New Yahoo article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Yahoo article

Reaction Score
NCAA cooked. To salvage any credibility they have to drop any frivolous investigations and go hard. When the first reports came out many said nothing would come of this. I said this is not Emmert protecting the status quo a federal probe made it a whole new ballgame.

Reaction Score
Let's not count our chickens until they've hatched... I sure there's more to come and that this is the first of many.
This. So far this is about one agency. Think about how many others there are and how commonplace this all must be. This could finally lead to the end of amateurism in major college sports. If they find out that most/all of the agencies that rep players are involved in these same things, and I have no doubt they are, and that a large percentage of CFB and CBB players are involved it will blow the lid off the whole concept.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
and I bet this is small fries compared to the corruption and money flowing around in college football.

Tear the whole thing down.
I don't know for sure, but I would assume that this is much more widespread in bball than football only because the majority of really good players only spend 1 or maybe 2 years in college. Also, 1 player is capable of making a much bigger impact in bball than football.

Reaction Score
This doesn’t really condemn the schools as much as it is a player agent relationship. I don’t think much will come from this, but it may lead to more findings down the road.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This article is about some of the players being recruited by agents. Who cares. I want to know how uncle Wes and the squid funneled money to players to have ten of them go to Kentucky each year. I care more about schools buying recruits than I do agents buying clients.

Diamond Stone didn't choose Maryland because Andy Miller gave him 10k. He went because Kevin Plank gave him 100.

I have a friend who is a baseball agent who spoke with the FBI.

He said to know this and report it would require witness protection.

Reaction Score
South Carolina must be pond scum. Or have a death wish. How can you take Bowen knowing what is out there from Louisville?

As for Chillious, if there is a hint of him being involved, and I think it is at best borderline now, he needs to just go. Though that might well happen anyway if Ollie goes.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Jeez his Quickbooks balance sheet looks like a Whos Who of college and NBA basketball. Did he ever think that wouldn't be discoverable? While this is a federal investigation and FBI will likely ask the NCAA to stay back so as to not corrupt their investigation it will be interesting to see how the NCAA responds to this. I definitely see downstream penalties for UCONN however.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
NCAA cooked. To salvage any credibility they have to drop any frivolous investigations and go hard. When the first reports came out many said nothing would come of this. I said this is not Emmert protecting the status quo a federal probe made it a whole new ballgame.
The NCAA will not be allowed to "go after" any aspect of the Feds case. They should however line up their own legal team because they will have a lot to answer to.

Reaction Score
The NCAA will not be allowed to "go after" any aspect of the Feds case. They should however line up their own legal team because they will have a lot to answer to.
Very good point. My real statement is they are done. Call it lack of institutional control. Congress may get involved due to tax exempt status. A new organization will rise from the ashes.

C

Chief00

This doesn’t really condemn the schools as much as it is a player agent relationship. I don’t think much will come from this, but it may lead to more findings down the road.

I agree, too many big P5 schools involved. It would hurt the NCAA too much in the wallet. They will take the position, they don’t want to muddy up the FBI’s investigation or simply the schools were out of the loop. If there is overwhelming evidence against a particular school they might make an example out of one of the usual suspects. Pitino at this point would be easy.

Anything to save corrupt Mark Emmert’s butt.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Calipari to the Kings or the Clippers. Book it.
This wouldn't shock me in the slightest. almost expecting it at this point. Calipari will be the first coach in history to lead 3 ncaa programs to vacated wins/ncaa sanctions!

Reaction Score
They need to get rid of all of the players named before the Dance.

Reaction Score
I don't know for sure, but I would assume that this is much more widespread in bball than football only because the majority of really good players only spend 1 or maybe 2 years in college. Also, 1 player is capable of making a much bigger impact in bball than football.
College football is, and always has been corrupt down to it's core. However, I doubt that it's corruption involves a handful of major actors, acting on a wide scale. Instead, college football has hundreds, maybe even thousands of of cheaters, acting in behalf of their favorite school. It's not shoe companies, but the local car dealer funneling $10,000 to a player to go to his alma mater. The no work job, etc.

Reaction Score
I'm not buying the apocalyptic spin some are putting on this. This is not as big a story as some think and it's not going to cause seismic change. Current players who are involved will be ruled ineligible (the NCAA doesn't have a choice there) and maybe a school or two get a postseason ban. More forfeited wins (who cares?), schools and coaches will feign ignorance, and there will be a series of empty statements expressing sorrow and regret from all parties.

The NCAA is not going to destroy Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, and Michigan State. It's the NCAA; this is about money, it always has been and it always will be. You don't cut the head off your cash cow. As usual, they'll make up the rules and punishment as they go and will save their most important assets.

Reaction Score
So I guess the biggest question is what does the NCAA do with this, right? What makes a player ineligible in this case? Is it the amateurism aspect? If the agents are funneling money to recruits, the claim is they aren't taking money to go to a certain school, rather they took the money as a "loan" with the agency hoping to sign them post college (and the NCAA cant prove the school had any involvement), is that player considered no longer an amateur and ineligible? Or as people stated above, if schools and university officials have done their part distancing themselves from the obvious $$ tree, will they all get off scot free? When Michigan State plays in the final four with a player who is now known to have taken money, will the public outcry be enough to do something about it?

I assume since this just broke, statements from schools and the NCAA are being formulated today and we can sit back and enjoy (as long as we aren't implicated).

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
So I guess the biggest question is what does the NCAA do with this, right? What makes a player ineligible in this case? Is it the amateurism aspect? If the agents are funneling money to recruits, the claim is they aren't taking money to go to a certain school, rather they took the money as a "loan" with the agency hoping to sign them post college (and the NCAA cant prove the school had any involvement), is that player considered no longer an amateur and ineligible? Or as people stated above, if schools and university officials have done their part distancing themselves from the obvious $$ tree, will they all get off scot free? When Michigan State plays in the final four with a player who is now known to have taken money, will the public outcry be enough to do something about it?

I assume since this just broke, statements from schools and the NCAA are being formulated today and we can sit back and enjoy (as long as we aren't implicated).

yeah, the fact that so many of these are called "loans" makes me wonder.

But then again, isn't leveraging your future earnings potential as an athlete a violation of the NCAA's amateurism rules? Didn't lebron get in trouble for that when his mom used his future earnings to get a mortgage or something crazy like that (not that it was gonna matter anyway)?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom