New transfer thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

New transfer thread

Reaction Score
Need to remember that not all NCAA sports have a requirement that transfers sit out a year. Perhaps the better question is why the difference among sports?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it is the exceptions which cause the confusion. For example, why should a coach change automatically make a transfer eligible? Also, the losing school invested, supposedly, in the development of the player, why should they not have a say especially if that development is taken form them by a rival? I would lean more toward an exception that considered playing time, if a player is not likely to play even a limited role in her present team game activities then should she be granted immediate eligibility. Guess what I am saying is exceptions led to confusion and interpretation, either let all non graduate transfers be eligible or make them all sit out a year.
Q: For example, why should a coach change automatically make a transfer eligible?
Because the coach that recruited you and the one you agreed to play for is gone. You now have to make a decision if you want to play for someone who did not or might not have recruited you.

Q: Also, the losing school invested, supposedly, in the development of the player, why should they not have a say especially if that development is taken form them by a rival?
A: Because this is the rule for all other college students. Non-athletes transfer at a greater rate than NCAA athletes. When than bright young student in the Chemistry department at Mississippi State decides to transfer is there someone telling him or her no you can't go to Ole Miss?
Should UCONN have been able to stop AEH from attending Mississippi States- you guys did ruin a perfect UCONN season.
Should TN be able to say no to Westbrook because TN has a rivalry with UCONN-allegedly.

C: I would lean more toward an exception that considered playing time, if a player is not likely to play even a limited role in her present team game activities then should she be granted immediate eligibility.
R: I would oppose this. "Not likely to play even a limited role, should have been factored into the decision to attend that school in the first place not a transfer decision. My experience is that as part of the recruiting process there are candid discussions/projections of roles, starting, depth chart etc. If a player is not living up to their projected role why reward then?

C: Guess what I am saying is exceptions led to confusion and interpretation, either let all non graduate transfers be eligible or make them all sit out a year.
R: I agree that's why I proposing are black and white rules=no exceptions.
[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
I think all players should be able to transfer without sitting out no matter the circumstance, the only exceptions would be if you transfer within the same conference or if you were dismissed for behavior. This is if I were the head of NCAA committee and I’m not so...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Re: "The NCAA has ruled differently for two players transferring from the same school before."
The lack of explanation will make for more BY musings of unfairness, UCONN bias, ND favoritism, etc

And the NCAA has ruled differently for two players transferring into the same school before. While it was a different sport, the ND athletic department -- at virtually the same time period as Jess Shepard -- also put a petition into the NCAA for immediate eligibility for Alohi Gilman, a safety who transferred from the Naval Academy, a school that Notre Dame might have the closest working relationship with over the years.
It was denied and although there was talk of appealing (see link), Gilman didn't play that year. However, he joined the Irish the next year and was a huge contributor to the defensive backfield. Once again, who knows why one and not the other, but I bring it up to show one particular school also wins some, loses some.

Notre Dame safety Alohi Gilman denied immediate eligibility

Well I completely disagree with your post!
1. ND and Navy DEFINITELY have the closest working relationship going back to WW2 and it is an awesome relationship at that! Kudos to both institutions.
2. The Jessica Shepard waiver is mythical here in the Boneyard where truth and fact never get in the way of a good conspiracy narrative. Shepard tried to make the new coaching regime at Nebraska work after the Yori situation but elected to move on and the Nebraska coaches and school endorsed her transfer. IMO, the NCAA would have ruled her eligible anywhere, Unfortunately for us, it was to ND. Therefore we BYers complain about it for illogical reasons.
I started out my response in jest as I do agree and understand your post. While I care greatly for my peers here, the perceived bias, favoritisms and conspiracies are a bit extreme. I do enjoy poking fun at the myth but I do not for one second believe it. Now if the NCAA denies Evina, well that’s another story....:mad:

Reaction Score
2. The Jessica Shepard waiver is mythical here in the Boneyard where truth and fact never get in the way of a good conspiracy narrative. Shepard tried to make the new coaching regime at Nebraska work after the Yori situation but elected to move on and the Nebraska coaches and school endorsed her transfer. IMO, the NCAA would have ruled her eligible anywhere, Unfortunately for us, it was to ND. Therefore we BYers complain about it for illogical reasons.
I started out my response in jest as I do agree and understand your post. While I care greatly for my peers here, the perceived bias, favoritisms and conspiracies are a bit extreme. I do enjoy poking fun at the myth but I do not for one second believe it. Now if the NCAA denies Evina, well that’s another story....:mad:
No conspiracy theory here, but if Shepard's case was such a no-brainer, then why did the NCAA originally decline the waiver request and only approve it after ND appealed?

Reaction Score
Q: For example, why should a coach change automatically make a transfer eligible?
Because the coach that recruited you and the one you agreed to play for is gone. You now have to make a decision if you want to play for someone who did not or might not have recruited you.
Coco, what if a coach dies, decides to take another job, just decides to retire, or an assistant coach, your coach, decides to leave, can the player transfer with immediate eligibility!
Q: Also, the losing school invested, supposedly, in the development of the player, why should they not have a say especially if that development is taken form them by a rival?
A: Because this is the rule for all other college students. Non-athletes transfer at a greater rate than NCAA athletes. When than bright young student in the Chemistry department at Mississippi State decides to transfer is there someone telling him or her no you can't go to Ole Miss?
Should UCONN have been able to stop AEH from attending Mississippi States- you guys did ruin a perfect UCONN season.
Should TN be able to say no to Westbrook because TN has a rivalry with UCONN-allegedly.
Lots of difference between ordinary student and athletic scholarship student, the ordinary chemistry student leaving school does not affect the university chemistry department but a basketball transfer can, as for AEH, I never have understood the difference between Promise Taylor sitting a year and AEH not. I suppose you are referring to the semi final loss but that is just basketball. Westbrook, do not know but it is my understanding that today that is the case.
C: I would lean more toward an exception that considered playing time, if a player is not likely to play even a limited role in her present team game activities then should she be granted immediate eligibility.
R: I would oppose this. "Not likely to play even a limited role, should have been factored into the decision to attend that school in the first place not a transfer decision. My experience is that as part of the recruiting process there are candid discussions/projections of roles, starting, depth chart etc. If a player is not living up to their projected role why reward then?
I do not think any player, good enough to be recruited by an elite team, really expects to sit on the bench but HS and elite college basketball are different games and I certainly do not see transferring from an elite team, in essence admitting you are not as good as you thought, is a reward for the player.
C: Guess what I am saying is exceptions led to confusion and interpretation, either let all non graduate transfers be eligible or make them all sit out a year.
R: I agree that's why I proposing are black and white rules=no exceptions.
Again exceptions lead to confusion. Sitting out a year, without losing any eligibility, allows the player and university time to evaluate the player and team chemistry.
[/QUOTE]

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
re: Shepard, then why wasn't Chandler Smith granted immediate eligibility when she transferred from Nebraska to Gonzaga? She had to sit a year.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
No conspiracy theory here, but if Shepard's case was such a no-brainer, then why did the NCAA originally decline the waiver request and only approve it after ND appealed?
The conspiracy theory postulates that only ND would receive the waiver, which we don’t know. If you want to put together a full list waiver requests, denials and appeals with only ND being granted than we can agree.
Until that point, to say there is bias is silly.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
any new transfers?
tfw you just joined Notre Dame but they're still talking about Jess Shepard

"Go on tell me more about the waiver process. I'm fascinated, I promise."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
tfw you just joined Notre Dame but they're still talking about Jess Shepard

View attachment 43434

"Go on tell me more about the waiver process. I'm fascinated, I promise."

No offense to any Irish fans.... but thats a ugly shirt... again... no offense. Im a big under armour supporter.... but when it comes to college apparel, they dont do a good job.

Reaction Score
No offense to any Irish fans.... but thats a ugly shirt... again... no offense. Im a big under armour supporter.... but when it comes to college apparel, they dont do a good job.
Haha. I use Under Armour stuff a lot to work out, and some of it has migrated into my casual wear, since their lightweight heat gear is comfy here in the AZ desert. But there are just some things that Christian Dior, Ralph Loren or Gianni Versace couldn’t dress up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is this becoming a habit? First Thompson, now this.
Yes, Stanford PGs who are looking for a change of venue after graduation seem to wind up at Notre Dame. I believe that, in Marta's case at least, there was no scholarship for her to return to Stanford.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
re: Shepard, then why wasn't Chandler Smith granted immediate eligibility when she transferred from Nebraska to Gonzaga? She had to sit a year.
Chandler Smith transferred BEFORE the coaching change at Nebraska and before the NCAA starting getting tidal waves of transfers, losing it's draconian grip on illogical rules. Smith left after the14-15 season and Natalie Romeo left after the 15-16 season (Yori was fired) and was granted immediate playing at UW (as you well know). Shepard gave the new coaches a year (2016-17) then asked to transfer. 3 players, 1 left before a coaching change and before the alleged (and supported) abuse came to light, 2 left after it was publicized. To me, this is exactly why the NCAA should grant immediate eligibility-you never know the reasons why players and in this case one was penalized unfairly. :)

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Chandler Smith transferred BEFORE the coaching change at Nebraska and before the NCAA starting getting tidal waves of transfers, losing it's draconian grip on illogical rules. Smith left after the14-15 season and Natalie Romeo left after the 15-16 season (Yori was fired) and was granted immediate playing at UW (as you well know). Shepard gave the new coaches a year (2016-17) then asked to transfer. 3 players, 1 left before a coaching change and before the alleged (and supported) abuse came to light, 2 left after it was publicized. To me, this is exactly why the NCAA should grant immediate eligibility-you never know the reasons why players and in this case one was penalized unfairly. :)

Dang it, in my mind I always thought Smith and Romeo left Nebraska at the same time. Thanks for the correction. Smith was just prescient in knowing about Yori. :cool: What's weird is Smith left first but was still playing 2 years after Romeo's last season (Romeo only played 1 year at UW and had to retire due to injuries).

Reaction Score
LSU post player Monet Jones is now in the portal. No clue why she was on the team last year when she got kicked off right before school started then got suspended multiple times.

She did have a bunch of offers from Big 12 schools.

Reaction Score
Esmery Martinez got her release from Mississippi State.

Woah, what happened there? She has a lot of ability. Some money open now for State if they want to make another addition...

Very odd timing

Reaction Score
Woah, what happened there? She has a lot of ability. Some money open now for State if they want to make another addition...
I like Martinez’s game a lot, and I think she was recently back home in the DR, so perhaps she talked it over with her family and realized it wasn’t the fit. Very interested to see who picks her up.

This may hurt State’s chances with Cardoso and Hayes.

She also had a really weird commitment timeline, which was suspect.

Reaction Score
Very disappointed about E Martinez. However with her coming off the knee injury it would have been difficult for her to play this season. Therefore I think she sits no matter where she attends. I wish her the best. She looks to be an excellent player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom