New school commitments by Transfers | Page 35 | The Boneyard

New school commitments by Transfers

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

LOL at the wasted effort by Reese on social media trying to deny a tweet from someone else that she had chosen to transfer LSU. Guess she delayed her announcement by a few days just to try and create some intrigue and suspense.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
When Baylor hired Collen it sounded like Smith and Egbo were happy to stay because they would get the opportunity to play on the perimeter more or just expand their game in general. Going from Maryland offense which is more like Baylor new offense under Collen, to LSU offense is a choice though because there is probably a reason Smith and Egbo didn't follow Mulkey to LSU.
I recall NaLyssa tweeting about how unhappy she was that Mulkey was leaving Baylor. Not that she didn't welcome Collen after she was hired, but I'm pretty sure she would have preferred Mulkey having remained the head coach at Baylor.

Reaction Score
I think many are looking at extremes by assuming Reese wants to play solely on the perimeter as a 2 or a 3. At Maryland she almost exclusively played the 5 out of positional need. That’s probably not the bane of her professional career at 6’3”, so perhaps she’s headed to LSU to become more of a stretch-4? If so, that would seem to make sense for all involved.

Reaction Score
I recall NaLyssa tweeting about how unhappy she was that Mulkey was leaving Baylor. Not that she didn't welcome Collen after she was hired, but I'm pretty sure she would have preferred Mulkey having remained the head coach at Baylor.
NaLyssa was IRATE I remember that

Reaction Score
I think many are looking at extremes by assuming Reese wants to play solely on the perimeter as a 2 or a 3. At Maryland she almost exclusively played the 5 out of positional need. That’s probably not the bane of her professional career at 6’3”, so perhaps she’s headed to LSU to become more of a stretch-4? If so, that would seem to make sense for all involved.
Yeah I think her and her mom have said she wants to play a stretch 4. But you can't play that if you can't "stretch" defenses. Rooting for her but still need some convincing that that's her best position long term.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
No. Kim does not have a good record of developing perimeter game of post players or preparing post players for WNBA. Only Baylor post player under Kim who succeeded in WNBA has been Griner.

Both Nalyssa and Queen have stated several times how much their perimeter game improved with Collen. Unless Kim’s coaching style has changed, it will be very interesting to see how it works out for Reese at LSU…….
NaLyssa went 9-38 on 3-point shooting (23.6%) this past season under Collen, and 3-14 (21.4%) the previous season under Mulkey.

Personally, I always recall NaLyssa having pretty good mid-range shooting abilities while Mulkey was still at Baylor.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Baylor was a senior heavy team last year and most those girls were on the brink of graduating as well. Plus I recall Egbo saying many stayed because they believe they had the talent and experience returning to compete for a natty. Kim went to a school that was in the dumps with a losing record

Collen did a good job recruiting those players to stay
That's the main reason I think Smith and Egbo stayed; not much to do with Collen, IMO. Rising seniors on the verge of graduating from their current schools have to be cautious of all their credits transferring to a new school, and how that could affect their graduation date.

Reaction Score
That's the main reason I think Smith and Egbo stayed; not much to do with Collen, IMO. Rising seniors on the verge of graduating from their current schools have to be cautious of all their credits transferring to a new school, and how that could affect their graduation date.
I don't like slamming a coach not knowing what goes on behind the scenes but regardless. Smith and Egbo were smart to do what they need to do to get their degrees. They would not have graduated this year if they transferred due to transfer in credits. I assumed both were knowing they were wanting to hit the WNBA after this season.

Reaction Score
Nalyssa's mom went off on Kim after she took the LSU job on her social media, saying Kim ruined the players futures by leaving, she eventually took the post down. I saw multiple Baylor players (Smith, Egbo, Bickle) liked that post then unfollowed her after after she took the LSU job.

But I get it, I imagine a lot of players wouldnt be happy that you go to a school due to a staff that invested in you only to leave. Quite frankly no one, even Kim probably knew she would end up at LSU. It all transpired pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
Personally, I always recall NaLyssa having pretty good mid-range shooting abilities while Mulkey was still at Baylor.
Nalyssa had a pretty developed mid range game as a true freshmen. She improved her game though every year though her career at Baylor. Her last two years she got much better with her hook shot and low post moves near the rim

Not exactly sure though what changed with Egbo, she always had a solid jump shot but I would say my biggest issue with her is her inconsistency.

Reaction Score
Reese will not be shooting much 3s under Kim. And I think she will be okay with that. She will continue to develop a midrange shot under Kim though. Which will help her big time. And the team. Which will see zones a lot from teams outside of South Carolina

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Huge pickup for LSU. This was thought to be the case a few weeks ago but was unconfirmed and disputed. Now that it’s official, it helps shed some light on the Martinez situation IMO.
We all that thought it was "official" when Esmery signed with LSU! :p

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought Martinez (PF) and Reese (SF) would co-exist very well at LSU in the same lineup. Definitely would have been a strong rebounding duo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought Martinez (PF) and Reese (SF) would co-exist very will at LSU in the same lineup. Definitely would have been a strong rebounding duo.
Where is Esmery these days? With her track record, she's uncommitted until I see her take the court!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I was going to say I couldn't imagine Reese becoming a decent jump shooter because her arms flex like Gumby...even on layups. THEN...you mention Davis....so, it's possible. lol
In all fairness to Mulkey, she did a great job developing Sophia Young, IIRC. And, Lauren Cox got better each season once she was fully healthy.

Reaction Score
Reese will not be shooting much 3s under Kim. And I think she will be okay with that. She will continue to develop a midrange shot under Kim though. Which will help her big time. And the team. Which will see zones a lot from teams outside of South Carolina
I agree. A Reese obviously chose Coach Mulkey and felt comfortable she could develop her and trusts her judgment in that regard.

Reaction Score

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought Martinez (PF) and Reese (SF) would co-exist very will at LSU in the same lineup. Definitely would have been a strong rebounding duo.
I agree there. They would have almost been interchangeable. I think Coach Mulkey is still shopping. Who are the remaining top targets?

Reaction Score
“Where did Reese say she wanted to only shoot 3’s? Her quotes are about developing a midrange shot something that most BY’s agree she needs to do.”

Reese wants to be a “big guard.” She wants to shoot 3s — I didn’t say how many — and play on the perimeter.

Reese is a hard worker and I have no doubt she’ll spend this summer working on her shot. But it is a flat shot and it takes a while to load up. If defenders are giving her 16-footers and she’s making 35% of them when she could be around 60% at the rim, that helps no one.

Plus her greatest asset is her offensive rebounding ability. The more she strays from the paint, the less effective that becomes.
Correct me if I’m wrong but You did not mention anything in your orig post except shooting 3’s as what she wants to do. Maybe at MD she felt they did not help her with “flat shot & load time”. Hell it’s not what your call yourself it’s what you can do. Reese has clearly shown she can guard 1-5 & by all accounts wants to develop a midrange. Let’s just see what happens. Go Terps regardless

Reaction Score
Correct me if I’m wrong but You did not mention anything in your orig post except shooting 3’s as what she wants to do. Maybe at MD she felt they did not help her with “flat shot & load time”. Hell it’s not what your call yourself it’s what you can do. Reese has clearly shown she can guard 1-5 & by all accounts wants to develop a midrange. Let’s just see what happens. Go Terps regardless
She’s a great teammate and she’ll do what she has to to help LSU win. But she left MD because she didn’t like playing in the post. She took 3s when she was open even though Frese didn’t want her to. I think her and her mom wanted a more South Carolina-like offense for her with two bigs.

I know Angel’s a big A’ja Wilson fan. If Angel masters those midrange shots that AW hits, great. But she wants to play more like she did in HS/AAU, when she was initiating on the perimeter. That’s a lot tougher in college when you can’t muscle past SEC defenders or make them pay with jumpers.

Reaction Score
She’s a great teammate and she’ll do what she has to to help LSU win. But she left MD because she didn’t like playing in the post. She took 3s when she was open even though Frese didn’t want her to. I think her and her mom wanted a more South Carolina-like offense for her.

Maybe I’m just too hung up on “modern offense” but I know Angel’s a big Aja Wilson fan. If Angel masters those midrange shots, great. But she wants to play more like she did in HS/AAU, when she was initiating on the perimeter. That’s a lot tougher in college when you can’t run past people or make them pay with jumpers.
Well she certainly won't be running the offense most the time (she will obviously has plays where she can initiate) but thats ain't gonna happen under Kim. Heck it wouldn't happen at SC either if she transferred there. You got to play to your strength's and capabilities, not play like its a video game.

But mid range game would be a nice to build on for her. If there is anything Kim generally likes to have, she likes mid range jump shooters so maybe that is something they can build on.

I would like to think Reese knew what she was getting into. Knowing Kim, I can guarantee she didn't promise her she could do all these things. Its about the team first and what it needs for them as a whole to be successful.

Reaction Score
Nalyssa's mom went off on Kim after she took the LSU job on her social media, saying Kim ruined the players futures by leaving, she eventually took the post down. I saw multiple Baylor players (Smith, Egbo, Bickle) liked that post then unfollowed her after after she took the LSU job.

But I get it, I imagine a lot of players wouldnt be happy that you go to a school due to a staff that invested in you only to leave. Quite frankly no one, even Kim probably knew she would end up at LSU. It all transpired pretty quickly.
Kim left because of the AD, so that's the person the players need to blame.

Reaction Score
Well she certainly won't be running the offense most the time (she will obviously has plays where she can initiate) but thats ain't gonna happen under Kim. Heck it wouldn't happen at SC either if she transferred there. You got to play to your strength's and capabilities, not play like its a video game.

But mid range game would be a nice to build on for her. If there is anything Kim generally likes to have, she likes mid range jump shooters so maybe that is something they can build on.

I would like to think Reese knew what she was getting into. Knowing Kim, I can guarantee she didn't promise her she could do all these things. Its about the team first and what it needs for them as a whole to be successful.
It will be very interesting to see how it works out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom