Newton is coming back! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Newton is coming back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
We are relying on a freshman starter + 2 sophomores. Another freshman probably starts unless we pick up a transfer SG. And our bench depth is going to be mostly freshman.

I think we can be a top-25 tournament team and make a lucky push for a S16 if we gel, but I don't see this as a championship-level season. Freshman are supposed to go through growing pains... and we have a lot of 'em. Can't expect the same ability to close out games or make the big play in a pivotal moment as guys like Joey or Alleyne.

For me, this feels like an enjoy the development season, and get excited about Clingan/Castle going in the lottery.
Like JC said, 'Nobody is a freshman in February'

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Spencer was being honest when he said basketball fit can be more important than just getting an NIL bag, then this decision just became the greatest gift we could have received. He can fill the Hawkins role and we'll be the #1 title favorite
College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Spencer was being honest when he said basketball fit can be more important than just getting an NIL bag, then this decision just became the greatest gift we could have received. He can fill the Hawkins role and we'll be the #1 title favorite
Hawkins development and then his performance in March is one of the greatest PR gifts for UCONN BBall. Look at what he did in less than 2 years

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
What intrigues me is the lack of dipping into the portal. Even with TN back in the fold it seems we could have picked up another big, since we are hoping Samson will be improved and stay healthy and the 7’1” freshman may be more of a project. We hit it big with DC playing well above what we thought was his ceiling. Is it realistic to expect that 2 years in a row. And if not a serviceable back up big maybe another wing 6’7” type with handle just to hedge against ant freshman acclimation issues. Hurley has to know what AJ is going to do so all of this is interesting to me.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I agree to an extent, but I also disagree.

We’ll have 2 sophomore studs with HIGH level experience. A 3rd returner now w/ Newton w/ upper class experience.

Last year, realistically, Sanogo was our only proven commodity. Jackson was a leader but on court wasn’t known. He essentially was shifting positions. Newton was a transfer fighting for a spot. Karaban and Clingan were frosh and Hawkins was coming off a promising but inconsistent season where we expected him to be the 1 or 2 option.

I’d actually say, despite the number of frosh this year, that last year was a bit more unknown going in. These frosh are physically ready, we’ll see how they are mentally. But we don’t need any of them to doninate a game to win.
We lost our two leading options on offense. Say what you want about Hawkins but if you did not see right away that if he stayed healthy he was going to be a star and gone after this year then player eval is not a strong suit. When you lose your top two options on offense that is very tough. Love DC but even with improvement don’t see how he can be as efficient as AS was all year. We will have a good team, but I think our coach will be improved as much as anyone. But we should not minimize what we lost and could still lose with AJ. So I agree with most of your thoughts but one of the freshman hopefully Castle will team with TN as one of our go to guys and the rest including AK don’t feel like they have to do too much on offense.

Reaction Score
UConn NIL wasting no time this morning...

The website athletethread that makes the jerseys is awful. The quality of jersey is horrendous and their customer service was terrible. The jersey I ordered is unwearable, the quality is so bad.

Reaction Score
The website athletethread that makes the jerseys is awful. The quality of jersey is horrendous and their customer service was terrible. The jersey I ordered is unwearable, the quality is so bad.
How do you think it compares to the Jerseys on uconnhuskies.com? I got the ones on uconnhuskies.com they are obvious knockoffs but the quality is decent. I did notice on athletesthread that the numbers are smaller than normal which is weird.

Reaction Score
I mean l think athletesthread is awful. The graphics and numbers are printed on, they’re super unclear. The material isn’t jersey material. It looks like a high school warm up jersey.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not surprised at all in his decision
He really had little choice and he will fit in well returning to Storrs and will be key to Castle's settling in rather than being thrown to the lions on his lonesome.
Not sure if this will allow Newton to be the main man in the backcourt but there is always room for a returning NC starter.
His return makes the team that much stronger and adds an important level of maturity/stability

Reaction Score
Dude, he's a basketball player almost all of them inflate their height. Newton is listed at 6'5 and people are calling him 6'6 in writeups, he's 6'3.5
Except Clingan. I swear he is bigger than 7"2".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Way too early to predict how the Fab 5 will perform.. But I do get the sense that we've got some confident alpha dogs in the group besides Castle.. And they will push anyone in front of them for PT.. Helps everyone..
Will all of the alpha dogs play team ball?

Reaction Score
Even if they're not ready right away, Championships aren't won in November. We've seen over and over again how this staff develops players throughout the year. They're going to be firing on all cylinders in March
Of the last 33 champions, 32 of the winners were ranked in the top 12 in the week 6 AP poll (which is mid early/mid December). Titles aren't won in November, but championship quality teams tend to have great non-conference seasons.

Reaction Score
I've actually had mixed experiences with them. I thought the away navy Hawkins I got wasn't high quality but was impressed with the throwback white Sanogo jersey being pretty good.

Reaction Score
With Hawkins, Sanogo , and maybe Jackson gone , with great youngsters around him , Hopefully he could do a reasonable Kemba 2011 imitation as in it really becomes his team. He certainly should be more comfortable in that role than he was last year .
Clingan and Karaban should be better than Alex and Certainly Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, plus a tested Backup in Diarra with a trusted handle.
So hopefully the incoming class out produces a Smith , Lamb , Bazz , Giffey , TO , to not require him to be the force Kemba was but still successful. That team was coming off a huge disappointing season with a pretty talented team not a NC so situations are different.
Probably a tad unfair to burden anyone but team construction alone brings that season to mind .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom