New PAC-12 Forming | Page 14 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
Since none of us were involved in the talks. Maybe big 12 said you can join for this and this and Uconn said no. So the sides couldn’t come to terms as both sides aren’t desperate.
We are desperate. Always a nominee, never the award winner.

Reaction Score
We are desperate. Always a nominee, never the award winner.
I don't believe the current structure of college football will hold up. It will be a matter of time before the big schools won't want to share revenue with their current lesser conference peers. We are headed down the path where bigger schools will just go instrument and sign their own media deals if they feel they can make more money without leeches in their conferences.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

So this is where I lose this. Basically, you're adding travel costs, paying exit fees that you won't recoup right away, and then making less money most likely, just to be in a conference for it's "Name"? I just don't get it. You can call it the Pac whatever as long as you want but it's no more than a fancy sounding G5 conference.

Reaction Score
Comical response. Note how you can't argue any points.

Lol the next "point" you make will be the first. Nobody here is going to bother arguing with you and your idiotic conference analysis.

I think I have you figured. You definitely root for a Big12 school--despite your denials--but it is not one of the schools with actual value.

Your school is one of the lucky 4 that slunk in as emergency replacements when TX and OK buggered off. And now that dumb luck and timing have elevated your mediocre school to safety, you come here to troll.

Your school is never--ever--going to win anything. It is beyond sad, that it gets you off to come here and act as gatekeeper for the P4. There must be a deep, deep hole in you to drive you to that.

You should seek help elsewhere.

Reaction Score
So this is where I lose this. Basically, you're adding travel costs, paying exit fees that you won't recoup right away, and then making less money most likely, just to be in a conference for its "Name"? I just don't get it. You can call it the Pac whatever as long as you want but it's no more than a fancy sounding G5 conference.
That’s one bullet point presentation I would love to see .

Reaction Score
Comical response. Note how you can't argue any points. All you do is go personal in some lame attempt to thump your chest. It's called projecting in Psychology. You accuse me of doing what you do because you perceive it that way due to sensitive feelings.

The Big 12 has gone from one of the best to the bottom of the "P-4/5". They are down to relying on BB to be relevant. FB simply does not have the NIL $ to compete and buy 5 star players. Most teams have none.

See how easy it is to be honest. So please stop with your insecure act. It's lame and UConn fans are famous for it.

If UConn was valuable on TV they would be in the P-4/5. It's that simple. Getting mad at me won't change that.

I had hoped UConn would get an invite but I Am not confident anymore. I think ESPN told the B12 to wait, and FOX never support that as they have UConn for pennies.

Sometimes I think you are an @August_West burner account doing a decent parody of a typical Big 12 fan.

The Big 12 doesn't look very strong in football. Clemson and FSU can't leave the ACC and even if they could the Big 12 can't pay them enough for the move to make sense financially.

Couple that with the fact that now the ACC is showing some sense in enhancing the unequal revenue distribution model the ACC has the framework to hold some things together. They still have better football brand names than the Big 12, they still have great basketball brand names and they will get a nice contract if they hold together, which it looks like it will.

The Big 12 is kinda screwed. They won't have many options to grow if growth is what they need. The PAC 12 resurgence means Wazzu/OSU is off the table. Memphis and Tulane might jump and then you'll have to pay them full shares make it worth paying exit fees to the PAC 12 and AAC simultaneously.

I guess you could go full AAC and get USF or something. That's kind of what the Big 12 is heading towards.

Time for you to go stress eat some Beaver Nuggets at Buc'ees with the other fat middle americans and listen to some country music.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So this is where I lose this. Basically, you're adding travel costs, paying exit fees that you won't recoup right away, and then making less money most likely, just to be in a conference for it's "Name"? I just don't get it. You can call it the Pac whatever as long as you want but it's no more than a fancy sounding G5 conference.
It's very plausible that the Pac-2 will heavily subsidize the exit fees of three or four AAC schools.

Reaction Score
It's very plausible that the Pac-2 will heavily subsidize the exit fees of three or four AAC schools.

Not if that money is already earmarked for the 4 MWC schools.

The AAC schools aren't worth it and they don't need the enticement to get out of that dreck.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Not if that money is already earmarked for the 4 MWC schools.

The AAC schools aren't worth it and they don't need the enticement to get out of that dreck.
I think there is still money left over. However, if I'm betting right now I don't think the AAC 3 (USF, Tulane, Memphis) make the move. My bet is UNLV, Utah State, UTSA, and North Texas.

Reaction Score
I think there is still money left over. However, if I'm betting right now I don't think the AAC 3 (USF, Tulane, Memphis) make the move. My bet is UNLV, Utah State, UTSA, and North Texas.
I don't see more than one more MWC if they can help it. The Pac-2 penalties currently sit at $43M for the first four. Adding UNLV prior to August 2026 would put it to $55M (in your scenario the fees would jump to $67.5M without any kind of exit fee subsidy to Utah St or UNLV). They are also reportedly subsidizing at least some of the $18M team exit fees for the first four (a full subsidy would take the cost to $115M already just for the first four teams).

This is coming out of the Pac-2's reported $255M war chest, some of which needs to be retained for operations.

AAC exit fees are going to run north of $25M (allegedly $27.5M) as the Pac-6 needs at least 2 of them prior to next season to be a full conference.

The challenge is the Pac-6 doesn't have anything but projections on what the TV money could be. If it's 15M per, then it becomes a situation where it makes sense for some of the legacy members who are still reportedly getting full shares; vs the new members who are only getting half shares. At 10M it becomes a game of chicken for the full share members who'd be fearful of being left holding the bag.

My guess is as much as anything it's a negotiating ploy for Memphis & Tulane to express their hesitancy with a hope of extracting some level of subsidy from the Pac-2 on their exit fees. A full subsidy for Memphis & Tulane would be $55M (which is actually cheaper than a full subsidy for two more MWC ($60.5M)).

I don't see both UTSA & North Texas getting the nod. I think they'd look to Rice ahead of North Texas if they really needed two Texas schools, but I think their ideal is Memphis & Tulane. UTSA & UNLV probably later once the penalties expire for MWC schools & the lower full notice exit fee period expires. Utah State is one of the schools they're actively trying to leave, I really think that UNLV the only MWC school remaining the potential list, unless they desperately need to add an 8th.

Reaction Score
Hopefully these exit fees and subsidies keep the PAC from adding AAC and MWC teams and lead them towards a UConn football-only add. If they want into Texas, it would be cheaper to buy Texas St out of the Sunbelt than UTSA, North Texas, or Rice out of the AAC.

Reaction Score
It's far more likely the ACC poaches from the BigXII than the other way around. What that means for UConn, I can't say, but the ACC isn't as unstable as some would like you to believe and the BigXII isn't some big, happy family.

Reaction Score
It's far more likely the ACC poaches from the BigXII than the other way around. What that means for UConn, I can't say, but the ACC isn't as unstable as some would like you to believe and the BigXII isn't some big, happy family.
What happens to the ACC is out of their control as it depends on what the P2 and ESPN want to do. The Big 12 really doesn't have schools the P2 wants, but the ACC does. That is why the ACC is unstable.

We will find out soon what the medium term future of the ACC is when ESPN makes the decision about extending the ACC media contract. If the rumors of ESPN and the ACC are negotiating to only extend the media contract to 2030 (which means the GORs would expire in 2030) in a compromise with Clemson and FSU to drop their lawsuits, it could be very risky for the ACC. ESPN has financial issues and they have committed to many expensive contracts, especially the NBA, NFL, and SEC. Do they really want to commit to the ACC until 2036?

Look at the ABC/ESPN time slots for this coming weekend and it doesn't show a big commitment to the ACC:

Thursday ESPN: AAC

Friday ESPN: ACC

Saturday
Noon: ABC: SEC, ESPN: B12, ESPN2: AAC, ESPNU: AAC

3:30/4 PM: ABC: SEC, ESPN: SEC, ESPN2: ACC, ESPNU: SBC

7/7:30 PM: ABC: SEC, ESPN: ACC, ESPN2: B12, ESPNU: AAC

10 PM: ESPN: B12

So, on Saturday here is what ABC/ESPN decided to broadcast:
SEC: ABC: 3, ESPN: 2
Big 12: ESPN: 2, ESPN2: 1. (Also have 1 game on FOX and 2 on FS1)
ACC: ESPN: 1, ESPN2: 1
AAC: ESPN2: 1, ESPNU: 2
SBC: ESPNU: 1

That doesn't look promising for the ACC.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Hopefully these exit fees and subsidies keep the PAC from adding AAC and MWC teams and lead them towards a UConn football-only add. If they want into Texas, it would be cheaper to buy Texas St out of the Sunbelt than UTSA, North Texas, or Rice out of the AAC.
I wish we had a long-term home for football. Short of a scheduling agreement with the leftover PAC to play some home & aways, I don't see any way UConn is asked to join. To their eyes, we would bring no value (NY/NE market is meaningless to them). UConn to the PAC is as fantastical as King Kong doing sign language while putting on the ritz.

Reaction Score
The P2 are just as much slaves to the media as anyone else. Why would ESPN pay schools they already have in their portfolio more just to relocate them to a different conference? Why waste their investment into the ACCN? The answer is, they wouldn't. At least, not for the sake of doing so alone, anyhow. Sure you could say they're trimming fat, making it worth the extra to the schools, but that's flushing a LOT of money died the drain with the ACCN that stands to make more in more markets.

Speaking of which; there's new markets in the BigXII they could add cheaply, and the BigXII has overplayed their hand by openly pursuing investors and such. No network and desperate for cash.... Doesn't sound like a happy home.

I know the thing around here is to hope for the ACC to die, but the reality is every time you guys predict their demise, they find a way to stay together instead. This won't be different.

And again, I've no idea how this would or wouldn't benefit UConn. I could see a world where UConn is added along with a few BigXII schools to appease the basketball first schools.

Louisville, Duke, UNC, Kansas, UConn in a conference together? With a network? Sounds worth money to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom