New transfer thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

New transfer thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
1) The NCAA has ruled differently for two players transferring from the same school before. Chatrice White and Brooke Kissinger both transferred from Illinois in 2016. White was made immediately eligible at FSU and Kissinger had to sit out a year at Creighton.

2) As angry as our little Italian guy can be, he cannot get more angry than the little Philly PG coaching South Carolina. Dawn was pretty angry when Cooper waiver was denied and advised the family to "lawyer up". She also accused ND of "lying" in the waiver application. Geno is not going to waste any energy on this. He will put the best case forward. If the decision goes against him he will suit up the players available and go win games. Geno might mix in a snide remark or two but that will be about it.

3) The NCAA does not publicly explain these decisions. The lack of explanation will make for more BY musings of unfairness, UCONN bias, ND favoritism, etc. An "uproar" will be kind of pointless though.

4) Eva Westbrook will follow Geno's lead. Failure to do otherwise would make that angry Italian bear you describe her reality.
Agree with points 2-4. As for your first point, do we know that both Creighton and FSU sought waivers for their respective transfers from Illinois?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree with points 2-4. As for your first point, do we know that both Creighton and FSU sought waivers for their respective transfers from Illinois?
I am not certain that Creighton submitted a waiver request.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
1) The NCAA has ruled differently for two players transferring from the same school before. Chatrice White and Brooke Kissinger both transferred from Illinois in 2016. White was made immediately eligible at FSU and Kissinger had to sit out a year at Creighton.

3) The NCAA does not publicly explain these decisions. The lack of explanation will make for more BY musings of unfairness, UCONN bias, ND favoritism, etc. An "uproar" will be kind of pointless though.

Re: "The NCAA has ruled differently for two players transferring from the same school before."
The lack of explanation will make for more BY musings of unfairness, UCONN bias, ND favoritism, etc

And the NCAA has ruled differently for two players transferring into the same school before. While it was a different sport, the ND athletic department -- at virtually the same time period as Jess Shepard -- also put a petition into the NCAA for immediate eligibility for Alohi Gilman, a safety who transferred from the Naval Academy, a school that Notre Dame might have the closest working relationship with over the years.
It was denied and although there was talk of appealing (see link), Gilman didn't play that year. However, he joined the Irish the next year and was a huge contributor to the defensive backfield. Once again, who knows why one and not the other, but I bring it up to show one particular school also wins some, loses some.

Notre Dame safety Alohi Gilman denied immediate eligibility

Reaction Score
I’m very interested to see if the NCAA will be fair in the decisions they make to grant immediately eligibility to each player that’s going to request a waiver.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m very interested to see if the NCAA will be fair in the decisions they make to grant immediately eligibility to each player that’s going to request a waiver.
What do you consider a "fair" decision?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No state seems to take wrapping everything in its state flag more seriously than Maryland does.
Tell me about, I work weekly down here in Baltimore and it’s everywhere and gawd ugly.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Returning home only is a factor for medical reasons, if a family member is ill. The NCAA will grant both waiver requests or they will grant neither.

With Mark Emmert in charge, there's never any guarantee of anything when UCONN is involved.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
The PR I am referring to would be the uproar that would develop should the NCAA grant one waiver request and not the other for each of the two TN transfers. Reporters would call them out on it and, if the waiver not granted was Evina’s, they would be dealing with one angry Italian who would be an absolute bear to deal with. Finally, Eva Westbrook doesn’t strike me as a shrinking violet. I think she would go after the NCAA with everything she has in support of her daughter.

We're dealing with the NCAA here. They don't care. Emmert would merely be amused if Geno goes ballistic.

Reaction Score
What do you consider a "fair" decision?
Follow the rules all the time. IMO, the NCAA is not consistent in regards to non graduate transfers and that is what has lead to the confusion.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Makes sense that Marta would go from an Academic school to another (Notre Dame). Also her major is American Studies, not a Hard Science . Don't know what her Major will be at Notre Dame, but they probably have a program that fits her. If it was a Hard Science they may not have. American Studies, might she decide to go to the Notre Dame Law School.

According to one ND reporter, Marta Sniezek to ND is imminent.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We're dealing with the NCAA here. They don't care. Emmert would merely be amused if Geno goes ballistic.
No, the NCAA really does care about negative publicity, which is one of the reasons why they’ve made arbitrary decisions in the past. I am absolutely certain they will not grant a waiver to one TN player while denying a waiver to the other.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Follow the rules all the time. IMO, the NCAA is not consistent in regards to non graduate transfers and that is what has lead to the confusion.
That's just it, the NCAA does not have "rules" just a set of guidelines. Additionally the NCAA does not publish any rationale for us to determine how the guidelines were applied. I'm all in favor of a hard fast rule and the elimination of the current guidelines.

Reaction Score
That's just it, the NCAA does not have "rules" just a set of guidelines. Additionally the NCAA does not publish any rationale for us to determine how the guidelines were applied. I'm all in favor of a hard fast rule and the elimination of the current guidelines.
Tend to agree with you, if there are rules they are difficult to understand, especially for non graduate players. One easy way to solve this is treat all transfers the same, I.e., all transfers, including graduates, sit out a year, I personally do not favor a rule like that. I do think graduates should be immediately eligible. I would think a simple way to handle non graduates would be a rule that offers no exceptions, all non graduate transfers sit out 1 year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Makes sense that Marta would go from an Academic school to another (Notre Dame). Also her major is American Studies, not a Hard Science . Don't know what her Major will be at Notre Dame, but they probably have a program that fits her. If it was a Hard Science they may not have. American Studies, might she decide to go to the Notre Dame Law School.

I don't know what she intends to study at a grad level in the one year of eligibility that she has. However, ND has an American Studies department, as well, which I know pretty well (my daughter was an Am. Stud. major in 2018). There are numerous other grad programs in the Art's and Letters College that she could pursue, if so inclined. And I've been informed by a McGraw's Bench colleague that ND has a unique grad. degree of business from the Mendoza School of Business.

BTW, here's a link to the (now) official announcement:
Marta Sniezek Transfers to Notre Dame - UND Athletics

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tend to agree with you, if there are rules they are difficult to understand, especially for non graduate players. One easy way to solve this is treat all transfers the same, I.e., all transfers, including graduates, sit out a year, I personally do not favor a rule like that. I do think graduates should be immediately eligible. I would think a simple way to handle non graduates would be a rule that offers no exceptions, all non graduate transfers sit out 1 year.
I have some other guidelines in mind that could be implemented as rules:
1) Coaching Changes- If the Coach leaves or get fired transferred players should be made immediate eligible vs. the current guideline that says "circumstances beyond the control of the player".
2) Hardship-if you transfer closer to your home location you should be immediately eligible vs. most of the exceptions that are in place for parents job transfers or sick relatives, etc.
3) Academic- If you left your old school in good academic standing and progress towards graduation you should be able play immediately at the new school vs. the current farce which the NCAA pretends and has the nerve to call "year in academic residence". Alternately the NCAA could implemented a GPA cutoff- (2.67 or B-). Above the line means immediate eligibility.
4) Old school get no say- Eliminate the guideline where the old school can block the request for immediate eligibility.

UConnNick

Reaction Score

I believe the rule regarding grad transfers requires them to major in a field of study not available as a grad major at their former school. It doesn't appear difficult to do, but I imagine there may be grad transfers that majored in something they didn't particularly care about or need.

Reaction Score
I have some other guidelines in mind that could be implemented as rules:
1) Coaching Changes- If the Coach leaves or get fired transferred players should be made immediate eligible vs. the current guideline that says "circumstances beyond the control of the player".
2) Hardship-if you transfer closer to your home location you should be immediately eligible vs. most of the exceptions that are in place for parents job transfers or sick relatives, etc.
3) Academic- If you left your old school in good academic standing and progress towards graduation you should be able play immediately at the new school vs. the current farce which the NCAA pretends and has the nerve to call "year in academic residence". Alternately the NCAA could implemented a GPA cutoff- (2.67 or B-). Above the line means immediate eligibility.
4) Old school get no say- Eliminate the guideline where the old school can block the request for immediate eligibility.
I think it is the exceptions which cause the confusion. For example, why should a coach change automatically make a transfer eligible? Also, the losing school invested, supposedly, in the development of the player, why should they not have a say especially if that development is taken form them by a rival? I would lean more toward an exception that considered playing time, if a player is not likely to play even a limited role in her present team game activities then should she be granted immediate eligibility. Guess what I am saying is exceptions led to confusion and interpretation, either let all non graduate transfers be eligible or make them all sit out a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom