New PAC-12 Forming | Page 37 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
The PAC is looking to become the de facto P5 in all sports. It looks like it is shaping up to be the ACC west ( before the ACC added Pacific Coast teams) in its approach. Solid if not spectacular football and very good basketball. The football side doesn’t have an FSU or Clemson, but it does have teams that are potentially top 25 most years as well as a potential CFP invite occasionally. In some ways they are the Big East after Miami and VaTech left.

On the basketball side they are a 3-6 bid league every year. Wouldn’t be a shock to see San Diego State emerge as the second real power program in that league. They are pretty close now. One wonders how deep they would have gone last year if they hadn’t met UConn in the sweet 16.
Who impresses you? Boise State? In basketball?

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
The new PAC, in basketball, has one great program (Gonzaga) and one good program (SDSU). The others had a nice year or two run recently. But come on, Boise State, Utah State, Colorado State are far from annual tournament participants. Last year's Mountain West was perfectly mediocre which got them a bunch of bids.

Big East definitely needs Nova to get back to being relevant and GTown/DePaul to stop being historically terrible. But I don't think the new PAC is threatening the Big East long term in basketball.
For now. I think the new PAC has a more expansive vision and income portfolio that will mean continued investments in hoops (along with football) that the BE is going to struggle to keep up with. I think bids are going to continue to be a problem. If Nova gets it back together you are probably right, but I have not much confidence in them

Reaction Score
Keep doing what we are doing, it's hard and painful, but PAC?? doesn't make sense. ACC and B12 would suffice, just wondering what the big blowup and endgame looks like when SEC/B10 make their "final" gambit. In the meantime.......

BEAT TEMPLE

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We should try to schedule 6 home and home series with P4 teams per year. Even if we go 1-5 or 2-4, we really should be going 5-1 or 6-0 against the rest of the schedule going forward due to NIL. I’m fine being a BYU of the east.

Of the six, I would like to play one SEC school, one B1G school, and four ACC schools focusing on the VA and NC schools and northeastern schools.

We have 5 P4 home and homes in 2026 so we are close there.

More than six will affect our ability to make a bowl. Six is perfect because we can have 3 P4 home games on average.

Reaction Score
The PAC is looking to become the de facto P5 in all sports. It looks like it is shaping up to be the ACC west ( before the ACC added Pacific Coast teams) in its approach. Solid if not spectacular football and very good basketball. The football side doesn’t have an FSU or Clemson, but it does have teams that are potentially top 25 most years as well as a potential CFP invite occasionally. In some ways they are the Big East after Miami and VaTech left.

On the basketball side they are a 3-6 bid league every year. Wouldn’t be a shock to see San Diego State emerge as the second real power program in that league. They are pretty close now. One wonders how deep they would have gone last year if they hadn’t met UConn in the sweet 16.
The PAC is a G league. I'd say it's much more like the AAC than the ACC. USF and Memphis are comparable to OSU and WSU. Even if the PAC is better in football, it is not close to a power conference. We'll see what other additions it makes but up to this point, it doesn't seem to have many takers. I don't see any adds that would make it a Power conference.

Reaction Score
For now. I think the new PAC has a more expansive vision and income portfolio that will mean continued investments in hoops (along with football) that the BE is going to struggle to keep up with. I think bids are going to continue to be a problem. If Nova gets it back together you are probably right, but I have not much confidence in them
These guys tend to ignore the amount of talent on the East Coast

Reaction Score
Who impresses you? Boise State? In basketball?
Who impressed you in the NEWBE? Butler In basketball? De Paul? Seton Hall?

Boise has been to the last 3 NCAAs. Utah State has been to 4 of the last 5. San Diego State has been to a championship game and a sweet 16. Gonzaga is a national power. It isn’t 1987 any more. The new PAC and the NEWBE are pretty comparable. We have more dreck at the bottom. Both Georgetown and DePaul are truly terrible and have been for years. And more good teams at the top, mostly UConn. The middle is more or less comparable though I’d give them a slight edge. We have the advantage of being mostly on the east coast so our games don’t start at 11 EST. So a better media presence.

Reaction Score
The new PAC, in basketball, has one great program (Gonzaga) and one good program (SDSU). The others had a nice year or two run recently. But come on, Boise State, Utah State, Colorado State are far from annual tournament participants. Last year's Mountain West was perfectly mediocre which got them a bunch of bids.

Big East definitely needs Nova to get back to being relevant and GTown/DePaul to stop being historically terrible. But I don't think the new PAC is threatening the Big East long term in basketball.

The new PAC may take in more than any BE team from a media deal due to Football.

Reaction Score
The PAC is a G league. I'd say it's much more like the AAC than the ACC. USF and Memphis are comparable to OSU and WSU. Even if the PAC is better in football, it is not close to a power conference. We'll see what other additions it makes but up to this point, it doesn't seem to have many takers. I don't see any adds that would make it a Power conference.
I meant the best G league. I used P5 in the way the AAC used P6. I think their goal is to be seen as the top G5 league for football and a “power” league for basketball just as the NEWBE has tried to do on the hoop side.

Reaction Score
The PAC needs to meet the minimum membership by July 2026. It seems the PAC has no takers right now and the PAC must be more than a little concerned. The clock is ticking...

"Fresh off the addition of Gonzaga, the Pac-12 is pausing its pursuit of new members as it enters a media rights evaluation for the eight current schools it has committed to the conference, sources told CBS Sports on Wednesday.

"The evaluation, led by sports and entertainment consulting firm Navigate, could last until the end of the year. It will be conducted with multiple hypothetical lineups and membership possibilities as the conference attempts to outline all possibilities and potential revenue growth within the reformed league, which is set to launch in July 2026."

Reaction Score
"The evaluation, led by sports and entertainment consulting firm Navigate, could last until the end of the year. It will be conducted with multiple hypothetical lineups and membership possibilities as the conference attempts to outline all possibilities and potential revenue growth within the reformed league, which is set to launch in July 2026."
Ha - Navigate for the win: Gonzaga to the Big 12 heats up as both sides show 'mutual admiration'

-> However, Gonzaga may be the exception, considering its television value was ranked among the highest in college basketball. The Zags were listed fifth in a metrical called "TV Power" by Navigate, a Chicago-based consulting firm used by several conferences to examine the potential impact of their realignment efforts. Navigate is currently working with Gonzaga on a potential move to the Big 12 or Pac-12. <-

Reaction Score
The PAC needs to meet the minimum membership by July 2026. It seems the PAC has no takers right now and the PAC must be more than a little concerned. The clock is ticking...

"Fresh off the addition of Gonzaga, the Pac-12 is pausing its pursuit of new members as it enters a media rights evaluation for the eight current schools it has committed to the conference, sources told CBS Sports on Wednesday.

That makes sense. I’m sure Memphis and the others have asked about revenue. UConn too I suspect. It would also impact who you try to recruit. Is adding a couple of midwestern and eastern members going to add media value by opening up access to earlier time slots or just travel expenses?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Ha - Navigate for the win: Gonzaga to the Big 12 heats up as both sides show 'mutual admiration'

-> However, Gonzaga may be the exception, considering its television value was ranked among the highest in college basketball. The Zags were listed fifth in a metrical called "TV Power" by Navigate, a Chicago-based consulting firm used by several conferences to examine the potential impact of their realignment efforts. Navigate is currently working with Gonzaga on a potential move to the Big 12 or Pac-12. <-
Hopefully Endeavor comes through for a win for us soon ;)

Reaction Score
We should try to schedule 6 home and home series with P4 teams per year. Even if we go 1-5 or 2-4, we really should be going 5-1 or 6-0 against the rest of the schedule going forward due to NIL. I’m fine being a BYU of the east.

Of the six, I would like to play one SEC school, one B1G school, and four ACC schools focusing on the VA and NC schools and northeastern schools.

We have 5 P4 home and homes in 2026 so we are close there.

More than six will affect our ability to make a bowl. Six is perfect because we can have 3 P4 home games on average.

That’s a recipe for disaster.

5 in 2026? Absolutely dumb.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
We get it. You have low expectations of our football program.
I don't think it's that shizzle, I think the aim is to stack our schedule with winnable games vs other G5 schools. Having 5 Px games while we're still climbing up in our tenuous state is asking for a beating. A few games, yes, absolutely. Once we shown we can absolutely hang with and beat teams, then adding more Px games makes sense. We want the crowds to come back, which they'll only do if we're winning.

Reaction Score

Boise has been to the last 3 NCAAs. Utah State has been to 4 of the last 5. San Diego State has been to a championship game and a sweet 16. Gonzaga is a national power. It isn’t 1987 any more. The new PAC and the NEWBE are pretty comparable. We have more dreck at the bottom. Both Georgetown and DePaul are truly terrible and have been for years. And more good teams at the top, mostly UConn. The middle is more or less comparable though I’d give them a slight edge. We have the advantage of being mostly on the east coast so our games don’t start at 11 EST. So a better media presence.
Villanova, the 2x National Champion in this decade.
Creighton, which has performed and advanced more than Gonzaga.
Marquette, which is highly ranked.
UConn, which has won the last two national championships, and 4 in the last 15 years.

This was too easy.

I blew you out of the water.

This conversation was preposterously pathetic.

Reaction Score

Not seeing it.
Sure, Gonzaga is a nice get. SDSU has had a nice run.
After that, not too concerned.
Even the old Pac outside UCLA and Oregon wasn’t that great.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
UConn, which has won the last two national championships, and 4 in the last 15 years.

This was too easy.

If you're covering a period long enough to claim Nova's two recent titles, Gonzaga has significantly outperformed Creighton in the tournament.

If you're limiting the period to the recent years where Creighton has outperformed Gonzaga, Villanova has been outperformed by Utah St.

Scoot's argument contains quite a bit of puffery but the are some kernals of truth in it.

Reaction Score

This was too easy.

LOL, Creighton is better than Gonzaga. On what planet did they out perform Creighton?

Marquette < SanDiego State. Unless it’s 1977. Then you are right. When did Marquette last make the national championship game? Was it 1976 or 77?

Villanova has fallen off a cliff since their hall of fame coach retired. Not unexpected. But just a fact.

And I said UConn was better, so we agree on that.

Reaction Score

The new PAC is a shadow of the ACC, now and historically as it relates to its new members. Both football and basketball. Not even a conversation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom