New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
His lawyer is in desperation mode now -trying to win some settlement legal fee out of this disaster.

Maybe, but I doubt I’m the only one thinking “What’s it going to cost to just make this go away?”

Reaction Score
Ok - KO and his team apparently did not get Chief’s wake up post a couple week’s ago. So Chief’s starting to lift the self imposed gag order and I will match them now and believe me it will get much worse. This latest FOI Request will embarrass no one more than KO, if approved. His reputation will lay in ruins.
UConn offered KO $2.5 million through back channels and that would have avoided all this unnecessary mess and KO would now be working.
If KO ever has the really poor judgement to call Chief as a witness - the gloves are off - and Chief will tell everything. I think even his lawyer recognizes this would not be in his client’s interest.
I LOVE IT! EXPOSE HIM CHIEF.

Hey Chief- Side question. Did you get the name Chief from the chief himself, Eric Church, or are you just a big KC Chiefs fan? Maybe the Hockey team from Slap Shot?

Reaction Score
People here act like they'd be all noble if they were fired on somewhat shoddy grounds FOR CAUSE and stood to lose not just $10M but also would struggle to find another coaching job (because it was FOR CAUSE).

I want KO to go away, and we made the right choice, but this was all inevitable once we fired him for cause. And every one of you all would do the same thing. You'd like to pretend you're all noble, but for $10M...

No, some of us would have reached a settlement, and avoided all this.

Reaction Score
People here act like they'd be all noble if they were fired on somewhat shoddy grounds FOR CAUSE and stood to lose not just $10M but also would struggle to find another coaching job (because it was FOR CAUSE).

I want KO to go away, and we made the right choice, but this was all inevitable once we fired him for cause. And every one of you all would do the same thing. You'd like to pretend you're all noble, but for $10M...
That's a load of crap. You'd go scorched earth on your mentor, former players and former friends just for money? He deserved to be fired for cause. It's not the firing that will keep him from another job. It's the baggage and now this lawsuit. How could you ever hire this guy now? He made himself unemployable.

C

Chief00

True, and believe me, this could get much worse from KO’s reputation point of view.
I think his tone deaf legal team has boxed him in rather than UConn. Now KO’s other options are diminishing thus while a long shot, he rolls the dice because there’s no opportunity cost to continue this other than a bad personal reputation. And he may feel this is the only further major money he can obtain for the rest of his life.
I think this is a problem with hiring former players (Miller, Moore, KO). They tend to become complacent, secure and isolated from professional networks. They don’t work hard developing a network outside their former school. So when they get fired they don’t bounce back like DK and Chill. This is all they have in their minds so they double down and get bitter. I have seen the same in the corporate World if someone works just for one company and gets whacked after many years. It’s sad but predictable.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I wonder what Mr. Jay Bilas, Esq. will have to say about this latest installment of Ollie insanity?

All Ollie's lawyers can attempt to do is keep turning it into an uglier and messier quagmire it can drag the school's reputation through. They're hoping at some point the school cries "Uncle!" and pays him at least half the buyout to make it all go away. The problem for them is they will almost certainly lose everything at the arbitration hearing, if that ever happens. It has become a dangerous game of chicken for Ollie's side. The school seems resolved to dig in and let Ollie hang himself.

Reaction Score
Good try LOL. Noticed I said in the first post “starting to lift” and that “I would match them now”. I then slipped in a piece of information, (the $2.5M informal offer) they know is true to get their attention. You should have understood this to be a warning rather than a self impose gag order dam break. Timing is everything, when did I post the bottom post and what has happened since, including this week?
In defense of Chief I must admit, I specifically remember long ago, before last years AAC tourney game, Chief did say..."Beware of transfers" as it related to the NCAA investigation.

C

Chief00

So remind me how did Glenn Miller end up worse than KO in this situation?

I did not say worse but same downward trajectory. He went from a highly compensated D1 assistant’s job to a D3 Assistant after being unemployed for over a year with apparently no D1 offers. Not exactly an upwards trajectory.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I did not say worse but same downward trajectory. He went from a highly compensated D1 assistant’s job to a D3 Assistant after being unemployed for over a year with apparently no D1 offers. Not exactly an upwards trajectory.

Don't change your tune now. You specifically called Glenn a rat and said he'd be worse off an Ollie, again you are incorrect. But that isn't a shocker.

Reaction Score
That's a load of crap. You'd go scorched earth on your mentor, former players and former friends just for money? He deserved to be fired for cause. It's not the firing that will keep him from another job. It's the baggage and now this lawsuit. How could you ever hire this guy now? He made himself unemployable.
1. He doesn't believe he was rightly fired. You wouldn't either.

2. Being fired for cause absolutely hinders his chances of getting a job somewhere else.

3. Perhaps I forgot seeing somewhere that there was a settlement on the table. I'm certainly not taking Chief "I'm-hanging-out-with-Dre-right-now-even-though-there's-photo-evidence-he's-thousands-of-miles-away" 00's word. Even then, if I've forgotten it, he'd be leaving more money on the table than some people make in a lifetime and he'd still have been fired for cause, so it would hinder his employment opportunities. That's why part of the lawsuit is defamation.

Reaction Score

2. Being fired for cause absolutely hinders his chances of getting a job somewhere else.

3. Perhaps I forgot seeing somewhere that there was a settlement on the table. I'm certainly not taking Chief "I'm-hanging-out-with-Dre-right-now-even-though-there's-photo-evidence-he's-thousands-of-miles-away" 00's word. Even then, if I've forgotten it, he'd be leaving more money on the table than some people make in a lifetime and he'd still have been fired for cause, so it would hinder his employment opportunities. That's why part of the lawsuit is defamation.
His firing wouldn't have kept him from getting another job. Plenty of cheaters who have done worse have been employed. His problem seems to be that he can't take any responsibility for his actions. So instead of ending everything quietly, he's decided to blow up his career and blame everyone else for his failures. He wouldn't have gotten the job if it wasn't for Calhoun and UConn, but clearly neither mean anything to him anymore.

Reaction Score
This is why you hire a professional coach in the first place. KO isn't worth a dime back after this chaos. Lawyers don't make the calls when you are an alpha. He should have taken the slap on the wrist, some money, the benefit of having role on his resume and move on to assistant somewhere or overseas. This is a poorly played money grab.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I LOVE IT! EXPOSE HIM CHIEF.

Hey Chief- Side question. Did you get the name Chief from the chief himself, Eric Church, or are you just a big KC Chiefs fan? Maybe the Hockey team from Slap Shot?
huh. I always thought it came from this guy, voted nba top 50 players alltime.
this chief is a 'top 50 alltime boneyarder,' tho in my book, more like top 10. cuz, ya know, he actually adds to the 'food for thought' stuff. hey chiefperson, clock the lamebeers here! we got ur back...

Reaction Score

I don't quite get the anger here. These depositions have nothing to do with the "racism" case that KO is bringing separately against Uconn, they are merely to depose the people that the NCAA deposed; it's the basic right of cross examination.

I wish that KO would drop the case, I wish that Uconn and KO would have reached a settlement, but that's not the way it's going, and nobody on this thread knows the real story.

KO was a terrible coach for the last 3 years, but nobody put a gun to the AD's head to get him to offer that last contract. The reason this crap is going on is because the school, instead of just firing KO for ineptitude, is trying to use the "for cause" argument to save the money they foolishly awarded, and this whole mess is as much an indictment of Benedict as it is of KO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His firing wouldn't have kept him from getting another job. Plenty of cheaters who have done worse have been employed. His problem seems to be that he can't take any responsibility for his actions. So instead of ending everything quietly, he's decided to blow up his career and blame everyone else for his failures. He wouldn't have gotten the job if it wasn't for Calhoun and UConn, but clearly neither mean anything to him anymore.
Here's an honest question: who? How long were they away from the sport? Where did they turn back up?

And then, which of them were fired for violations, and which of them were really fired for sucking.

A lot of those guys fired for cause were through NCAA investigations, they weren't accused of lying to the NCAAs, and they were winning when they were fired. Those three things make KO's case different.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom