New school commitments by Transfers | Page 29 | The Boneyard

New school commitments by Transfers

Reaction Score
That was Copeland but she left LSU after Nikki left

Still a odd situation. Angel Reese visited yesterday so something is going on…

They literally announced her a week ago
Seems like visits are set up in advance so why would Esmery make a commitment a week ago to only go on another visit 7 days later. If/when did she find out Reese was coming in for a LSU visit. Maybe Reese coming in had nothing to do with her AZ visit. These kids sure know how to drive us fans crazy lol well actually some of us might already be crazy without them lol.

Reaction Score
Seems like visits are set up in advance so why would Esmery make a commitment a week ago to only go on another visit 7 days later. If/when did she find out Reese was coming in for a LSU visit. Maybe Reese coming in had nothing to do with her AZ visit. These kids sure know how to drive us fans crazy lol well actually some of us might already be crazy without them lol.
She signed a week ago but now is back out taking visits? Seems like she was released from her signing.

I get what Southie is saying but I have a difficult time seeing how it could be legal to still participate in recruiting trips even after signing with a school(even as a grad transfer). Doesn’t seem correct

Copeland signed with LSU as a grad transfer last summer. After Nikki stepped down, she got a release then transferred to Arizona. At least that makes sense, something is weird going on here

Reaction Score
This definitely closes the gap between VPI and Duke in the ACC standings.
I love ya triad, but I do wish you’d refer to Virginia Tech by their current name. I know the history, but they’re not VPI anymore. I’m sure I’m a bit touchy, ‘cause my favorite grandson graduated from Tech a couple of years ago. But I can’t hate you, ‘cause my son got his PhD from Duke and spent many hours in tent city while there.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She signed a week ago but now is back out taking visits? Seems like she was released from her signing.

I get what Southie is saying but I have a difficult time seeing how it could be legal to still participate in recruiting trips even after signing with a school(even as a grad transfer). Doesn’t seem correct

Copeland signed with LSU as a grad transfer last summer. After Nikki stepped down, she got a release then transferred to Arizona. At least that makes sense, something is weird going on here
It was strange to us, too. I might have mis-spoken thinking it had to do with being a grad-transfer. I went back and looked, and this is what someone I trust had informed me about 2 years ago:

Athletic Scholarship Agreement (ASA) is only binding for the school and not the athlete (unlike an NCAA Letter of Intent).

And, since you can only sign a letter of intent once, Martinez would only have been able to sign an ASA with LSU. Ironically, after Martinez signed her LOI with Miss. State her senior year in high school, she was given her release. She then ended up signing an ASA with Texas; an official announcement of her addition was made, and she appeared on the Texas hoops roster. Weeks later she was removed from the roster, and we read that she had signed (an ASA) with West Virginia. So, she obviously knows the rules very well by now . . .

Reaction Score
It was strange to us, too. I might have mis-spoken thinking it had to do with being a grad-transfer. I went back and looked, and this is what someone I trust had informed me about 2 years ago:

Athletic Scholarship Agreement (ASA) is only binding for the school and not the athlete (unlike an NCAA Letter of Intent).

And, since you can only sign a letter of intent once, Martinez would only have been able to sign an ASA with LSU. Ironically, after Martinez was released from LOI with Miss. State her senior year in high school, she was given her release. She then ended up signing an ASA with Texas, an official announcement of her addition was made, and she appeared on the Texas hoops roster. Weeks later she was removed the roster, and we read that she had signed (an ASA) with West Virginia. So, she obviously knows the rules very well by now . . .
Lord… I can’t keep track anymore. The fact that she has now done this twice smh

Reaction Score
FRos_rKWUAMtOrF
Maybe she signed with invisible ink?

Reaction Score

I was wondering if she was going to try to move to Syracuse and follow her coach.

Got to see her play last season in Canada. She played for Lincoln Prep in the OSBA.
She's a decent guard. Is she able to keep up in the ACC? Not sure.

Reaction Score
Is she intending to be a grad-transfer?

When Karen Aston was still the head coach at Texas (2019), an official announcement by the school was released that Harvard grad-transfer, Katie Benzan had signed her paperwork in November 2019 to play for Texas the following season. Then, Aston was let go in April 2020, and Vic Schaefer was announced as Texas' new head coach. A week or so later, Maryland issued an official announcement that Benzan had "signed" with Maryland.

What we learned at that time is that a school is bound to a grad-transfer who signs their paperwork, but the grad-transfer is not bound to the school she signed with. In other words, grad-transfer can continue with their "recruitment" as if they had never signed any paperwork with said school.
Very interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

I remember the Katie Benzan situation well.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I love ya triad, but I do wish you’d refer to Virginia Tech by their current name. I know the history, but they’re not VPI anymore. I’m sure I’m a bit touchy, ‘cause my favorite grandson graduated from Tech a couple of years ago. But I can’t hate you, ‘cause my son got his PhD from Duke and spent many hours in tent city while there.
+1 to this. Alternatively, we could start calling @triaddukefan triadnormalschoolfan, if we're inclined to disregard present day naming conventions. Or maybe even triadtrinityfan, if we want to err on the side of redundancy! :p

Reaction Score
As far as athletics are concerned...doesn't their cheer, fight song or whatever it's called these days still reference VPI? And outside of athletics...it's part of the school seal.

Reaction Score

I was wondering if she was going to try to move to Syracuse and follow her coach.

Got to see her play last season in Canada. She played for Lincoln Prep in the OSBA.
Looks like she can get after it on defense. While Syracuse rebuilds...defense may be more important than offense or at least equally important.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Too bad we don't play Syracuse. A favorite moment is seeing Donovan with mouth agape as Kia Nurse and her huskies demolish his alma mater:)

Reaction Score

This helps to bolster the guard position at Michigan. I wonder who they're targeting in regards to forwards or posts.
The front court doesn't really have anyone to pick up where Hillmon left off. They lost one of their freshman to the portal and I only recall them bringing in guards with their 2022 class.

Reaction Score
The lady doth protest too much, me thinks.

Sundown headed your way....

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This definitely closes the gap between VPI and Duke in the ACC standings.
Wait, what? VPI was already better than Duke as they still have the reigning ACC Player of the Year and something called “chemistry”.

And as we are on a UConn forum, any school references that can annoy other schools like UNCheat or VPI or the initials of a former coach (MM) I am 100% in favor of….

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Going from the gloomy rust belt to sunny San Diego sounds like a win to me. No disrespect to the rust belt.

Reaction Score
As far as athletics are concerned...doesn't their cheer, fight song or whatever it's called these days still reference VPI? And outside of athletics...it's part of the school seal.
Didn’t know that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom