New UConn Assistant Coach Morgan Valley | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New UConn Assistant Coach Morgan Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For those harping on her record as a HC, it's not like she took over a power house program that's an easy place to win. They were trending downward when Jen left after a couple of good seasons and were never really that good before Jen was there. Also, the fact that they are downgrading from D1 to D3 may have been no secret to recruits and made it difficult to attract competitive talent. Her vast experience as AC makes her more than qualified for the job as....drum roll.....AC and she's familiar with the Uconn "culture" having played in their system for 4 seasons. I'm guessing the naysayers were looking for a "big name" that either had no experience in coaching (and it's being assumed that good player = good coach) or not looking to be someone's AC (i.e., either not interested in coaching or see AC as beneath what they'r
With a drop to DIII, how can she not leave for arguably or not, the best program in college BB?

Hartford dropping to D3 is very early in the discussion phase. The chances of it happening are probably less than 50%.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
My main question is; can Morgan recruit? Shea was a great recruiter for UCONN. Other then that I think Morgan is a great choice to replace Shea!
here's how to recruit -- "Hi my name is Morgan and I'm from The University of Connecticut Women's basketball prog..." At about that time the recruit says "Where do I sign." Not really but you know what I mean. Be nice. No BS. Minutes and positions are earned and not promised. Top 23rd public institution. Oh, and you will get a chance to play for a championship before you graduate. To quote Aaliyah Edwards, "After all, it's UConn!"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
here's how to recruit -- "Hi my name is Megan and I'm from The University of Connecticut Women's basketball prog..." At about that time the recruit says "Where do I sign." Not really but you know what I mean. Be nice. No BS. Minutes and positions are earned and not promised. Top 23rd public institution. Oh, and you will get a chance to play for a championship before you graduate. To quote Aaliyah Edwards, "After all, it's UConn!"
If you show up and say my name is Megan, the recruits will be terribly confused I think.

Reaction Score
I should not have to say this but I will, she would never have gotten the job if Geno and Chris did not think she was capable so I don't understand why some of the people on this board are second guessing their decision. Leave it to the people that know what they are doing. Welcome aboard Morgan I wish you a lot of success!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just curious - is ”This was a poor decision” something “good” or did you give yourself a one time “If I cannot say anything good“ exemption?
Frankly, I never heard of Ms. Valley prior to this AC position opening up but everything in her background seems to indicate this was an outstanding hire.
It’s like the people that post “I have some great insider recruiting information but I can’t share it”.

Recent conversion to UConn Nation? Morgan played at UConn 2000-2004 and her sister, Ashley, played at UConn 2001-2005.

Reaction Score
I should not have to say this but I will, she would never have gotten the job if Geno and Chris did not think she was capable so I don't understand why some of the people on this board are second guessing their decision. Leave it to the people that know what they are doing. Welcome aboard Morgan I wish you a lot of success!!!
It's...
1619026133761.png

Reaction Score
It’s like the people that post “I have some great insider recruiting information but I can’t share it”.

Recent conversion to UConn Nation? Morgan played at UConn 2000-2004 and her sister, Ashley, played at UConn 2001-2005.
I have followed Uconn WBB on the periphery for some time, meaning I watched FF games, back at least to the Taurasi years, obviously that coincided with the years the Valley sisters were at Uconn but like I said, I was just a casual observer then. I had met and had several short conversations with Chris Dailey during her time at Rutgers which was kind of my “interest intro” if you will. I started following more closely during the Stewart years, initially because I had several male BB colleagues and friends who raved about her so I checked the team out more closely her freshman year. Frankly, though, I maintained interest because of Morgan Tuck, just so admired her all around game and her ability to adjust and remain great through her injuries. Just stayed interested from there.

Reaction Score
she had a record of 4-37 as a hc, stop taking credit away from Adia Barnes she and her husband built that team
What does her 4-37 record as a head coach have to do with her time at Arizona as an assistant? Obviously she had some impact on the Arizona program during her time there. Recognizing that doesn't take a thing away from the job Adia Barnes did.

Reaction Score
I know that second guessing has a long tradition here on the BY. But do we really want to second guess the hiring of an AC with a strong resume, a firm understanding of what it takes to succeed at UConn and the benefit of having been guided and mentored throughout her career by Geno & CD.

This is one of those decisions that we have to defer to the wisdom and judgment of the two HOF coaches who run the most successful program in the history of WBB.

PLUS
they know her extremely well

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This is a repeat about Morgan the player...from a long way back...but seems appropriate for today.

I was watching an AAU game in Albany and one player stood out. There was a lady sitting a few rows away and she was really into the game. I asked her if she knew who the stand-out was. She said that she might indeed...it was her daughter....Morgan Valley. I had never heard the name...no idea of her college interests. We chatted a bit about her play and Mom said the family had just left Storrs after a visit with Geno. Mom/Dad/Morgan/Ashley. My ears perked up and Mom was chatty.

She said that Morgan had gotten interest from UConn and thus their visit. They lived up near Burlington, Vt.
So...in the middle of their Geno chat, he offered her a scholarship....in their minds totally unexpected. This would have been in
June of her junior year. Family reaction...Morgan/Ashley/Mom in tears. Uhhh...maybe Dad was made of sterner stuff???
She mentioned that Vermont/Rutgers/Old Dominion...maybe more...had made offers to both daughters. ND and UConn only to Morgan with Geno indicating he would be back in a year regarding Ashley.

They were unexpectedly thrilled at the offer. Mom...amusingly...said that Morgan immediately began to ask Geno whether she was good enough to play at UConn. Geno said 'yes'. Morgan began to [almost] argue with him on the topic...'are you sure?'
At some point Geno became HIMSELF and told her to stop bugging him....he knew what he was talking about....end of story.
Later that summer she committed...wanted to play at the highest level.

Sidenote: her physical ailments greatly derailed her at UConn...maybe adding huge pressure from herself did not help.
Dee called her 'The Larry Bird of Vermont'. Meaning based on what I saw that she was not fast/not a jumper but had great shooting/passing skills and a work ethic second to none. I went to see her once in her senior year and, as has been posted here about Azzi and EDD, she was very entertaining to watch in warm-ups. From lay-ups to mid-range to trey balls she may have missed 2 shots.

Sidenote #2; somewhere early in her UConn career I read that she had been rooming with friend Dee [same class] but they had to be separated...too much arguing, too competitive. Love it!

Best wishes to Morgan in her new position...hope Mom will be down occasionally to see her daughter in action on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
Also more extensive than Geno’s when he was hired as the HC in 1985.
Geno proved himself! Morgan hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to prove herself.
There seems to be a double standard, if not an absence of logic, at play here among the naysayers. Ms. Valley's unimpressive record as a head coach, for the naysayers, equates to a condemnation of her abilities an an AC. Ms. Elliot's unimpressive record as a head coach doesn't seem to have prevented her from doing a superb job as an AC. Why are different standards applied?

Welcome back, Ms.Valley!
JE proved herself as a player and an AC winning 1NC as a player and 5 NCs as a AC! All at UConn! Go ahead and compare the resumes!

Reaction Score
Remember BYers Morgan Valley was a GREAT HS BB player!
It only turned sour through many, many injuries all through her UCONN 4 years!
We never got to see the REAL player that Geno and CD recruited!
Between her real talent and her Asst. coaching experience she has a proven track record that can only lead to Morgan doing an outstanding job!
I recall her as a very bright player, but not especially athletic, which prompted this memorable line from Geno... "She can't jump higher than the Mansfield phone book."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW I am underwhelmed by the decision. It's not flashy or high profile - not like Samatha Washington going to Tennessee. She has no real track record of recruiting, and we've only heard sporadic reports of her ability to coach, yet as a wing/forward, apparently she will be tasked with coaching possibly the greatest guard tandem in WCBB history. Not saying she can't do it, or be awesome at it, but it seems obvious (to me) she's not a "perfect fit" from that perspective...

So yeah, on the surface, TO ME, it's not a great hire. BUT, Geno and CD have won 11 NC's and been to 14 consecutive final 4's, and built the greatest program in the history of the sport. The best in the business to put it mildly. My understanding is that Morgan is always incredibly prepared, and a tireless worker. I know she will give her heart and soul to be successful.

Not that he needs my endorsement, but I trust his and CD's judgment and if they feel Morgan was the best choice, then I support it 100%. Let's revisit this decision in a year or 3 and see how she does. Best wishes Morgan, and welcome!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
here's how to recruit -- "Hi my name is Megan and I'm from The University of Connecticut Women's basketball prog..." At about that time the recruit says "Where do I sign." Not really but you know what I mean. Be nice. No BS. Minutes and positions are earned and not promised. Top 23rd public institution. Oh, and you will get a chance to play for a championship before you graduate. To quote Aaliyah Edwards, "After all, it's UConn!"
Of famously, "You had me at 'Hello.'"

Reaction Score
And in light of that drop to D3 I'm sure the players are scrambling to find other takers at D1 programs as well. You aren't leaving people "high and dry" if they are part of the exodus.
As long as she got what she wanted. Screw the kids! Good for Morgan! What a great role model! Couldn't back up what she said when hired at Hartford!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When she was on the floor she was usually the fifth option on offense, but I remember her setting brick wall picks for her teammates - the Stef Dolson, player on their back and seeing stars kind of picks. She was obviously basketball smart, but the lingering injuries were brutal - wasn't she the first player to be suffering from plantar fascitis at Uconn?

Reaction Score
As long as she got what she wanted. Screw the kids! Good for Morgan! What a great role model! Couldn't back up what she said when hired at Hartford!
Damn, that's a cold assessment. Everyone does what's "good for them", especially for a career changing opportunity at age 40. When opportunity knocks, you open the door. The "kids" will be fine. Hartford is not a bastion of WBB talent anyway, and the reality of dropping to Div II or III looks like a real possibility.

Reaction Score
FWIW I am underwhelmed by the decision. It's not splashy or flashy - not like Samatha Washington going to Tennessee. She has no real track record of recruiting, and we've only heard sporadic reports of her ability to coach, yet as a wing/forward, apparently she will be tasked with coaching possibly the greatest guard tandem in WCBB history.

I don't know enough basketball so I am asking a serious question. Why is it that there are so many successful NFL position coaches who have never played the position that they are coaching, or possibly even football at the NFL level? Why is it different in basketball?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
FWIW I am underwhelmed by the decision. It's not splashy or flashy - not like Samatha Washington going to Tennessee. She has no real track record of recruiting, and we've only heard sporadic reports of her ability to coach, yet as a wing/forward, apparently she will be tasked with coaching possibly the greatest guard tandem in WCBB history.
That's not a fair or relevant comparison. Williams was hired as Tennessee's assistant coach and recruiting coordinator. Although Williams is not yet an Assoc Head Coach her position is like CD's. Morgan's hiring is more akin to Shea's, Jasmine's and Marisa's, though she has much more experience than they did when they were hired.

Reaction Score
I'll bet her kids were first in line to congratulate her and are very understanding and supportive of her decision.
Teach them how to bail when the going gets tough! The young women aren't happy for her getting the UConn job. They're happy for a better Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom