New DC Candidate Possibilities | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New DC Candidate Possibilities

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A really nice house (not a mansion on the water) in a town with good schools (Orono, Bangor, Hampden) will cost around $250K to $300K in and around U Maine. Most thinsg will cost lower in Maine except for home heating and state taxes (the top income bracket in Maine is 7.15% and that bracket hits at $50K per year).
except for the screwed up politicians, I would live on the Maine lower to mid coastal any day of the week especially over Minnesota

Reaction Score
I want to know who’s heard anything rumor or otherwise as who it possibly is? Someone on the yard must have some scoop..

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Lyndon as D coordinator would be cool. He can recruit and motivate. Not a Lakatos fan. We picked him up from Rutgers because of NJ recruiting. He comes here if RE wants to beef up NJ recruiting. The DB's during Lakatos' time were not well drilled and never looked for the ball.

Darrell Perkins did a nice job when here. Still, I think there will be some people from RE's past that weren't here the last time filling these jobs.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Lyndon as D coordinator would be cool. He can recruit and motivate. Not a Lakatos fan. We picked him up from Rutgers because of NJ recruiting. He comes here if RE wants to beef up NJ recruiting. The DB's during Lakatos' time were not well drilled and never looked for the ball.

Darrell Perkins did a nice job when here. Still, I think there will be some people from RE's past that weren't here the last time filling these jobs.

You sure about Lakatos and what his DB's did while he was here?

UConn DB Coach Scott Lakatos Named Secondary Coach At UGA - University of Georgia Athletics

"In 2008, the UConn secondary helped the Huskies achieve a national ranking of No. 9 in pass efficiency defense. Cornerback Darius Butler was selected in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots while safety Dahna Deleston signed a free agent contract with the Chicago Bears.

Led by Oakland Raiders draftee Tyvon Branch, UConn was 10th nationally in passing efficiency defense in 2007 and 17th in passing defense en route to the BIG EAST Championship.

In 2005, UConn again led the BIG EAST in total defense. The major reason was its passing defense, where the Huskies ranked fourth nationally in least yards allowed per game and seventh in passing efficiency defense. UConn was 25th nationally in passing defense in 2006.

In 2004, the Huskies ranked first in the BIG EAST, and in the top 20 nationally, in passing defense, yielding just 190.0 yards per game. The low sum helped UConn also lead the BIG EAST in total defense in 2004. Leading the unit was first-team All-BIG EAST selection, and Kansas City Chiefs signee, Justin Perkins, who made five interceptions on the year and tied for 14th in the nation in passes defended"

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Justin Perkins was the guy before Lakatos got here. Branch and Butler were future NFL stars. I remember not shedding a tear when Lakatos went to Georgia. The D was good but we weren't in a conference that chucked the ball all over the park and we played ball control. The DB's did not turn their heads to see the ball.

Reaction Score
Justin Perkins was the guy before Lakatos got here. Branch and Butler were future NFL stars. I remember not shedding a tear when Lakatos went to Georgia. The D was good but we weren't in a conference that chucked the ball all over the park and we played ball control. The DB's did not turn their heads to see the ball.

Lakatos 2004-2010
D. Perkins 2010-2013

Justin Perkins was a player.

A lot of college and NFL players don’t turn their heads. Some are trained to play the receiver’s hands instead of turning to look back for the ball because you lose track of the receiver by turning. Depends on the DB’s individual skill set @ all levels of play.

I have no clue who is being targeted but I wouldn’t lose any sleep if it was either of them because they helped make UConn DBU.

Reaction Score
The Dunn hire looks like a success so I expect Edsall to go back to that well and make a similar type of hire. I expect an NFL assistant. It would explain basically waiting for the NFL season to end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dunn was offensive quality control coach for the Bears last year, I was curious who the defensive quality control coach was for the Bears and it turns out to be this young coach Sean Desai. Apparently this guy is called "professor" because he is an academic genius. (has a PHD) He has an impressive background working for Al Golden at Temple and Miami. Then l googled his name and it turns out he is from Shelton and played on the same team as Orlovsky. (shocker, didn't expect that)

I have no idea if this is the guy, but we need to get him on the staff ASAP. Love his background and resume. There is an article about him in the Atlantic for anyone who has an account.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I really don't know why they wouldn't rehire Diaco.

Think about it, Broyles Award winning DC, HC experience, DC at Nebraska. How could you go wrong. Plus, Randy wouldn't let him touch a game management call and would basically control the defense anyway.

How could we pass up on this chance. I mean, he'd bring some female fans back into the fold as well.

Oh wait....I just realized why he wouldn't work.....he's bat *'*t crazy, can't recruit FBS players, and had a horrific defense at Nebraska with high level FBS talent.

Guess he's a hard pass??

:D:D

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Dunn was offensive quality control coach for the Bears last year, I was curious who the defensive quality control coach was for the Bears and it turns out to be this young coach Sean Desai. Apparently this guy is called "professor" because he is an academic genius. (has a PHD) He has an impressive background working for Al Golden at Temple and Miami. Then l googled his name and it turns out he is from Shelton and played on the same team as Orlovsky. (shocker, didn't expect that)

I have no idea if this is the guy, but we need to get him on the staff ASAP. Love his background and resume. There is an article about him in the Atlantic for anyone who has an account.

Wow -- this guy. Beyond the flipping doctorate, he also has an MAT from Columbia -- a first rate teacher is something we could use.

I'm just going to live in the fantasy world where he's not only a good DC, but where he decides he wants to leave the Bears to put his education degree to work in an environment where he can be a legit hero ...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we raise our pay scale to hire our new DC. $300K/yr means we hire another Crocker type and keep our fingers crossed. There can be no finger crossing with the next hire. We need a defense ASAP if we're going to seriously turn this program around.

Reaction Score

Sorry to say but most of the time our DB’s were a step behind hence being out of phase which means you can’t turn and look for the ball- you have to play through hands at that point. Common misconception with DB play. You can’t just turn around without being in phase else you will lose ground and location of receiver.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Lakatos 2004-2010
D. Perkins 2010-2013

Justin Perkins was a player.

A lot of college and NFL players don’t turn their heads. Some are trained to play the receiver’s hands instead of turning to look back for the ball because you lose track of the receiver by turning. Depends on the DB’s individual skill set @ all levels of play.

I have no clue who is being targeted but I wouldn’t lose any sleep if it was either of them because they helped make UConn DBU.

Bad writing on my part- I meant the guy as in the top corner. Roy Hopkins, Justin Perkins, Tyvon Branch, Darius Butler, Blidi Wreh WIlson, etc. Under RE, we always had one shutdown corner and the others usually weren't that bad either. (see Gratz, McClain, etc). I know how the technique is taught - just under Latakos guys did not turn their heads. Irrelevant now. Unless RE is ready to go hard after New Jersey for talent, I don't see where Lakatos moves the needle.

Reaction Score
Sorry to say but most of the time our DB’s were a step behind hence being out of phase which means you can’t turn and look for the ball- you have to play through hands at that point. Common misconception with DB play. You can’t just turn around without being in phase else you will lose ground and location of receiver.
Yeah, but traveling at full speed two steps from the corner of the end zone, the DB can turn around (indeed has to turn around) and UConn's never did. Positional awareness was lacking.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but traveling at full speed two steps from the corner of the end zone, the DB can turn around (indeed has to turn around) and UConn's never did. Positional awareness was lacking.
I can agree with that one

Reaction Score
You have to think in terms of what works for Edsall. He's a bend but don't break type of coach as is Hughes.
You gotta wonder though how well does that work vs today's spread offenses?

Reaction Score
I know he gets a poor wrap around here. But I could think of many worse gambles as DC. And, he can get recruits.

Reaction Score
How about that guy with the glasses? I think he's still around somewhere...
UConn 65 coaches.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom