New PAC-12 Forming | Page 15 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
What happens to the ACC is out of their control as it depends on what the P2 and ESPN want to do. The Big 12 really doesn't have schools the P2 wants, but the ACC does. That is why the ACC is unstable.

We will find out soon what the medium term future of the ACC is when ESPN makes the decision about extending the ACC media contract. If the rumors of ESPN and the ACC are negotiating to only extend the media contract to 2030 (which means the GORs would expire in 2030) in a compromise with Clemson and FSU to drop their lawsuits, it could be very risky for the ACC. ESPN has financial issues and they have committed to many expensive contracts, especially the NBA, NFL, and SEC. Do they really want to commit to the ACC until 2036?

Look at the ABC/ESPN time slots for this coming weekend and it doesn't show a big commitment to the ACC:

Thursday ESPN: AAC

Friday ESPN: ACC

Saturday
Noon: ABC: SEC, ESPN: B12, ESPN2: AAC, ESPNU: AAC

3:30/4 PM: ABC: SEC, ESPN: SEC, ESPN2: ACC, ESPNU: SBC

7/7:30 PM: ABC: SEC, ESPN: ACC, ESPN2: B12, ESPNU: AAC

10 PM: ESPN: B12

So, on Saturday here is what ABC/ESPN decided to broadcast:
SEC: ABC: 3, ESPN: 2
Big 12: ESPN: 2, ESPN2: 1. (Also have 1 game on FOX and 2 on FS1)
ACC: ESPN: 1, ESPN2: 1
AAC: ESPN2: 1, ESPNU: 2
SBC: ESPNU: 1

That doesn't look promising for the ACC.

ESPN, years back, made the SEC their premier property....the squeeze for good air time slots has been predicted for some time for the non P2 programs.

Also, the lack of good TV slots will affect viewing numbers and thus valuations (coincidentally making it cheaper to pick up a non P2 team)...it becomes a even more of a rigged game...the P2 get the slots and the Media owners pad their return on their major investments...

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Sooo Memphis, Tulane, USF, and UTSA gonna wait to take UConn's slot for the never-coming invite from the ACC/Big12. ^_^

Reaction Score
Good. Good for the AAC. I think the AAC is in a better all-round position than the PAC/MWC. And why shake things up now when some of those AAC programs can see what happens with the Big 12 and ACC. That certainly has to give the 4 MWC programs moving to the PAC some concern.

Reaction Score
Good. Good for the AAC. I think the AAC is in a better all-round position than the PAC/MWC. And why shake things up now when some of those AAC programs can see what happens with the Big 12 and ACC. That certainly has to give the 4 MWC programs moving to the PAC some concern.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Getting messy
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

Reaction Score
In one fell swoop, Gonzaga just jumped the BE schools in revenue
This is a masterclass for them. Even though I'm not exactly believing the suggested media valuation nor is this a shrewd business deal by the PAC, it's incredible for Gonzaga to get a gigantic jump in revenue and drastically improve their conference while maintaining their travel and brand profile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom