New UConn Assistant Coach Morgan Valley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New UConn Assistant Coach Morgan Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know that second guessing has a long tradition here on the BY. But do we really want to second guess the hiring of an AC with a strong resume, a firm understanding of what it takes to succeed at UConn and the benefit of having been guided and mentored throughout her career by Geno & CD.

This is one of those decisions that we have to defer to the wisdom and judgment of the two HOF coaches who run the most successful program in the history of WBB.
Thank you for some sanity.

Reaction Score
I know that second guessing has a long tradition here on the BY. But do we really want to second guess the hiring of an AC with a strong resume, a firm understanding of what it takes to succeed at UConn and the benefit of having been guided and mentored throughout her career by Geno & CD.

This is one of those decisions that we have to defer to the wisdom and judgment of the two HOF coaches who run the most successful program in the history of WBB.
I know that second guessing has a long tradition here on the BY.
You're not suggesting that we abandon second guessing? What would we do with ourselves? I guess we could rubber stamp everything that comes up, but if we do that there's really no purpose for the BY. We become the happy face in our emoji. I'm in. "Smile though your heart is aching . . ."

Reaction Score
For those harping on her record as a HC, it's not like she took over a power house program that's an easy place to win. They were trending downward when Jen left after a couple of good seasons and were never really that good before Jen was there. Also, the fact that they are downgrading from D1 to D3 may have been no secret to recruits and made it difficult to attract competitive talent. Her vast experience as AC makes her more than qualified for the job as....drum roll.....AC and she's familiar with the Uconn "culture" having played in their system for 4 seasons. I'm guessing the naysayers were looking for a "big name" that either had no experience in coaching (and it's being assumed that good player = good coach) or not looking to be someone's AC (i.e., either not interested in coaching or see AC as beneath what they're looking for).
Recruits are not coming to Connecticut to play for Morgan Valley. 14 straight final fours and no benefit of the doubt. Tough crowd.

Reaction Score
Congrats and Much Success at UConn Morgan!
I for one am all about giving people chances, aren’t you veryolddog?

Reaction Score
My main question is; can Morgan recruit? Shea was a great recruiter for UCONN. Other then that I think Morgan is a great choice to replace Shea!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Welcome to Morgan.

I'll ignore all the banter and say this. Morgan's track record as an assistant coach, working with various team's guards is not to be ignored. I think her ability to evaluate/ scout high school guards is going to be fine.

If memory serves me, it was said when Morgan was playing and then a student assistant, that one day she would be a very good coach. Her 16 year record in coaching bears this out. When she took over the Hartford job, that glass wasn't even close to half full, it was empty.

As to recruiting, the main draw is the program UConn - the gold standard for wcbb. The other main draw is Geno - the best coach. I have a feeling Morgan can "sell" UConn to recruits. And as a reminder to some, the pool of high school players UConn chooses to heavily recruit is much smaller than every other program.

Reaction Score
The reaction to this hire is fascinating to me--especially the naysayers.
In Geno and CD, I trust.
I think that many are looking for a "big name" player to fill the vacancy (Sue Bird, Taurasi), but there have been many examples of great players (Ted Williams, Michael Jordan to name a couple) who were among the GOATs but couldn't coach a lick.
Coaching (teaching) is a totally different skill set.
Looking forward to seeing what Ms. Valley can do!

Reaction Score
WELCOME!!!
From a former Wildcat Fan ( e.g. vintage: Steve Kerr ) and a current UCONN
devotee! Thanks for taking the position, Best Wishes!!!
Sincerely, ZARATHUSTRA ( 1883 )

Reaction Score
Remember BYers Morgan Valley was a GREAT HS BB player!
It only turned sour through many, many injuries all through her UCONN 4 years!
We never got to see the REAL player that Geno and CD recruited!
Between her real talent and her Asst. coaching experience she has a proven track record that can only lead to Morgan doing an outstanding job!

Reaction Score
Funny how Morgan’s coaching experience is more extensive and more varied than Jasmine Lister’s and Shea Ralph’s yet somehow this hire is viewed negatively. I don’t get it.
Speaking of experience, I wonder what the reaction was when Marisa Mosley joined the staff with I believe only 3 years experience as an AC. That turned out pretty well. These people complaining have no idea what the job involves or what people skills are required.

Reaction Score
My main question is; can Morgan recruit? Shea was a great recruiter for UCONN. Other then that I think Morgan is a great choice to replace Shea!
In today's game, the current players themselves (& Geno's brand) are mainly responsible for recruiting. Azzi wanted to play w/Paige. Saylor & Caroline want to play together. It started in the NBA (players recruiting other players) & now moving to the college game.

Reaction Score
My comments would not be positive and I do not want to discuss this any further. I made my position clear. If I cannot say anything good, I do not want to say it.
Just curious - is ”This was a poor decision” something “good” or did you give yourself a one time “If I cannot say anything good“ exemption?
Frankly, I never heard of Ms. Valley prior to this AC position opening up but everything in her background seems to indicate this was an outstanding hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom