Nets waive Boatright | The Boneyard

Nets waive Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Ugh. I can literally see the Barclays Center from my bedroom. I was really excited at the prospect of seeing Boat play in Brooklyn...

That said, I'm not worried about Boat. He'll catch on somewhere. #HeartOfALion

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So you like Sloan and Larkin better? I personally have no idea, as I don't watch much NBA. Just curious.

The idea that a cohort of college basketball fans with varying levels of NBA observance/familiarity with the aforementioned players is better equipped to make personnel decisions is laughable, much less so when the player that didn't make the cut directly provided these fans with immense levels of personal satisfaction in an unrelated context. Bottom line, if being a GM were that easy, we'd all be getting paid to do it. And we are biased in Boatright's favor because we loved him as a Husky, and his performance as a Husky brought us joy, so we feel obligated to put him ahead of others no matter what. It happens with many recent former UConn players hit the league - Jeremy Lamb didn't play because Scott Brooks was a horrible coach (granted, he was pretty crummy but that wasn't why Lamb rode the pine), the Heat should've been playing Shabazz more regardless of how well or poorly he performed...jeez, I would've hated to be on prior incarnations of this board when Kevin Ollie was cut by half a dozen teams. Did people rank on their coaches and GMs too?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Also FWIW: if schmoes like Arsalan Kazemi and Jack Cooley can get cut, then claimed off waivers and become the beneficiary of second chances, Boat definitely can.

Reaction Score
So you like Sloan and Larkin better? I personally have no idea, as I don't watch much NBA. Just curious.
Those guys have guaranteed contracts that counts money toward the cap. I believe Nets are over the cap and will pay X amount of money plus penalty if you keep adding. Boat has no official contract. That is why Harden got traded from OKC.

Reaction Score
The idea that a cohort of college basketball fans with varying levels of NBA observance/familiarity with the aforementioned players is better equipped to make personnel decisions is laughable, much less so when the player that didn't make the cut directly provided these fans with immense levels of personal satisfaction in an unrelated context. Bottom line, if being a GM were that easy, we'd all be getting paid to do it. And we are biased in Boatright's favor because we loved him as a Husky, and his performance as a Husky brought us joy, so we feel obligated to put him ahead of others no matter what. It happens with many recent former UConn players hit the league - Jeremy Lamb didn't play because Scott Brooks was a horrible coach (granted, he was pretty crummy but that wasn't why Lamb rode the pine), the Heat should've been playing Shabazz more regardless of how well or poorly he performed...jeez, I would've hated to be on prior incarnations of this board when Kevin Ollie was cut by half a dozen teams. Did people rank on their coaches and GMs too?
I have league pass every season and have watched enough of Shane Larkin to know what he is and I've seen enough of Boatright to know Boat has more upside. Sloane, I know very little about but from the little I watched of him in preseason I was left unimpressed. The Nets are going to suck no matter who they waive and keep but there is a reason they are a terrible franchise, they are run poorly. Of course UConn fans are going to have blue glasses to a degree but bringing up Scotty Brooks and Lamb is a weak example. Brooks was a horrible coach, Lamb is no savior but he is good enough that he shouldn't have been sitting next to the towel boy the whole season.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The blue glasses are real.
C'mon, you end up sounding like you think you're the only one here who can rise above the rabble and see things as they really are.
And considering we have at least five other people who think that, the job is filled.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It wasn't Larkin vs Boatright, it was Sloan vs Boatright.

Sloan is terrible, but he's been in the league for four years and he's just an order of magnitude bigger than Boatright.

More size, more experience.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I have league pass every season and have watched enough of Shane Larkin to know what he is and I've seen enough of Boatright to know Boat has more upside. Sloane, I know very little about but from the little I watched of him in preseason I was left unimpressed. The Nets are going to suck no matter who they waive and keep but there is a reason they are a terrible franchise, they are run poorly. Of course UConn fans are going to have blue glasses to a degree but bringing up Scotty Brooks and Lamb is a weak example. Brooks was a horrible coach, Lamb is no savior but he is good enough that he shouldn't have been sitting next to the towel boy the whole season.

I'm not denying your knowledge of the NBA from a fan's perspective. We're where we are because of that goshdarn Celtics trade, not because of who our 3rd string PG is. Objectively I think that Boat would've been a better option than Sloan, but not by enough to get upset about. I mainly wanted Boat to make the team because a) I know he's worked hard the past 4 years, b) his family could use the money, and c) if he's playing in Brooklyn I'm a 20-minute subway ride away from seeing him play. But from the perspective of an exec in charge of personnel, those are shiity reasons, and I admit that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Boat could be taking the Ollie route. I'm sure KO is on the phone with him today telling him what he needs to do. A big part for someone like Boat making the NBA is not giving up. At some point he'll find the right opportunity.
I agree FWIW. Boat is talented, but it's diminutive and needs to be incredibly dynamic to find a place. In a way, Boat reminds me a bit of El-Amin. Obviously way more athletic, but Khalid never lasted too long in the NBA. He's had much more success overseas. I hope Boat finds the right place - I believe he's talented enough. But if not, He can still make good $$ overseas...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I wasn't questioning that part of it and completely understood where you were going with that. I simply wanted your opinion on the personnel, as I don't watch much NBA.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This isn't the worst thing for Boat.

He had a respectable preseason and by hitting the waiver wire early, he has a chance to get a look somewhere else.

I know he can make some money overseas, but he might be better served by staying local in the D League.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Quincy Miller, one of the other players waved in that cohort, already signed with a Serbian team. So I think the odds are good that Boat will have a new contract very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom