New Yahoo article | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Yahoo article

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke,
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
This article is about some of the players being recruited by agents. Who cares. I want to know how uncle Wes and the squid funneled money to players to have ten of them go to Kentucky each year. I care more about schools buying recruits than I do agents buying clients.

Diamond Stone didn't choose Maryland because Andy Miller gave him 10k. He went because Kevin Plank gave him 100.
Who cares?... the players will still be ineligible, and title could still come down... 2015 Duke.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Taking money from an agent is a clear violation of NCAA rules. Not even a question. My sense is this will be something like the steroid era in baseball. Eventually it will be cleaned up some with many more players going to a reformatted g league with baseball style contracts. It won’t get 100% of the money out of the system but it will definitely reduce it by a lot.

In a perfect world the NCAA would declare everyone who shows up on one of these lists as ineligible and go forward from there them make some rule that greatly reduces the 1-done system (eg if a player leaves early you can’t reuse his scholarship until his class graduates would work) Then Emmett could take credit for restoring the system.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Only one lazy, sloppy coach would get directly involved. I see you Rick! But they all know what is going on. Coach K knows, even if he chooses to turn a blind eye. The case of Duke is linear. Go back and trace when they became average to when they started out recruiting Kentucky. How did that happen? Straight cash homie. Look at Zion Williamson. Anytime a recruit like that pulls a last minute surprise, someone got involved behind the scenes.
You mean those athletes didn't enroll at Duke for the top notch education and the prestigious reputation.

Reaction Score
So I guess the biggest question is what does the NCAA do with this, right? What makes a player ineligible in this case? Is it the amateurism aspect? If the agents are funneling money to recruits, the claim is they aren't taking money to go to a certain school, rather they took the money as a "loan" with the agency hoping to sign them post college (and the NCAA cant prove the school had any involvement), is that player considered no longer an amateur and ineligible? Or as people stated above, if schools and university officials have done their part distancing themselves from the obvious $$ tree, will they all get off scot free? When Michigan State plays in the final four with a player who is now known to have taken money, will the public outcry be enough to do something about it?

I assume since this just broke, statements from schools and the NCAA are being formulated today and we can sit back and enjoy (as long as we aren't implicated).
I would guess the loan would be classified as an "impermissible benefit".

Reaction Score
South Carolina must be pond scum. Or have a death wish. How can you take Bowen knowing what is out there from Louisville?

As for Chillious, if there is a hint of him being involved, and I think it is at best borderline now, he needs to just go. Though that might well happen anyway if Ollie goes.

Who hired Chill? He needs to go to :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
But what does that have to do with uconn? Unless he’s done it at uconn too

Potential punishment could impact UConn - UConn could decide to terminate (would not be surprised if this happens anyway if KO is let go), not permitted to be involved in recruiting if retained as coach... I guess we'll see......

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
yeah, the fact that so many of these are called "loans" makes me wonder.

But then again, isn't leveraging your future earnings potential as an athlete a violation of the NCAA's amateurism rules? Didn't lebron get in trouble for that when his mom used his future earnings to get a mortgage or something crazy like that (not that it was gonna matter anyway)?

If they weren’t loans they would be gifts which would make them taxable.

Reaction Score
It's important because schools aren't necessarily paying players directly--I think agents and shoe companies were, and that's how the school set up a system to pay players--right? I wouldn't be led to believe that schools were then paying back the agencies, as some of the players are described as having been 'bad' loans
That is what it sounds like. Insulate and deny strategy.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
As if... In a world where Lubin gets 50K what does Zion get?

Reaction Score
Taking money from an agent is a clear violation of NCAA rules. Not even a question. My sense is this will be something like the steroid era in baseball. Eventually it will be cleaned up some with many more players going to a reformatted g league with baseball style contracts. It won’t get 100% of the money out of the system but it will definitely reduce it by a lot.

In a perfect world the NCAA would declare everyone who shows up on one of these lists as ineligible and go forward from there them make some rule that greatly reduces the 1-done system (eg if a player leaves early you can’t reuse his scholarship until his class graduates would work) Then Emmett could take credit for restoring the system.

This has been going on for awhile and the NCAA has turned a blind eye to it. Jay Williams gave Kevin Love money. Myron Piggie gave Corey Maggette money. Cam Newton got money. The NCAA did nothing in all 3 cases.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The stuff we get caught on is stupid trivia . Too many phone calls, helping a kid get needed surgery, retroactive academic rule BS and transportation back home.

Only one of those is stupid trivia.

- The retroactive APR

The rest
The phone calls. Well Kelvin Sampson got a five year show cause for phone calls. So its not like that was applied arbitrarily
Getting a kid surgery. That is just wrong. Even if altruistic (and its not), it is akin to a straight cash benefit
Ricky and Kirk flights. Again. Accepting something of monetary value from someone is against the rules. They were straight guilty.

Reaction Score
This. So far this is about one agency. Think about how many others there are and how commonplace this all must be. This could finally lead to the end of amateurism in major college sports. If they find out that most/all of the agencies that rep players are involved in these same things, and I have no doubt they are, and that a large percentage of CFB and CBB players are involved it will blow the lid off the whole concept.

Will anyone outside the football factories have really any interest in watching these games at that point? Basketball? I know I will stop watching for sure.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, even if they were to rule today that the Top 50 basketball teams were ineligible for the 2018 NCAA Tournament, I still don't think we could get into this years NCAA tournament! :mad::D

Reaction Score
Fultz got paid at Washington. Remember Chillious was the point man

Chill was a Washington employee then. No hit on Uconn other than having to broom Chill which should be inevitable in the house cleaning that should come as soon as we are dumped from AAC tourney.

Reaction Score
Going back through history...is this as bad as the Marcus Camby case? Is that a precedent for the punishment that needs to be handed down?

I'm pretty sure all the incidents involving "meeting for meals" are easily dealt with - anything under $200 and the player just pays the money into a charity to be ruled re-eligible. But accepting thousands of dollars would mean ineligibility and vacation of wins according to the history books...

Reaction Score
The nba should work with the ncaa to strip any agents of their ability to work for the league if they are talking to kids. They should also get rid of the one and done rule

The NBA is hoping to cut the NCAA out all together. Thats why they're making a huge investment in the G-League

Reaction Score
Really glad to see UConn not get mentioned in this article (knock on wood regarding further articles...)

It is getting noticed:

UConn winner of 100% of NC's in the last 10 years. Who's the blue blood?

Future NCAA record book list of champions:
2017 Vacated
2016 Vacated
2015 Vacated
2014 Connecticut (32-8) Kevin Ollie 60-54 Kentucky Arlington, Texas
2013 Vacated
2012 Vacated
2011 Connecticut (32-9) Jim Calhoun 53-41 Butler Houston, Texas
2010 Vacated
2009 Vacated
2008 Vacated

Online statistics