New DC Candidate Possibilities | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New DC Candidate Possibilities

Reaction Score
Al Golden-TE Coach Detroit Lions (Former Temple and Miami HC)

Bill Sheridan-BC Linebackers Coach (former NFL DC)

Both overlapped when he was in Detroit

Reaction Score
I would take Golden in a heartbeat but I doubt he would want to come back as a defensive coordinator for a fledgling AAC team.

Johnson would be a solid hire. He did a great job recruiting here.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure SDSU runs it, imagine a few others also do. But your point is taken that it’s not a “mainstream defense” and it sure as heck didn’t work here.

Arizona State also runs it

Reaction Score
I thought this was some weird joke that went over my head...but there really is a defensive coordinator named Lyndon Johnson lol
I went Brien McMahon HS & Uconn with the guy (A year behind him though). He appears to be a viable option. He had success under Edsall 1.0 here too... He's got enough experience for the gig as well. AND he xan recruit at the FBS level. Don't think we'd be in a bad spot with him running our D

Reaction Score
Pretty sure SDSU runs it, imagine a few others also do. But your point is taken that it’s not a “mainstream defense” and it sure as heck didn’t work here.
Texas Tech ran a 3/3/5 under Kingsbury. Both Oklahoma and OKSt basically do as well.

Reaction Score
I thought this was some weird joke that went over my head...but there really is a defensive coordinator named Lyndon Johnson lol
In your defense before you may have been born, Lyndon Johnson '92 was a 4-year UConn letter winner starting every game his last 3 seasons on the Huskies' OL and a team captain and the team’s Most Valuable Offensive Player in 1991. Similarly, Lyndon started his 12 years coaching UConn about when you may have been in kindergarten or elementary school. Other than by combing the UConn football programs or pre-season history, being a Twerps or Tow(n)son <sic> fan, or by reading a recent related Boneyard thread, it's not too shocking you wouldn't know much about Lyndon.

Reaction Score
Big Ten DC is a challenge for the Maine guy. But here’s the other thing:

“Harasymiak presumably will receive a pay increase with the Gophers. The Bangor (Maine) Daily News reported that he made $153,000 this season, the lowest salary for a head coach in the CAA. The average salary for CAA coaches, according to the report, was $360,000 this year. Salaries for Gophers assistants in 2018, according to USA Today’s database, ranged from $210,000 to $710,000.”

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Big Ten DC is a challenge for the Maine guy. But here’s the other thing:

He left to become a defensive assistant, not a DC. Considering how far he took Maine in just three years as a head coach, it’s a much less ambitious reach by Minnesota than Crocker was for UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interested in hearing what names we can come up with. My only rules are that you only list realistic options and that it has to be someone who we know runs a 4-3

Wade Phillips (and the rest of the Rams Coaching Staff), but I think he'll be busy for a few weeks...

Reaction Score
My fear is that we've reached a point where moving from UAB, Marshall, App State is more of a lateral move than anything. App and UAB are legit right now and i think they can get a higher level job. I like the Kennesaw State guy, though
Had the same thought that for most of the names on that list coming here would be a step backward.

Reaction Score
I am sure Edsall didn’t fire these folks without first having replacements identified. Job postings are just a formality. That is likely why it took so long after season to announce changes. Edsall has due diligence completed and candidates ready to go.

Reaction Score
It's more about personal. If you have the right people for your scheme. Any scheme will work.

Reaction Score
It can work if you have LB’s named Luke Kuechly, Derrick Brooks and Lawrence Taylor.
We didn’t have any of those guys.

Reaction Score
I am sure Edsall didn’t fire these folks without first having replacements identified. Job postings are just a formality. That is likely why it took so long after season to announce changes. Edsall has due diligence completed and candidates ready to go.
If it's not Lyndon Johnson then it could be a certain defensive coach in the ACC. In any event, given Edsall's past history at hiring great assistants (with the exception of Crocker) I'm confident he will pick up some good defensive people. Benedict, with his football background has also played a major role in the search for replacements for the people let go. Also wondering about Wholley and Carter since they were retained.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I have no idea who it might be. I agree with many that whoever it is, they are already signed, sealed, and delivered (just not officially).

I will say that I don't want to see an old retread of a coach. We have that with RE. Johnson seems fine as he wasn't a HC and has worked with Randy. I just don't want to see an older DC who has clearly let the game pass them by or is on their way to happening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom