New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case | Page 20 | The Boneyard

New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case

Reaction Score
Some good points, but you should really back away from the "poor results means the cause provision is triggered" thing.
Apparently I haven't effectively communicated my point. Poor results are a byproduct of Ollie's shortcomings. Process should be evaluated, and in this case it determined outcome. But bad process = fired regardless of W/L measure. Ollie apologists only want to work backwards and say he was fired for bad outcome while totally ignoring the doing his job part which was actually worse than the Win-Loss record.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Where are we with UConn being racist? That seemed to disappear quickly

The fed ct judge dismissed that case as not yet ripe for litigation, since the arbitration proceedings have yet to be finished. It's a non-starter.

Reaction Score
Lets go point by point here...

Kemba also was on the college squad that played against the USA world championship in training camp so him practicing against Westbrook, Rose, Curry, and Billups probably had more to do with that than KO.

Shabazz did get much better but how much of that was due to KO or was it the fact that he played better when he had a chip on his shoulder.

Boatright I love Ryan he was all heart and was super talented but I would argue he wasn't much better from his Junior to Senior year.

DeAndre Daniels, did get better but it wasn't by leaps and bounds some of that may just be because he got more opportunities.

Brimah was the exact same player he was when he was a Freshman.

Hamilton his skills were solid when he came here solid when he left.

You failed to mention Purvis, Facey, Nolan, Larrier, Enoch, Durham, Jackson, either didn't get better or transfered out of the program.

You mentioned graduation rate if only you won championships for good academics as long as the APR is good I think most would agree we would rather win above all else.

You also failed to mention that we had more 20 point losses in his tenure ever and a team that quit most games. We all love KO but to defend him after the last two years is just crazy.
I thought I was out of this but OK. SO KO was the coach and many players got better for other reasons including a chip on his shoulder?
No further response except to mote it's absolute absudity.
Facey during his senior year was vastly improved.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm more sympathetic to your POV, but that strategy did work off-BY.

I don't live in CT, so I'm not familiar with local sentiments, but if I were a CT taxpayer, I'd consider it a BSC idea to pay a failed ex state employee over 10 million $$$, with the state budget on the verge of bankruptcy. I wouldn't want my tax dollars spent that way just because I think Ollie's a good guy, especially when there's zero legal basis for doing it.

Reaction Score
I thought I was out of this but OK. SO KO was the coach and many players got better for other reasons including a chip on his shoulder?
No further response except to mote it's absolute absudity.
Facey during his senior year was vastly improved.

Vastly improved from being irrelevant after coming in as a promising 4 star recruit. Ollie deserves all credit. Is Facey even playing professional basketball anymore?

Reaction Score
Vastly improved from being irrelevant after coming in as a promising 4 star recruit. Ollie deserves all credit. Is Facey even playing professional basketball anymore?
Because no coach has recruited 4 star and 5's who never panned out. He was a starter in his senior year.

Reaction Score
I know he was playing last year.

Reaction Score
Because no coach has recruited 4 star and 5's who never panned out. He was a starter in his senior year.

Calhoun started the Facey recruitment & I agree with you that Ollie deserves 100% of the credit for what Facey became.

Reaction Score
Calhoun started the Facey recruitment & I agree with you that Ollie deserves 100% of the credit for what Facey became.

As a KO supporter there are plenty of valid reasons for his firings, this just does not happen to be one.
This is anecdotal at best. How many players did JC bring in who were highly touted and turned out to be overhyped.
Wasn't Hazleton a top recruit?

Reaction Score
Absolutely not...big difference between what cleaning up a mess and changing the culture around a program and getting your players to come to UConn. Ollie who as a coach had stopped trying to develop his players and was struggling to be engaged on the recruiting trail. I mean look at the leap Carlton took under Hurley this year, I am not saying his leap would have been huge his freshman year but he was basically the same player on Day 1 as he was after the SMU game last year.

And while it was just rumors, there were substantial rumors about a number of players ready to jump ship under Ollie. Of more import, even to a casual observer, the improvement of the team play under Hurley in general was significant. I wonder if we will ever know what happened to the masterful Ollie that outcoached some big name coaches to win a national title who transitioned to a coach who couldn’t recruit and seemed to lose his team on the floor.

Reaction Score
As a KO supporter there are plenty of valid reasons for his firings, this just does not happen to be one.
This is anecdotal at best. How many players did JC bring in who were highly touted and turned out to be overhyped.

Not going to compare to JC to Ollie. Under Ollies leadership we received the following

Players to Transfer: 6 out of 16 (Can't count 2017 class because Ollie got fired before anyone could transfer)
Players to go to NBA: 1
Players to improve: 3 (Nolan, Facey & Hamilton)
Players to get worse: 2 (Purvis & Brimah)
Players in NBA: 0

2012: Calhouns Recruits
Calhoun - Never improved under Ollie, also hurt
Nolan - Improved, I guess
2013:
Brimah - Never Improved
Samuels - Transferred
Facey - Improved
2014:
Lubin - Transferred
Cassell Jr - Transferred
Hamilton - Improved
2015:
Enoch - Transferred
Adams - Good Recruit
Purvis - Good transfer, never improved
2016:
Jackson - Transferred
Durham - Transferred
Gilbert - Injured
Diarra - Injured
Vital - Solid Recruit
2017:
Polley - Improved under Hurley
Wilson - Never played for Ollie
Carlton - Improved under Hurley
Williams - Never played for Ollie
Whaley - Never played for Ollie
Cobb - Never played for Ollie
Larrier - Good transfer, never improved, also hurt

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I mean, player development was one of the top reasons I was ready to move on.

Not everyone pans out, true. Some guys are over-hyped*. But guys were just not getting better at an appreciable rate. The guys who left did so because they were not developing, and there wasn't a quality plan in place to do so. Even mentioned in the media.

Now you could argue it's recruiting the wrong guys that got KO fired. But a number of players should have improved much more significantly than they did.

*Hazleton was overrated coming in, as a number of posters were aware of at the time. He got into the AA game based on politics alone. You can see that by how he ended up at URI. Got no real high major offers.

I personally do not think Facey was one of those guys. He had all the tools to be far better than he was. Not 1st team All conference, but a much more effective player than he ever became.

Reaction Score
I mean, player development was one of the top reasons I was ready to move on.

Not everyone pans out, true. Some guys are over-hyped*. But guys were just not getting better at an appreciable rate. The guys who left did so because they were not developing, and there wasn't a quality plan in place to do so. Even mentioned in the media.

Now you could argue it's recruiting the wrong guys that got KO fired. But a number of players should have improved much more significantly than they did.

*Hazleton was overrated coming in, as a number of posters were aware of at the time. He got into the AA game based on politics alone. You can see that by how he ended up at URI. Got no real high major offers.

I personally do not think Facey was one of those guys. He had all the tools to be far better than he was. Not 1st team All conference, but a much more effective player than he ever became.
Actually I think my point was missed. I agree about player development. With him it was hit or miss with to many misses. I responding to the specific poster who for every success gave a rebuttal that to me just did not hold water.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Actually I think my point was missed. I agree about player development. With him it was hit or miss with to many misses. I responding to the specific poster who for every success gave a rebuttal that to me just did not hold water.

Ahh gotcha. For the record, I bear KO no ill will. But I'm happy he was let go, for a number of reasons.

I also understand why both the school and KO are taking their respective tacks. I don't necessarily agree with his and his counsel's approach though, as I'm not sure it benefits him in the long run as much as a different one could have. jmo tho

Reaction Score
Don’t get me going on the APR nonsense!
APR could be a problem this yr. Heard from someone in academics that one scholarship player already drop out and is out of CT. Another 1-2 are having a hard time keeping up. For sake of UCONN and its future, I hope that is not true

Reaction Score
Why do you waste your time trying to convince us you care about UConn (learn how to spell it, by the way)?
This is very seriou BTW. One player is already full fail. If JA or CV decide to go pro and skip the rest of the yr. UCONN is in deep doodoo. BTW, they r not the players that r having academic problems

pj

Reaction Score
This is very seriou BTW. One player is already full fail. If JA or CV decide to go pro and skip the rest of the yr. UCONN is in deep doodoo. BTW, they r not the players that r having academic problems

UConn like other D1 schools has implemented a system whereby players get enough credits in summer session, fall, and intersession classes to maintain good standing for APR purposes even if they fail out of spring classes. This protects the university from players who leave mid-semester to turn pro or who quit caring about academics once basketball is over.

So it's unlikely that the scenario you are mapping out will take place.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I am my own man FYI. I have one handle
Wait you are guy? Why is your handle (or at least this one) Alexa?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I'm not mad at him, I just don't think he's acting in his best interest, whether due to bad advice, or bad choice, idk. I think it hurts his long term employability. Rightly or wrongly, you are always playing with fire when you go after a former employer. Potential future employers look at that and immediately think "that could be us".

I don't know how it all went down either. Myself, I'd be tempted to settle and spin it as injuries lost me that job. Any other school is gonna look right past those violations if they are interested in him. No idea what the level of interest would be of course.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The most accurate thing you said is that you don’t know how it all went down. Everyone is speculating. Do we even know if KO has any interest in coaching college basketball again?

Who knows? But it's not a good look for any future coaching opportunities, college or pro.

If he doesn't want to coach again, that's another story.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom