New 2019 UConn Football roster up | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New 2019 UConn Football roster up

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Took me a while to find where I had dumped this... Jeff Long agrees.
we'd probably benefit a little from something like this, BUT, we still need to get over a few hurdles so we can get a few more impact recruits (one of which most agree won't happen anytime soon - a campus stadium)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
we'd probably benefit a little from something like this, BUT, we still need to get over a few hurdles so we can get a few more impact recruits (one of which most agree won't happen anytime soon - a campus stadium)

having 85 scholarship players is better than 79 even if you play your home games on mars

Reaction Score
who is saying to let them sign whatever they want?

it’s dumb to have teams 6 scholarships short because SEC teams screw kids.

if you give kids one free pass to transfer and only allow teams to have 85 kids signed the market will solve itself.
Completely agree here

Reaction Score
having 85 scholarship players is better than 79 even if you play your home games on mars
I don't think the UConn football scholarship situation is an issue. Sure, 85 is better than 79, but the new rules on redshirting mean that you can play the freshmen in 4 games and still redshirt them which means you have more depth than you did in the past. In the past, if you had a roster of 85 and were redshirting 20, it meant that your active roster was 65.

UConn is not the only school with this issue and there will be many teams without 85 scholarship players this year. Kansas may have 68 scholarship players in 2019 and it may take until the 2022 season to get back to 85. The tis how bad the roster was managed with JUCOs, coaching turnover,... UConn will be back to 85 in 2020.

How did UConn get into this situation? It really goes back to 2014 to 2016 when UConn only signed 54 kids over a 3 year time frame. (I'm not counting some transfers in, but the point is the same.) That is way too few players to sign in a 3 year period as there is going to be roster attrition. Clearly, another one of Diaco's flaws was roster management. Some will argue there was too much roster turnover this year, but only one player was probably going to start this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think the UConn football scholarship situation is an issue. Sure, 85 is better than 79, but the new rules on redshirting mean that you can play the freshmen in 4 games and still redshirt them which means you have more depth than you did in the past. In the past, if you had a roster of 85 and were redshirting 20, it meant that your active roster was 65.

UConn is not the only school with this issue and there will be many teams without 85 scholarship players this year. Kansas may have 68 scholarship players in 2019 and it may take until the 2022 season to get back to 85. The tis how bad the roster was managed with JUCOs, coaching turnover,... UConn will be back to 85 in 2020.

How did UConn get into this situation? It really goes back to 2014 to 2016 when UConn only signed 54 kids over a 3 year time frame. (I'm not counting some transfers in, but the point is the same.) That is way too few players to sign in a 3 year period as there is going to be roster attrition. Clearly, another one of Diaco's flaws was roster management. Some will argue there was too much roster turnover this year, but only one player was probably going to start this year.

it’s the worst team in the country and you don’t think playing down 8 scholarships on day 1 of camp is an issue?

thats some galaxy brain stuff right there

Reaction Score
Please stop, even your message directly acknowledges additional athletic scholarship costs have a direct-resulting impact on university operations and potentially normal students’ tuition costs.

Here we go - my argument failed, so let me change it. Yes, ANY freaking cost, athletic or otherwise, has an impact on operations/costs. My 9 y.o. knows that. That's not what you said - what you did say say was many were losing money by supporting football - which is patently false.

Reaction Score
Here we go - my argument failed, so let me change it. Yes, ANY freaking cost, athletic or otherwise, has an impact on operations/costs.
Semantics, you keep thinking there’s no resulting losses and we’ll agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
Who is the 25 signee rule supposed to benefit?

Let’s create fewer opportunities for kids and also let a ton of kids langish in the transfer portal!

Brilliant stuff.

The reason is to protect players already in the program from being pushed out. There is fear -- not ridiculous -- that if you allow a coach to bring in as many players as they can each year, as long as they keep under 85 in total, every player not a star will be recruited over and have their schollies pulled.

If schools couldn't pull schollies except where there is cause, then the limit would be dumb.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The reason is to protect players already in the program from being pushed out. There is fear -- not ridiculous -- that if you allow a coach to bring in as many players as they can each year, as long as they keep under 85 in total, every player not a star will be recruited over and have their schollies pulled.

If schools couldn't pull schollies except where there is cause, then the limit would be dumb.

and coaches that pull scholarships will get buried in recruiting. like i said the market solves it, all the ncaa does is make things worse with their lame efforts to legislate behavior.

Reaction Score
and coaches that pull scholarships will get buried in recruiting. like i said the market solves it, all the ncaa does is make things worse with their lame efforts to legislate behavior.

The market may solve it long term (although we can argue about how efficient or inefficient that market is). But it doesn't solve it for players who get pushed out just because it is easy for a coach to do so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The market may solve it long term (although we can argue about how efficient or inefficient that market is). But it doesn't solve it for players who get pushed out just because it is easy for a coach to do so.

i dont see how it makes it easier? you think they keep kids they don’t want because of the cap? so maybe the upside is it forces coaches to keep kids they dont want - who does that benefit?

Reaction Score
i dont see how it makes it easier? you think they keep kids they don’t want because of the cap? so maybe the upside is it forces coaches to keep kids they dont want - who does that benefit?

Seriously? It benefits kids who are keeping their nose clean and want to stay at one school for their career but turn out to not be as good as their coaches hoped.

Why the struggle? This isn't a difficult concept?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seriously? It benefits kids who are keeping their nose clean and want to stay at one school for their career but turn out to not be as good as their coaches hoped.

Why the struggle? This isn't a difficult concept?

It doesn’t seem to work like that in practice. They still run kids off it just costs other kids opportunities.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t seem to work like that in practice. They still run kids off it just costs other kids opportunities.
I didn't say no one gets runs off. But the 25 per year rules serves to reduce the running off that can occur.

Reaction Score
Whaler probably doesn't remember history and how schools can and will use the rules to their benefit to win.

Do you remember Pitt football winning the national championship in 1976? Great team lead by running back Tony Dorsett, but Pitt had been one of the worst football teams in 1972 going 1-10. How did they turn it around?

Pitt hired Johnny Majors, but Pitt had a voluntary agreement with Penn State, Syracuse, and West Virginia to limit scholarships to 25 players per year which was designed to regulate the football programs. One of the first things Pitt did after hiring Majors was to remove the 25 scholarship limit. And, in 1973, schools still had unlimited scholarships, although 1973 was the last year of unlimited scholarships. So what did Majors do? He brought in a recruiting class that was estimated at 76 players (the attached article estimates the class was 65 to 100) and then weeded them out.

With redshirt years, you can currently bring in 125 kids over a 5 year period to make a roster of 85, but you have to manage the roster over time. That should be more than enough kids to make a roster.

The 25 limit really protects the kids as there would be much higher attrition at schools if they were allowed to bring in more than 25 kids a year.

Class of ’73 keyed Pitt’s magical season

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Glad
Whaler probably doesn't remember history and how schools can and will use the rules to their benefit to win.

Do you remember Pitt football winning the national championship in 1976? Great team lead by running back Tony Dorsett, but Pitt had been one of the worst football teams in 1972 going 1-10. How did they turn it around?

Pitt hired Johnny Majors, but Pitt had a voluntary agreement with Penn State, Syracuse, and West Virginia to limit scholarships to 25 players per year which was designed to regulate the football programs. One of the first things Pitt did after hiring Majors was to remove the 25 scholarship limit. And, in 1973, schools still had unlimited scholarships, although 1973 was the last year of unlimited scholarships. So what did Majors do? He brought in a recruiting class that was estimated at 76 players (the attached article estimates the class was 65 to 100) and then weeded them out.

With redshirt years, you can currently bring in 125 kids over a 5 year period to make a roster of 85, but you have to manage the roster over time. That should be more than enough kids to make a roster.

The 25 limit really protects the kids as there would be much higher attrition at schools if they were allowed to bring in more than 25 kids a year.

So what you're saying is UConn needs to hire Johnny Majors?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I’m not 100 years old.

This rule is stupid - I’m not sure what Johnny Majors has to do with.

You have 85 scholarships. You should be able to fill them. Who cares how many were given away in the last 12 months.

The idea this rule is protecting kids doesn’t seem to have any evidence because the roster churn everywhere is growing and has been for years.

The idea that there are kids happy to be stuck in a doghouse with no line of sight for playing time but happy to go through to motions so they dont have to change schools and this rule saves them sounds like utter fantasy.

The market will regulate the behavior better than the NCAA’s pile of rules. LOL at the idea any rules exist for the kids. Every last one exists for the schools which make them.

Reaction Score
The idea that there are kids happy to be stuck in a doghouse with no line of sight for playing time but happy to go through to motions so they dont have to change schools and this rule saves them sounds like utter fantasy.

You were recruited to play at Alabama and red shirted your freshman year. They brought in two highly recruited players for your position and you are lost on the bench. You either leave to play elsewhere or stay at Alabama, get a degree and go to multiple SEC and National Championships. Take home all of the spoils that those wins provide plus the cache that you were on multiple championship teams at Alabama. You are a lesser legend in Alabama for the rest of your life. Tell everyone how you got into the game to block the edge on the final PAT when Alabama made the score 31 to 14. Not a bad life as you move onto a career in business. I can see it happening!

Reaction Score
The idea this rule is protecting kids doesn’t seem to have any evidence because the roster churn everywhere is growing and has been for years.

What are you talking about? Here is a chart of transfers by sport over the past 15 years. Football transfers (defined as 2 year college to 4 year college and 4 year college to 4 year college) has been relatively stable for 15 years!

Reaction Score
it’s the worst team in the country and you don’t think playing down 8 scholarships on day 1 of camp is an issue?

thats some galaxy brain stuff right there
What makes you think it is the worst team in the country?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Here is a chart of transfers by sport over the past 15 years. Football transfers (defined as 2 year college to 4 year college and 4 year college to 4 year college) has been relatively stable for 15 years!

View attachment 45251
This 25 man rule has only been in place for a few years, I think less than 5. Compared to that chart it doesn’t you show the rule did much to curb a problem- if their was a problem.

I don’t understand why people aren’t bothered that UConn and dozens of other schools will have many unused scholarships yet again this year because of this stupid rule. UConn could be supporting as many as six to eight more kids with a free education. That’s an true unintended consequence if there ever was one.

And how come some of you have lost sight of the fact that hundreds of kids are in the portal right now destine for FCS or lower only because this stupid rule denies them a seat.

The portal has become a nightmare for many kids- many who could be at a new school, but denied a slot because of this silly rule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And Whaler, before the 105 scholarship limit was implemented in 1973, schools could have unlimited football scholarships and some schools had up to 150 kids on scholarship! Roster churn was much higher than you see today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom