New 2019 UConn Football roster up | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New 2019 UConn Football roster up

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
What makes you think it is the worst team in the country?
It pretty much is. We were last year and have only a handful of seniors coming back.
We need all the bodies we can get. Kinda scary going to camp with at least 6 schollys available, no?

Reaction Score
This 25 man rule has only been in place for a few years, I think less than 5. Compared to that chart it doesn’t you show the rule did much to curb a problem- if their was a problem.

I don’t understand why people aren’t bothered that UConn and dozens of other schools will have many unused scholarships yet again this year because of this stupid rule. UConn could be supporting as many as eight more kids with a free education. That’s an true unintended consequence if there ever was one.

And how come some of you have lost sight of the fact that hundreds of kids are in the portal right now destine for FCS or lower only because this stupid rule denies them a seat.

The portal has become a nightmare for many kids- many who could be at a new school, but denied a slot because of this silly rule.
I disagree. Based on history, schools would abuse the rule if they were allowed to sign more than 25 kids per year. If you have 125 potential scholarships over 5 years (redshirts) how can you not have 85 kids on the roster most years? The only way is roster mismanagement.

As for kids in the transfer portal, the vast majority are walk ons who did not get a scholarship at their current school. Then you have kids with issues, don't fit on your team, aren't immediately eligible, etc. Look, Edsall took a freshmen kid from Canada this week instead of taking a kid from the portal. Draw your own conclusion, but it tells me he likes this player more than anybody in the portal.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You were recruited to play at Alabama and red shirted your freshman year. They brought in two highly recruited players for your position and you are lost on the bench. You either leave to play elsewhere or stay at Alabama, get a degree and go to multiple SEC and National Championships. Take home all of the spoils that those wins provide plus the cache that you were on multiple championship teams at Alabama. You are a lesser legend in Alabama for the rest of your life. Tell everyone how you got into the game to block the edge on the final PAT when Alabama made the score 31 to 14. Not a bad life as you move onto a career in business. I can see it happening!

This is fine if the player eventually recognizes that football is a means to an end other than more football but most every single 17 year old signs an LOI with a deep belief that they're name will be called on a Thursday night in mid-April.

Also, Nick Saban is in his mid 70s. There was a time not so long ago (when Saban quit on the Dolphins) that Bama was barely mediocre under Mike Shula.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What makes you think it is the worst team in the country?

mostly the roster and the coaching staff. the usual things that add up to the worst team in the country. although utep or new mexico state or umass could in theory be marginally worse but thats a difference without a distinction.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I disagree. Based on history, schools would abuse the rule if they were allowed to sign more than 25 kids per year. If you have 125 potential scholarships over 5 years (redshirts) how can you not have 85 kids on the roster most years? The only way is roster mismanagement.

As for kids in the transfer portal, the vast majority are walk ons who did not get a scholarship at their current school. Then you have kids with issues, don't fit on your team, aren't immediately eligible, etc. Look, Edsall took a freshmen kid from Canada this week instead of taking a kid from the portal. Draw your own conclusion, but it tells me he likes this player more than anybody in the portal.
I totally disagree about the portal. There are a bunch of kids out there that totally overplayed their hand. It’s the first year of the portal - and many kids mismanaged themselves.

I couldn’t have a more different point of view. UConn like many other schools will have many unused scholarships (again) and that is helping no one. No one. Especially kids.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And Whaler, before the 105 scholarship limit was implemented in 1973, schools could have unlimited football scholarships and some schools had up to 150 kids on scholarship! Roster churn was much higher than you see today.

well obviously when the rosters had 150 kids here was more churn.

listen you think the ncaa can legislate behavior better than people making their own free decisions. not sure what evidence you’ve ever seen that leads you to that conclusion but whatever people support all kids of dumb rules

Reaction Score
It’s College Ball. Ain’t Fantasy gambling football

It’s about Development of kids. And athletic and emotional improvement. UConn - over the last 20 years - has loads of interesting and rewarding stories.

You should be able to fully manage a roster of 105. Yes. I don’t discount walk ons; the ones today are far more productive than those 20 years ago. Heck ... I’m dating myself, but most of my lifetime, the NFL had a 40 man roster. Then Practice Squad. For a more physical game. And longer season.

I don’t think Randy Edsall is severely handicapped when 2 kids get into grades purgatory; he probably likes the lessons taught to the others. And while it’s SAD to see Jeff Woods not work out; we have retained a large number of guys - give we are the WORST team in CFB.

Reaction Score
mostly the roster and the coaching staff. the usual things that add up to the worst team in the country. although utep or new mexico state or umass could in theory be marginally worse but thats a difference without a distinction.
I will predict now, that we will be far from the worst team in the nation.

Reaction Score
Then

There’s this from West Point, NY

“Army West Point Football Head Coach Jeff Monken has announced a recruiting class of 76 athletes participating in Reception Day at West Point.

The Class of 2023 marks Monken’s fifth full recruiting class and includes players from 25 states.”

Reaction Score
Then

There’s this from West Point, NY

“Army West Point Football Head Coach Jeff Monken has announced a recruiting class of 76 athletes participating in Reception Day at West Point.

The Class of 2023 marks Monken’s fifth full recruiting class and includes players from 25 states.”

Different circumstances w/ the Academies...

>>Navy head football coach Ken Niumatalolo released the names of the 2019 football recruiting class on Thursday evening as 57 prospects representing 22 states went through induction ceremonies and began plebe summer.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom