New PAC-12 Forming | Page 12 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There are enough FCS teams thinking about moving up that I doubt any conference will lack teams.
I fond a lot of this baffling. The better FCS programs (the Dakotas, Montana, E Washington) have had various offers for a couple of decades yet always passed. Now the cost to upgrade is considerably higher, which logically should make it less likely.

Delaware however was in the same boat and it almost seemed like they were waiting for the cost to go up before deciding to move, so I wouldn't rule out any upgrade.

Reaction Score
I fond a lot of this baffling. The better FCS programs (the Dakotas, Montana, E Washington) have had various offers for a couple of decades yet always passed. Now the cost to upgrade is considerably higher, which logically should make it less likely.

Delaware however was in the same boat and it almost seemed like they were waiting for the cost to go up before deciding to move, so I wouldn't rule out any upgrade.
Could never wrap my mind about the Delaware process. A few weeks earlier and they pay 5k to upgrade instead of 5 million. And it was a move in the works FOR YEARS.

Reaction Score

I was referring more to the WAC teams, which are widely expected to move up in the next 5-10 years.

The top FCS programs have the issue of whether they want to go from being the top dog, regularly competing for championships, to being a mid-level team. Also the western teams didnt have as easy a conference landing space as say JMU did.

Additionally, there used to be stadium size requirements (now deleted). NoDakSt has a domed stadium (so non-expandable) that fell under the minimum.

Reaction Score
Could never wrap my mind about the Delaware process. A few weeks earlier and they pay 5k to upgrade instead of 5 million. And it was a move in the works FOR YEARS.

Not only that, but they are "moving up" to Conference USA which is essentially just a bunch of random far-flung schools that also recently moved up. That conference will be decimated even further when the Mountain West and AAC backfill after the PAC is done raiding. Delaware should have gone to the more stable MAC, unless the MAC didn't want them.

Reaction Score
Not only that, but they are "moving up" to Conference USA which is essentially just a bunch of random far-flung schools that also recently moved up. That conference will be decimated even further when the Mountain West and AAC backfill after the PAC is done raiding. Delaware should have gone to the more stable MAC, unless the MAC didn't want them.
Sun Belt

Reaction Score
I was referring more to the WAC teams, which are widely expected to move up in the next 5-10 years.

The top FCS programs have the issue of whether they want to go from being the top dog, regularly competing for championships, to being a mid-level team. Also the western teams didnt have as easy a conference landing space as say JMU did.

Additionally, there used to be stadium size requirements (now deleted). NoDakSt has a domed stadium (so non-expandable) that fell under the minimum.
I suppose it makes much more sense for FCS programs to move up if an expanded P2 break off on their own. Then they would still be highly competitive, win conference titles and compete for championships.

Reaction Score
The move up, and it is up from 1AA, is a planned first step. They’re paving the way to SBC or AAC next, with dream scenario being considered for an East Coast conference once the SEC forever ruins college football as we knew it. Not every step can be a leap. They’re taking steps to see if they can grow the model. The MAC is the Hotel California- you can check in any time you want, but you can never leave.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This sort of confirms the money is in the vicinity of 10 rather than 15. 10 doesn’t really clear the aac exit fees and added travel costs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This sort of confirms the money is in the vicinity of 10 rather than 15. 10 doesn’t really clear the aac exit fees and added travel costs.

It sounds like the PAC 12 offered them the SMU deal.

Reaction Score

-> UNLV would not be “structurally” tied to Nevada in the event the Pac-12 offers membership to the Rebels during the second wave of its expansion phase, according to a member of the Nevada Board of Regents whose comments contradict the public sentiment following a major shakeup in college sports on the West Coast. <-

-> One member of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Board of Regents went so far as to say it would be “very difficult” for the campuses to separate if the Pac-12 comes calling for the Rebels.

But Heather Brown, who was elected to the board in November 2022 and represents District 6, told the Hotline on Tuesday that UNLV and Nevada would not be an all-or-nothing deal.

“If (UNLV) were approached by a conference and it makes sense,” Brown said, “my understanding is they would have to get board approval. But there’s nothing we would have to untether. There is no package. Nobody talks about them as a package … There is nothing structurally that ties them together.” <-

-> Brown is not ready to support a move to the Pac-12 if the invitation arrives in the upcoming weeks.

The financial component is critical because UNLV has no means of paying a buyout that could approach $30 million when all the penalties are assessed, Brown said. And she would want to weigh the move against UNLV’s options. But if joining the Pac-12 makes sense in all respects, including the financial component, Brown said, “I think the board would support it.” <-

Reaction Score

Synopsis from D1.Ticker:

IMG_1173.jpeg

Reaction Score

Yup. Keep in mind UTSA only gets a half share of AAC TV money too, even 10M is nearly 3x their AAC share. They may well be trying to negotiate the PAC covering their exit fee to the AAC (as it is reportedly helping with for the MWC schools) which would be a big chunk of money with less than a years notice, especially less than two years into the new conference.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yikes, that's not much of deal given when you get to the other side we are talking about $$ that still well below the P4 world.

Reaction Score
Yup. Keep in mind UTSA only gets a half share of AAC TV money too, even 10M is nearly 3x their AAC share. They may well be trying to negotiate the PAC covering their exit fee to the AAC (as it is reportedly helping with for the MWC schools) which would be a big chunk of money with less than a years notice, especially less than two years into the new conference.
I think there is a possibility there will not be any MWC exit fees as 8 schools can vote to dissolve the conference. Four are out the door already, Air Force looks like they want to go to the AAC, and if the Pac 12 invited 3 more MWC schools that is 8 schools. Dissolving the MWC would eliminate at least $68 million in exit fees for the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
The issues are the teams moving in are intentionally leaving the lessor ones behind, they don’t want anyone else except for (potentially) UNLV. The Pac-2 would presumably still owe the penalties in their scheduling agreement unless they took everyone.

Reaction Score
I think there is a possibility there will not be any MWC exit fees as 8 schools can vote to dissolve the conference. Four are out the door already, Air Force looks like they want to go to the AAC, and if the Pac 12 invited 3 more MWC schools that is 8 schools. Dissolving the MWC would eliminate at least $68 million in exit fees for the Pac 12.
Isn’t that how the PAC survived - on exit fees and contractual payments. MWC remnants could poach utep, nmsu,etc and survive based on money from this kerfuffle, no?

Reaction Score
Who are those 3? UNLV is a maybe, can't imagine they want anyone else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom