New PAC-12 Forming | Page 11 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
I suspect the ACC may ask us to join sooner than later
Charlie Brown Running GIF by Peanuts

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This makes a little more sense. The MWC was charging $12,500,000/year in various scheduling fees to be part of the consortium. That was going to pretty expensive for OSU and WSU. The MWC definitely pushed its hand too far on that, and now it has blown up in its face. If I was the MWC, I would go back to the Pac 2+4 quickly and offer to fold WSU and OSU into the league and offer some kind of unequal revenue split, because the alternative may be a lot of short term cash, but a low major football and hoops league.

Reaction Score
Just remember that the Big 12 has a contract coming up long before the ACC, and they lost their 2 best football schools.
With streaming becoming the new media service their upcoming contract will probably be less.
This is 100% wrong. Texlahoma was already gone when they negotiated their rights fees with the new hateful 8 + the 4 new schools. Then they added the four corners. They will definitely get a rights increase if the conference stays intact until 2029 (or so.)

Reaction Score
This makes a little more sense. The MWC was charging $12,500,000/year in various scheduling fees to be part of the consortium. That was going to pretty expensive for OSU and WSU. The MWC definitely pushed its hand too far on that, and now it has blown up in its face. If I was the MWC, I would go back to the Pac 2+4 quickly and offer to fold WSU and OSU into the league and offer some kind of unequal revenue split, because the alternative may be a lot of short term cash, but a low major football and hoops league.
Going after a PAC-MWC merger now would make perfect sense. The MWC was only 12 programs to begin with and would be 14 with OSU and WSU. Now the 6 PAC has options including inviting more MWC members such as UNLV, Utah State, San Jose State, New Mexico or a few AAC members. A very real scenario is that a merged PAC and MWC would be by far the best G5 conference which in itself would help raise the profile and performance of Hawaii and Nevada. Wyoming has actually been pretty good anyway. The conference still has slots available if it wants to go after Memphis, Tulane, Texas schools or others depending on how big it wants to get and would have much more leverage. And it could be the only competitive G5 conference covering the entire Mountain and Pacific time zones.

The AAC could also make moves to try to keep up and if I were a fan, I'd rather keep my company in the southeast than fly all over the western USA.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Going after a PAC-MWC merger now would make perfect sense. The MWC was only 12 programs to begin with and would be 14 with OSU and WSU. Now the 6 PAC has options including inviting more MWC members such as UNLV, Utah State, San Jose State, New Mexico or a few AAC members. A very real scenario is that a merged PAC and MWC would be by far the best G5 conference which in itself would help raise the profile and performance of Hawaii and Nevada. Wyoming has actually been pretty good anyway. The conference still has slots available if it wants to go after Memphis, Tulane, Texas schools or others depending on how big it wants to get and would have much more leverage. And it could be the only competitive G5 conference covering the entire Mountain and Pacific time zones.

The AAC could also make moves to try to keep up and if I were a fan, I'd rather keep my company in the southeast than fly all over the western USA.
They clearly don't want about half of the MWC

Reaction Score
They clearly don't want about half of the MWC
I'm not sure about that as I think taking 4 MWC schools is just a negotiating ploy and the start of rebuilding the Pac 12.

First, by taking only 4 schools, the MWC is still intact with 8 football schools, so the Pac 2 won't be sued for dissolving the conference. Next, the MWC can be dissolved by a 3/4 vote, so if the Pac 2 take 4 more MWC schools, 8 schools can dissolve the conference and avoid all of the exit fees. I think the Pac 2 wants the MWC to dissolve the conference on their own to limit their potential liability.

Who do I think gets asked from the MWC to join the Pac 12? Air Force might be asked, but I think they will opt for the AAC. Then I think the four schools will be: Utah St., UNLV, Wyoming, and New Mexico. San Jose St., Nevada, and Hawaii will be left out. That brings the Pac 12 to 10 schools which is where I think they stand for a couple of years.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
The take on Wyoming is interesting as some think they will be included in this new PAC while others argue they'll be left out. I know it's been a long while, but I seem to recall a season when Wyoming was undefeated (or 11-0 at the time, or something asking those lines). That tells me they can get a good run going just like NIU had many seasons ago. So while not a sexy add, they wouldn't be a crappy add either.

Reaction Score
Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander think that the PAC 12 should invite Gonzaga. Norlander talks about the increased valuation of basketball and Gonzaga's national appeal and tournament history. He said that to dismiss them out of hand because they don't have football would be short-sighted. Yet he didn't think that UConn should go to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
The G5 conferences are going through another round of CR because 2 programs, OSU and WSU, need a home. They'll then have the G6 until perhaps one conference (CUSA) eventually gets too small to even be considered a conference. Throw in more travel costs and fewer regional rivals. CR in all its glory.

Reaction Score
They'll then have the G6 until perhaps one conference (CUSA) eventually gets too small to even be considered a conference. .
There are enough FCS teams thinking about moving up that I doubt any conference will lack teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom