Newton is coming back! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Newton is coming back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of the last 33 champions, 32 of the winners were ranked in the top 12 in the week 6 AP poll (which is mid early/mid December). Titles aren't won in November, but championship quality teams tend to have great non-conference seasons.
Well if there’s one school that bucks a lot of those trends when it comes to winning titles in March, it’s UConn.

I still think we’ll have a great non-con. Clingan, Karaban, and Newton will win us a lot of games

Reaction Score
Well if there’s one school that bucks a lot of those trends when it comes to winning titles in March, it’s UConn.

I still think we’ll have a great non-con. Clingan, Karaban, and Newton will win us a lot of games
Funnily enough, both 2011 and 2014 UConn were in the top 12 then (it's like the only "rule" that 2014 doesn't break). It was '03 Syracuse. So if your argument is that freshmen will develop over time, there is that precedent. But they have to develop into Carmelo Anthony.

Reaction Score
I've actually had mixed experiences with them. I thought the away navy Hawkins I got wasn't high quality but was impressed with the throwback white Sanogo jersey being pretty good.
I thought the Hawkins away uniform was on this this site? UConn Huskies Jordan Hawkins #24 Basketball Jersey

I got that one and the quality is fine even though obviously a knockoff. Either way I can't wait for Nike to start doing some of the players this upcoming year. The quaility obviously will be better.

Reaction Score
I mean l think athletesthread is awful. The graphics and numbers are printed on, they’re super unclear. The material isn’t jersey material. It looks like a high school warm up jersey.
I want to support the NIL and buy the jerseys of our Husky players. Where should I go to buy a good quality jersey?

It doesn't have to be exactly the high quality that the players wear on game day, but I don't want a garbage quality either.

Keep in mind I will buy shirts with their jersey numbers as well.

Reaction Score
The website athletethread that makes the jerseys is awful. The quality of jersey is horrendous and their customer service was terrible. The jersey I ordered is unwearable, the quality is so bad.
Which one did you order? Because the most recent batch they released with all the current players available were nothing like what you describe, this sounds like you bought the initial batch which actually did look like practice jerseys

Reaction Score
Which one did you order? Because the most recent batch they released with all the current players available were nothing like what you describe, this sounds like you bought the initial batch which actually did look like practice jerseys
Those weren't athletesthreads though, right? I'm pretty sure those ugly practice jersey versions are from a different NIL store

Reaction Score
Clingan and Castle go lottery, not Karaban. And yes I do think this is a 15-25 kind of season, not a top-5 kind of season, because of the lack of experience and bench depth.

Getting Cam Spencer would definitely change this assessment.
We just went through a 15-25 ranking type of season and we won the title. I’ll take it

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Funnily enough, both 2011 and 2014 UConn were in the top 12 then (it's like the only "rule" that 2014 doesn't break). It was '03 Syracuse. So if your argument is that freshmen will develop over time, there is that precedent. But they have to develop into Carmelo Anthony.
Or Jeremy Lamb.

Reaction Score
Great news so now we are set in the backcourt with Castle and Newton interchanging positions in the starting lineup. Just need a shooter that slide into the 3 position. Hopefully it is Spencer.
With Spencer our depth chart would go from:

Newton --> Newton
Hawkins --> Spencer
Jackson --> Castle
Karaban --> Karaban
Sanogo --> Clingan

Clingan --> Johnson
Alleyne --> Ross/Stewart
Calcaterra --> Ball
Diarra --> Diarra

That is not a big drop-off, depending on the play of Johnson and the freshmen.

Reaction Score
With Spencer our depth chart would go from:

Newton --> Newton
Hawkins --> Spencer
Jackson --> Castle
Karaban --> Karaban
Sanogo --> Clingan

Clingan --> Johnson
Alleyne --> Ross/Stewart
Calcaterra --> Ball
Diarra --> Diarra

That is not a big drop-off, depending on the play of Johnson and the freshmen.
The drop off may be noticeable at times, especially at the start of season due to learning curves and working pieces into a cohesive team but I’m bullish on the higher ceiling of this crop of freshmen.

On top of that, if spencer joins the squad, our starters’ collective offense power should see a bump up due to Andre departure, not a knock on Andre (he is integral part of our offense, just not of himself).

In my mind, this month could be November already.

Reaction Score
Between karaban, clingan, castle and newton. We have maybe 4 guys projected To be drafted Next year. Last year we didn’t have that going in to the season. We probably had Hawkins and sanago maybe Jackson but that’s 3 not 4 guys projected drafted. Last year we didn’t have championship experience. Last year we didn’t expect clingan and karaban to be as good as they were (freshmen). Will we miss Joey and Allene type guys. Maybe. But we got a lot of things going for us too. Some guys can step it up in other ways. And we can still add a transfer. right now you definitely can’t count us out for a repeat. Lotsa talent on this team. Lotsa things can still happen. But A tad more inexperienced because we haven’t pulled all those transfers in but top to bottom I like our chances

personally Tristan newton is one of my favorite huskies ever. I wouldn’t even be surprised if he emerges as a 15-5-5 guy.
We can’t add any transfers moving forward correct? I thought the transfer portal closed.

Reaction Score
We can’t add any transfers moving forward correct? I thought the transfer portal closed.

A quick search: “Players are still able to enter the transfer portal even after the deadline, but will need a waiver to not sit out next season”

Reaction Score
Getting some 09 AJ Price/Kemba vibes here. LET'S GOOOOO

Reaction Score
If we can bring spencer in, I think we are back to being top 2 or 3 in the country pre season

Reaction Score
If we can bring spencer in, I think we are back to being top 2 or 3 in the country pre s
If lucky enough to get Spencer.. How would you fill last roster opening if necessary? Best available athlete or by positional need? ie.. A backup Big?? Another wing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom