if he stays in.

Reaction Score
No, he can't. If he doesn't withdraw today, then the only way he can come back is if he goes undrafted. If he's drafted, even in the second round, he wouldn't have the option to return to college.

Practically, his decision needs to be made today - given that he'll certainly be drafted somewhere if he stays in.
I remember they had the undrafted rule for a while. But that was only if you didn’t sign an agent at one point?? Those rules have changed? But some of the aspects stayed

does Nbadraft.net have good insight??? Currently have Hawkins 16 sanago 50 and Jackson not on the list for this years mock draft. Id hope Andre got drafted but there’s only 58 picks this year due to forfeits. Makes It a little more difficult to get drafted

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
We are relying on a freshman starter + 2 sophomores. Another freshman probably starts unless we pick up a transfer SG. And our bench depth is going to be mostly freshman.

I think we can be a top-25 tournament team and make a lucky push for a S16 if we gel, but I don't see this as a championship-level season. Freshman are supposed to go through growing pains... and we have a lot of 'em. Can't expect the same ability to close out games or make the big play in a pivotal moment as guys like Joey or Alleyne.

For me, this feels like an enjoy the development season, and get excited about Clingan/Castle going in the lottery.

I agree to an extent, but I also disagree.

We’ll have 2 sophomore studs with HIGH level experience. A 3rd returner now w/ Newton w/ upper class experience.

Last year, realistically, Sanogo was our only proven commodity. Jackson was a leader but on court wasn’t known. He essentially was shifting positions. Newton was a transfer fighting for a spot. Karaban and Clingan were frosh and Hawkins was coming off a promising but inconsistent season where we expected him to be the 1 or 2 option.

I’d actually say, despite the number of frosh this year, that last year was a bit more unknown going in. These frosh are physically ready, we’ll see how they are mentally. But we don’t need any of them to doninate a game to win.

Reaction Score
Sliding Newton off ball coincided with a bit of a rough stretch for him this past season. He seems to excel with the ball in his hands attacking the rim. Will be interesting to see how that on/off ball dynamic plays out with him and Castle.

Unless he has a big leap, Diarra should have a minimal role. He’s not taking ball handling duties away from Newton. Although I can see him getting forced onto the court in certain matchups against quick guards (that Newton and Castle will have trouble staying in front of).
I don't believe we really slid Newton off ball more or less during the season (Jackson was always on ball a lot when he was in there) it was more about him not being assertive in that stretch, because we were focused on going to Sanogo first in the low post. We started moving Sanogo around a bit more and de-emphasizing post-ups as opposed to just trying to find him in more opportunistic times. That freed up the paint for Newton to drive more.

Reaction Score
I don't believe we really slid Newton off ball more or less during the season (Jackson was always on ball a lot when he was in there) it was more about him not being assertive in that stretch, because we were focused on going to Sanogo first in the low post. We started moving Sanogo around a bit more and de-emphasizing post-ups as opposed to just trying to find him in more opportunistic times. That freed up the paint for Newton to drive more.
Just going off memory, thought we had a period where Jackson was on ball as primary initiator of the offense more often. But could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom