New UConn Assistant Coach Morgan Valley | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New UConn Assistant Coach Morgan Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A tip o‘ the turban to all of you "omniscient" Boneyard prognosticators that called this hire. ? Let's not forget that this was Geno's call. HE hired a person that he and his staff wanted to work with, not a person WE wanted them to work with. Geno and CD know her much better than we do, and are no doubt delighted to bring her on board.

All we know about her is what we read in the newspapers (Will Rogers). They know her personally. They know what she brings to the table. They’ve known her for years on a close personal level most of us never will. The question here is should Geno have hired a person HE wants, or a person some fans want? ? The answer to that question is obvious.

Geno hired a "good" person. If he’s happy, I’m happy!! Welcome back to Storrs Morgan Valley. We know you'll do a wonderful job! ;)
Exactly, I will give the HOF coach the benefit of the doubt. I always liked Morgan as a player, she has strong WCBB ties across the country. To knock this hire is just downright silly..

Reaction Score
I can't slate those with reservations.

Change her name to Morgan Smith, place her four relatively nondescript years on the Louisville (or Stanford or Notre Dame or Rutgers or..) varsity. A post-graduation resume (as mentioned by others) displaying a 4-37 record as a head coach, including a 1-28 season - at best inauspicious at any level.

That applicant is then applying for the most prestigious women's college basketball assistant coaching position on the planet, at a state university funded by taxpayers and donations.

Perhaps the disappointment of those on here is more around that there most certainly were others with tad more propitious (on paper at least) qualifications?

Reaction Score
If that's true (probably not but I'll play along) then it's a win-win for everyone and no need for anyone to be upset about it.
I tired of people like you and I just giving my opinion on the hire. I will say as a player at the college level Morgan should have played Div III.

Reaction Score
I'm just wondering whether Vic Schaefer got this kind of "reviews" when as a head coach at Miss St left his players "high and dry" to take a job as a head coach at Texas. What are we talking about here, it's an assistant coaching position at UConn.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
She left that team high and dry after 2 crappy seasons. Just because you and other people are having a love fest. I'm just giving a strong opinion. To many people on this board act like you.
Your anger about this topic is palpable. I suggest you refrain from posting on this topic further.

Reaction Score
So now let's attack Morgan the college player. Helpful.
That's part of her resume by people on here. You know you can't say anything different about her as a player.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
It must be in the air. I have noticed in recent time, that a number of people on the boneyard, have become so much smarter than Geno. Which is ok, but, he is the Uconn coach and you are not.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's not a fair or relevant comparison. Williams was hired as Tennessee's assistant coach and recruiting coordinator. Although Williams is not yet an Assoc Head Coach her position is like CD's. Morgan's hiring is more akin to Shea's, Jasmine's and Marisa's, though she has much more experience than they did when they were hired.
Doesn't have to be fair or relevant. It's a fact. It's not a splashy or high profile hire. Can't dispute that. Doesn't mean it's not a good or great hire. Having said that, it remains to be seen just how good a hire it is. Time will tell for sure!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno proved himself! Morgan hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to prove herself.

JE proved herself as a player and an AC winning 1NC as a player and 5 NCs as a AC! All at UConn! Go ahead and compare the resumes!
Geno had 3 jobs in 7 years, including 2 years at a HS, with 0 HC experience. The UConn AD was taking a chance on Geno in 1985, hoping to resuscitate the moribund WBB program at UConn. It proved to be the greatest hire in the history of WBB, but the idea that Geno proved himself and Morgan has not doesn’t hold water.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Damn. Did someone's BFF have aspersions to be an AC at UConn?

Seems like a lot of personal animosity directed at the new AC.

Thought to learn about the new AC on this thread. Apparently not. I'll be tagging this thread as "ignore". Just don't need this in my life.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Change her name to Morgan Smith, place her four relatively nondescript years on the Louisville (or Stanford or Notre Dame or Rutgers or..) varsity. A post-graduation resume (as mentioned by others) displaying a 4-37 record as a head coach, including a 1-28 season - at best inauspicious at any level.

That applicant is then applying for the most prestigious women's college basketball assistant coaching position on the planet, at a state university funded by taxpayers and donations.

Perhaps the disappointment of those on here is more around that there most certainly were others with tad more propitious (on paper at least) qualifications?
Hmmmm. You cite her nondescript performance as a player and her poor record as a HC, yet you neglect her experiences as an AC. Those experiences include being part of two building efforts (not rebuilding) to the FF for the first time for both schools. Considering she is to be an AC here, not a player or HC as your post might imply, that’s a pretty impressive resume. Certainly it is more impressive than Ralph’s resume as an AC before she was hired for the same position here.

I’m all for people making constructive criticisms, where they have feasible suggestions with solid evidence behind it. Tell me then, what feasible applicants out there have a better resume than helping build two different programs to reach the FF for the first time?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some here who are pooh-poohing Morgan's hiring were ecstatic over the hiring of Jasmine Lister for the same position. Morgan has much more coaching experience than Jasmine had when she was hired. Same can be said about UConn hiring Marisa. Why is that?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is a repeat about Morgan the player...from a long way back...but seems appropriate for today.

I was watching an AAU game in Albany and one player stood out. There was a lady sitting a few rows away and she was really into the game. I asked her if she knew who the stand-out was. She said that she might indeed...it was her daughter....Morgan Valley. I had never heard the name...no idea of her college interests. We chatted a bit about her play and Mom said the family had just left Storrs after a visit with Geno. Mom/Dad/Morgan/Ashley. My ears perked up and Mom was chatty.

She said that Morgan had gotten interest from UConn and thus their visit. They lived up near Burlington, Vt.
So...in the middle of their Geno chat, he offered her a scholarship....in their minds totally unexpected. This would have been in
June of her junior year. Family reaction...Morgan/Ashley/Mom in tears. Uhhh...maybe Dad was made of sterner stuff???
She mentioned that Vermont/Rutgers/Old Dominion...maybe more...had made offers to both daughters. ND and UConn only to Morgan with Geno indicating he would be back in a year regarding Ashley.

They were unexpectedly thrilled at the offer. Mom...amusingly...said that Morgan immediately began to ask Geno whether she was good enough to play at UConn. Geno said 'yes'. Morgan began to [almost] argue with him on the topic...'are you sure?'
At some point Geno became HIMSELF and told her to stop bugging him....he knew what he was talking about....end of story.
Later that summer she committed...wanted to play at the highest level.

Sidenote: her physical ailments greatly derailed her at UConn...maybe adding huge pressure from herself did not help.
Dee called her 'The Larry Bird of Vermont'. Meaning based on what I saw that she was not fast/not a jumper but had great shooting/passing skills and a work ethic second to none. I went to see her once in her senior year and, as has been posted here about Azzi and EDD, she was very entertaining to watch in warm-ups. From lay-ups to mid-range to trey balls she may have missed 2 shots.

Sidenote #2; somewhere early in her UConn career I read that she had been rooming with friend Dee [same class] but they had to be separated...too much arguing, too competitive. Love it!

Best wishes to Morgan in her new position...hope Mom will be down occasionally to see her daughter in action on the sidelines.
Great story. Made me wonder if Geno offered Morgan the AC job and she grilled him about whether or not she was “good enough” to coach at UConn. If so, I suspect Geno gave her the same answer he did when he recruited her in HS. “Stop bugging me. I know what I’m talking about. End of story.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She left that team high and dry after 2 crappy seasons. Just because you and other people are having a love fest. I'm just giving a strong opinion. To many people on this board act like you.
Are you though? A strong opinion might critique her resume or list other realistic choices. You seem to be taking this very personally, including a lot of unflattering speculation. I'm not sure why. You've made your point though. Perhaps it is time to move on?

Reaction Score

Change her name to Morgan Smith, place her four relatively nondescript years on the Louisville (or Stanford or Notre Dame or Rutgers or..) varsity.

What is your evidence that Morgan's 4+ years as an assistant at P5 programs were "nondescript"? Also you didn't mention the other nine years as an assistant at D1 mid-majors.

Perhaps GA has better info than you do.

Reaction Score
Some here who are pooh-poohing Morgan's hiring were ecstatic over the hiring of Jasmine Lister for the same position. Morgan has much more coaching experience than Jasmine had when she was hired. Same can be said about UConn hiring Marisa. Why is that?

Good question. Morgan has MUCH MORE experience than Jasmine and it is MUCH MORE varied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom