Nets waive Boatright | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nets waive Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Where do the people who make NYC run actually live? As Manhattan has gotten so obscenely expensive in the last decade or so I'm left wondering where the restaurant workers live, the cops, fireman, teachers, delivery drivers, cab drivers, construction workers etc.? People with high paying jobs can't afford Manhattan where the hell do the regular Joes live? Most people who used to think they could afford Manhattan have moved to Brooklyn which has priced so many out of Brooklyn, my guess is Queens will soon be too expensive for many.

See my comments above re Brooklyn. "Brooklyn" is not expensive. Parts of Brooklyn are expensive. Other parts aren't. Brooklyn is big: with some exceptions, the farther from Manhattan, the cheaper it is. Most of Queens is affordable. Harlem is affordable. Staten Island is affordable. Manhattan is a tiny island. The people you're talking about, if they don't have rent-stabilized apartments or aren't living in apartments they inherited, live in one of the outer-boroughs.

There are some funny stereotypes being perpetuated here. Most Brooklyn "hipsters" aren't living off of Mommy & Daddy's money. They're working to pay their rent, and saving basically nothing. People come to NY for adventure and/or to pursue their artistic dreams, and they're willing to live in a shoebox to do it.

Reaction Score
There are some decent shows there. Yeah, give me a heads up.

That's my concern. We've got a 2BR apartment and if we have more than 1 kid, we'll have to move. At that point, we won't be able to find a 3BR below $2M. Ugh.

My cousin’s family in Park Slope just made that decision. With 2 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment in Park Slope with the oldest a year away from Kindergarten, they made the move to Jersey. She is OK with it as she grew-up in Bergen County (they moved to Union county); but it killed her husband who was born and raised in Brooklyn (went to Catholic schools). He was so committed to Brooklyn that he commuted for the last 5 years to a job at Prudential in Newark.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There are some funny stereotypes being perpetuated here. Most Brooklyn "hipsters" aren't living off of Mommy & Daddy's money. They're working to pay their rent, and saving basically nothing. People come to NY for adventure and/or to pursue their artistic dreams, and they're willing to live in a shoebox to do it.

More speaking about Williamsburg hipsters. And hipsters in general. It's usually middle class kids in most places. The real artists don't seem to be as worried about those affectations.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
More speaking about Williamsburg hipsters. And hipsters in general. It's usually middle class kids in most places. The real artists don't seem to be as worried about those affectations.

I think you're overgeneralizing to a significant degree. "Middle class" is a very broad term. Kids living in Bed-Stuy aren't Trustafarians, even if their parents give them a few hundred dollars to go towards their rent in their shared 4-bedroom, 1 bath apartment.

Look, I recognize that there is a greater concentration of hipsters in Brooklyn that most places. And sure, a lot of them come from upper-middle-class families. But most don't. Believe it, don't believe it. I live here, and that's my experience.

The "real" artists (what's a fake artist?) DO worry about affectations. It's part of what gives them an edge, whether they paint or sculpt or do modern dance or play the bass.

Anyway, you know who doesn't live in Brooklyn anymore? Ryan Boatright.

Reaction Score

They built artist housing downtown in Boston called the "Ink Block," and it's like $2500/mo for a 1bdr. The only artists who can afford that are the ones who are living off of their parents.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They built artist housing downtown in Boston called the "Ink Block," and it's like $2500/mo for a 1bdr. The only artists who can afford that are the ones who are living off of their parents.

Hahahah. I'm well familiar with Boston hipsters, but hadn't heard of that. Ammo for my self-righteous war chest.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think you're overgeneralizing to a significant degree. "Middle class" is a very broad term. Kids living in Bed-Stuy aren't Trustafarians, even if their parents give them a few hundred dollars to go towards their rent in their shared 4-bedroom, 1 bath apartment.

Look, I recognize that there is a greater concentration of hipsters in Brooklyn that most places. And sure, a lot of them come from upper-middle-class families. But most don't. Believe it, don't believe it. I live here, and that's my experience.

The "real" artists (what's a fake artist?) DO worry about affectations. It's part of what gives them an edge, whether they paint or sculpt or do modern dance or play the bass.

Anyway, you know who doesn't live in Brooklyn anymore? Ryan Boatright.

When you make any assumption or categorization of a group of people, you are generalizing. But you have to do it to make any sense of the world. There's always exceptions.

I'm well familiar with hipsters in general (on both individual and group levels), but haven't been to Brooklyn in ages, so defer to you on the locals. When I was speaking of real artists, I'm talking about the type that will go without eating for days to buy paint, willing to bleed for their art so to speak. They dress all sorts of ways obviously, but often avant garde or very plain, as they don't bother wasting money on clothes. I find a lot of hipsters 'dabble' in art because it's trendy, not because their life depends on it. JMO

Reaction Score
I lived in a loft in Williamsburg for a couple years...1984-86. 108 N. 6th Street, above a meat packing plant. There was nothing there, a polish diner and laundromat on Bedford. Six people lived on my block, four in my building and two across the street. Two architects, two artists, a musician and an accountant (he was a cool accountant though, Billy Idol was his client).

We had a crazy drunk landlord named John Henry who was buying these old buildings and installing loft living spaces (probably without permits).I thoroughly regret not buying a building then.:oops:

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
At least you have Islanders hockey and a new Artichoke Pizza haha.

(I used to live in Park Slope)
Just got a slice from that Artichoke. Unlike Ryan Boatright, the slice was mediocre. Just like Park Slope.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don't know, I feel like some of those craft people who set up at SoWa market near the inkblock probably rake in a lot of dough. But I didn't know that was 'artist' housing, the new Whole Foods is right there so it makes sense!

Reaction Score

Buffalo $400 http://www.artspace.org/our-places/artspace-buffalo-lofts
A similar space in Buffalo is normally $1000 ($700 for a small 1Bdr).
And this is why the city is having a pretty big influx of people over the last 5 years.
15.5k sub 30 year olds moved here in last 3 years.
For a city of 220k, not bad (suburbs are over 1 million in population).
Also add 3k immigrants per year (C. America, SE Asia, Ethiopia and Sudan)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't know, I feel like some of those craft people who set up at SoWa market near the inkblock probably rake in a lot of dough. But I didn't know that was 'artist' housing, the new Whole Foods is right there so it makes sense!

Hipsters LOVE wholefoods.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Buffalo $400 http://www.artspace.org/our-places/artspace-buffalo-lofts
A similar space in Buffalo is normally $1000 ($700 for a small 1Bdr).
And this is why the city is having a pretty big influx of people over the last 5 years.
15.5k sub 30 year olds moved here in last 3 years.
For a city of 220k, not bad (suburbs are over 1 million in population).
Also add 3k immigrants per year (C. America, SE Asia, Ethiopia and Sudan)

Now that is a good idea. Especially for a city like Buffalo that isn't exactly a cultural mecca. Good way to build that. Good business. intlzncster two thumbs up.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Just checked that out and it's pretty impressive! For 2500/mo it better be.

Reaction Score
Now that is a good idea. Especially for a city like Buffalo that isn't exactly a cultural mecca. Good way to build that. Good business. intlzncster two thumbs up.

Truth is, Buffalo has a wealth of culture. What it doesn't have is a lot of people or jobs. Culturals are the remains of a very rich past. What happens is that industry winds down, and all the foundations pour their money into philanthropy. So you have few people and lots of dough for culturals. Last night I was having dinner with donors from Toronto and London here in Buffalo--part of the relic foundations. So, I wouldn't recommend Buff unless you want to start a brewery or maybe you're in BioMed or banking, but for artists there is some piles of cash lying around. It used to be cheap to buy homes here--not anymore. Though the burbs are still pretty cheap, prices in the city have skyrocketed.

Reaction Score
Truth is, Buffalo has a wealth of culture. What it doesn't have is a lot of people or jobs. Culturals are the remains of a very rich past. What happens is that industry winds down, and all the foundations pour their money into philanthropy. So you have few people and lots of dough for culturals. Last night I was having dinner with donors from Toronto and London here in Buffalo--part of the relic foundations. So, I wouldn't recommend Buff unless you want to start a brewery or maybe you're in BioMed or banking, but for artists there is some piles of cash lying around. It used to be cheap to buy homes here--not anymore. Though the burbs are still pretty cheap, prices in the city have skyrocketed.
My sister lives in Buffalo. She went to school there. Got a job there. Kept saying she'd leave and then never did. I was surprised how vibrant and hip some areas of Buffalo were. I wasn't, however, looking for a job. I think your post explains some of the disconnect. It also verifies what I've seen with Buffalo residents and migrants. Every one I meet is tremendously loyal to Buffalo, but many feel they need to leave and don't go back.

I ran the Buffalo half marathon (my wife, the full) so we got to see a lot of different neighborhoods. Afterwards, I looked at some real estate listings out of curiosity. It looks like it's all or nothing. The beautiful old mansions which were amazing are pretty expensive, while smaller places are cheap compared to other cities.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Just got a slice from that Artichoke. Unlike Ryan Boatright, the slice was mediocre. Just like Park Slope.

I love the near 2am timestamp from when this post was made. In fact, I'm not sure if anyone has ever ate Artichoke before midnight.

Reaction Score
My sister lives in Buffalo. She went to school there. Got a job there. Kept saying she'd leave and then never did. I was surprised how vibrant and hip some areas of Buffalo were. I wasn't, however, looking for a job. I think your post explains some of the disconnect. It also verifies what I've seen with Buffalo residents and migrants. Every one I meet is tremendously loyal to Buffalo, but many feel they need to leave and don't go back.

I ran the Buffalo half marathon (my wife, the full) so we got to see a lot of different neighborhoods. Afterwards, I looked at some real estate listings out of curiosity. It looks like it's all or nothing. The beautiful old mansions which were amazing are pretty expensive, while smaller places are cheap compared to other cities.

you nailed it

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah and who could have thunk this? :rolleyes: "Kentucky coach John Calipari has a strong interest in the Team USA coaching position, per CBS Sports."
I don't see Jerry Colangelo biting on that one, given both Cal's lack of success in the pros, and how much more rigor and importance the USA BB program has received in recent years. I'd be surprised if he got it.

Yep, It's Popovich. Cal can suck it.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
So much for Boatright news, haha.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So much for Boatright news, haha.
Someday, in "Back to the Future" Boatright will find a home in Buffalo and then after changing his name to Boatwright will move to Brooklyn.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Alright, I'll bite and turn this back into a Boatright thread.

The Trail Blazers are expected to sort out their roster situation over the next couple days and they have been mentioned as being interested in Boatright. They're currently carrying two third-string point guards, Tim Frazier and Phil Pressey. Boatright would add a third to the mix. How does Boat measure up compared to Frazier and Pressey? Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom