New UConn Assistant Coach Morgan Valley | Page 6 | The Boneyard

New UConn Assistant Coach Morgan Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Coaching is about the only profession where someone who’s never met you and hasn’t played or coached a game in their lives has the chutzpah to criticize your hiring.

It would be like me showing up at a rock quarry and telling the guy on the bulldozer he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing. I’m guessing that wouldn’t go over very well.

Reaction Score
FWIW I am underwhelmed by the decision. It's not flashy or high profile - not like Samatha Washington going to Tennessee. She has no real track record of recruiting, and we've only heard sporadic reports of her ability to coach, yet as a wing/forward, apparently she will be tasked with coaching possibly the greatest guard tandem in WCBB history. Not saying she can't do it, or be awesome at it, but it seems obvious (to me) she's not a "perfect fit" from that perspective...

So yeah, on the surface, TO ME, it's not a great hire. BUT, Geno and CD have won 11 NC's and been to 14 consecutive final 4's, and built the greatest program in the history of the sport. The best in the business to put it mildly. My understanding is that Morgan is always incredibly prepared, and a tireless worker. I know she will give her heart and soul to be successful.

Not that he needs my endorsement, but I trust his and CD's judgment and if they feel Morgan was the best choice, then I support it 100%. Let's revisit this decision in a year or 3 and see how she does. Best wishes Morgan, and welcome!!
I wouldn't worry too much................sure, every player needs coaching as they transition from high school to college but if there were two players that could excel without a single word of advice during their four years of college ball it's PB and .......;)

Reaction Score
I can't slate those with reservations.

Change her name to Morgan Smith, place her four relatively nondescript years on the Louisville (or Stanford or Notre Dame or Rutgers or..) varsity. A post-graduation resume (as mentioned by others) displaying a 4-37 record as a head coach, including a 1-28 season - at best inauspicious at any level.

That applicant is then applying for the most prestigious women's college basketball assistant coaching position on the planet, at a state university funded by taxpayers and donations.

Perhaps the disappointment of those on here is more around that there most certainly were others with tad more propitious (on paper at least) qualifications?
were there? got any names?

Reaction Score
Coaching is about the only profession where someone who’s never met you and hasn’t played or coached a game in their lives has the chutzpah to criticize your hiring.

It would be like me showing up at a rock quarry and telling the guy on the bulldozer he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing. I’m guessing that wouldn’t go over very well.
There’s a lot of construction going on by my apartment complex. I know nothing about that field, but I still compliment the men on their work every time I go by. Truly amazing how friendly they are to a retired college professor. Those who live in glass houses should never throw stones.

Reaction Score
I can't slate those with reservations.

Change her name to Morgan Smith, place her four relatively nondescript years on the Louisville (or Stanford or Notre Dame or Rutgers or..) varsity. A post-graduation resume (as mentioned by others) displaying a 4-37 record as a head coach, including a 1-28 season - at best inauspicious at any level.

That applicant is then applying for the most prestigious women's college basketball assistant coaching position on the planet, at a state university funded by taxpayers and donations.

Perhaps the disappointment of those on here is more around that there most certainly were others with tad more propitious (on paper at least) qualifications?
Are you serious? this is not that deep. If Geno Auriemma wants to hire a former alum to his coaching staff then he can. He earned that right, for you and the other nut jobs that want to make this an "outrage" stop please! you're embarrassing yourself... Welcome aboard Morgan!!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

I am absolutely certain that I would not criticize a guy driving a bull dozer while i was standing next to said quarry and said bulldozer. :D
That was a great one oldude, painted a perfect picture!

Reaction Score
I liked Morgan as a player when she was here. She certainly gave everything she could, day in and day out. I'm one of those who was skeptical of her being a candidate for this job, and I remain so after the announcement. That said, Geno knows how to pick 'em, and if she is the one he wants, I'll stop there and, like all the rest of us, wish her the best of luck and wait to see how she does.

Reaction Score
My main question is; can Morgan recruit? Shea was a great recruiter for UCONN. Other then that I think Morgan is a great choice to replace Shea!
Exactly as I said earlier love her for everything she has to offer, but to me recruiting is the most important. The girls here will get better with her here, but she has to be able to bring in top talent. I’m not sold there, but what do I know.

Reaction Score
In today's game, the current players themselves (& Geno's brand) are mainly responsible for recruiting. Azzi wanted to play w/Paige. Saylor & Caroline want to play together. It started in the NBA (players recruiting other players) & now moving to the college game.
There always that lull in years after they are gone and Morgan will have to bring in some talent, I don’t know, maybe Geno won’t be here then anyways.

Reaction Score
I'm just wondering whether Vic Schaefer got this kind of "reviews" when as a head coach at Miss St left his players "high and dry" to take a job as a head coach at Texas. What are we talking about here, it's an assistant coaching position at UConn.
Of course not. Vic is part of the good ole boy/girl network, paid his dues as a long time assistant, he gets a pass for going "home" to coach. Oh wait, that's pretty much what Valley is doing.

Reaction Score
Exactly as I said earlier love her for everything she has to offer, but to me recruiting is the most important. The girls here will get better with her here, but she has to be able to bring in top talent. I’m not sold there, but what do I know.
What do you mean by "bring in top talent"? All four coaches need to be able to evaluate talent, just as they all need to be able to scout opponents. However, there is no need for all of them to be effective deal closers, if there is such a thing. As several posters have already said, top talent comes to UCONN because of its stunning record, its ability to make players better, especially top notch players, the number and quality of its grads who play in the WNBA, and the presence of the most gifted and successful head coach on the planet. And you are worried about whether a new assistant coach can convince folk to play at UCONN? :confused::confused::confused:

Reaction Score
It is really amazing to me how some posters can be so negative towards a coach without even giving that coach a chance to succeed! Lets at least wait until Morgan has been at UCONN two or three years to see how she does.

Reaction Score
As long as she got what she wanted. Screw the kids! Good for Morgan! What a great role model! Couldn't back up what she said when hired at Hartford!
So when do you suggest is a good time for a HC to leave a job?? If recruits come in every year, in theory she could never leave or she would "screw" the kids. People in regular jobs tell employers they are committed to that job and then leave without recourse, so why is a coach not allowed to do the same? Sounds like this is brining up an old wound because you're making this waaaay more personal than it has to be. Give it a break and just wish her well in her new position.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
A certain membership of the Boneyard has gone bonkers. Now some are trashing the hiring of an assistant coach?! An assistant? Give me a break. Morgan is a great person and is dedicated to basketball. She will be a wondeful addition to the staff and anyone thinking otherwise is out to lunch.

Reaction Score
Some here who are pooh-poohing Morgan's hiring were ecstatic over the hiring of Jasmine Lister for the same position. Morgan has much more coaching experience than Jasmine had when she was hired. Same can be said about UConn hiring Marisa. Why is that?
And 98% of them had no idea who she was or Mosely either. And some of them cited her ability to play with recruits on social media as a big plus. But now they need the second coming of Auriemma for an assistant? Please.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Teach them how to bail when the going gets tough! The young women aren't happy for her getting the UConn job. They're happy for a better Coach!
Dude. Seriously. Check your levels and lay off the disgruntled crank juice.

I can guarantee that all the people complaining about Morgan’s hire have never coached a dang thing in their life.

Reaction Score
She left that team high and dry after 2 crappy seasons. Just because you and other people are having a love fest. I'm just giving a strong opinion. To many people on this board act like you.
When would have been a good time for her to leave...when she got FIRED?!!

Reaction Score
You don't think that the 3rd assistant on a HOF coaching staff is the deciding factor on whether UConn brings in top talent do you?

Reaction Score
here's how to recruit -- "Hi my name is Megan and I'm from The University of Connecticut Women's basketball prog..." At about that time the recruit says "Where do I sign." Not really but you know what I mean. Be nice. No BS. Minutes and positions are earned and not promised. Top 23rd public institution. Oh, and you will get a chance to play for a championship before you graduate. To quote Aaliyah Edwards, "After all, it's UConn!"
Merely one typo. No big deal here.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For those harping on her record as a HC, it's not like she took over a power house program that's an easy place to win. They were trending downward when Jen left after a couple of good seasons and were never really that good before Jen was there. Also, the fact that they are downgrading from D1 to D3 may have been no secret to recruits and made it difficult to attract competitive talent. Her vast experience as AC makes her more than qualified for the job as....drum roll.....AC and she's familiar with the Uconn "culture" having played in their system for 4 seasons. I'm guessing the naysayers were looking for a "big name" that either had no experience in coaching (and it's being assumed that good player = good coach) or not looking to be someone's AC (i.e., either not interested in coaching or see AC as beneath what they're looking for).
Most UConn fans know about her past coaching experience. I’m a bit surprised that so many are more concerned about her past coaching success than her potential FUTURE coaching success. No one can change the past, but they can use that experience to be a better coach/leader/teacher/mentor in the future. I’m looking forward, not backwards. I’m thinking like the UPS commercial. What can Brown do for you? ?

Reaction Score
My main memory of MV as a player here is the 2003 BET title game at the RAC, when Nova went on a 12-0 run in the 2nd half to go from down 6 to up 6, win the game, end our 9-yr run as BEast champs and our 70-game win streak.

The Wildcats' Nicole Druckenmiller, some may recall, made a few killer 3s, while being guarded by the plantar fasciitis-suffering MV, during that critical stretch.

Many believe that loss actually served the team well as motivation for the NCAAT, which, of course, the Taurasi-led Huskies won! (#4, and 2nd of 3 consecutive).

Soooooo...All's well that ends well. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01