New 2019 UConn Football roster up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New 2019 UConn Football roster up

Reaction Score
Update, like I said, was out of pocket this afternoon and didn’t monitor twitter. The only player is no surprise, it’s Eli Thomas who is not going to play this fall- career is over. So - yeah that’s it - no other roster changes at this hour.
Would be nice to see us (out of the blue) grab a few surprise transfers (via the portal) throughout camp.. I remember years ago when, after the first few weeks of camp, we lost a couple of kids to Towson... Maybe this can happen with us from one of those higher level P5 schools.. Eligibility might be an issue but, heck, we get them into our program for the bigger season (2020) at least..

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Would be nice to see us (out of the blue) grab a few surprise transfers (via the portal) throughout camp.. I remember years ago when, after the first few weeks of camp, we lost a couple of kids to Towson... Maybe this can happen with us from one of those higher level P5 schools.. Eligibility might be an issue but, heck, we get them into our program for the bigger season (2020) at least..
Don’t think we can get more- 25 man annual cap issue.

Reaction Score
I believe, and definitely could be wrong because of youth, that Jackson Mitchell will surprise some at LB. I even believe Webb will be in the mix. And if Ganyi figures things out he is a solid athlete to put at the second level. Opinions of course. Hopefully Hahn improved and got faster. Didn’t run fit too well last season
That’s an understatement. Hahn was utterly inept. No leverage, bad angles, poor vision, no instinct... just an utter mess. Might be an athlete but he’s got none of the natural instincts of a good LB. I hope a few natural hunters emerge.

Reaction Score
That’s an understatement. Hahn was utterly inept. No leverage, bad angles, poor vision, no instinct... just an utter mess. Might be an athlete but he’s got none of the natural instincts of a good LB. I hope a few natural hunters emerge.
Just didn’t want to fry the kid. Needless to say, instincts are definitely a must at that position. Hoping for the same

Reaction Score
Strikes me as a bit harsh, no?
Hate to single him out, but the kid was just god awful at LB. I don’t think there is much you can do to improve a guy that just doesn’t have any instinct or feel for the position.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Woods is a Loss. Came early - RE and the staff thought he could play right away.

Reaction Score
Hate to single him out, but the kid was just god awful at LB. I don’t think there is much you can do to improve a guy that just doesn’t have any instinct or feel for the position.
Yeah it was tough to watch. 6-3 and under 215 as an ilb. He shouldnt have been there. The Dline was so underdeveloped that he often got swallowed up by Olinemen 100lbs bigger.Tackled with his head down too. Didnt he get moved there after the two other lbs got moved to de early?

Reaction Score
I blame Scheme

Sure. The tackling notably sucked. And it wasn’t just Hahn. But too often, you had a talented playmaker just openly running in space. CBs & LBs looked silly chasing. And that DLine - all puppies - didn’t provide much resistance. And it seemed like we could do nothing. Nothing to heal our fragile structure in struggles.

Reaction Score
It was very difficult to watch.

Reaction Score
Who is the 25 signee rule supposed to benefit?

Let’s create fewer opportunities for kids and also let a ton of kids langish in the transfer portal!

Brilliant stuff.

I think it’s the constraint

If you don’t have the 25 signee rule, the Alabama of the World will sign 45

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Who is the 25 signee rule supposed to benefit?

Let’s create fewer opportunities for kids and also let a ton of kids langish in the transfer portal!

Brilliant stuff.
I fully expect the rule to be gutted in the next two years. A certain number of transfers and grads should be exempted per season.

Reaction Score
You can’t sign past 85 would seem to fix that.
Believe it or not, the 25 rule benefits the players. First, think about this. In a five year cycle, you can sign 125 players (assuming redshirts), but the roster can only be 85, so you can have 40 kids leave the program, or 8 per year (33% attrition) and still be at 85.

If teams were allowed to sign as many players as they wanted, you would see kids pushed out of programs on a large scale, especially when there is a coaching change. The rule forces coaches to try to keep and develop some kids that they could probably replace with either new recruits or transfers. Ole Miss signed 38 kids in 2009 (although not all made it to campus), but that meant kids on the roster had to be pushed off scholarship.

What the transfer portal has done is make the transfer process more transparent as previously transfers were negotiated through back channels. The problem with the portal is kids are denouncing their current scholarship without a landing spot. Kids think that since they were heavily recruited as high school athletes that they will be highly sought after as transfers and it has never worked that way as there are reasons why kids transfer.

One last point on the portal. Most of the kids in the football portal are walk ons looking for a school to offer a scholarship which makes sense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, the 25 rule benefits the players. First, think about this. In a five year cycle, you can sign 125 players (assuming redshirts), but the roster can only be 85, so you can have 40 kids leave the program, or 8 per year (33% attrition) and still be at 85.

If teams were allowed to sign as many players as they wanted, you would see kids pushed out of programs on a large scale, especially when there is a coaching change. The rule forces coaches to try to keep and develop some kids that they could probably replace with either new recruits or transfers. Ole Miss signed 38 kids in 2009 (although not all made it to campus), but that meant kids on the roster had to be pushed off scholarship.

What the transfer portal has done is make the transfer process more transparent as previously transfers were negotiated through back channels. The problem with the portal is kids are denouncing their current scholarship without a landing spot. Kids think that since they were heavily recruited as high school athletes that they will be highly sought after as transfers and it has never worked that way as there are reasons why kids transfer.

One last point on the portal. Most of the kids in the football portal are walk ons looking for a school to offer a scholarship which makes sense.

who is saying to let them sign whatever they want?

it’s dumb to have teams 6 scholarships short because SEC teams screw kids.

if you give kids one free pass to transfer and only allow teams to have 85 kids signed the market will solve itself.

Reaction Score
who is saying to let them sign whatever they want?

it’s dumb to have teams 6 scholarships short because SEC teams screw kids.

if you give kids one free pass to transfer and only allow teams to have 85 kids signed the market will solve itself.
It wasn’t just the SEC that signed large classes before the new rules set in. Schools from ACC, PAC 12, Big 12, Big East,... did it. Kids were aggressively pushed out in the past to make room.

And, there will be close to 85 kids on scholarship as walk ons that have been with the program for at least 2 years can be granted a scholarship that doesn’t count against the 25 rule and a scholarship can be for just one year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It wasn’t just the SEC that signed large classes before the new rules set in. Schools from ACC, PAC 12, Big 12, Big East,... did it. Kids were aggressively pushed out in the past to make room.

And, there will be close to 85 kids on scholarship as walk ons that have been with the program for at least 2 years can be granted a scholarship that doesn’t count against the 25 rule and a scholarship can be for just one year.

god forbid there just be simple fair rules instead of this idiocy that has teams playing down 5-6 scholarships because kids are too dumb to count.

yeah giving temporary scholarships to unproductive walkons really helps make uconn competitive in the future.

as of today they are effectively down 8 scholarship players and no one has even gotten hurt yet in camp.

and some people are going to be surprised when they are life and death with Wagner

Reaction Score
I’d argue you’ll yield a few Walk On productivity players per year. A solid Program effectively uses these kids. The dynamics of our state & New England tells me that we can produce stars and some solid roster plugs this way.

Reaction Score
Alternatively, maybe the vast majority of I-AA schools losing money may prefer to avoid compounding their losses.

please stop, please. Schools are not losing money because they have an athletics program. My kid plays 1-AA football and gets aid. you know what the school does to offset it? They charge their "students" more. The tuition is not set absent the scholarships/expenses. They don't lose $$ giving aid. Bama doesn't, UConn doesn't, Podunk U doesn't. If they eliminated football (Bama aside), one might reasonably demand a reduction in tuition. We need to stop the craziness around how schools account for their athletic dept.

Reaction Score
please stop, please. Schools are not losing money because they have an athletics program. My kid plays 1-AA football ... blah, blah, blah
Please stop, even your message directly acknowledges additional athletic scholarship costs have a direct-resulting impact on university operations and potentially normal students’ tuition costs.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom