New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case | Page 21 | The Boneyard

New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case

Reaction Score
UConn like other D1 schools has implemented a system whereby players get enough credits in summer session, fall, and intersession classes to maintain good standing for APR purposes even if they fail out of spring classes. This protects the university from players who leave mid-semester to turn pro or who quit caring about academics once basketball is over.

So it's unlikely that the scenario you are mapping out will take place.
yes and no. Could be trouble ahead if they dont come back

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What is not a good look?
Whats not a good look? Him asking for his salary if he feels that UConn and a an alleged disgruntled fired assistant coach came together to have him fired without pay? Is it not a good look not to roll over for something like this? Do you think if he wanted to coach in the NBA they care about the rules of the NCAA, a private governing body? I asked what’s not a good look?

It's not a good look to go scorched earth in a public forum. No shame in fight it, but Ollie's pulling out all stops.

NO future employer is going to look at that and be psyched about it. The first thing on their minds is, if we fire this guy, are we going to have a problem?

They're not going to look at it from KO's perspective, they are going to look at it from an employers perspective.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Alexa has the answers and is willing to do the research for truth.

Then why did you ignore the details vis a vis the APR fiasco, specifically with regards to UCONN? It's been rehashed a billion times, but retroactive, double jeopardy is nothing but a screwjob.

And really, looking at it from a top down perspective, the only thing UCONN was really guilty of was incompetence in reporting scores. Just do like 80% of other institutions and fudge the numbers.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It’s your opinion that he went scorched earth. I don’t see it that way. I see someone fighting for what he feels is injust. It’s hard for you to see it that way because you have an opinion of how you think things played out. There has not been Abdur process. There are allegations and he has a right to refute any allegations. That’s how the law works. You wanted him gone and I get it. I just think he feels the way things were handled differently for his predecessor who actually had due process. UConn was under the gun and their guy was headed to Pitt. Hasty moves had to be made. That’s clear but don’t think Ollie doesn’t deserve a rebuttle.
So what exactly do you feel happened or failed to happen to KO to create a due process issue. You keep using that phrase, you must have a reason for it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It’s your opinion that he went scorched earth. I don’t see it that way. I see someone fighting for what he feels is injust. It’s hard for you to see it that way because you have an opinion of how you think things played out. There has not been Abdur process. There are allegations and he has a right to refute any allegations. That’s how the law works. You wanted him gone and I get it. I just think he feels the way things were handled differently for his predecessor who actually had due process. UConn was under the gun and their guy was headed to Pitt. Hasty moves had to be made. That’s clear but don’t think Ollie doesn’t deserve a rebuttle.

I'm removing emotion from it completely. I'm merely stating a natural organizational reaction to the proceedings.

Future employers would look at a few of the things they put forth in public, most specifically the 'different treatment for head coaches of different races', and be like, "no thanks". Don't want to chance that one, when you could easily hire someone equivalent over here.

As a tangential example, there's a reason why whistle blowers don't find new work easily in their respective professions. It's not the same situation, but it's a similar concept. Why take the risk? From an employer perspective, KO's not heads and tails above any other coach, so just go for the safe option.

You can argue against it based on your affection for Kevin Ollie, or your idea of right and wrong, but human nature dictates that people would be wary.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Who is the whistle blower? Ollie?

There is no 'whistleblower'. I said the situation is not completely analogous. Twice. The concept is that, future employers look warily at employees who went after their old employers, even if completely justified in doing so.

Would you fight for your contractual rights if you were in Ollie’s shoes? Let’s all be real here. Upwards of 11m you would let go along with your good name all in one shot.

You seem to think future employers care about right and wrong. They don't. They care about PR and possible future exposure. In reality, a whistle blower should be given a medal, but future employers don't look at it that way.

Personally, I would have done everything in my power to settle, but that's neither here nor there. I would care about future income. But I'm pragmatic.

You all want him to go away. How can he go away, he has a degree from UConn. That will be with him forever. He is an alumn. I’m rational enough to remove my personal feelings from the situation and see things from his perspective.

This has nothing to do with what I think about Ollie or fighting for contractual rights. I think everyone would expect Ollie to fight in some regard, but only in a certain manner.

You haven't removed your personal feelings at all when considering future employment. Again, anyone who's gone against their company, in some of the ways that Ollie has, is going to 'untouchable' in a fashion. For example, fighting this battle through the media (ESPN) in the hopes of swaying public sentiment and thereby to put pressure on UCONN. No future employer would want that were they ever to fire said employee.

We all need a reality check here. I just think there is a lot more to this that will come out or Ollie would’ve disappeared a long time ago.

If Ollie's side had a better card to play, they would have played it. Most of their tactics smell of desperation at this point.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
One could look at it as UConn pulling g out tactics of desperation. We don’t know what card Ollie is playing. None of us were at the mediation. Let’s just wait and see. What we think doesn’t matter anyway.

Got that right. It's legal theater for us.

Reaction Score
Got that right. It's legal theater for us.
Depending on the actual reason.
2 players have been out for personal reasons.

The coaches lawyer said this.
Joseph, a former Purdue standout as a player, is in her 16th season as head coach of the Yellow Jackets. Her attorney, Lisa Banks, said last week that Joseph has not been told the specifics of why she was put on leave, and called it an "act of retaliation" for Joseph, raising concerns about gender equity issues in the school's athletic department.

Reaction Score
Depending on the actual reason.
2 players have been out for personal reasons.

The coaches lawyer said this.
Joseph, a former Purdue standout as a player, is in her 16th season as head coach of the Yellow Jackets. Her attorney, Lisa Banks, said last week that Joseph has not been told the specifics of why she was put on leave, and called it an "act of retaliation" for Joseph, raising concerns about gender equity issues in the school's athletic department.

She knew...

MaChelle Joseph fired at Georgia Tech

>>Joseph was dismissed Tuesday in a face-to-face meeting with athletic director Todd Stansbury, a month after she was placed on leave when team members brought forward concerns of mistreatment to the institute’s legal department.<<

>>Among the findings of the report, obtained by an open-records request, at least nine members of the team said they could not trust any member of the coaching staff. None said they trusted Joseph.

Players said that they felt Joseph pressured them to play through injury or sickness and found her to be demeaning and manipulating. Several players said they felt that information shared with a team psychologist was shared with the coaching staff. They used words such as toxic, draining and hostile to describe the team environment. Stansbury called the report “heartbreaking.”<<

Last edited:

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Jacobs felt the need to print the leak to him wasn’t from the UConn AD... you do realize why he felt the need to do that right?

Because people connected the dots in real time.

If one were to assume I’m right, it’s the only reasonably savvy thing Benedict has ever done.

If I’m wrong and the potential ten million dollar savings fell in his lap... thoughts and prayers to anyone who supports him.

Jeff is a friend of mine, I went to school with his son, and he asked me to pass this along to defend himself:

“Despite what Whaler11 has continued to assert for a year, David Benedict was not the source for my report that UConn was under investigation by the NCAA. Whaler11 can continue to carve me up all he wants on every issue. It is his opinion. But it is wrong ethically for me to sit by and not correct his factual error. 100 percent Benedict was not one of my multiple sources. Benedict was in Asia at the time and, in fact, held me off for a couple days before he and the school confirmed it ON THE RECORD. I went out of my way early on to point this out to quell initial assertions. But Whaler11 continues to spout a falsehood. Unfair to Benedict, the school, me and anybody interested in the truth.”
-Jeff Jacobs

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Jeff is a friend of mine, I went to school with his son, and he asked me to pass this along to defend himself:

“Despite what Whaler11 has continued to assert for a year, David Benedict was not the source for my report that UConn was under investigation by the NCAA. Whaler11 can continue to carve me up all he wants on every issue. It is his opinion. But it is wrong ethically for me to sit by and not correct his factual error. 100 percent Benedict was not one of my multiple sources. Benedict was in Asia at the time and, in fact, held me off for a couple days before he and the school confirmed it ON THE RECORD. I went out of my way early on to point this out to quell initial assertions. But Whaler11 continues to spout a falsehood. Unfair to Benedict, the school, me and anybody interested in the truth.”
-Jeff Jacobs

Yeah your boy Jeff is a lame for this. He can make an account and defend himself. Why is he using you as a mouth piece?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

-Jeff Jacobs
Oh boy...

Reaction Score

-Jeff Jacobs
Lol this can't be real life

Reaction Score
Waiting on Whaler...
RHiD0K65NxxLO.gif

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

-Jeff Jacobs

lol tell him to post from his own account.

i’ve also said it was the athletic department and not specifically benedict.

from barkhamsted to cos cob and all down the fisk-nettles line use anonymous sources and people might not trust you - sorry not sorry.

what’s unfair is highly compensated inept state employees continuing to bungle every situation - if jeff doesn’t like to be challenged on where his info comes from - tell him to put a name on it.

and lol at Benedict was in Asia. what in the ever living hell does that matter? couldn’t have talked to benedict. he was in ASIA! its when he includes dumb crap like that trust stuff even less.

i hardly carve jeff up on every issue i like him - i just don’t believe that the leak on this didn’t come from someone at UConn - although I’d accept Miller as an answer as well if he wants to be techincal about it. nobody else would have the motivation of the timing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

-Jeff Jacobs
Not a fan of Jacobs due to how he treated Calhoun but I will point out that, just because people are connecting dots doesn't mean they are connecting them correctly and reaching an accurate conclusion. At this point, I will believe what Jacobs says over what Whaler and a few others here say and that is saying a lot.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
Yeah your boy Jeff is a lame for this. He can make an account and defend himself. Why is he using you as a mouth piece?

In his defense y'all are crazy about posting here when signing up. My took forever to get approved. :)

Reaction Score
Jeff said he didn’t know how to post and asked a favor. He says he wanted to set the record straight, and anyone who wants to talk to him to send him their phone number in an email or on twitter DM and he will speak with anybody personally.
If he wants to be that involved you should set up a monthly thread with Q&A.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom